The Return of Odd Future

Comments

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    rape_donkeys said:
    "fuck all you old motherfuckers in the back. you old motherfuckers. fuck your fucking job."

This is GREAT....especially if those old dudes in the back of the room we're thinking "Yeah, fuck me, I am fucking lame".

YES!!! i say that about myself ALL the time.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    whats up with the overanalyzing their future prospects and their current place in society? can we wait a minute?

i like the enthusiasm. its fun. who cares if they are or arent the next version of something from the past.

• edulus said:
    whats up with the overanalyzing their future prospects and their current place in society? can we wait a minute?

No. We are the illuminati. We and only we decide if they succeed beyond the Fallon appearance (Falloff on Fallon?). As you can see, there is always thunder amongst our rank, but soon we will all come to an agreement and decide their fate.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    At least Odd Future is better than Lil B.

• DocMcCoy said:
    empanadamn said:
    i don't quiet understand how some of you guys are comparing their appearance on jimmy fallon to people being introduced to jimi hendrix, misfits, sex pistols, etc. on national tv DECADES ago. they didn't have the internet & youtube back them; totally different times and context of music. no one would flinch if they saw someone fucking an amp with a guitar, performed with face paint, flipped the bird in current times.

i'd say more fans were already planning to watch (and found out strictly via the internet) than then number of new fans gained instantly from tuning in or being in the studio audience that night. on top of that, i doubt folks who consider themselves music heads specifically check out jimmy fallon to get up on some new music. internet > tv.

Well, my point, for all it's worth, was that by the time non-mainstream performers have made it to the mainstream nowadays, they've usually been "over" for years in the eyes of early adopters, whereas OFWGKTA have already made it that far without any kind of major label support and while they're still a relatively hot topic in so-called tastemaker circles. It didn't take them two albums and a couple of big movie syncs like it did with MIA. They're not an easily digestible hipster-friendly act with broad appeal like Vampire Weekend. Let's not forget there are still a lot of people out there who get their pop culture fix through the more conventional channels.

Also, can anyone tell me the last time an act without any kind of major-label deal (XL is an indie, before anyone mentions Tyler's deal with them) landed a spot on a network TV show in the US? My guess is somewhere between "a fucking long time ago" and "never". Either way, I doubt it happens often enough for it to be unworthy of comment.

1st thing that comes to mind is SJ&TDK;, who seem to be on Fallon/Conan/whatever every few months. i'm sure there are others as well, fallon especially seems to get more "indie" artists.

b/w

at 25, i must be like the youngest person on SS...

• HarveyCanal said:
    At least Odd Future is better than Lil B.

haha! Fusk the Pack!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I still haven't listened to any of this. Top 3 tracks to determine whether I'm olde or not plz.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    james said:
    Martin said:
    james said:
    Rockadelic said:
    They sold out a NYC show in 10 minutes....and if that show is packed with an under 18 crowd I'd say these guys have hit the target .....if that show is filled with 32 year old dudes I'd say it was lame on every level possible.

I think this is a very pertinent point.

I like Odd Future a fair amount, but one, I'm old as fuck, and two, I'm crusty enough that the phenomenon of realizing that I like something even a little is itself enough to make me like it a little bit more, just on the strength (I'm in love with love, you know?). I'd be curious to know whether they have any real traction among folks their own age.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm also old enough and aristocratic enough that the answer ot that question won't change my mind about anything, but still, it'd be interesting to know.

i heard their dc show on the 15th was at least half kids under 21. they are definitely hitting in their own age group more than any other best as i can tell.

That's good to hear, for real.

even over here, kids in Austria and Germany have been shouting "Wolf Gang" last weekend. Some are around 20, but got the word on OF from me, a 33 year old. Don't know if that is still cool then. But at least they are interested and I guess live shows over here would work. As one of the 20 year olds (who is heavily into electro and dubstep) recently said: "The time is right for good rap music again". Don't know if that is still cool then part 2.

• willie_fugal said:
    at 25, i must be like the youngest person on SS...

Nope.

FWIW, a guy I know from NYC went to their show on the 15th, and he sounded like he enjoyed it. The yoots, dey like it!

sticky_dojah said:
    even over here, kids in Austria and Germany have been shouting "Wolf Gang" last weekend.

A novice mistake, but this has been a thing in the Austrian punk scene for a while:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:

A novice mistake, but this has been a thing in the Austrian punk scene for a while:

zing Apparently, rumours say that Mozart wrote a canon called "Leck mir den Arsch fein recht sch??n sauber" (English: Lick my ass right well and clean)...talmbout punk....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    LOL at the top two threads being The Big Chill poll and OFWGKTA love/hate/can the kids just live?-fest

Why is the Strut so age-obsessed?
    The age span here is not as revealing as the crust-factor/inability to deal with what's new and not about them.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    obv the punk rock ski masks n skateboard aesthetic is nothing new, but it is fucking cool to see that shit on a late night TV music performance, which are usually boring as shit...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    bassie said:
    Why is the Strut so age-obsessed?
    The age span here is not as revealing as the crust-factor/inability to deal with what's new and not about them.

There are only 3 kinds of people.....

Old motherfuckers

People who are going to be old motherfuckers

And dead motherfuckers

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Not comparing it to Hendrix or anyone in a way musically or life changing. Just saying it is opening a door to this style of music...

they are speaking for their age group. Tyler is 19. The rest are like 15-18. kids can relate to them. not in the realm of rape and drugs. but in a voice for them.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I don't really expect Odd Future to resonate anywhere beyond the same hipster circles whose aesthetic they are merely assuming.

You're showing yourself to be a bit disconnected here, on a couple of levels - one, they've already resonated, which is why they're on Fallon, and two, the people they've resonated with are largely kids from their own age group.

