DON'T STEP ON MY HEELS - 2.0

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Didn't he (The Sartorialist) post it under the heading "strands?" I took that as meaning that's what stood out to him the most. Th purse, I mean.

The stocking/heel combo is what caught my eye. Those are navy, right?

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Am I the only one who notices hair and makeup? The burgundy matte lipcolor is def in this season (I blame pop culture vampires) but coupled with the ruddy eyeshadow, it creates too gaunt of a look for daytime, IMO. Unless she's trying to look like a sleep-deprived domestic abuse victim, the eyes are just wrong. Or maybe she just has really dark circles in which case undereye concealer might help. The hair pulled back is nothing noteworthy but with the vampire lips it seems rather severe, like the evil queen from Snow White.

That seashell decoration above reminds me of something my aunt used to have. I used to think it was really awesome.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    tights look charcoal gray to me

• Almond said:

"Sensible heels." I like the button detail.

pumps like this are the sort that haunt my shoe nightmares

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Herm said:
    Didn't he (The Sartorialist) post it under the heading "strands?" I took that as meaning that's what stood out to him the most. Th purse, I mean.

The stocking/heel combo is what caught my eye. Those are navy, right?

He has good taste, I see really wonderful and unique outfits on his site, but that purse is a macrame mess and should be nowhere near her.

The tights look gray to me as well.

The make-up is tasteful imo. I am not a fan of make-up as a rule, but I like her light touch and think it goes nicely with her 1920s/1970s life-worn look. One extra stroke or one shade this way or that, it would have been gaudy and/or goth.

You're right, it's grey. Thumbnails are more like pinky nails on iPhones.

Herm said:
    You're right, it's grey. Thumbnails are more like pinky nails on iPhones.

It's a cool grey, possibly mixed with 6% blue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    You dudes are probably already familiar with the wonderful magazine Fantastic Man (latest issue is amazing btw). I really like the amount of detail they put into each issue.

Don't know if the female counterpart of the magazine, The Gentlewoman, is as good, but I thought I'd mention it here in case you weren't familiar.

http://www.thegentlewoman.com/

• bassie said:
    I love the left outfit, love it. The colours, the shape, her hair.
    But AHG! the purse is all wrong, all wrong. She and her friend need to swap.

Coincidentally, I was just at my Mom's the other day, going thru old pictures, and I scanned this pic of my Ma from 73. So, when I saw the above pic of the lady on the left, it totally reminded me of just how my Mom used to look (sans makeup, of course....it was the early 70's) Love that hair (and did NOT inherit it - boo hoo)

Anyway, to the fashion picture - I totally love the goth-y, makeup. The stringy purse? Not so much...BUT, I can say, that pairing an unexpected garment, or accessory can totally make a look. And bring it to a whole new level. But I don't think it worked in this case.

Almond said:
    Am I the only one who notices hair and makeup?

No.

The burgundy matte lipcolor is def in this season (I blame pop culture vampires) but coupled with the ruddy eyeshadow, it creates too gaunt of a look for daytime, IMO.

I think it's completely appropriate for autumn.

OK - there is a lot going here. But I want to start with the bracelet...which is PHENOMENAL. I will give half of the credit to the arm it's on.

bassie said:
    OK - there is a lot going here. But I want to start with the bracelet...which is PHENOMENAL. I will give half of the credit to the arm it's on.

really? it reminds me of something they'd have under the glass at hot topic, except living.

edith head said:

really? it reminds me of something they'd have under the glass at hot topic, except living.

Funny - the designer makes something almost exactly like that. (no Hot Topics in Canada)
    Looking at her website, it is borderline to overline tacky gothy stuff, but the hand is a little bit different....still creepy though, looks like a disembodied hand grabbing an arm.
    Check out the last necklace under the Collections tab - I like that too. Actually, off the site, (some of) the necklaces are the only things I like.
    Yea, I really like that hand.
    I am not a big fan of skeleton aesthetics....maybe just D??a de los Muertos stuff.

• bassie said:
    I am not a big fan of skeleton aesthetics....maybe just D??a de los Muertos stuff.

