The Return of Odd Future

Comments

• oh, right. still, the fact that they are getting absolutely no love on the blogs (even as of today there is nothing on nahright) and are succeeding in spite of it is pretty cool.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Martin said:
    they have a guiding hand from high up and its working.

do tell

jeeeesus...

no, but really, that's what i was trying to get at with my question earlier about their management.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Martin said:
    hate to break it to you dudes but this is not a punk rock movement.

It is though, in that more punk rock types than rap types will champion it. It is very unlikely that it will cross over to the hood.

That's all fine and dandy, as rap doesn't absolutely have to be hood-accepted to be good/important. But let's do call it what it is...hipster music that just happens to be rap.

• why do we have to have new rapps?

why can't they just play T.R.O.Y. at the club?

• Oh lord... the hood ambassador has spoken!

@Martin... I guess that's true, but at the same time, they started yelling the "fuck nahright" etc precisely because they weren't getting any coverage there.

Oh Lord at you overcompenasting to such a degree, Jonny.

• Martin said:
    on a side note does anyone know whats up with the "fuck steve harvey" shit? never heard the story behind that.

That story stems from Earl. There were those who said that Earl looked like Steve Harvey, but instead Tyler stated that it was Steve Harvey who looked like Earl. I don't know what it really stems from, but that's what I've heard from the internets. And interviews.

Free Earl.

Martin said:
    It is very unlikely that it will cross over to the hood.

probably true to some extent but does make it not hip hop/ rap/ good?

werent de la hated on hard by at least some of the black community when they came out?

let these dudes live. im sure devin will fuck with em.

My point is that their music isn't good to begin with. Y'all are just caught up in the visual weirdness and how they are going to make you feel less old than say your usual run-of-the-mill hot rap club track of today does.

Edit: Well, maybe not so much you, Young Martin. But some of these other crusties for sure.

• HarveyCanal said:

Edit: Nevermind.

I'm out.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, what does this have to be, martian music?

Almost all the important genres of popular music in the last 60 years began as "martian music" that alienated the previous generations.....that is attractive to a 16 year old....a music that someone 30 and over can't possibly understand or like, therefore making it unique to that teen generation.....something they can take pride in and ownership of.

I haven't heard any "martian music" in a long time.....and while I watched Fallon last night and thought OF was really good....I didn't hear anything new or different.

They sold out a NYC show in 10 minutes....and if that show is packed with an under 18 crowd I'd say these guys have hit the target .....even if they did so by being "retro"....if that show is filled with 32 year old dudes I'd say it was lame on every level possible.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i think i need to read blogs. i dont. dont know what i should be reading these days? i read soulstrut and waxidermy and the nytimes. get my video updates from facebook. i consider myself antiquated and dusty.

i am lost but happy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Martin said:
    they have a guiding hand from high up and its working.

do tell

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. If Martin means they've got a pro management team on board now, well there's nothing unusual in that - they certainly wouldn't have got on Fallon without it, nor would they have been flown to the UK to do one buzz-generating show in the basement of a pub in North London. I very much doubt Tyler books all their shows personally.

I remember there was a lot of scepticism surrounding the Kings of Leon when they first came out. Putting aside any debate about their artistic merits, some people seemed to believe there was something sinister in their label and their publisher hooking them up with a jobbing Nashville songwriter before they made their first record. Instead of this being an example of old-fashioned artist development - get a seasoned pro in to teach a bunch of promising kids about dynamics, the mechanics of song structure and so on - it was actually empirical proof that they were manufactured by The Industry, and were in fact little more than the Backstreet Boys in CCR mufti. By that measure, you could say exactly a similar thing about the relationship between The Beatles and George Martin.

Obviously this may not be what Martin is suggesting here, but some people detect the unseen hand everywhere, and it's worth considering that things are often a lot less complex than some folks would like them to be.

EDIT: Damn, this thread is moving fast.

• i don't quiet understand how some of you guys are comparing their appearance on jimmy fallon to an appearance by jimi hendrix, misfits, sex pistols, etc. on national tv DECADES ago. they didn't have the internet & youtube back then; totally different times and context of music. no one would flinch if they saw someone fucking an amp with a guitar, performed with face paint, flipped the bird in current times.

i'd say more fans were already planning to watch (and found out strictly via the internet) than then number of new fans gained instantly from tuning in or being in the studio audience that night. on top of that, i doubt folks who consider themselves music heads specifically check out jimmy fallon to get up on some new music. internet > tv.

• Martin said:

and how they are going to make you feel less old than say your usual run-of-the-mill hot rap club track of today does.

"LYRICS, YO!"

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm out.

I've witnessed you dismiss 15 other rap groups over the years for doing this same sort of ish. So, for you to suddenly jump aboard this Odd Future thing reeks of something fishy to me, sorry. Not trying to step on your toes for genuinely liking something new, but when you act all high and mighty about other old dudes not getting it...pleez.

Okay though, I'll bow out of this one now. Plaese to carry on.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I'm out.

I've witnessed you dismiss 15 other rap groups over the years for doing this same sort of ish. So, for you to suddenly jump aboard this Odd Future thing reeks of something fishy to me, sorry. Not trying to step on your toes for genuinely liking something new, but when you act all high and mighty about other old dudes not getting it...pleez.

Okay though, I'll bow out of this one now. Plaese to carry on.

