NHL 2010-2011 THREAD

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I had to leave the room. I thought he might be dead

• A post I made from another board:

So if Chara wasn't a dirty player before is he now? I've always thought he was dirty and now it seems I have a crystal ball.

The circumstances around the hit are damning towards Chara. Not only did he hit him late but he drove his head into the turnbuckle. Certainly he was making a statement. Chara is one of the worst captains in the league and it is not surprising to me his statement as a captain down
    4-0 was personal revenge with 14 seconds left in the period. In my opinion, a captain leads by example. I guess his example is not to respect a vunerable opponent.

Where was this tough guy act when Savard was put down? Maybe Big Z just plays for himself and his shot MPH record. The way he picks his spots to be a tough guy is not to be respected. I guess it is easier to put a guy in stretcher than to let the last 14 seconds of a period play out and go into the locker room and address your team as a vocal leader.

• That hit was entirely unnecessary and brutal. Though I don't believe it meets the prereqs for a suspension, I wouldn't be disappointed if he receives one for a game or two. Just extremely bad timing/luck for Pac, hope he's alright.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    What a fusking disgrace. For real.
    2 games?....anything?
    Colin Campbell, eat a dikk.

I used to feel bad for the Bruins re: Bergeron and Savard, but they can now eat it, too.
    All the trash-talking pre-game, too. Marchand should watch himself.
    I sincerely hope Habs play the Bruins in the playoffs.

One of the most sensible articles:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2011/03/chara_hit_difficult_to_defend.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    A post I made from another board:

So if Chara wasn't a dirty player before is he now? I've always thought he was dirty and now it seems I have a crystal ball.

The circumstances around the hit are damning towards Chara. Not only did he hit him late but he drove his head into the turnbuckle. Certainly he was making a statement. Chara is one of the worst captains in the league and it is not surprising to me his statement as a captain down
    4-0 was personal revenge with 14 seconds left in the period. In my opinion, a captain leads by example. I guess his example is not to respect a vunerable opponent.

Where was this tough guy act when Savard was put down? Maybe Big Z just plays for himself and his shot MPH record. The way he picks his spots to be a tough guy is not to be respected. I guess it is easier to put a guy in stretcher than to let the last 14 seconds of a period play out and go into the locker room and address your team as a vocal leader.

GTFOOHWTBS

did you even watch the game? or just highlights of the hit on the news?

that shit is a straight-up rant. did Chara hurt your feelings or something?

my favorite part is about "running out the period" when Max P was about to get a breakaway and Chara checked him, like they do in that sport ... hockey ... so he wouldn't score. yeah, what the fuck kind of Captain is he, doesn't he know he's supposed to stop playing defense when the team is down 3 goals with 14 seconds left in the 2nd period - that will set up a great locker room speech ... ?!?!

GTFOOHWTBS

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i am biased but not on some chara is a POS thing however the bettman backing of the wrist slapping (if we cna even call it that) is frustrating

as far as hockey....basically max stabbed the puck away because he wants chara to chase the puck and not the player, coming in real fast, still chara wants to take care of him, once he puts his hands on him he could tug at him to slow himm down, pacioretty expects this and opens up his body,
    chara simply guides him into the post with no regards for his health/safety
    yes if its was on the other side of the rink it would be a non-issue
    but chara made a costly mistake and must know it and hopefully regret it

bettman is a napolean complexed cunt who does not want to admit he has lost control of the league and just sweep the problem under the rug while owners declare that This is OUR sport and it can't change philosophy

• SoulOnIce said:
    downtownrobbrown said:
    A post I made from another board:

GTFOOHWTBS

did you even watch the game? or just highlights of the hit on the news?

that shit is a straight-up rant. did Chara hurt your feelings or something?

my favorite part is about "running out the period" when Max P was about to get a breakaway and Chara checked him, like they do in that sport ... hockey ... so he wouldn't score. yeah, what the fuck kind of Captain is he, doesn't he know he's supposed to stop playing defense when the team is down 3 goals with 14 seconds left in the 2nd period - that will set up a great locker room speech ... ?!?!

GTFOOHWTBS

I know enough to know that it wasn't going to be a breakaway because Boston had another D man back.

Then again I'm unbiased and astute.

We are talking about a Captain of a team that blew a 3-0 series lead last year in the playoffs. That is unthinkable and embarassing. I think Chara is overrated as a captain and as a player. When Boston loses in the playoffs again because of their leadership and lack of goal scoring, you won't have to look to far to see Chara's huge contract and lack of leadership.

PS - His "apology" was pretty arrogant. Same with Julien.

PPS - I know what GTFOOHWTBS means I don't speak messageboard.

Where was all this hand-wringing and calls for outside prosecution when Steve Begin broke Mark Savard's back with a dirty crosscheck 3 years ago? Oh, that's right, it was a Canadiens player breaking a Bruins player's back, so it's a different story.

Habs fans have a right to be upset - it sucks when your player gets injured on a brutal hit, legal or not. But you guys acting like this is somehow different or special because it happened to your guy is just the typical self-righteous, egotistical and hypocritical brand of fandom that only Montreal can produce.

As for Chara being a dirty player, the dude holds back on people all the time, and has never been suspended or even had a hearing for any dirty play in 13 seasons in the NHL. So suddenly he's dirty? Give me a break. Do I think he wanted to check Max P really hard? Hell yeah. Max has been antagonizing Chara all season long, and Chara certainly looks to get a shot on him every chance he gets. But I believe Chara when he says he didn't intend to run his head into the turnbuckle, based if nothing else than on his play throughout his career. He's not that kind of player - I think he just wanted to finish a hard check on Max P and unfortunately the result was an ugly injury for Max and another black eye and negative press for the league.

For better or worse, hits in that area of the rink have been going on as long as the game has been here, and the overwhelming majority of these hits aren't even penalties, never mind suspensions. Which of these do you think is the worst, and if you agree with me about which one it is, what uniform is the player running the Calgary player's face into the corner of the glass wearing? DEAL:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    fucking cooke again
    that savard hit was not enough apparently (he got no suspension of anykind)
    so repeat offender clearly throwing an elbow
    what will the league do now

also

SUBBAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    This Cooke character is an animal! Seriously though, the dude was like right in front of the officiating crew behind the glass -- in the view I saw, you could actually see some NHL official throwing up his hands. Like many fellow NHL players, I am going to guess he is not the sharpest spear in the box of broken hockey sticks.

Unfortunately, in a year of thuggery, my Blackhawks only true-blue goon is this guy John Scott; I am unsure if he actually owns a pair of skates or just shuffles around on the ice.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Cookie needs to be kicked outta the league. It's getting silly.

I guess I'm happy with what he got. He's such a dirty SOB but since officially the Savard hit was not even an infraction, I'm impressed they came down as hard as they did on this one. props to Shero for not backing Cooke. I always wonder if someone is going to really hurt Cooke someday, cheap shot artists usually die by the sword they live by.

• Even as a Pen's Fan and a Cooke Fan for that matter you just can't defend what he did. I was a little suprised the suspension went all the way to the first round of the playoffs but I think we can all agree that was the extra FU to Mario.

I'm fine with the suspension as long as all repeat offenders from this point on are treated equally. This is how the NHL always seems to fail.

Unlike most Pens fans, I do not want cooke to be kicked off the team. He is one of the best grinder's in the game and a great penalty killer. Unlike previous incident, he actually seems apologetic about this one. Maybe though it is because it is because he lost $219,000.

• it's now officially the BEST time of the year....PLAYOFFS

we have some big-time first round match-ups, but two that immediately stick out:

BOS v MTL is going to be amazing. original six matchup between two teams/fan-bases that absolutely hate eachother? :beerbang:
    A canadian election debate has officially been postponed because it would have occurred during one of these games. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110410/wl_canada_nm/canada_us_politics_election_5

CHI v VAN should be a great series too. the rivalry continues. as much as VAN seems to have the better team this year, it's the playoffs and literally anything can happen. plus the blackhawks still have the mental edge going into the series, given the outcome of the last two years.

bring on wednesday

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    these are the series i will be monitoring closely obviously
    vancouver needs to get over the hump and just accept they are a beast
    the west is really up for grabs the east will have more predictable results

SOI
    it's on!
    (i have no hard feelings for all the bad blood this year and hope this thread will get you to post at least!)
    cove your boy carey has been putting on clinics recently my friend is also a tender and is in awe!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Getting serious... not happy about facing the bolts in round 1. This is the Caps' year BTW.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'm always in awe of Carey. Have been since he came in the league.
    I was always super confident in his abilities.
    As much as it'll pain SOI, he's the best goalie in the league. (And there is only A BIT of bias in that)
    Timmy Thomas deserves the V??zina this year, but i'd give the Hart to Price.

If MTL wins one in Boston (esp the first), it's on. Habs take it in 7.

I don't think the matchups are predictable in the slightest.
    I will call Buffalo beating Philadelphia right now, though.

I LOVE THIS GAME
    so nervous already

cove said:
    so nervous already

I threw up in my mouth a little.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    after the first goal i was just crossing fingers and counting down the minutes
    I feel bad for all the claude julien talk already...
    the only thing habs and bruins fans share is the ups and downs our respective teams put us through

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    HI EVERYONE!!!!

• Options
    Same old Bruins. I suppose it's too much to expect a team to win when the owner doesn't give a shit either way.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    pcmr said:

the only thing habs and bruins fans share is the ups and downs our respective teams put us through
    except in the 32 previous times we have faced the habs in the playoffs we have won but 8 of those series. you guys have taken 24 and look to be taking 25. also you are the winningest franchise in the sport. we have nothing in common.

o hai guize I committed suicide last night I'll miss you guize kthxbai

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Dangle-fest in Detroit.

What's up foolz?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    My two boys are dominant right now!!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I really hope Bruins stick with Thomas, because Rask can steal games.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    cove...who's your number 2? I know Datsyuk has always been one of your favorites and he walked all over the Coyotes in the last game.

Watching the Chicago start against Vancouver right now. Hate to say it white tea...but the hawks haven't been looking good.

Montreal = team of death. Sorry SoulOnIce... Them with a possible Capitals re-match in the next round would be bonkers.

My #2, the Capitals have managed 2 games but I haven't been impressed. I caught some of the game today but had to go to my men's league game... (Crazy how diffrerent the competition is out here in MI compared to the metro DC area). I'm not sure what it is about them though, but I just think they're shaky. I'm not a big fan of their defence.

What's up with Pittsburgh RAJ? You think Crosby will come back if they're pushed to the brink?

It's a trip being back on the forums...moved back to MI and have taken a break from records for a while...hence not being on the site.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    My #2 is that there best goalie in the league, Carey Price. He is the evolution of goaltending, quite simply. His technique is unreal to watch.

:face_melt: