simple question: which funk record is the most..

Comments

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    By the way Mandrill is super common in Finland, but I just have never found one cheap enough to cop.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    To be clear, I understood common-ass as a record one sees in most record stores. I have that Mandrill record, but did not see it before I bought it and have not seen it since.

If you mean common-ass to Strutters, then I did not read your initial post correctly.

Either way, I'll be surprised if it is that Mandrill record.

i ment, if you lined up all of soulstruts entire record collection which funk record would pop up the most ?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I think this is the most common of the classic KATG records:

And this has to be way up there on the "everybody has this one" list

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

ANY STRUTTER MEN OR WOMEN PLEASE REPORT TO THIS THREAD IF U AINT GOT THIS OR OTHER

I'm too advanced for Mandrill.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    JB's common? if im not mistaken a clean copy of Doing it to Death goes for $40+... most NY, LA, Chi diggers may think these records are common but in smaller markets you can search for years without finding original JB's LP's.

Also, Tough Guys is an easier pull then Superfly?? NO...I think Superfly is probably the universal funk unifiyer.

I passed on that Mandrill a couple weeks back but its maybe the 2nd time ive seen it in the field, first time at a reasonable price...

this question is not really all that simple.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

ANY STRUTTER MEN OR WOMEN PLEASE REPORT TO THIS THREAD IF U AINT GOT THIS OR OTHER

LOL!!! awesome.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

LOL!!! awesome.

they tell me that mandrill aint SHIT compared to

LOL!!! awesome.

ooooh but then there's "I Refuse to Smile." How can you get rid of that?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    everyone should have kool and the gang-light of worlds
    probably my favorite koolnda gang

i walked (i walked and walked)
    like a zombie in the niiiiight

yeah light of worlds is great street corner symphony is my shiit

to my knowledge though live at the sex machine is more common, and from that particular period in time, id say the most common of their albums has to be love and understanding..

noway.light of the worlds is pretty much a dollar record. but still so so so good.
    besides being on some zombie in the night bizness....some eat to live fruitman steez and come on now dont even front that you dont like summer madness action. light of the worlds is the king.

as far as the universal funk records that balance essentialness and ease of finding them shits i gotta go with hot buttered soul (bassie...if you cant classify this as a funk record, your eyes are fuzz impervious) and superfly stk. no decent home is complete without them. any strutter without should be chastised/ridiculed/tarrednfuckinfeathered with the quickness

i haven't pulled this out in some time but it has to be another soulstrut funk staple.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Hot Buttered Soul and Superfly are Soul records. Funky not FUNK.

One Funk song on a Soul album doesnt make said album a FUNK LP.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    everyone should have kool and the gang-light of worlds
    probably my favorite koolnda gang

i walked (i walked and walked)
    like a zombie in the niiiiight

yeah light of worlds is great street corner symphony is my shiit

to my knowledge though live at the sex machine is more common, and from that particular period in time, id say the most common of their albums has to be love and understanding..

noway.light of the worlds is pretty much a dollar record. but still so so so good.
    besides being on some zombie in the night bizness....some eat to live fruitman steez and come on now dont even front that you dont like summer madness action. light of the worlds is the king.

as far as the universal funk records that balance essentialness and ease of finding them shits i gotta go with hot buttered soul (bassie...if you cant classify this as a funk record, your eyes are fuzz impervious) and superfly stk. no decent home is complete without them. any strutter without should be chastised/ridiculed/tarrednfuckinfeathered with the quickness

HBS or Superfly don't really turn up in Finland and I never found them in the field in decent shape in SF. Hell if I'm going to have to start checking for that stuff on ebay. I'd rather accept my tar and feathers please.

Superfly [is] a FUNK LP.

LOL!!! awesome.

they tell me that mandrill aint SHIT compared to

hey homie, i thought we settled this matter two years ago and MANDRILL won!!!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you don't have at least 5 records by each of James Brown, Sly, Curtis, and Parliament/Funkadelic...please never tell me about a raer again.

come on now jazzsucka...find me a couple nice common finn/swedo joints and i'll get some copies out to you stat

Superfly [is a] a FUNK LP.

i haven't pulled this out in some time but it has to be another soulstrut funk staple.

helllllllllll yes.
    right next to Theres a riot going on

sly fam stone > mandrill > war

come on now jazzsucka...find me a couple nice common finn/swedo joints and i'll get some copies out to you stat

you got that titti break?

i got doubles, but that shit is nice

pretty sure every beginner Timmy Diggalot starts out with doubles of the Sly and the Family Stone greatest hits LP. saying $hit like; "Sing a Simple song got braeks dudes"...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Superfly [is] a FUNK LP.

Little Child Runnin Wild - funky Soul
    Pusherman - Funk
    Freddie's Dead - funk Soul
    Junkie Chase - instrumental
    Give me Your Love - soul
    Eddie U should know better - Soul
    No Thing On Me - Soul
    Think - Instrumental/Soul
    Superfly - Funk

not sure if people are still holding on to their new births, if so, this would maybe be in the top 10 ?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    hot buttered soul (bassie...if you cant classify this as a funk record, your eyes are fuzz impervious)

Triple, if you classify Hot Buttered Soul as a funk record, it ain't your eyes that have a problem.
    I'll sooner concede to pigs flying than HBS being a funk record.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

But this isn't a.....oh never mind.

Superfly [is] a FUNK LP.
    Little Child Runnin Wild - funky Soul

Pusherman - Funk

Freddie's Dead - Funk

Junkie Chase - instrumental counterpoint funk

Give me Your Love - most definitely funk ballad

Eddie U should know better - i am not sure how to classify this song but its not pure soul (there are some latin things going on in there as well)

No Thing On Me - Soul (although he chants "sure is funky" a few times)

Think - Instrumental/Soul

Superfly - Funk

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

hot buttered soul (bassie...if you cant classify this as a funk record, your eyes are fuzz impervious)

Triple, if you classify Hot Buttered Soul as a funk record, it ain't your eyes that have a problem.
    I'll sooner concede to pigs flying than HBS being a funk record.

meh. at the very least, along with the growing superfly back and forth, we found something to argue about. the hallmark of a good soulstrut thread