Feel free to pull my card on any of 15 rap groups that I dismissed for doing this same sort of ish. Otherwise it's just empty. I'm happy to admit being wrong.

I've been spending the last 6 months listening to 4-track tapes and demos and these kids remind me a lot of what kids in the Bay were doing when I started getting active in '93 or so. I am about the last dude to be on some hypebeast shit, so in that respect I think you've got me wrong.

• golf wang

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    cookbook said:
    golf wang

thats what we call o-dub when hes on the green

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    They sold out a NYC show in 10 minutes....and if that show is packed with an under 18 crowd I'd say these guys have hit the target .....if that show is filled with 32 year old dudes I'd say it was lame on every level possible.

I think this is a very pertinent point.

I like Odd Future a fair amount, but one, I'm old as fuck, and two, I'm crusty enough that the phenomenon of realizing that I like something even a little is itself enough to make me like it a little bit more, just on the strength (I'm in love with love, you know?). I'd be curious to know whether they have any real traction among folks their own age.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm also old enough and aristocratic enough that the answer ot that question won't change my mind about anything, but still, it'd be interesting to know.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    i don't quiet understand how some of you guys are comparing their appearance on jimmy fallon to people being introduced to jimi hendrix, misfits, sex pistols, etc. on national tv DECADES ago. they didn't have the internet & youtube back them; totally different times and context of music. no one would flinch if they saw someone fucking an amp with a guitar, performed with face paint, flipped the bird in current times.

i'd say more fans were already planning to watch (and found out strictly via the internet) than then number of new fans gained instantly from tuning in or being in the studio audience that night. on top of that, i doubt folks who consider themselves music heads specifically check out jimmy fallon to get up on some new music. internet > tv.

Well, my point, for all it's worth, was that by the time non-mainstream performers have made it to the mainstream nowadays, they've usually been "over" for years in the eyes of early adopters, whereas OFWGKTA have already made it that far without any kind of major label support and while they're still a relatively hot topic in so-called tastemaker circles. It didn't take them two albums and a couple of big movie syncs like it did with MIA. They're not an easily digestible hipster-friendly act with broad appeal like Vampire Weekend. Let's not forget there are still a lot of people out there who get their pop culture fix through the more conventional channels.

Also, can anyone tell me the last time an act without any kind of major-label deal (XL is an indie, before anyone mentions Tyler's deal with them) landed a spot on a network TV show in the US? My guess is somewhere between "a fucking long time ago" and "never". Either way, I doubt it happens often enough for it to be unworthy of comment.

• Rockadelic said:
    Almost all the important genres of popular music in the last 60 years began as "martian music" that alienated the previous generations.....that is attractive to a 16 year old....a music that someone 30 and over can't possibly understand or like, therefore making it unique to that teen generation.....something they can take pride in and ownership of.

This is it in a nutshell. Another thing that's been on my mind lately is that children born after Notorious B.I.G.'s death are about to enter their teens, thirteen in a few weeks.

• show was full of people in their teens and 20s. most of which knew every word to every song. the old motherfuckers in the back were called out to the tune of "fuck all you old motherfuckers in the back. you old motherfuckers. fuck your fucking job."

clever lyrics, great beats and a well-honed aesthetic. rap music. the end.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Martin said:
    james said:
    Rockadelic said:
    They sold out a NYC show in 10 minutes....and if that show is packed with an under 18 crowd I'd say these guys have hit the target .....if that show is filled with 32 year old dudes I'd say it was lame on every level possible.

I think this is a very pertinent point.

I like Odd Future a fair amount, but one, I'm old as fuck, and two, I'm crusty enough that the phenomenon of realizing that I like something even a little is itself enough to make me like it a little bit more, just on the strength (I'm in love with love, you know?). I'd be curious to know whether they have any real traction among folks their own age.

I mean, don't get me wrong: I'm also old enough and aristocratic enough that the answer ot that question won't change my mind about anything, but still, it'd be interesting to know.

i heard their dc show on the 15th was at least half kids under 21. they are definitely hitting in their own age group more than any other best as i can tell.

That's good to hear, for real.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    rape_donkeys said:
    "fuck all you old motherfuckers in the back. you old motherfuckers. fuck your fucking job."

This is GREAT....especially if those old dudes in the back of the room we're thinking "Yeah, fuck me, I am fucking lame".

• empanadamn said:

question: who's managing these kids? a friend told me something interesting about that. i'm actually surprised that someone like pharrell isn't snatching something like this up.

i'm old future :(

David A*****i and he's not getting them on interscope. That would be dumb since they have Dre on the schedule..

This guy can read contracts in his sleep and they've already passed on a major.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    rape_donkeys said:
    "fuck all you old motherfuckers in the back. you old motherfuckers. fuck your fucking job."

This is GREAT....especially if those old dudes in the back of the room we're thinking "Yeah, fuck me, I am fucking lame".

Haha! Seriously. I am old. And yes???I often share the sentiment of "fuck my fucking job."

May I inquire where the aging and gainfully employed Rape Donkeys was standing during this pronouncement?

• was crowd (swag) surfin'!

• he was crowd (swag) surfin'!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    jinx74 said:
    i am lost but happy.

All in all, not a bad way to be.

• What do they think of OFWGKTA in Australia, you know, where the realness resides?