The Return of Odd Future

Comments

• matamatic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

My point is that their music isn't good to begin with. Y'all are just caught up in the visual weirdness and how they are going to make you feel less old than say your usual run-of-the-mill hot rap club track of today does.

I'll say that they've got rhymes and punchlines. But the main gripe for me is where is the production value? I guess it is kinda punkish in that it's so stripped down(the beats I mean), but the beats aren't hot. It seems like they just downloaded a cracked version of reason and went to town, posted vids on youtube, ah fuck whatever works right? The days of having to learn your craft, show it to your friends and get approval, then go out and try to rock at some spots for a rep,and THEN try to put some music out is done. You can just post your music or whatever on the net to get a rep. Why do shows when you can wait til you blow up on the net? Did these kids even rock spots? Well I guess they're too young to... eh.

Soul Strut Comedy Gold.

• these kids, especially Tyler, are only getting better. i for one welcome a future of oddness.

b/w

free Earl.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    As a member of the crusty old dude contingent, I dig it. Kids acting weird and making noise that older people don't get is always a good thing. They look like they're having a blast, more power to 'em. I hope they make some money.

Older heads need to stop comparing everything to the past, you sound like... just so old.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Free Earl.....................from his mother.

C'mon now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    asstro said:
    As a member of the crusty old dude contingent, I dig it. Kids acting weird and making noise that older people don't get is always a good thing. They look like they're having a blast, more power to 'em. I hope they make some money.

Older heads need to stop comparing everything to the past, you sound like... just so old.

BING BANG BONG.

• So Earl's grounded? Boarding school? What's the real story?

• HarveyCanal said:

C'mon now.

not gangster enough?

• But in all seriousness, I think it's just that his mother found out what he was doing and sent him off to boarding school so he'd be far away from the baddies.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HarveyCanal said:

C'mon now.

not gangster enough?

Not until they start calling it a "movement".

But yeah, I hate dudes acting like the "same old shit" ain't tried and true. These dudes are going to be putting random shit in a blender and puking for about 2 more weeks and then they're going to fall back to just smoking weed and calling women bitches just like the rest of it.

Rebel against g-shit all you want. It ain't going nowhere.

• I predict -

Odd Future Wolf Gang Crew are going to team up with Flying Lotus, ingest truckloads of DMT and MDMA cocktails, study Alistair Crowley, practice the Dark Arts, and make some of the most mind-melting, skin crawling, astral traveling, psychedelic electro noise hop ever known to mankind!

:face_melt:

:vampire:

• I've never heard these guys but lol at hating on gangster rapp.

• empanadamn said:
    yeah, echoing what other's have said, seems like nothing new, really, but a breath of fresh air for what's been in rotation and rather stagnant for most rap music. perhaps the era of rap that we're upon will be based on being straight up WEIRD. from the nicki minaj, kanye, pharrell types to gucci, lil' wayne sorts to odd future, lil' b, das racist up & coming, internet hype of the moment, it all seems to be about projecting a larger than life persona than about producing a solid music product, i guess.

what?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Just wanted to post this recent publicity photo for Beans, of Antipop Consortium fame (is "fame" the wrong word here?), who is promoting his latest album and also performing tonight in Chicago.

Was he one of the "old motherfuckers" at the back of the concert in Phili?

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I've never heard these guys but lol at hating on gangster rapp.

You mean grandpas rapp.

Plaese to make that Beans photo stop.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    As probably the only person in this thread who can recite both an Aesop Rock album and a Tyler, The Creator album by heart I feel fully qualified to say that they aren't even remotely close to being the same things.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rebel against g-shit all you want...

I just HAD to put this one out there.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Also can assure you guys that no teenage girl has ever proudly uttered the phrase "I have Aesop Rock's sweat all over my face," though I heard one say the same about Tyler last night.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    noz said:
    Also can assure you guys that no teenage girl has ever proudly uttered the phrase "I have Aesop Rock's sweat all over my face," though I heard one say the same about Tyler last night.

Once he loses his virginity he'll sound a lot more like Thief In Da Nite

• JamalJamal 410 Posts

last one was a bonus..flip it on em.

• noz said:

Maybe not teenage, but I'm willing to bet many 24-30 year old women have.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Herm said:
    Maybe not teenage, but I'm willing to bet many 24-30 year old women have.

• Mjukis said:
    Somewhere between Cool Kids and Necro

no need to involve keith in this

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I can understand why his release got a lot less coverage than Tyler and Earl's but I personally love Mike G's album, hoping he's going to be next up with some new material.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Rap music is serious bizness. At least on the strut anyways.

Tho, I'm at a little loss of what the debate is really over... Seems like people are more stressed over their opinions and debating that, than the music itself.

In any case. Good to see/hear some not giving a fuck and just being creative in their own way. More power to them.

And the girl in the back was a play on the Ring I'm guessing.

• "They might blow up, but they won't go Pop"

• The remind me of that indie group from Palo Alto - Sacred Hoop

• Spacecho said:
    The remind me of that indie group from Palo Alto - Sacred Hoop

I only have 1 Sacred Hoop record but i would never had made that comparison.

More like late nineties Divine Styler lol

• AndreBreton said:
    Spacecho said:
    The remind me of that indie group from Palo Alto - Sacred Hoop

I only have 1 Sacred Hoop record but i would never had made that comparison.

More like late nineties Divine Styler lol

Their whole nihilistic attitude, Earl in particular, reminds me of Da Hoop!