NFL DISCUSSION - 2011 -

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Bernard Pollard destroyed Tom Brady's knee in 2008, was the closest player to Wes Welker when he blew out his knee in 2009, and rolled up on Gronkowski's ankle last night. He has a funny knack for falling down on the legs of Patriots and injuring them. Either that, or he plays dirty.

• I still can't believe the Giants won SB 42. I'll never forgive them for denying us the chance to witness a perfect season......& I'm not a Pats fan

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Eff the Pats.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Eff the Pats.

Word up. I wish there was an even more soul-crushing way for them to lose this time.

• I will be riding for the G-men for purely selfish, SF-centric reasons, namely the several Montana/Niners records Brady could stand to break if victorious.

That and I know and love NY as a place, whereas Boston I've never visited and I hate Ben Affleck.

rootlesscosmo said:
    someone said that victory over the Ravens was the Pats' first win over a winning team this whole season.

can anyone confirm that?

(I'm kidding; I know it's true.)

Someone said San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith has as much chance of playing in this year's Super Bowl as 18th-century economist Adam Smith. Can anyone confirm that?

b/w

Tell your boys to ghost ride the golf cart, 'cause their season???and yours???is over.

^^^^^

Yeah, I know that's extra dated, but besides hating on championship teams, nobody knows what the hell San Francisco is up to these days.

• Who's hating on championship teams? We have five rings. We good. And we'll be back. Your dudes would kill for our D.

And as for the odds of Alex Smith going to the Super Bowl? Yeah NO SHIT; talk about an improbable season (did you miss it?). Alex Smith (Alex fucking SMITH!?) was actually one fumbled punt return away from heading to Indy.

So yeah; thanks for acknowledging what a truly amazing fucking season my boys had. We went from 6-10 to 14-4 in the span of one very short season, and beat a shit ton more above-500 teams that the Pats did, several times E of the Mississippi (an historic weakness of ours). I still can't believe it myself.

And yet it happened.

• And if you're interested in what SF is up to; ask your man Brady. He's from here.

Speaking of championship teams, you may wanna ask him about the SF Giants while you're at it. He's a big fan.

(Ghost riding >>> Brady dick riding.)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    RAJ said:

Whoa. We've all been there, but not there there. At least his friends (?), "the fair-weather Patriots fans," seemed to take it in stride and didn't get up to leave immediately. ... "I thought that was going to go into OT." ...

• Did you see this one from last week?

Embedding isn't working for some reason

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    heading to Indy

I've known the location of Super Bowl XLVI for a while now but that's the first time I ever saw "heading to Indy" used like that -- it's somehow starling

rootlesscosmo said:
    Who's hating on championship teams? We have five rings. We good. And we'll be back. Your dudes would kill for our D.

And as for the odds of Alex Smith going to the Super Bowl? Yeah NO SHIT; talk about an improbable season (did you miss it?). Alex Smith (Alex fucking SMITH!?) was actually one fumbled punt return away from heading to Indy.

So yeah; thanks for acknowledging what a truly amazing fucking season my boys had. We went from 6-10 to 14-4 in the span of one very short season, and beat a shit ton more above-500 teams that the Pats did, several times E of the Mississippi (an historic weakness of ours). I still can't believe it myself.

And yet it happened.

Bro. Bro, bro, bro. Your boys were excellent this year. Had the best defense in the league, in my opinion. I know this and credit them for it. Thought they were a dangerous matchup for the Pats, should that come to pass. But you talk sideways, with sore loser styles. Dissing my Pats, despite the lack of provocation???our teams haven't met this year or in recent years, and have offered neither insult nor injury to your team. So yes, best believe I take that the wrong way. Be satisfied with a good season and excited for the years to come with a good young team of your own that will almost certainly get better. But hate on my Pats and you sound mad, doggy. Don't be mad.

• Okey dokey.

One side effect of winning our division is that we play you guys next year...in Foxborough...

BTW don't know if you ride for the Red Sox but they signed Cody Ross today I believe.

