Kon + Amir: 50 greatest HipHop Samples

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

And Amir, no need to explain shit in this thread, IMO.

cosign!!! that shit was great man, it took me back to what got me into old records in the first place....ALL THAT SHIT!!!!! even if it was premeditated, that list is rock solid and brings me back to great times.

other things that couldamaybe shoulda been up there:

grover with hydra and knucklehead
    some galt? either ripped open or the wooha joint of woman is sweeter. damn, even hair is a classic ass foundation (if you go on to count all its variations)

i mean, theres so damn many. yall chose well, sirs

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Bob James is absent also.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I know where your going Harvey, but isnt it safe to say that the lack of South's Sampledelic stuff isnt on the list because the South's dominance came after the 'Boom Bap' Era?

Even though its supposed to be Of All-Time......

I can sniff out when those who were holding grudges against the South 10+ years ago are still making a point to do it today.

That's just their steez, they like rolling with it...and I like calling it out for what it is. Ain't no big deal, just a comment.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I know where your going Harvey, but isnt it safe to say that the lack of South's Sampledelic stuff isnt on the list because the South's dominance came after the 'Boom Bap' Era?

Southern artists were selling just as well as most of the revered boom-bap artists at the time; they were just being hated on by all the NY-centric media outlets.

It is, however, true--as Noz recently pointed out on his blog--that there was historically far less fetishizing of diggin' in tha crates in the South, though.

"Drag Rap" a/k/a "Triggerman" is still one of the all-time great sample sources.

• thx sir! trust me, it was extremely hard because there are so many great samples/breaks that we "missed" but with 50 to list that was just crazy! by the way, I am straight kicking myself that I didn't include bob james!!! straight absent minded...

amir

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Southern artists were selling just as well as most of the revered boom-bap artists at the time; they were just being hated on by all the NY-centric media outlets.

What years are u talmbout?

87/88 or 93/94?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

b. the impact it had on sample/break collectors at that time

Personally, this was the part I enjoyed the most reading about. I'm always fascinated at how trends work within that community.

Overall, I enjoyed the list; I thought it was rather Tribe heavy (and this is as a "Tribe guy") but hey, no one could create a bulletproof list.

b/w

And I mean this genuinely - I want to see Harvey's Top 50.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

And I mean this genuinely - I want to see Harvey's Top 50.

What years are u talmbout?

87/88 or 93/94?

Early nineties. The DITC era; not the UBB era.

• And Amir, no need to explain shit in this thread, IMO.

cosign!!! that shit was great man, it took me back to what got me into old records in the first place....ALL THAT SHIT!!!!! even if it was premeditated, that list is rock solid and brings me back to great times.

+1 Thanks, great fun.

Meters - Just Kissed My Baby - PE
    Isaac Hayes - Hung Up on My Baby - Geto Boys
    Isaac Hayes - Joy - Spice1
    Whodini - I'm a Ho - Eazy E
    Show Boys - Drag Rap - various NOLA bounce
    Derek B - Rock the Beat - various NOLA bounce
    Tyrone Davis - In the Mood - MC Eiht
    Marvin Gaye - Is That Enough - Three 6 Mafia
    Switch - the one on Switch II - Rich Boy
    Joe Simon - Cleopatra Jones - CMW
    Fred Wesley - Blow Your Head - PE
    James Brown - Don't Tell It - Boogie Down Productions
    BT Express - If It Don't Turn You On - EPMD
    Curtis Mayfield - Future Shock - UGK
    Willie Hutch - I Choose You - UGK
    George McCrae - I Get Lifted - Big Daddy Kane
    Joe Tex - Give the Baby Anything - Kool G Rap
    Bootsy Collins - What's a Telephone Bill - Paul Wall & Cham
    Isley Brothers - Ain't I Been Good to You - UGK

Something like that, and then add a bunch from Kon & Amir's list to that.

Never have I thought it should be swayed one way or another. Boom bap still holds it's worth. But it's far from the only standard at work. Diversify...please.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

jus sayin

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    I think one of the most blatant bites in rap occurred when Dre and Snoop used the McCullum sample after it was first flipped on the Missin Linx track.

thanks for checking it out... fyi amir picked em all, i didnt have time... so doing the phone interview was like a pop quiz. i just went along with it.

i was just saying the other day.. i dont think we fully realize the magnitude of what James brown has done for music and hip hop. think about that one. r&b pre and post James.

awareness>bite> i highly doubt snoop or dre was bumpin missin linx and had knowledge of the sample source to begin with.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

jus sayin

But did cats plunder the rest of the song.

I dont know 10 rap songs that used that specific part.

Some samples are so good that cats just cant touch them after that.

Then we get into the Sample vs Break vs Loop.....etc...blah blah blah

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

awareness>bite> i highly doubt snoop or dre was bumpin missin linx and had knowledge of the sample source to begin with.

