Kon + Amir: 50 greatest HipHop Samples

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    It's hard to do a list like this because you're pressed to include shit that was pretty old-hat by the time other shit on the same list was in vogue. Trying to rep the b-boy era, the UBB era, the Roosevelt era... and beyond (not really repped but whatever)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There's no room for Poindexter to be reaching out into the great beyond for some unfamiliar singular look-at-clever-me bullshit. Dudes stuck to the crates in their mama's living room, the ones that everyone would jam as an already established regular ritual. You don't noodle around looking for the most obscure part of a Vic Juris record as you ain't got time for that bullshit. It's not 2 degrees here for months on end and the lifestyle calls for more life and less nerdery.

I am feeling the heat that Shied is bringing, though!

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    There's no room for Poindexter to be reaching out into the great beyond for some unfamiliar singular look-at-clever-me bullshit. Dudes stuck to the crates in their mama's living room, the ones that everyone would jam as an already established regular ritual. You don't noodle around looking for the most obscure part of a Vic Juris record as you ain't got time for that bullshit. It's not 2 degrees here for months on end and the lifestyle calls for more life and less nerdery.

I am feeling the heat that Shied is bringing, though!

The kid RG definitely had his Wheaties.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    My thing is just that discussing the criteria and underlying assumptions of the list is a lot more interesting than a bunch of "Yo, Bob James shoulda been on there!" type poasts.

Well, it's sort of possible to do both, if you're so inclined. I mean, whatever you think of the list itself, and notwithstanding any regional bias (perceived or otherwise) and issues of taste, the vast bulk of those 50 tunes can be said to have profoundly affected the aesthetic of rap music, whether through providing raw material for beatmakers or through their association with a classic record or records. And much as we may joke around on here about the bells and CTI terds now, it's worth considering that there was once a time when the wider world of hip-hop fans didn't have a clue what the source material for "Peter Piper" was, so the "Yo, Bob James shoulda been on there!" type poasts - if a little predictable, perhaps - aren't without validity.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    There were a number of Dre references so I'm not really sure what dudes are talking about with that.

Shock G is turning over in his grave

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hey, they could've mentioned how he looped up Bumpin' Bus Stop directly from the Gang Starr record!

• djcoolhandsdjcoolhands 548 Posts
    This was a fun morning coffee read.

As a kid from CA that moved to Nashville in 1993 I agree the South lacked the aesthetic of crate digging as a culture. That is not to say that there wasn't the occasional guy who was the exception to the rule. In that era, you either knew someone from Philly/NYC/Conn or you were hopelessly behind the curve as this was all pre-internet.

Why didn't anyone mention ESG? Roy Ayers should have been somewhere on the top 50 too.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Well, it's sort of possible to do both, if you're so inclined. I mean, whatever you think of the list itself, and notwithstanding any regional bias (perceived or otherwise) and issues of taste, the vast bulk of those 50 tunes can be said to have profoundly affected the aesthetic of rap music, whether through providing raw material for beatmakers or through their association with a classic record or records. And much as we may joke around on here about the bells and CTI terds now, it's worth considering that there was once a time when the wider world of hip-hop fans didn't have a clue what the source material for "Peter Piper" was, so the "Yo, Bob James shoulda been on there!" type poasts - if a little predictable, perhaps - aren't without validity.

This.

• Hey Harvey, my list was not meant to dismiss any southern rap or anyone else for that matter. As I said, I did that list off the top of the head and that's what I came up with. Yeah, I know I forgot Bob James and a bunch of others, but I did my best under the circumstances. Also for the record I am not hating on southern rap I just don't know any of their shit. I repp the east coast cause that's where I am from that's it. Lastly, the list was JUST my opinion not the end all of lists....

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    There were a number of Dre references so I'm not really sure what dudes are talking about with that.

Ummm...he's not dead. At least he wasn't a month
    ago.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Hey Harvey, my list was not meant to dismiss any southern rap or anyone else for that matter. As I said, I did that list off the top of the head and that's what I came up with. Yeah, I know I forgot Bob James and a bunch of others, but I did my best under the circumstances. Also for the record I am not hating on southern rap I just don't know any of their shit. I repp the east coast cause that's where I am from that's it. Lastly, the list was JUST my opinion not the end all of lists....

It's cool, it was still a good article. But really, you should know some Southern stuff by now. It's cool you rep where you're from though, I can respect that.

Ummm...he's not dead. At least he wasn't a month
    ago.

yea he's alive and well...i was joking....i also said J Swift was turning over in his grave too but i deleted it considering his situation

My thing is just that discussing the criteria and underlying assumptions of the list is a lot more interesting than a bunch of "Yo, Bob James shoulda been on there!" type poasts.