I agree, personally, the skeleton/skull thing was off-putting for me with Alexander McQueen's stuff. It just seems kind of...juvenile (maybe?), like it belonged more at a punk or metal show than on a $1000+ piece of jewelry. If I'm gonna go "gothy" then I'll just go with Julius or Ann Demeeulemeester or something.

Margiela probably makes some of my favorite accessories and jewelry.

Disney x Tron

dwyhajlo said:
    bassie said:

I agree, personally, the skeleton/skull thing was off-putting for me with Alexander McQueen's stuff. It just seems kind of...juvenile (maybe?), like it belonged more at a punk or metal show than on a $1000+ piece of jewelry. If I'm gonna go "gothy" then I'll just go with Julius or Ann Demeeulemeester or something.

Margiela probably makes some of my favorite accessories and jewelry.

I feel that without the skull motif, it wouldn't have been McQueen. True, he could have used another symbol, but beauty marred by irony was integral to his design aesthetic.

brokenrecord said:

Coincidentally, I was just at my Mom's the other day, going thru old pictures, and I scanned this pic of my Ma from 73. So, when I saw the above pic of the lady on the left, it totally reminded me of just how my Mom used to look (sans makeup, of course....it was the early 70's) Love that hair (and did NOT inherit it - boo hoo)

Charming photo. Thanks for posting.

These showed up today. Florsheim x Duckie Brown navy plain toe oxfords. $142 brand new on eBay. I tried to take my own picture but the lighting in my house isn't bright enough to capture the deepness of the navy.

I'm taking a break from buying dress shoes for a long while, unless I come up on an incredible thrift store find. I own 19 pairs of dress shoes & boots which is pretty damn unnecessary. I mean, navy? Really?? All anybody ever needs is a black, a brown and a wine/burgundy/oxblood.

*Edit: I have been wanting some red suede desert boots for a while. Ugh. I don't need 'em. Willpower.

The fact that you have as many dress shoes as I have shoes altogether is an excuse for me to go shopping.

Scratch that, 21 pairs. Forgot about a couple that are still boxed up.

i want it now

• Herm said:
    These showed up today. Florsheim x Duckie Brown navy plain toe oxfords. $142 brand new on eBay. I tried to take my own picture but the lighting in my house isn't bright enough to capture the deepness of the navy.

I'm taking a break from buying dress shoes for a long while, unless I come up on an incredible thrift store find. I own 19 pairs of dress shoes & boots which is pretty damn unnecessary. I mean, navy? Really?? All anybody ever needs is a black, a brown and a wine/burgundy/oxblood.

*Edit: I have been wanting some red suede desert boots for a while. Ugh. I don't need 'em. Willpower.

Wow Herm. Those are nice! I have a thing for blue shoes. I would like to own and wear these Florsheims. They just look so cool. But not sure how to wear the boot style as womens wear?

I'm on a clothes fast. I don't NEED a damn thing more. Ever. So I just dream.

• Herm, those are nice. Have you seen those blue suede Aldens? They're awesome.
    I hope you're not one of those guys who owns multiple pairs of shoes in "whiskey" and "cigar" brown.

edith, who makes that bag?

• snosno 332 Posts

The navy suede bluchers by Alden are just gorgeous.

Save for the tights and beret, show me everything this woman is wearing on its own and I would not like it, but all together - I am a fan. The yellow bag might be her one trip-up; that yellow and the khaki gray of the boots just do not work well together...but as far as the picture goes, it's not too bad.

dwyhajlo said:
    Herm, those are nice. Have you seen those blue suede Aldens? They're awesome.
    I hope you're not one of those guys who owns multiple pairs of shoes in "whiskey" and "cigar" brown.

edith, who makes that bag?

Luella Bartley.

brokenrecord said:

Wow Herm. Those are nice! I have a thing for blue shoes.

I kinda wish they didn't have a black sole. Too cop-ish.

• snosno 332 Posts
    The moment I heard the distributor of Alden in Hong Kong teaching their customer how to achieve the perfect crease on the shoe's upper using pencil, I was like, " it's just a pair of shoes for crissake."

That said, Indy boots and bluchers in barrie last are just astonsihing.

I like these but that Asian dude The Sartorialist snapped pretty much deaded these for everybody else.

(I mean that in a good way. In my opinion he made these shoes look great!)

*Edit