The Return of Odd Future

12345679»

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i have also noticed in the last week or so alot of kids in my area wearing tennis caps, shorts and socks pulled up like that of tyler, whereas the last time anyone pulled their socks up would have been greenday fans in 1993...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Had Goblin on repeat rotation the last few days so feel like I now know it pretty well. Can't help but agree that as a whole I don't think it's as great as Bastard.

That's not to say that it isn't very good and there are a lot of great tracks on there. As far as the writing side of things go Tyler seems to have moved up a fair notch, not especially keen on the moaning about the curse of fame this early in his career (surely that's something you do a little further in?) but as his main subject matter is himself I can't really fault him for focusing on what's going on.
    I do think it could have done with a bit more merciless cropping as it feels like it drags a little which is not something that could be said for the earlier Odd Future releases. Don't think it helps that Radical which IMO is the worst track on there (would be far better as a 1-2 minute track) comes in so early after the combined greatness of Goblin and Yonkers. Thankfully it's followed by She which is just brilliant.

Overall then I'm still pleased as I really wasn't sure what would happen with this album and the fact that there doesn't seem to be any concessions made regarding style is a definite plus. I feared that it would fail miserably against Bastard which was always going to be hard to top but instead it's a very good second album with some great lyrics and some beautiful production,. I've had it on rotation the last few days and expect to keep on re-listening for a fair while yet (admittedly with some skipping) so still intrigued by what he does next, especially if he's guided the right way.

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    jammy said:
    i have also noticed in the last week or so alot of kids in my area wearing tennis caps, shorts and socks pulled up like that of tyler, whereas the last time anyone pulled their socks up would have been greenday fans in 1993...

It's kind of a staple in LA. Like vans, chucks, flipped up snapbacks, etc. Never goes out of style, just in and out of rotation.

I haven't listened to this record yet. I can't justify the expense. It will be around. I'll check it eventually.