Where's the latest Israel/Palestine 74-page rager?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    In this case, 2 wrongs make a war slaughter.

Seriosuly, one of the world's most well-equipped armies versus scavengers with their backs already pinned up against the wall does not make a war.

Pretty much - through their raid are they not guaranteeing the indoctrination of the next generation of Hamas recruits? I'm going to guess that they aren't swaying Palestinians to the other side with this display.

I'm starting to wonder if the Israeli state really wants to destroy Hamas. Without Hamas they wouldn't have any justification for their giant war machine. Or the constant brutal oppression of Palestinians.

Utterly bizarro logic.

Not really...and closer to the truth that many of y'all in here will ever allow yourselves to get.

It's true. I neglected to put on my tin foil cap long ago. Now I'm a lost cause. My brain has been fried by chemtrails and I definitely can't grasp that special knowledge that you and the other select hold dear. Please don't pitty me; it's my own fault.

Yes, I do blame you for your own statements.

Go figure.

• Unfortunately for the Palestinians, that's what happens when you (re)start a conflict with the regional superpower.

I'm not saying they don't have a right - or that they do. I'm pretty much sick of the whole damn thing and if Israel and Hamas want to wipe each other off the face of the map, then good for them. But the phrase "don't start none, won't be none" applies.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Seriosuly, one of the world's most well-equipped armies versus scavengers with their backs already pinned up against the wall does not make a war.

I would think that any rational group who had their backs to the wall would accept an invite to recent peace accords and stop shooting rockets into Goliath's back yard knowing that certain "slaughter" would be the outcome.

Unfortunately for the Palestinians, that's what happens when you (re)start a conflict with the regional superpower.

I'm not saying they don't have a right - or that they do. I'm pretty much sick of the whole damn thing and if Israel and Hamas want to wipe each other off the face of the map, then good for them. But the phrase "don't start none, won't be none" applies.

For the naive and biased...apparently yes, it does.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Not really...and closer to the truth that many of y'all in here will ever allow yourselves to get.

It's true. I neglected to put on my tin foil cap long ago. Now I'm a lost cause. My brain has been fried by chemtrails and I definitely can't grasp that special knowledge that you and the other select hold dear. Please don't pitty me; it's my own fault.

Yes, I do blame you for your own statements.

Go figure.

Dude, preach the gospel! Maybe it's not too late for me. Help me understand what's what in the world. I'd like to avoid embarrassing myself in your eyes in the future.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Hamas can never be destroyed as long as the completely illegal and utterly brutal occupation continues. If I were a hopeless young Palestinian I'd probably join Hamas and try to destroy Israel. And you would, too.

When firing rockets from areas filled with children and civilians, you don't think the Palestinians have any responsibility when Israel responds overwhelmingly?

Should Israel continue trying to negotiate with people whose stated goal is simply to destroy them? Or should they just dismantle their entire society and democracy because Palestinians were kicked off the land more recently then the Jews were?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I don't necessarily agree that HAMAS=IRAN. Obviously the ties are there and it suits Iran's agenda for the Israelis and Palestinians to remain at war but Hamas is not simply a proxy. It is foolishness on our part to throw them into the mix with Al-Qaeda who has a totally different agenda for the Arab world.

It is deeply regrettable that innocents are being killed in this conflict but it will continue on both sides until the political impasse is overcome. I wonder what the world would look like today it Arafat had signed an agreement in 2000.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Yeah, like that's never happened before.

• If you're calling me naive and biased then, cool. I think you have me confused with someone who gives a F*ck.

Hamas is not a government. They prey on the desperate, the downtrodden, the hopeless so they can keep up their "resistance" that serves their people not one bit but does indeed keep them in business.

Hey weren't you saying that GEORGIA deserved what it got from Russia when they started a conflict they had no hope of winning?

• Go Israel!

wow

That's it....no semi-witty quip where you make up a quote and attributte it to me?

Wow.

[rockadelic]i'm mad[/rockadelic]

there you go.

Mad that some little snot nosed punk can't take my name out of his mouth.....hardly.

I think you're taking this and that poast serious. Don't.

I would think that any rational group who had their backs to the wall would accept an invite to recent peace accords and stop shooting rockets into Goliath's back yard knowing that certain "slaughter" would be the outcome.

Yeah, it's that simple. After getting shafted after shafted after shafted, if only the losers would just peacefully accept the scraps the victor chooses to leave under the table for them. Because of course there's just that level of trust and companionship established.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I just heard a Hamas spokesman on the news

apparently the rocket attacks are the fault of 'Israeli collaborators' acting on orders to provide an excuse for war

if the situation wasn't so sad, that would almost be funny

• In this case, 2 wrongs make a war slaughter.

Yeah, it's that simple. After getting shafted after shafted after shafted, if only the losers would just peacefully accept the scraps the victor chooses to leave under the table for them. Because of course there's just that level of trust and companionship established.

Well then, they can die fighting and rest assured that they will receive like 15 virgins and berries and honey and shit in heaven.

I mean, like I said - they have a right to fight. But the problem with war is, those bombs and bullets do sting a bit.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So Button: was this everything you hoped for?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Saying - there's something perverse about wanting to see a bunch of people tackle this debate like it was jawing over Tribe Called Quest albums.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

"I will play music and celebrate what the Israeli air force is doing." Ofer Shmerling, an Israeli civil defence official, on Al-Jazeera, Saturday.

Israel says it is acting in "retaliation" for rockets fired with increasing intensity ever since a six-month truce expired on 19 December. But the bombs dropped on Gaza are only a variation in Israel's method of killing Palestinians. In recent months they died mostly silent deaths, the elderly and sick especially, deprived of food, cancer treatments and other medicines by an Israeli blockade that targeted 1.5 million people - mostly refugees and children - caged into the Gaza Strip. The orders of Ehud Barak, the Israeli defence minister, to hold back medicine were just as lethal and illegal as those to send in the warplanes.