As I said on twitter this morning, there are going to be a lot of folks blindsided by this movement and they will try to cover their exposed posteriors with cynical, uninformed critique. Don't be that guy!

I'm not even slightly blindsided by this. There have already been plenty of black, early-20-something hipsters floating around for at least a few years. Taking drugs, skateboarding, and rapping is far from a groundbreaking combination. Plus, who is actually watching Fallon? I actually have lil homies who are all over this "movement"...but they are fringe at best and not about to overtake the norm beyond a few isolated whoa moments.

And to counter your volley, there are going to be a bunch of knee-jerkers who wouldn't give Aesop Rock the time of day who are going to act like Odd Future is reinventing the wheel with this ish.

a faaaat ass word.. seems like everybody is automated to jump in the hype like its natural.. scrap the evrybody.. some..I still think some people genuinely like it..

And the dude saying mos def should go to a old folk home..whats up with this shit..everywhere I go I hear dudes dissin the real mc's just cause they're not 18 anymore..shiit I rather listen to a 30 year old with some real shit, then a teenager, rapping about his teenage problems..fuck outta here..

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ^^^^

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    When I checked these dudes out last year they reminded me of making music bitd and not giving a fuck. It's good to see them getting love. There's also a strong chance they'll get overexposed, chewed up and spit out at the rate things (read "cool" shit) moves these days. Let em live.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    jaymack said:
    for grown ass adults

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    not impressed
    I'm really not feeling this be hype or nothing era
    I guess I'm just getting old

• i had to look up what OFWGKTA meant. a wiki entry popped up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OFWGKTA

looks like they're trying to make them a weird, west coast wu-tang.

• their website looks like hipster:

http://oddfuture.tumblr.com

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Rap Threads On Soulstrut!

I don't know, I listened to Earl, Bastard and the Mike G album Ali more than any other music released last year. Not because I wanted to be down with the kids as that comes naturally to a hip guy like myself but because I thought it was well written, brilliantly delivered rap over production that had obvious influences but was doing it's own thing. People moaning about the beats are sort of missing the point, go listen to the OFWGKTA mixtape from last year and the instrumentals they chose for it give a good idea where they're aiming (hint, no premo beats on there).

Bunch of kids making music, releasing albums for free, having fun, also happen to be genuinely talented. Will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

• Junior said:

I don't know, I listened to Earl, Bastard and the Mike G album Ali more than any other music released last year. Not because I wanted to be down with the kids as that comes naturally to a hip guy like myself but because I thought it was well written, brilliantly delivered rap over production that had obvious influences but was doing it's own thing. People moaning about the beats are sort of missing the point, go listen to the OFWGKTA mixtape from last year and the instrumentals they chose for it give a good idea where they're aiming (hint, no premo beats on there).

Bunch of kids making music, releasing albums for free, having fun, also happen to be genuinely talented. Will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

^^ entirely too reasonable for this website

• I agree w junior that Earl was probably the most interesting rap album i heard all last year. I'm also thinking we took this down the wrong route with the age thing - as one critic pointed out over here these guys actually have cross generational appeal. most of you lot are the first generation to actually be raised on weird rap stuff, ergo you are predisposed to actually have some ear for this shit, unlike how the Elvis generation felt about the punk generation.

I agree that it isn't punk - and i think that might be the clever part. The Sex Pistols said rude words on television and actually raised a finger to the decorum of the time, which Odd Future are not doing. Yes Tyler goes a bit nuts in that clip but it all seems above board and orchestrated. There is nothing really offensive about anything in the way they were presented there. I am intrigued by "witch house" girl who floats about in the background tho!

Whether it has cross-generational appeal or not, i think to have things of this nature in the mainstream we could probably all agree is a very positive thing at the moment.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    I agree that it isn't punk - and i think that might be the clever part. The Sex Pistols said rude words on television and actually raised a finger to the decorum of the time, which Odd Future are not doing. Yes Tyler goes a bit nuts in that clip but it all seems above board and orchestrated. There is nothing really offensive about anything in the way they were presented there.

in 2011, i'm not really sure there's anything a performer can do (semi-legally) that would be all that offensive or "rude". we're all pretty fuckin jaded at this point.

I am intrigued by "witch house" girl who floats about in the background tho!

looks like the witch lady in the cave in Ong Bak 2

• They all straight in my book. Mos Def , too.

• i just got back from their philly show and the show was kinda awesome. please note i stood on a bench all the way in the back to avoid the mosh pit, as i am officially too old for that.

the sound system was fucked up (mics cutting out etc) made me wonder if this was the reason they chose to drop actual tracks instead of instrumentals

end of the day? its the last time anyone will see them performing a show like this in a space as small as the barbary and it was a fun show. they're young, they're hype, they're doing something me as a 16-19 yr old would be going ape shit to be doing at as well.

i recommend it if they come thru your town.

• HarveyCanal said:

My point is that their music isn't good to begin with. Y'all are just caught up in the visual weirdness and how they are going to make you feel less old than say your usual run-of-the-mill hot rap club track of today does.

I'll say that they've got rhymes and punchlines. But the main gripe for me is where is the production value? I guess it is kinda punkish in that it's so stripped down(the beats I mean), but the beats aren't hot. It seems like they just downloaded a cracked version of reason and went to town, posted vids on youtube, ah fuck whatever works right? The days of having to learn your craft, show it to your friends and get approval, then go out and try to rock at some spots for a rep,and THEN try to put some music out is done. You can just post your music or whatever on the net to get a rep. Why do shows when you can wait til you blow up on the net? Did these kids even rock spots? Well I guess they're too young to... eh.

• Kids do Soljah Boy=UMADDOGGIE
    Kids do underground=UMADDOGGIE
    Kids do raps=UMADDOGGIE