simple question: which funk record is the most..

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    i think i enjoy that Live at the Fillmore more than Young, Black and Gifted these days.

clue us into this conversation - did someone say they did not have any Aretha or just one or...?

i mentioned having purged all my aretha lp's except young, gifted but then i realized i also kept live at fillmore so the post seemed less emphatic. for some reason her albums just don;t really do it for me, her production team wasn't consistent and didn;t always get her the best material or put her the best musical contexts...

Whatever, just say you needed an extra $2 for bills and leave it short of all that critic-gone-wrong bs.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    harv, are you ok?

harv, are you ok?

Yes, I like Aretha's music.

i meant it was such a weird and random flash of anger and resentment on your part.

There was/is no anger on my part whatsoever. What you said above about Aretha though...is about as c'mon now as it gets. Next thing you know you are going to cite exhaling air as being completely over it as well.

i'm so over exhaling air. and mandrill.

for the life of me, i never crave to hear an aretha record, as much as i love her voice and certain of her songs.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

How is THIS not the answer????

also, mandrill ftw.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    I say its a toss up: superfly or shaft, & shaft = most common i reckon? I mean you could pull shaft at a rural romanian hoe down and be all like ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. you need a copy tho.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    its a toss up: superfly or shaft

I'd say Superfly AND Shaft. They both sold equal amounts of albums in the early seventies and found their way into a lot of homes (and later, used shops).

shaft is waaay more common. i can still flip a superfly with a decent cover for 10 bucks or so. shaft is one "funk" record you're going to find in even the most pinched out of goodwill bins.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah, Shaft is more common. I've seen like 20 in a row in record store bins.

won an oscar. no other funk lp can claim that.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Dudes, you are all trippin'....

Common as all hell.

I really wish I could call Cymande, Headhunters and Food for thought COMMON. Not in my part of the world... There's a copy of Tough guys in every store though.

Winner/actually funky:

And Superfly and Shaft are only certified gold; Headhunters is certified platinum, therefore more common.

headhunters is a jazz record. jazz-funk. this is funk:

That's incidental movie music that transitions into a disco beat. Has little to do with The Meters and the spirit of funk.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

debatable. still doesnt change the fact that headhunters is jazz-funk.

debatable. still doesnt change the fact that headhunters is jazz-funk.

Funk-Jazz

aaaaand the oscar goes to:

Mr. Isaac Hayes - Shaft OST. The most common funk record every self respecting vinyl funk collection should incorporate.

/CLOSE THREAD

aaaaand the oscar goes to:

Mr. Isaac Hayes - Shaft OST. The most common funk record every self respecting vinyl funk collection should incorporate.

headhunters is jazz-funk.
    "Jazz" is the modifier to "funk," which is the base. It's funk. You just admitted it. Jazz-FUNK. FUNK. Deal.

Shaft is CRIME JAZZ.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I never owned Shaft

I really wish I could call Cymande, Headhunters and Food for thought COMMON. Not in my part of the world... There's a copy of Tough guys in every store though.

The person who started this thread didn't mean common in the store, they meant common in Soul Strut collections.

And pleez, no jokes about this guy:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

The person who started this thread didn't mean common in the store, they meant common in Soul Strut collections.

And pleez, no jokes about this guy:

You mean the actor, Common?

• lazolalazola 23 Posts

i haven't pulled this out in some time but it has to be another soulstrut funk staple.

Yeah I'd agree. That or Greatest Hits, one of the best selling classic funk records of all time.

Photobucket

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

See but the vocals are straight soul to me. Not like JB.