Ehud Olmert, Israel's prime minister, pleaded that Israel wanted "quiet" - a continuation of the truce - while Hamas chose "terror", forcing him to act. But what is Israel's idea of a truce? It is very simple: Palestinians have the right to remain silent while Israel starves them, kills them and continues to violently colonise their land.

As John Ging, the head of operations for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees, said in November: "The people of Gaza did not benefit; they did not have any restoration of a dignified existence ... at the UN, our supplies were also restricted during the period of the ceasefire, to the point where we were left in a very vulnerable and precarious position and with a few days of closure we ran out of food."

That is an Israeli truce. Any act of resistance including the peaceful protests against the apartheid wall in the West Bank is always met by Israeli bullets and bombs. There are no rockets launched at Israel from the West Bank, and yet Israel's extrajudicial killings, land theft, settler pogroms and kidnappings never stopped for a day during the truce. The western-backed Palestinian Authority of Mahmoud Abbas has acceded to all Israel's demands. Under the proud eye of United States military advisors, Abbas has assembled "security forces" to fight the resistance on Israel's behalf. None of that has spared a single Palestinian in the West Bank from Israel's relentless colonisation.

written by Ali Abunimah, a Palestinian American. taken form here,

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

Hamas is not a government. They prey on the desperate, the downtrodden, the hopeless so they can keep up their "resistance" that serves their people not one bit but does indeed keep them in business.

Israel is not a government. It is a religion. The same can be said of them.

It is not a war when all the dead are on one side.

• Hamas is not a government. They prey on the desperate, the downtrodden, the hopeless so they can keep up their "resistance" that serves their people not one bit but does indeed keep them in business.

Israel is not a government. It is a religion. The same can be said of them.

Judaism is a religion. Israel is a nation. Jews live in Israel (as do non-Jews). The state religion of Israel is Judaism.

The western-backed Palestinian Authority of Mahmoud Abbas has acceded to all Israel's demands.

Like everything else, it's a question of perspective and agenda. Your say Abbas acceded to the Israelis, I say he adopted a pragmatism that's brought a measure of stability and wellbeing to his teritory.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Thanks for the lesson, now can you explain which nations torture and murder people because a mystical spirit tells them to? I believe Zionism has something to do with it but I'm not sure.

I am talking about a specific, small group of people of many faiths. The generalization above was a sarcastic reference to your post which I emphasize now due to the sensitive subject.

It is my opinion that there is absolutely no justification for many actions of the state of Israel, and I sympathize with the innocent Palestinian people, victims of a racist Israeli government.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

Saying - there's something perverse about wanting to see a bunch of people tackle this debate like it was jawing over Tribe Called Quest albums.

I think its funny that you view threads like this as actual "debates" being "tackled" like some major, 'strut-sponsored foreign policy summit. I happen to find threads like this both illuminating as well as entertaining in their own way. That being said, this is really just a bunch of dorky guys screaming into a void, if you weren't aware.

Now if you're implying that I'm as dismissive of the actual life and death crisis happening halfway across the globe as I am of Soulstrut political fallout, then I don't know what to tell you. I can keep two ideas in my head at once I guess.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thanks for the lesson, now can you explain which nations torture and murder people because a mystical spirit tells them to? I believe Zionism has something to do with it but I'm not sure.

I am talking about a specific, small group of people of many faiths. The generalization above was a sarcastic reference to your post which I emphasize now due to the sensitive subject.

It is my opinion that there is absolutely no justification for many actions of the state of Israel, and I sympathize with the innocent Palestinian people, victims of a racist Israeli government.

Article 7 of the HC states the following: "The Day of Judgement will not come about until "A's" fight the "B's" (killing the "B's"), when the "B's" will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say "A's", there is a "B" behind me, come and kill him.

innocent Palestinian people

That's right, the Palestinians are pure innocence--no taint of original sin on them. They're this homogeneous group of cute scavengers (to use Harvey's term), so simple and pure as to be without any agency at all. Shit happens in the world, but the Palestinians, bless them, just passively sit around and marvel at the beauty of the night sky.

Thank goodness there are bright-eyed university students and disgruntled newspapaer columnists and other such people around the world to advocate on behalf of these simple creatures.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

And this is why we need Israel. To protect us from Meshuggeners.

• Thanks for the lesson, now can you explain which nations torture and murder people because a mystical spirit tells them to? I believe Zionism has something to do with it but I'm not sure.

And this is why we need Israel. To protect us from Meshuggeners.

LOL! and what about the facotka? Definitely need to ward off this facotka people!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Harvey, did Arafat do the right thing by not signing in 2000? Or, put differently, what is your acceptable negotiated peace between these two groups?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

That's right, the Palestinians are pure innocence--no taint of original sin on them. They're this homogeneous group of cute scavengers (to use Harvey's term), so simple and pure as to be without any agency at all. Shit happens in the world, but the Palestinians, bless them, just passively sit around and marvel at the beauty of the night sky.

Thank goodness there are bright-eyed university students and disgruntled newspapaer columnists and other such people around the world to advocate on behalf of these simple creatures.

Exhibit 1:

Racism

• It is my opinion that there is absolutely no justification for many actions of the state of Israel, and I sympathize with the innocent Palestinian people, victims of a racist Israeli government.

Well, that's one way of looking at it. IMO that's a gross oversimplification of an incredibly old and complex conflict... but you know, opinions are like assholes etc. There are innocents, but the war is being waged by the leaders on BOTH sides long since it wore out any benefit to their constituents.

It's a bit hard to read the sarcasm in your above post - it's close to things people say all the time.