simple question: which funk record is the most..

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    James Brown - Payback

but on the JB tip, this is much more common, no ?

I don't see why.

The Payback screams ***funk essential.*** Reality, on the other hand, is just optional.

That'd be like choosing Isaac Hayes' Chocolate Chip over Hot Buttered Soul.

But this is a soul record.

In Isaac Hayes' case, I'll cut him some slack.

Four long songs...extended acid-rock guitar solos...tight rhythm section grooves...there's a lot of crossover with the funk movement on this one.

If somebody had mentioned, say, the Delfonics or the Moments or even an instrumental band like Booker T. & the MG's, THEN I would have said "that's soul, not funk." But Isaac Hayes' songs like "Hyperbolic(etc.)" and "Theme From Shaft" (of course) definitely share some things in common with funk.

Have never had the Mandrill or Kool & The Gangs "light of worlds".

The only Mandrill I have, besides a handful of singles, is a best-of.

As for Kool & the Gang, I have most of their LP's, but not the one mentioned above.

In K&TG's case, I would think Wild & Peaceful is the most common, since it has the three-way attack of "Funky Stuff," "Hollywood Swinging," & "Jungle Boogie."

(And the indispensable "More Funky Stuff" makes four.)

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    war & mandrill combined < damu the fudgemunk

lol - oh man...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    oops... wrong threaed... let me try this again at the og war vs mandrill thread...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    James Brown - Payback

but on the JB tip, this is much more common, no ?

I don't see why.

The Payback screams ***funk essential.*** Reality, on the other hand, is just optional.

That'd be like choosing Isaac Hayes' Chocolate Chip over Hot Buttered Soul.

yeah i hear what u are sayin, payback > reality

still though, chocolate chip ??? nah thats stretching it a bit homie... chocolate chip hasnt got a funky president track!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    didn't we do something similar to this already, we couldn't even find a common artist filed amongst everyone, let alone an album!! lol

I have never owned the Payback on LP

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol - we can't even agree on the genre!

I would be curious to know who doesn't have at least one record by these folks...artists who I think we, in the most general way, can agree are staples:

Marvin Gaye
    Curtis Mayfield
    James Brown
    Isaac Hayes
    Teddy
    EWF
    Aretha Franklin
    Nina Simone
    Mandrill
    War

edit - I forgot Aretha and Nina. I am sure this list will not to be to everyone's liking, but I am trying to keep it "common". HUMOUR ME.

I have never owned a Teddy LP & currently have no EWF LPs. The others are there.

I definitely remember someone confessing to having no James Brown LPs last time which shocked me.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I would be curious to know who doesn't have at least one record by these folks...artists who I think we, in the most general way, can agree are staples:

Marvin Gaye
    Curtis Mayfield
    James Brown
    Isaac Hayes
    Teddy
    EWF
    Aretha Franklin
    Nina Simone
    Mandrill
    War

edit - I forgot Aretha and Nina. I am sure this list will not to be to everyone's liking, but I am trying to keep it "common". HUMOUR ME.

No Teddy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    IMO Nina doesn't belong on that list. I've got one of her albums actually...and multiples of all others listed.

Yea, there's a couple on there I would not put on a more personal list and others I would add, but I was trying to loosely capture the Board.

If a common artist is found, I will be extremely surprised if a common LP is found from their work.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I'm definitely lacking in the Teddy department.

so who will eliminate any of these??

Marvin Gaye
    Curtis Mayfield
    James Brown
    Isaac Hayes
    Aretha Franklin
    Nina Simone
    Mandrill
    War

Marvin Gaye
    Curtis Mayfield
    James Brown
    Isaac Hayes
    Teddy
    EWF
    Aretha Franklin
    Nina Simone
    Mandrill
    War

I have albums by all of these artists except Teddy, who I actually like better with Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. I have a couple of Teddy singles ("I Don't Love You Anymore," "Love TKO"), but that's as far as I'm willing to go.

I don't even have any Harold Melvin LPs anymore ha ha

• even this one!?

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i erased my other post where i said i purged all the queen of soul lp's except young gifted and black. i see i still kept the live one as well but mostly because i love her band on that one (king curtis et al).

this thraed is a lot of fun, it's getting me to go back and revisit records i had long ago filed...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    If a common artist is found, I will be extremely surprised if a common LP is found from their work.

it has to be Superfly no?

• i think i enjoy that Live at the Fillmore more than Young, Black and Gifted these days.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Who doesn't have Superfly?

i think i enjoy that Live at the Fillmore more than Young, Black and Gifted these days.

clue us into this conversation - did someone say they did not have any Aretha or just one or...?

• Who doesn't have Superfly?

hopefully no one on here.

what about Shaft?

even this one!?

no, i've never owned that LP

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "...but that's as far as I'm willing to go."

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

• i think i enjoy that Live at the Fillmore more than Young, Black and Gifted these days.

clue us into this conversation - did someone say they did not have any Aretha or just one or...?

haha, yes, someone said they purged all but YG&B but then deleted his post right when i posted that. lol. very confusing

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i think i enjoy that Live at the Fillmore more than Young, Black and Gifted these days.

i mentioned having purged all my aretha lp's except young, gifted but then i realized i also kept live at fillmore so the post seemed less emphatic. for some reason her albums just don;t really do it for me, her production team wasn't consistent and didn;t always get her the best material or put her the best musical contexts...

Who doesn't have Superfly?

hopefully no one on here.

what about Shaft?
    these will both be too common for someone, give it time......