DON'T STEP ON MY HEELS - 2.0

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Almond said:
    Herm said:
    Was this the thread The September Issue was discussed in? If not, oh well. I finally saw it last night. I enjoyed it but I have to say my favorite interview was with Anna Wintour's daughter basically saying "It's not that serious."

Yes, page 13-14 ish.

I really enjoyed that documentary. I subscribe to Vogue though it is essentially elitist, especially compared to counterparts such as Elle, but it's supposed to be elitist. I enjoy the ads and the spreads and like that even the hair and makeup artists get credited for their work.

The documentary did a great job of capturing the art and attention to detail involved in a single editorial photograph. However, I've never fully accepted Anna's tyranny in the fashion world. She dictates too much and in some cases, throws the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to certain ideas that she's just not digging. She's good at what she does, no doubt, and is the reigning monarch in the fashion world, however, I wonder if we accept her choices with blind faith just because she is Anna Wintour. As for her personality, I feel like Anna is as cold and distant as many of us want to be, but the rest of us feel obligated to smile and act all fake, or should I say "faux" in the spirit of haute couture? I feel fortunate to have watched those interviews with the less esteemed but equally estimable Grace Coddington. Grace is the true artist and genius behind Vogue's spreads and their subsequent influence in the fashion world. She calls herself a dreamer and I have to say, I've always found Vogue editorials to be whimsical and imaginative, which is all Grace. Anna just picks out her favorite photos.

Yes yes yes yes. I'm uninformed when it comes to all this, but based off the doc I have to agree with everything you've said. Though I did feel a little sad for her when she said her brothers and sister were "amused" at what she does. They're out there working these jobs supporting these noble causes and here she is deciding rubber is not texture enough for a shoot.

Has anybody ever had the guts to defy and/or disagree with her while proving her or her taste wrong? I imagine she has unimaginable pull.

And oh, I heart Grace.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I'm sure people have disagreed with Anna, but they probably don't work at American Vogue anymore. She's the boss, but at times it does feel like a one-woman show. There are countless other fashion magazines out there, and although there are non-believers, no one denies the relevance and ubiquitous influence of the Bible.

I think most people are also "amused" by fashion. Until one of my bffs took me into a Louis Vuitton store at which he works and showed me around and told me about the leather and basically gave me a history lesson, I didn't fully understand or appreciate high-end design. He was like a museum guide, and he knew I was nerdy enough to love him for the tour. Also, we had a guest speaker two years in a row (in Spanish 3 and AP Spanish) in high school from FIDM come and talk to us about fashion in the Spanish monarchy, and the role in played, both practical and aesthetic. We got Starbursts for answering her questions right. I got more questions right than everyone else combined.

The Devil Wears Prada (novel and movie) are supposedly based on an assistant's life at a Vogue-like magazine, working for a Wintour-esque editor-in-chief. It's entertaining, especially if you enjoy hearing fashion jargon, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it quality reading or watching material. I'm far from being a expert or even practitioner of fashion (you'd be so, so disappointed in the shoes I wear, Herm), but I am good at admiring from afar, and I take lots of notes (mostly mental) when I look at fashion spreads.

• Options
    Your new balances, your original vans, your toms and even the ones you worn that one time out to farm are all pretty nice, IMO.

Almond said:

The Devil Wears Prada (novel and movie) are supposedly based on an assistant's life at a Vogue-like magazine, working for a Wintour-esque editor-in-chief. It's entertaining, especially if you enjoy hearing fashion jargon, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it quality reading or watching material. I'm far from being a expert or even practitioner of fashion (you'd be so, so disappointed in the shoes I wear, Herm), but I am good at admiring from afar, and I take lots of notes (mostly mental) when I look at fashion spreads.

I doubt that. Whereas I have no problem complimenting a lady - or really, a dude even - on their shoes, I never ridicule or say "Oh my God...those are hideous!" I most likely I just won't notice them!

Was The Devil Wears Prada the one with the Harry Potter reference? If so, I did see that. Or at least the end of it.

It had the HP reference in that Miranda wanted her kids to have the books before they were actually released by the publisher. And then Anne Hathaway's character met that sleezy blonde dude who hooked her up and the kids got their books and Miranda, who had set her up for failure, was impressed.

Almond said:
    It had the HP reference in that Miranda wanted her kids to have the books before they were actually released by the publisher. And then Anne Hathaway's character met that sleezy blonde dude who hooked her up and the kids got their books and Miranda, who had set her up for failure, was impressed.

Yep! That was it!

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Herm how many pairs of shoes do you own ?

Haven't counted in a bit, but I'd say about 150 including dress shoes. That's after I donated about 30-40 pair.

• Options
    But, even if you had only one pair would you consider yourself good?