Eh... while I don't begrudge anyone the right to lob "Where is Roy Ayers???" bombs, I have zero interest in participating.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Hey Harvey, my list was not meant to dismiss any southern rap or anyone else for that matter. As I said, I did that list off the top of the head and that's what I came up with. Yeah, I know I forgot Bob James and a bunch of others, but I did my best under the circumstances. Also for the record I am not hating on southern rap I just don't know any of their shit. I repp the east coast cause that's where I am from that's it. Lastly, the list was JUST my opinion not the end all of lists....

It's cool, it was still a good article. But really, you should know some Southern stuff by now. It's cool you rep where you're from though, I can respect that.

why is it that you think Amir "should know some Southern stuff by now", my hillbilly friend? if he's anything like me (and he probably is- he's from the BIG east, after all) as soon as any of that garbage invades his personal space he plugs his fingers into his ears and starts thinking about one of the songs- ANY one of the songs- from "Illmatic" (aka down south ignorant retard rap kryptonite).

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    b/w i'm just playing, Harvey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not sure I'm getting why this thread is going in this direction.

For all this talk about the south is whats hot. This is the Internet. Are there no online or mags list that cover that?? Are there no outlets for the big names of the south to talk on this?

Does the mighty Shied not write? Why is he not doing his own thing. Instead of complaining about what Kon + Amir are speaking on.

Let Shied publish his own list of southern heat and let the lil dudes from the bleachers cry about how the east is not represented.

why is it that you think Amir "should know some Southern stuff by now", my hillbilly friend? if he's anything like me (and he probably is- he's from the BIG east, after all) as soon as any of that garbage invades his personal space he plugs his fingers into his ears and starts thinking about one of the songs- ANY one of the songs- from "Illmatic" (aka down south ignorant retard rap kryptonite).

I know you're playing, but that's just gotta be the way it really goes down up there...lol.

For all this talk about the south is whats hot. This is the Internet. Are there no online or mags list that cover that?? Are there no outlets for the big names of the south to talk on this?

Does the mighty Shied not write? Why is he not doing his own thing. Instead of complaining about what Kon + Amir are speaking on.

Let Shied publish his own list of southern heat and let the lil dudes from the bleachers cry about how the east is not represented.

Corny

"Stop using this discussion board to discuss things! Go write an article!"

Corny

Come on dude. It's no more corny than going on about why the south in not represented in some guys list who don't have much to do with southern rap.

It's kewl to make your point and move on with it.

Corny

Come on dude. It's no more corny than going on about why the south in not represented in some guys list who don't have much to do with southern rap.

Is the reference to "going on" directed at me?

I've made exactly one reference to the subject in this thread, and it was hardly a complaint.

I do, however, find the SoulStrut culture of hurt feelings and unwillingness to engage in actual discussion--particularly challenging discussion--immensely distasteful.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    it is totaly inadmissable that Kon & Amir have such a strong bias for US Rap on this topic. Why is it that there is not one song featured that was used on some marvelous kraut rap? Now is 2010 and we live in a globalized world and there is no excuse for having such an one-dimensional, american centric taste in music. Kon & Amir, step your kraut game up!

Corny

Is the reference to "going on" directed at me?

I've made exactly one reference to the subject in this thread, and it was hardly a complaint.

I do, however, find the SoulStrut culture of hurt feelings and unwillingness to engage in actual discussion--particularly challenging discussion--immensely distasteful.

No it was not directed at you.

I'm sure no one has a problem with actual discussion or healthy debate. Read the posting after the OP. It did indeed start out that way.

Harv came in and did his usual "Not this same old shit again..." and proceeded into making this not about Kon + Amir list. But why the fuck the south doesn't get it's love. It's the peoples music, etc etc etc

I mean, don't get me wrong. It's ended up making a decent thread on it's own by JP.

But the point is. Why come into a thread which is on a top list by dudes who's lives don't have much to do with southern rap? Make your points, whatever... But he wasn't actually debating the list. He turned it into something entirely different.

^^^The thread critic over here. You got anything to actually contribute on any front? Oh yeah, that's right...you never do.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    "Yo, Funkadelic's "Good Old Music" shoulda been on there!"

Was that the best you got? I would have thought someone with so much pent up aggression would come up with something, a little more... Of his stature.

• not that anyone here cares or that it really even matters, but re: #46 on Kon & Amir's list- I was the one that debuted the Bob Azzam record at the Roosevelt Show. Buckwild had it already, he got it out in California. Nobody else knew it. I ended up selling it to Prince Be for $400, which back then in the mid 90's was probably the most any beat-related record had ever sold for. Just sayin'.

I remember reading this in one of your articles, years ago.
    Yeah me too, that popped into my head when I saw Bob Azzam on the list.

I was thinking about that Les De Merle record last week. Age hooked me up with Transfusion at Christmas time, Spectrum is still high up on the want list.

Anyway, props on the list fellas. Interesting read.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    challenging discussion

list of rap samples

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Amir and I had a great discussion about this list tonight while we were walking around the LES. People are taking this list WAY TOO SERIOUS!!!!!!!!! Just enjoy the list and you might learn something!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts