Kon + Amir: 50 greatest HipHop Samples

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

not that anyone here cares or that it really even matters, but re: #46 on Kon & Amir's list- I was the one that debuted the Bob Azzam record at the Roosevelt Show. Buckwild had it already, he got it out in California. Nobody else knew it. I ended up selling it to Prince Be for $400, which back then in the mid 90's was probably the most any beat-related record had ever sold for. Just sayin'.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

not that anyone here cares or that it really even matters, but re: #46 on Kon & Amir's list- I was the one that debuted the Bob Azzam record at the Roosevelt Show. Buckwild had it already, he got it out in California. Nobody else knew it. I ended up selling it to Prince Be for $400, which back then in the mid 90's was probably the most any beat-related record had ever sold for. Just sayin'.

I remember reading this in one of your articles, years ago.
    Where, how much & when did you get it? I'm dead serious, I love shit like this.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    leo sayer?

There's one song on the list that samples a cut from Endless Flight, even if there's no direct mention of it. I saw that and wondered for a moment if Kon & Amir chose it with one eye on the Strut in-joke factor.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    leo sayer?

There's one song on the list that samples a cut from Endless Flight, even if there's no direct mention of it. I saw that and wondered for a moment if Kon & Amir chose it with one eye on the Strut in-joke factor.

Gangstarr?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    great stuff!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I remember reading this in one of your articles, years ago.
    Where, how much & when did you get it? I'm dead serious, I love shit like this.

got it in a shop in Delaware for a buck (along with that Michel Polnareef record that was on a Dusty Fingers comp, also for a buck) back in... what was it, 1994? 95 maybe? I forget.
    And BTW, let me correct myself- Bob Gibson actually may have had the record too, now that I think back. I think he might have had a different pressing... not even sure it was an OG, but I think he did have it at that same record show I brought it out at. Everybody was making such a big deal about my copy, so I'm not 100%sure. Regardless, Bob was a great dealer and an all around good guy, definitely somebody I learned a lot about music from.

Bob James is absent also.

Yeah, surprised not to see either Mardi Gras (with the bells) and/or Nautilus in there.

Derek B - Rock the Beat - various NOLA bounce

Wait, what? Derek B as in the recently-departed UK DJ/MC/producer? Wow, I had no idea. What would you say is the best/most readily-available example?

leo sayer?

Gangstarr?

Yep.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    great article. a count of how many people on here own those would be a good answer to the other thread

Hey Beatnicholas,

That's a great point, and actually, I have most of them (yaaaaaay!!!). Also, big-ups to Kon and Amir for an interesting and nostalgic list. It reminded me of old beats I made over the years. Thanks!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

i care, this is history. phil...yall put in so much work. im still a student, still learning daily.
    the fact that one would spend $500 just based on a 5 second drum break is insane, yet at the same time it held and holds so much weight in history.

diggin or what ever you want to call it... has helped so many find out that much more.

sadly the south really hasnt had much to do with the art of sampling, aside from a few random tidbits...i cant name one producer from back in the day known for this approach/aesthetic.
    primo is from texas but he repped bk... he doesnt count.

who from the south went the extra mile to chef up unknown drum breaks, chop the hell out of samples use euro library or jazz records.. while some from the south carry this "east coast" tradition on today (9th wonder).....stop trying to force whats not there. the south was never known for this.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    What about T-Ray?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    What about T-Ray?

what southern records is he responsible for... artifacts or double xx posse ?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

who from the south went the extra mile to chef up unknown drum breaks, chop the hell out of samples use euro library or jazz records.. while some from the south carry this "east coast" tradition on today (9th wonder).....stop trying to force whats not there. the south was never known for this.

Hey,

As a southerner, originally (I'm from North Carolina), the statement above is true. Cats around my way thought my beat breaks on tracks were from a drum machine. They were still on some 808/909 shit while I was coming home with 'stacks' of records. I came up big because NO ONE ELSE was diggin' on wax. I had carte blanche and those were the days. The only dudes in record stores with me down there were old hippy dudes. They used to trip off my knowledge of music from THEIR era.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    What about T-Ray?

what southern records is he responsible for... artifacts or double xx posse ?

I was responding to this:

sadly the south really hasnt had much to do with the art of sampling, aside from a few random tidbits...i cant name one producer from back in the day known for this approach/aesthetic.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    North Carolina cats count? I mean...technically, it IS the South...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yo, not for nothing... Noz' article on Southern Sampling is pretty good. He was just saying how like, basically dudes were reaching more for popular soul tunes (some of which Harvey did list above, eg "Cleopatra Jones" or whatever) as opposed to having the kind of culture of seeking out shit to stump heads that was popular up top.

I mean, to paraphrase Noz, Pimp C was probably the only dude digging in Port Arthur TX at that time.

That being said, this hip-hop thing really was driven by the breaks and samples and the producers that were going LITERALLY the extra mile to get some new and different schitt... I doubt if you asked any number of Southern Rappers/Producers they would dispute that.

How much did Mr. Lawnge from Black Sheep contribte to the samples/production on the first album? It was an "East Coast" group.

alot of the samples are from Southern Artists....

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Great thread. Good article guys a nice way to start my day off drink my morning coffee.
    And everyone else its just a list its all subjective.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Soulstrut fucking blows...

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

So by this logic, Guru doesn't count as being from Boston right? Because he repped BK?

All I'm saying is, it's a lot more complex than where your apartment is located when you made the record.

Primo grew up in Texas, why disregard that? Why exclude that? It all counts, it all factors into what made his sound.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

So by this logic, Guru doesn't count as being from Boston right? Because he repped BK?

All I'm saying is, it's a lot more complex than where your apartment is located when you made the record.

Primo grew up in Texas, why disregard that? Why exclude that? It all counts, it all factors into what made his sound.

This is true but Guru & Preme obviously viewed/view themselves as NY cats. They didn't deny where they were from but being in NY nearly half their lives, they did/do rep NY hard.

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    #18...wrong cut off the record

damn.can i get editing credits?

Whoa I did not know the source of that Beatnuts track. (and I still don't if they listed the album title??)

Fun list!

I have been bumping that old G Rap remix all month too. (#27)

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    North Carolina cats count? I mean...technically, it IS the South...

"technically", really? you sound like someone from california.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

hilarious for you to quote this considering your avatar.
    hahahaa....caught in the act. sucking and shit. hahahaaa

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

denek swallows!!!!!!

hahaaa
    those the types that fucks wit me!!! serious B I!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    please

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Haha Tony you drinking?