The Return of Odd Future

40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think this is partially the source of the Noz/Nahright beef. Not sure how. But Tyler rolls with Sir Nozington while, apparently, Das Racist is in the pocket of Nahreezy. Weird shit all around.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That shit is pretty dope. I'm performing with these dudes in PDX in a couple weeks.

• I like it. Reminds me of Aesop Rock.

• I think what I like most about these dudes is that they seem to genuinely love words and making them rhyme.

Jesus that sounds stupid but I can't think of a better way to say what I mean right now.

• :latte:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/63668/P380/

Odd Future will be on Fallon on the 16th if you're interested.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Everything about this is fucking great - beats, rhymes, visuals, the lot. When I first saw it yesterday morning, it was still on 292 views - now it's on almost 200k.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens after they appear on Jimmy Fallon. Difficult as it is to picture them not blowing up, it's equally difficult to picture that happening without them first having to filter some of the more extreme aspects of their style, or at least being urged to filter it. All the same, it's clear from the video that Tyler hasn't lost any of his appetite for button-pushing and oh-no-he-didn't outrageousness.

• Options
    The line about punching Bruno Mars in the esophagus cracked me up.

b/w

Faking the bug swallow makes me question his commitment.

• Herm said:
    I like it. Reminds me of Aesop Rock.
    Reminds me of this gem from Tyler's Twitter:

"Who The Fuck Is Antipop Consortium? Can People Compare Us To Cool Musicians? Fuck."

• it'll be crazy to see these guys on Fallon. although i hope they've been working on their live show. when i saw them a few months ago it was maybe just a little bit better than a high school talent show.

• Mongo_Slade said:
    Herm said:

"Who The Fuck Is Antipop Consortium? Can People Compare Us To Cool Musicians? Fuck."

LOL

• Mongo_Slade said:

hahahaha

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Herm said:

In a few years, it'll be some other, new rapper, saying the same shit about Odd Future. The cycle continues.

• If only I had youtube and free software when I was their age.

• I'm visually amazed. And amused. Shoutouts to Reptar.

• incompletejigsaw said:
    I'm visually amazed. And amused. Shoutouts to Reptar.

word. cool visuals, super tough lyrics and

means repeated viewings.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    street_muzik said:
    If only I had youtube and free software when I was their age.

HAH!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So happy to see new stuff from Tyler without any drop in quality. On a slight side note, I see that Tyler has signed for XL records (think it's a one album deal). From watching this label grow over the years it looks to me on paper at least like the perfect match for him. Article about XL with a brief mention about Tyler here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/16/richard-russell-xl-recordings-dizzee-rascal-prodigy

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Somewhere between Cool Kids and Kool Keith - good stuff!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• that frozen visual of Tyler on Fallon's shoulders is great.

Changing of the guard

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    Odd Future on TV was amazing to see. not so much the music in this particular case, but what it represents.

this will change some kids life like seeing Hendrix light his guitar on fire or hearing the Misfits for the first time.

shit, if MTV still played videos I could see this being the 2011 version of when Nirvanas "Teen Spirit" debuted. Kurt Loders uptight ass interviewing them.

that being said Mos Def is a douche. back to the old folks home man....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So as I'm gathering, people are thinking that this signals the acceptance of black dudes being punk rock weird via rap music? Hmm, Lil Wayne and Baby kissing each other on the mouth wasn't weird enough already?

I don't know how one doesn't compare Odd Future to Antipop Consortium...does that mean they too were genius yet the peanut gallery wasn't ready for that sort of thing 10 years ago? Can they now break out their old songs and do them on Fallon as well?

Musically, I'm not really hearing anything new from Odd Future. And visually, they look like the past 2 or 3 SXSW Music Conferences...i.e. a dime a dozen.

I don't really expect Odd Future to resonate anywhere beyond the same hipster circles whose aesthetic they are merely assuming.

But hey, at least they are having fun.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Earl Sweatshirt is where it's really at.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Somewhere in the afterlife Lester Bangs and Bowser from Sha Na Na are drinking beer and laughing.

(Yeah Yeah....I know Bowser's not dead....but his career certainly is)

• HarveyCanal said:

I don't really expect Odd Future to resonate anywhere beyond the same hipster circles whose aesthetic they are merely assuming.

You're showing yourself to be a bit disconnected here, on a couple of levels - one, they've already resonated, which is why they're on Fallon, and two, the people they've resonated with are largely kids from their own age group.

As I said on twitter this morning, there are going to be a lot of folks blindsided by this movement and they will try to cover their exposed posteriors with cynical, uninformed critique. Don't be that guy!

• mannybolone said:
    I think this is partially the source of the Noz/Nahright beef. Not sure how. But Tyler rolls with Sir Nozington while, apparently, Das Racist is in the pocket of Nahreezy. Weird shit all around.

haha! on one of their LPs they shout out "FUCK NAHRIGHT FUCK 2DOPEBOYZ" in the intro. this is because the blogosphere didn't exactly embrace their antics, apart from Noz who rode.

Great vid, great fallon performance, yes mos def looked silly going SWAG SWAG SWAG. If i'm honest, Earl is 10 times more talented than the rest but you know, until he gets out of boarding school / boot camp / wherever he was sent we're unlikely to see him acheive his potential.

Until then, great that 16 year olds kids can watch jackass, make albums joking about rape, unicorns and defecation and have global success out of it. What a wonderful world. It's all a bit hard to listen to at times and the beats are often insanely piss-poor, but this is all part of their zeitgeist-y appeal. It feels so refreshing compared to the backdrop of overly boring hip hop dripping from the blogs mentioned above, it feels tangible, and above all it has character.

I love that Tyler's key influences include James Pants, Grizzly Bear and Alan Tew.

• Having Felicia Day yell "Wolf" during the performance made my night.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Interesting stuff. Won't make into my kitchen record rotation, but it's not really aimed at me.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    zeitgeist

Surely I'm not the only one who finds it wonderfully ironic that word we use to express the idea of "the spirit of here and now" is a foreign word coined in 1848.

• Genau, but this is often the way innit. Similarly schadenfreude is a notion I think one can only truly express in German.

I'm interested in the notion that "this isn't aimed at you". I mean I'm a balding 30 year old and it's clearly not aimed at me, but I feel implicated by its appeal. Is it the hipster-factor that some folks are having a kryptonite reaction to?