simple question: which funk record is the most..

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    headhunters is a jazz record. jazz-funk. this is funk:

See but the vocals are straight soul to me. Not like JB.

BINGO

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    headhunters is a jazz record. jazz-funk. this is funk:

See but the vocals are straight soul to me. Not like JB.

I feel you there. Soul can be funky be FUNK is FUNK!! IMO, the best funk tunes always had a jam session type feel, like it happened once and they're damn lucky the tape was rolling when it did.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i haven't pulled this out in some time but it has to be another soulstrut funk staple.

Yeah I'd agree. That or Greatest Hits, one of the best selling classic funk records of all time.

Photobucket

OK - THAT'S IT.

I want definitions. Exactly what about the Fresh LP and Sly's hits are funky? What?

You guys are killing me.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

i haven't pulled this out in some time but it has to be another soulstrut funk staple.

Yeah I'd agree. That or Greatest Hits, one of the best selling classic funk records of all time.

Photobucket

OK - THAT'S IT.

I want definitions. Exactly what about.......Sly's hits are funky? What?

You guys are killing me.

Larry Graham, and the energy of the band. They played like their lives depended on it.

Photobucket

OK - THAT'S IT.

I want definitions. Exactly what about the Fresh LP and Sly's hits are funky? What?

You guys are killing me.

Whoa.....

U got FRESH as a SOUL album?

and

This be FUNK.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

YES.

YES.

Ill have to disagree.

Those spare drum machine arrangements are in a different realm from Al Green...IMO in 1974. It sounds str8 Pimpish to me.

Yes there are joints like Que Sera Sera/If It Were Left Up To Me which leans more towards SOUL, but the overall feel of that album is in line w/ some Funky shit.

Funk was well oiled by '74.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Fresh was 72

Small Talk was 74

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Fresh was 72

Small Talk was 74

No, Fresh was '73.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    OK - THAT'S IT.

THIS MAN RAT HERE:

Bassie, you know you alright w/me, but it is a SAD day when we gotta justify Mr. Grams! You know how many funk bassists this man influenced?

And even on the later tracks where Larry was replaced, whoever was bassin' by then was clearly walking in his shoes! And setting the pace for the funk to come.

• I have a beat-up copy of the shaft 'cafe regio's' 45. Does that count?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    See that part in the video where Isaac raises both arms right after his cape is removed for him?

The pure unadulterated funk that came screaming out of those armpits killed the whole case right then and there - there was enough funk there to smash 18 little record collecting websites with dudes looking at records and scratching their head -

[urkel voice] "I wonder if this is really funk. Let me look it up in a book". [/urkel voice]

Love to the world.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    See that part in the video where Isaac raises both arms right after his cape is removed for him?

The pure unadulterated funk that came screaming out of those armpits killed the whole case right then and there - there was enough funk there to smash 18 little record collecting websites with dudes looking at records and scratching their head -

[urkel voice] "I wonder if this is really funk. Let me look it up in a book". [/urkel voice]

haaaa

OK... back to the subject at hand, this is very serious business!!!!

I have a beat-up copy of the shaft 'cafe regio's' 45. Does that count?

NO! it could be a beat up chineese or russian pressing with unreadable letters and shit, as long as its the same record, rules are VERY strict!!!!!

Its time to end this and as the man sings: we?re a winner.. after a quick thread overview, it looks like it, nobody has come out and said that they did not own a copy of super fly, even the raer collectro type terpid funk hatters...
    a few here hasnt got shaft mandrill jb or other stuff mentioned, so it seems super fly is the most common funk keeper on ss, dont know if that reflects the rest of the record nerd head scratching booger picking beard growing collectro universe....maybe ?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i've never seen "it's just begun" in a store, and i've never EVER seen ANY original cymande LP in a store. we're talking 12 years of collecting and i've never run into either.

troglodyte 45? common. the message 45? kinda common, but LPs? nope. not around here anyway.

superfly gets my "common" vote. i still see that record in thrift stores regularly.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Inobody has come out and said that they did not own a copy of super fly

Never ever found the OG for a reasonable price around these parts...call me disconnected from the local wholistic Strut collection...I still vote for Jimmy Castor...

Never ever found the OG for a reasonable price around these parts...call me disconnected from the local wholistic Strut collection...I still vote for Jimmy Castor...

PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE THE REISSUE IF SUCH A THING EXISTS...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Come on Upski to the boo, you should know I don't eff with reissues...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    i've never EVER seen ANY original cymande LP in a store

Now I understand how that Brit-collector-Imperialism-thing feels.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Here's a little story..

A guy dies. And goes to heaven.

As he's rubbing his eyes and peering through the mist, he realizes he's looking at the pearly gates.

He makes his way over there.

A hooded figure is seated by the gates, smoking what smells like a doobie.

The figure, noticing the dead guy standing there, stubs out the doobie and looks up.

"Hello. whats your name?" a deep, booming voice asks.

So the guy tells the gatekeeper his name.

"And what do, sorry, did, you do in life?" asks the gatekeeper.

"Eh, im a funk record collector. I collect records sir. Funk records." the guy mumbles.

"Funk records aye?"

"Yes, I like digging through second hand record crates, finding funk records for my funk record collection, sir. 15 years in the game. It's the bomb."

"Hmmmm." The figure grabs a book and starts leafing through it.

"So, you say you're a crate digger huh? Funk records, lets see.
    In your 'funk record collection', do you have a copy of THIS?"

Amazingly, the figure pulls a gleaming M/M og copy of the Shaft soundtrack right out of the book!

The guy is shocked - he turns pale.
    "Eh, no. No, sir I dont own a copy of that one. I eh, I..."

In one movement, the figure rises and throws off the hood.

The guy is flabbergasted when he realizes: that's ISAAC HAYES!

Isaac arches his eyebrow and looks at the guy.

"C'mon Son. The fuck outta here with that bullshit!"

The floors opens up underneath the guy. As fear grips his heart, and he plummets down, down, way down, he realizes.

Isaac Hayes gets to say fuck in heaven.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Never ever found the OG for a reasonable price around these parts...call me disconnected from the local wholistic Strut collection

Same here.

Superfly is neither cheap nor plentiful in Scandinavia as you can probably imagine.

Shaft on the other hand...

OK - THAT'S IT.

Bassie, you know you alright w/me, but it is a SAD day when we gotta justify Mr. Grams! You know how many funk bassists this man influenced?

And even on the later tracks where Larry was replaced, whoever was bassin' by then was clearly walking in his shoes! And setting the pace for the funk to come.

lol - Thank You, you, too, are alright with me! In no way am I trying to take away from Graham or his footrpint.
    I'll give it to the hits (I am not that stubborn!), but as the band has always rode the borders of soul, funk and rock, Fresh is soul territory to me.
    I will retreat back into the mind garden now.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Surely every dude on here has this....don't they?

nope don't have it

• markus71markus71 937 Posts

nope don't have it

Impossible to dislike. This should be in every funkcollection.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Ain't got it either.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

nope don't have it

Impossible to dislike. This should be in every funkcollection.

I have NEVER seen this in the field or at conventions. Never seen the movie.

I wont hatt on its goodness, but i dont think this is some common funk record at all.