Now somebody wake me for MLB opening day please....gnite.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Bernard Pollard destroyed Tom Brady's knee in 2008, was the closest player to Wes Welker when he blew out his knee in 2009, and rolled up on Gronkowski's ankle last night. He has a funny knack for falling down on the legs of Patriots and injuring them. Either that, or he plays dirty.

TELL EM WHY YOU MAD SUN!!!

all these neo-soft-soap Pats fans been on about "o I feel bad for the Ravens, Ed Reed deserved a SB, weepity weep weep"

EFF THAT SCHITT it was a nationwide party when the Pats blew it in 08 and they'll love it they lose again, so save your tears for the poor Ravens.

An interesting little piece from Boston.com: Why Everyone Hates the Patriots

Don't need an article to tell me that...IT WAS A FUMBLE!!!!

• DB_Cooper said:
    An interesting little piece from Boston.com: Why Everyone Hates the Patriots

the poll results at the end were hilarious.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's all about #9: J.O.E.

• anyone feel bad for Peyton?

Some observations about this super bowl and peyton:

His career is over and he's about to be released
    Replacement by younger version of himself
    His little brother, if he wins, will pass him for SB wins
    If Tom Brady wins, he's definitely considered the better QB
    The game is being played in his stadium
    The kicker...wait for it...wait for it....TOM BRADY WILL BE USING HIS LOCKER!!!!

Who do you have today?

I had the Giants two weeks a go. BUT??? They are sounding way too cocky in the press.

Pats finish off their homage to Myra Kraft and win by two touchdowns.

Clearly, this thing could go either way. It's all going to come down to game-plan dictated matchups and execution.

The Giants are a well-rounded team with a strong pass rush but a weak secondary on defense, and a mediocre running game and an effective passing attack when Eli is sharp on offense. The Pats have a fairly effective run defense, a mediocre pass rush, and a secondary that gives up a lot of mid-range passes but tightens up in the red zone on defense, and a mediocre running game and an unrelenting passing attack that creates very difficult matchups for defenders on offense.

Giants offense/Pats defense
    The Giant passing attack could be very problematic for the Patriot secondary if Eli is on, and I could see them driving downfield effectively. The Patriot red zone defense is better than most people realize, but if Eli can execute, the Giants could put up 30.

Pats offense/Giants defense
    The Giant pass rush can create serious problems if they can get to Brady consistently. But Belichik can game plan against that with short passes, Hernandez in the backfield, and a few draws. That then opens up the passing game, where bad tight end matchups with Gronk and Hernandez alternating with Welker going across the middle and hitting a few slants and deep outs could make things a nightmare for the Giants defense. This is predicated on Brady being Brady at his best though. If he gives up four turnovers like last time, we'll lose again. I could see the Pats putting up as few as 21 and as many 45 points.

In the end, it will come down to quarterback execution. A very good Tom Brady can beat a great Eli Manning. My prediction: 42-27 Pats.

Somehow I think Peyton Manning is going to pull off the win today...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Gronk

Not quite Tokyo Sexwale, but that's still an awesome name. Please tell me he's built like a brick shit-house, East European, monosylabic, eats rocks, drives a car with square wheels etc.

• Damn, so Vince Wilfork can play DT & mime along with Madonna on stage at halftime!

Nice drive to end the first half for NE

Woah. Great Superbowl.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Watching Boston teams lose big games ranks up there with blowjobs and chocolate donuts in my personal pantheon of Great Things. Great job by the G-Men.

• These two teams need to play every year. Is it just me, or was the sequel better than the original? Amazing Super Bowl. And once again,

I BELIEVE...IN ELI!

I feel sorry for the Patriots to some degree, though. They just can't seem to get that Spygate monkey off their backs. Yet.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    asstro said:
    Watching Boston teams lose big games ranks up there with blowjobs and chocolate donuts in my personal pantheon of Great Things. Great job by the G-Men.
    blowjobs and chocolate donuts? weird choices for the pantheon buddy. i'd rather get laid.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    congrats to the giants. that game was a heartbreaker for me