I highly doubt you're right on that. thanks again for 42, dickhead.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

It is, however, true--as Noz recently pointed out on his blog--that there was historically far less fetishizing of diggin' in tha crates in the South, though.

"Drag Rap" a/k/a "Triggerman" is still one of the all-time great sample sources.

This coming from 2 Southern dudes talking about a list from 2 East Coast dudes. Of course they're gonna talk about records they listened to just like you would. This isn't a book it's an off-the-cuff list for the internet.
    Harvey driving the bitching and moaning over it is comedy.

This coming from 2 Southern dudes talking about a list from 2 East Coast dudes. Of course they're gonna talk about records they listened to just like you would. This isn't a book it's an off-the-cuff list for the internet.
    Harvey driving the bitching and moaning over it is comedy.

I listened to all of those records, too.

I had thought the purpose of poasting a link to an inherently subjective list was to foster a discussion.

I guess I was mistaken.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

THIS LIST IS FUSKED UP BECAUSE THE ONLY SOUTHERN GIRLS REPRESENTED ARE BEYONCE AND SOLANGE KNOWLES.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I applaud those dudes for even attempting to make the list...not to mention off the top of the head ..so i can excuse some regional bias...it's a cool list and a fun read.....i'd have a hard time coming up with just 50 .... buuuuut...ummmm...yea

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

I highly doubt you're right on that. thanks again for 42, dickhead.

how so, theres no list of sample clearance on missin linx... and honestly... knowing what i do know.. that camp operates within a complete different orbit.

my take on the scenario... mel mans at tsl: " hey check this sample out"

coming from a guy whos constantly reppin the next "lil" or "young" rapper in posts...

harvey, as far as the souths influence on production and sampling as an artform in the 80s and 90s.... there was almost none outside of the region, cept for ghetto boys and say organized noize.

who are you solar in this thread ?

its only been recently where hip hop has been influenced....sorry i meant plagued with the same old synth patches, bounce beat drum fills on every 16...and so on. you can have it back.

Yeah, how could we expect 2 "east coast dudes" to think 2 inches outside of the box they came up in?

Seriously though, it would better serve THEM as experts on samples to incorporate a broader range of hip-hop.

When 2 Live Crew sampled Mass Production's Firecracker...that was genius! Yet I never hear anyone ever shout that one out.

Plus, some of the shift in region would represent a shift towards fun and away from having a sausage fetish for studio nerdom.

But I guess that's y'all's choice there.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Harvey driving the bitching and moaning over everything is boring and old.

Nice selection Amir, great quotes and descriptions by both.

harvey, as far as the souths influence on production and sampling as an artform in the 80s and 90s.... there was almost none outside of the region, cept for ghetto boys and say organized noize.

Somewhat right...but it's now 2010. And since say 2000, that Southern style of production has completely dominated the game, most notably outside of the region. That's why when it comes down to it, if y'all were merely open enough to include say Drag Rap, Hung Up on My Baby, that Sippin Syrup joint, and I Choose You...it would show that you aren't working with a 100% bias...and with only that, someone like me would no longer have a critique for you.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    a great and entertaining read. i really liked the comments for esch track and appreciate the work put in in uploading not only the full OG version but also a song that sampled it.

the tone of voice was cool, it felt like a casual discussion rather than a be-all-end-all definitive list (despite the title)

[onlinegeek]the navigation was good too, the numbered clickable boxes made navigating the piece simple and easy{/onlinegeek]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    a fun read, thanks

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    great piece.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, a fun read.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Meters - Just Kissed My Baby - PE
    Isaac Hayes - Hung Up on My Baby - Geto Boys
    Isaac Hayes - Joy - Spice1
    Whodini - I'm a Ho - Eazy E
    Show Boys - Drag Rap - various NOLA bounce
    Derek B - Rock the Beat - various NOLA bounce
    Tyrone Davis - In the Mood - MC Eiht
    Marvin Gaye - Is That Enough - Three 6 Mafia
    Switch - the one on Switch II - Rich Boy
    Joe Simon - Cleopatra Jones - CMW
    Fred Wesley - Blow Your Head - PE
    James Brown - Don't Tell It - Boogie Down Productions
    BT Express - If It Don't Turn You On - EPMD
    Curtis Mayfield - Future Shock - UGK
    Willie Hutch - I Choose You - UGK
    George McCrae - I Get Lifted - Big Daddy Kane
    Joe Tex - Give the Baby Anything - Kool G Rap
    Bootsy Collins - What's a Telephone Bill - Paul Wall & Cham
    Isley Brothers - Ain't I Been Good to You - UGK

plaese to add Timex Social Club "thinkin about ya" - various NOLA bounce

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    do you guys like funkadelic? has anybody sampled them yet?