The reason I ask is because of TV and the Internet nowadays, I feel like sometimes ppl see what is on there and think that that is what they should have to be "with it."

Some parents, even, may think that if they don't get this for their child, or get that for their child, that they are not being "good" parents. They may even go in to debt doing so.

I am reminded of the The Band lyric, "don't know what I got but it seems like a lot, I don't need no more."

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Herm said:
    Haven't counted in a bit, but I'd say about 150 including dress shoes. That's after I donated about 30-40 pair.
    that's what I thought after skimming through this thread
    respect. it seems like you have at least some taste

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Herm said:
    Anna Wintour's daughter basically saying "It's not that serious."

That's the attitude I try to take to it. If you take the fun out of it, then I really have to question why you're even into fashion in the first place. Fashion is pretty much Dungeons & Dragons at this point, anyway, so there's really no need to be self-serious about it.

soulone said:

The reason I ask is because of TV and the Internet nowadays, I feel like sometimes ppl see what is on there and think that that is what they should have to be "with it."

I am reminded of the The Band lyric, "don't know what I got but it seems like a lot, I don't need no more."

Couldn't all of this be said about records (or anything else people collect)?

• Options
    dwyhajlo said:
    Herm said:
    Anna Wintour's daughter basically saying "It's not that serious."

That's the attitude I try to take to it. If you take the fun out of it, then I really have to question why you're even into fashion in the first place. Fashion is pretty much Dungeons & Dragons at this point, anyway, so there's really no need to be self-serious about it.

soulone said:

Couldn't all of this be said about records (or anything else people collect)?

Yes, records and books are no exception.

• Options
    Well, books and records could be an exception. Why?

Because, I am under the impression that, they don't burn up cash like TV's and computers do, they don't wear out as quickly as shoes or socks, the practical ones don't go out of style like a highly volatile trend.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    just saw this on twitter

News is that Dior frontman John Galliano just got sacked for making anti-semitic remarks in what appeared to be a drunken episode which was caught on tape. Although I do not condone racism, I feel like removal from his position as one of the head designers was harsh and unwarranted, unless this incident was the last straw in terms of "bad behavior" (as opposed an isolated incident). Regular protocol would be a public apology, symbolic stint in rehab and a generous donation to charity, and the public would have soon forgotten. We give Charlie Sheen front-page coverage and he shoots to 1 mil Twitter followers in days, but Dior fires the man who re-vamped the brand name. I know luxury labels have to protect their image, but Dior basically just gave away its creative juice. I don't know if the Dior label will suffer in the long run, but I wouldn't be surprised if Galliano has a successful solo career like fashion rockstars Tom Ford and Jacobs. Pretty soon we'll all be dabbing on his new fragrance, smelling like racists.

Does siding with JG mean I'm tolerant to racism, or is this zero-tolerance policy exactly what the world needs to see?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    This thraed needs more pics.

I want these. Fresh and clean.

And I am feeling these booties.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    damms said:
    just saw this on twitter
    I meant

Almond said:

Does siding with JG mean I'm tolerant to racism, or is this zero-tolerance policy exactly what the world needs to see?
    don't take sides
    play it like

• Options
    Almond said:

don't take sides
    play it like

Hmm, good question. I'm not sure who the people are or what they were saying. But, if I had to side, I rather be tolerant.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i just bought this from an etsy store on impulse. if my waist isn't small enough to fit it i am going to cry. if it does fit, i plan on hacking off 4-6 inches from the skirt to make it short

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    edith head said:
    i just bought this from an etsy store on impulse. if my waist isn't small enough to fit it i am going to cry. if it does fit, i plan on hacking off 4-6 inches from the skirt to make it short

LOVE it. So brave to buy from Etsy.

Nice buy, Edith!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    thanks! i usually buy things even if they are large because i live around the corner from a place that does really good, cheap alterations but this i'm uneasy about cause it does seem small. waist looks high on the mannequin and if the waistline really is going to sit there, i'm in the clear, but who knows after i have a couple of beers.

Ordered these last Friday, they showed up today:

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Per herm's request I am posting some gentlemanly footwear options I find appealing.

Prada:

Tims:

And for forestry work, husqvarnas:

That's what I'm tawmbout.

There's a lot going on the soles of those Pradas.

Whoa.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Herm said:
    That's what I'm tawmbout.

There's a lot going on the soles of those Pradas.

That's part of what i enjoy about the Pradas, straddling the line of good taste.
    Only in the brown or the two tone though.

And the original runway version with the triple stack heels, not for me.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

Possum Tom said:

That's some straight up Palm Springs goodness there.

• Possum Tom, killin it. Contrast sole on the bottom chukkas is sick.

Picked these up at Nordstrom's Last Chance outlet a couple days ago:

Florsheim x Duckie Brown $30

Cole Haan 'Caldwell' Oxford $40