Occupy Wallstreet 9/17 .... and now

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It is true that the police have exercised a degree of discipline in handling the demonstrators. In this sense they have conducted themselves rather "nonviolently" in public. But for what purpose? To preserve the evil system of segregation. Over the past few years I have consistently preached that nonviolence demands that the means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek. I have tried to make clear that it is wrong to use immoral means to attain moral ends. But now I must affirm that it is just as wrong, or perhaps even more so, to use moral means to preserve immoral ends. Perhaps Mr. Connor and his policemen have been rather nonviolent in public, as was Chief Pritchett in Albany, Georgia, but they have used the moral means of nonviolence to maintain the immoral end of racial injustice. As T. S. Eliot has said: "The last temptation is the greatest treason: To do the right deed for the wrong reason."

I wish you had commended the Negro sit inners and demonstrators of Birmingham for their sublime courage, their willingness to suffer and their amazing discipline in the midst of great provocation. One day the South will recognize its real heroes. They will be the James Merediths, with the noble sense of purpose that enables them to face jeering and hostile mobs, and with the agonizing loneliness that characterizes the life of the pioneer. They will be old, oppressed, battered Negro women, symbolized in a seventy two year old woman in Montgomery, Alabama, who rose up with a sense of dignity and with her people decided not to ride segregated buses, and who responded with ungrammatical profundity to one who inquired about her weariness: "My feets is tired, but my soul is at rest." They will be the young high school and college students, the young ministers of the gospel and a host of their elders, courageously and nonviolently sitting in at lunch counters and willingly going to jail for conscience' sake. One day the South will know that when these disinherited children of God sat down at lunch counters, they were in reality standing up for what is best in the American dream and for the most sacred values in our Judaeo Christian heritage, thereby bringing our nation back to those great wells of democracy which were dug deep by the founding fathers in their formulation of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

Never before have I written so long a letter. I'm afraid it is much too long to take your precious time. I can assure you that it would have been much shorter if I had been writing from a comfortable desk, but what else can one do when he is alone in a narrow jail cell, other than write long letters, think long thoughts and pray long prayers?

If I have said anything in this letter that overstates the truth and indicates an unreasonable impatience, I beg you to forgive me. If I have said anything that understates the truth and indicates my having a patience that allows me to settle for anything less than brotherhood, I beg God to forgive me.

I hope this letter finds you strong in the faith. I also hope that circumstances will soon make it possible for me to meet each of you, not as an integrationist or a civil-rights leader but as a fellow clergyman and a Christian brother. Let us all hope that the dark clouds of racial prejudice will soon pass away and the deep fog of misunderstanding will be lifted from our fear drenched communities, and in some not too distant tomorrow the radiant stars of love and brotherhood will shine over our great nation with all their scintillating beauty.

Yours for the cause of Peace and Brotherhood, Martin Luther King, Jr.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Brian said:

I've maintained a consistent stance of responsibility for everyone; including individuals.

Bloomberg committed a clear crime ignoring the court order not to tear up the park. There is no ambiguity here. He then went on television and bragged about his crime.
    THIS IS WHAT THE PROTESTS ARE ABOUT.
    You along with Rock will not admit that crimes were committed in the mortgage industry. Not maybe, not we should look into this, but admitted to criminal acts.

Get it together brah.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    z_illa said:
    You along with Rock will not admit that crimes were committed in the mortgage industry. Not maybe, not we should look into this, but admitted to criminal acts.

Get it together brah.
    A citation for this would be greatly appreciated. Then maybe I can address me not addressing Bloomberg.

Around the nation Occupy camps have been living the kind of independent, responsible, survivalist lifestyle, sans guns and gold, that Brian pines for.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Around the nation Occupy camps have been living the kind of independent, responsible, survivalist lifestyle, sans guns and gold, that Brian pines for.
    They aren't procuring their own food or water (probably purchased from another evil corporation), so no.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Brian said:
    z_illa said:

Get it together brah.
    A citation for this would be greatly appreciated. Then maybe I can address me not addressing Bloomberg.

and the protesters are lazy and uninformed!

Brian said:
    LaserWolf said:
    They aren't procuring their own food or water (probably purchased from another evil corporation), so no.

But they are.
    Do you mean they are not growing it themselves?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    z_illa said:
    Brian said:
    z_illa said:

Get it together brah.

and the protesters are lazy and uninformed!
    Still waiting on that citation bro.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Brian said:
    LaserWolf said:

But they are.
    In order to become a true survivalist you must either grow or hunt for your food.

Brian said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Brian said:
    LaserWolf said:

But they are.
    In order to become a true survivalist you must either grow or hunt for your food.

