Occupy Wallstreet 9/17 .... and now

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    NY WTF IS GOING ON?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    http://twitter.com/#!/JoshHarkinson

A voice on the ground.

• so i guess the moral is that if you want your voice heard, hire a lobbyist.

either that or stop electing idiots.

The guy who wrote The Dark Knight, Sin City and 300 turns out to be a bit of a fascist. Who'd have thought?

• DocMcCoy said:
    The guy who wrote The Dark Knight, Sin City and 300 turns out to be a bit of a fascist. Who'd have thought?

v for vendetta? guy fawkes? hilariously ironic usage of masks?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    DocMcCoy said:

v for vendetta? guy fawkes? hilariously ironic usage of masks?

No, that's Alan Moore of Watchmen fame. Would've thought the English setting gave it away a bit, but that would've got in the way of a bit of oh the irony I guess.

• i stand corrected.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Occupy Portland, home for hundreds of people, received 72 hour eviction notice.

Occupy Wall Street, home to thousands, received zero notice and was evicted by a riot squad at 1 a.m., which subsequently destroyed their tents, seized all of their possessions, and disposed of it all, calling it "trash". Looks like things are beginning to escalate.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    A New York state judge this morning enjoined the city from keeping the protesters out of Zuccotti Park, but Mayor Bloomberg is simply ignoring the Order and deliberately breaking the law by refusing to allow them back in. Put another way, Bloomberg this morning has broken more laws than the hundreds of protesters who were arrested. But as we know, the law does not apply to the Michael Bloombergs of the nation; the law, instead, has simply been exploited into a weapon used by the politically and financially powerful to prevent challenges to their standing.

Could #OWS have scripted a more apt antagonist than this living, breathing personification of oligarchy: a Wall Street billionaire who so brazenly purchased his political office, engineered the overturning of a term-limits referendum and then spent more than $100 million of his person fortune to stay in power, and now resides well above the law?
    link

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    CLEANING DAY

• Reynaldo said:
    CLEANING DAY

• The Man shut down Occupy Denver, The Man shut down Occupy Portland, and now The Man shut down Occupy Wall Street.
    Hopefully these will re-populate because so far, in The People VS The Man, it looks like The Man is winning.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    The Man shut down Occupy Denver, The Man shut down Occupy Portland, and now The Man shut down Occupy Wall Street.
    Hopefully these will re-populate because so far, in The People VS The Man, it looks like The Man is winning.

I can only speak for what I see in Portland. "The Man" is not winning.
    The police now occupy Lownesdale and Chapman Squares and Homeland Security has control of Terry Shrunk Plaza. More than 50 people (how many more is unclear) were arrested and released. I think only one person was hospitalized.

Occupy continues to hold daily meetings in other downtown parks.
    Occupy continues to organize actions.
    Occupy continues to serve dinner to the hungry.
    Occupy continues to call for economic justice.

While the city does have control of 2 parks (and the feds one) they have not succeeded in ridding the city of the Occupy movement. There are still homeless people with nowhere to sleep but in the parks and sidewalks of the city and still crime. Their stated reasons for closing the parks, to end crime and people sleeping outside, have not been successful.

Many religious leaders were downtown as observers when the police swept in. Nothing radicalizes a person as much as getting a billy club in the back when you are peacefully standing on the sidewalk and attempting to follow police orders. The downtown churches are opening up to Occupy. If anything the movement is growing.

They aint won shit.

TAKE UP ARMS, YOU PUSSIES!

Non-violence will just get you a better disguised screwing.

• Reynaldo said:
    TAKE UP ARMS, YOU PUSSIES!

You first.

• horse...rey is the 1%. he will have his groundskeepers take up arms if we set foot on his estate.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i don't understand how squatting on private property is covered under the first amendment. plz explain

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Brian said:
    i don't understand how squatting on private property is covered under the first amendment. plz explain

If a squatter(s) is on private property the legal owner of that property can have them removed by calling the authorities.

If they don't, and enough time passes, that's when "squatters rights" come in to play

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    The Man shut down Occupy Denver, The Man shut down Occupy Portland, and now The Man shut down Occupy Wall Street.

Peaceful protest has been banned, so I guess it's time for guerrilla vandalism.

How about we try the ballot box first?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    TheKindCromang said:

i will give my left nut if even half the people protesting were registered to vote, both of them if even 10% of them actually went out and voted.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ok guerilla vandalism (lol wtf is this) bro
    yeah dawgz acting like a bunch of homeless people didn't work so let's do some GUERILLA VANDALISM
    GUERILLA VANDALISM sounds like terrorist fistbump shit

FrankieMeltzer said:
    I mean pressure from the Mayor and assorted thugs in suits, not public opinion. Obviously they don't care about that.

Are you suggesting that all the residents, business owners and employees of those businesses near and around the park support this occupation?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    god damn guerilla vandals!!!!!!!!!!

Representative democracy is a joke. Anybody you elect could be a trojan horse or a sleeper agent working against the interests of the electorate. Better vetting will only create more elaborate preparation. Even if we pass a constitutional amendment removing money from politics, there will only be violence. There is only violence. There will only ever be violence.

Reynaldo said:
    Representative democracy is a joke. Anybody you elect could be a trojan horse or a sleeper agent working against the interests of the electorate. Better vetting will only create more elaborate preparation. Even if we pass a constitutional amendment removing money from politics, there will only be violence. There is only violence. There will only ever be violence.

This message has been brought to you by the campaign for the coronation of King Reynaldo.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    FrankieMeltzer said:

I don't buy the sanitation argument here at all, and I think Bloomberg is full of shit.

Sounds like a sanitation problem to me.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Brian said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    TheKindCromang said:

i will give my left nut if even half the people protesting were registered to vote, both of them if even 10% of them actually went out and voted.

I'll take that bet. You heard it here, folks. Brian, the conservative poster that never met a politcal thread he couldn't post in, has made an offer that can't be refused. 10%!!!! 1 out of 10 of, what?, 5,000 max? Say bye bye to your scrotum.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Brian said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    FrankieMeltzer said:
    TheKindCromang said:

I'll take that bet. You heard it here, folks. Brian, the conservative poster that never met a politcal thread he couldn't post in, has made an offer that can't be refused. 10%!!!! 1 out of 10 of, what?, 5,000 max? Say bye bye to your scrotum.
    since you always seem to be on deez nutz, you are free to collect them once you provide proof that these idiots actually do anything beyond whine.

i'm sure it's easy for you to live life putting people in boxes and labeling them so please continue calling me conservative. also, i skip over most political threads, that liberal circle jerk over the republican debates is a great example until i couldn't find a proper place to post that ill picture of cain da god