I went down there this weekend with my bil.
    He used to live off the grid, is a gun & gold collector and is ready for when things fall apart.
    He always likes to talk about eating cats and dogs when the time comes.
    I think the occupy folks would be hunting for squirrels and rats.

btw, growing and hunting is not an either or, you need to do both.

Been keeping quiet on my conspiracy theories on why all the Occupy camps have been attacked this week.
    It is now being reported that Homeland Security (who were involved in attacks on Terry Shrunk Park here in Portland) helped to coordinate the attacks.

Stay tuned.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    , survivalist lifestyle.

No.

Sween said:
    LaserWolf said:
    , survivalist lifestyle.

No.

Urban survivalist lifestyle?

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    Sween said:
    LaserWolf said:
    , survivalist lifestyle.

No.

Homeless?

Sween said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Sween said:
    LaserWolf said:
    , survivalist lifestyle.

No.

Homeless?

Same thing.

• Options
    LaserWolf said:
    Sween said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Sween said:
    LaserWolf said:
    , survivalist lifestyle.

No.

Homeless?

Same thing.

Exactly.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    Brian said:
    z_illa said:

Get it together brah.
    A citation for this would be greatly appreciated.

No, you wouldn't appreciate it, and you sure as shit wouldn't let it penetrate your thick glibertarian skull. Facts about the mortgage industry have been posted here over and over again, but you have your "Congress forced banks to lend to minorities and poor people" meme that's a creation of Fox News and you're sticking with it, even though it's the worst sort of bullshit.
    I've never once said that predatory lenders or any other fraudulent activity relating to mortgages did not exist; that's absurd. I also never once said anything about forcing banks to lend to minorities or poor people and have also never watched Fox News voluntarily. What I've been saying from the start of this thread is that the root cause of this problem is artificial demand created by various policies in order to boost home ownership. We could throw every cocksucker who dared to even write a mortgage in jail and the structural problem would still exist. Yes, I believe that anyone involved in anything remotely fraudulent should probably be punished for their actions. I also believe that creating an environment in which fraudulent activity is not only encouraged but brushed aside should receive equal consideration.

• I would love to know how many of these young idiots that don't have shit to do have parents who have ties to big banks and corporate america. I worked two jobs and went to college full time I was not sitting around waiting for someone to hold my hand all the way into the interview.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    analog_tape said:
    I would love to know how many of these young idiots that don't have shit to do have parents who have ties to big banks and corporate america. I worked two jobs and went to college full time I was not sitting around waiting for someone to hold my hand all the way into the interview.

How did you manage to work two jobs and go to college yet stay so hopelessly out of touch? The employment rate of Occupy protesters has been reported to be between 75-85%, not entirely unrepresentative of the national unemployment rate right now. And, more importantly, no one is really out in the streets right now simply because they personally can't get a job. Anyone with any intuition or understanding of world events (the kind you can get from working or going to college) understand that the outrage is about curbing the balance of power in this country, which has been legislated by the 1% to crush the 99%. Even if you're fine with that balance of power, you have to at least acknowledge that that's what all the fuss is about.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,783 Posts
    Not there yet, but made me think of this track...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    analog_tape said:
    I would love to know how many of these young idiots that don't have shit to do have parents who have ties to big banks and corporate america. I worked two jobs and went to college full time I was not sitting around waiting for someone to hold my hand all the way into the interview.

What difference does it make what any of their parents do? What did yours do?

Do you want a cookie for working two jobs while going to school? Do you think your the only one that ever did that?

Get over yourself.

• FrankieMeltzer said:
    fauxteur said:

Shades of another moment in Pig History:

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/yes-of-course-pepper-spray-is-torture.html

Casual sadism. Anyone backing the cops on shit like this are in dire need of a taste for themselves.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    fauxteur said:

Shades of another moment in Pig History:

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/yes-of-course-pepper-spray-is-torture.html

Casual sadism. Anyone backing the cops on shit like this are in dire need of a taste for themselves.

The pepper-spraying officer in question has been identified as John Pike and while his number has been mailbox-full today, here is what seems to be the work contact info for him and his superior.

http://police.ucdavis.edu/campus-services/support-services-division

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Not beating everyone equally hard, regardless of age, sex, race/color, class/SES, disability, or national origin, would be discrimination. If old ladies believed they couldn't catch one too, who knows what they'd start doing, or how they'd be used.

Reynaldo said:
    or how they'd be used.

You have a sick, sick mind sir.

In regards to discrimination, a war vet has also been beaten until his spleen was ruptured, so maybe they are being fair: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/18/occupy-oakland-police-beating-veteran

In other news...

Following on from the pizza-ruling, I LOL'd.