Does the hood ride for Whole Foods?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    they call that "gentrification" out here

no shit, but realize that colonial is hundreds of years old. So is that proto-gentrification?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

anyways, i take it back about leimert park. theres mansions and shit right there man!

And of course the people who live in those mansions walk their poodles right there in Leimert Park ater dark on the regular.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    no they dont. but if you are assuming theyre white then you are mistaken.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    near the williamsburg & brooklyn bridge[/b].

not the hood. deep brooklyn is the hood.

no shit, but realize that colonial is hundreds of years old. So is that proto-gentrification?

huh? that newly constructed house doesnt even look 100 days old. what are you talking about?

no they dont. but if you are assuming theyre white then you are mistaken.

No, I'm assuming Magic Johnson lives there.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cut the intellectual crap. When someone says "the Hood" on Soul Strut in NYC[/b] they mean any neighborhood near the williamsburg & brooklyn bridge[/b]. Dont try to broaden that shit.

batmon gets a pass on this one though.

who are you again

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Texas definition:

Hood = where black (and Latino) people live.

Ghetto = where crack is sold on every corner.

So the Latino folks are relegated to parenthetical status?

Whatever...the term hood comes first and foremost from the local black experience.

It pertains to others nowadays, but I for one come from a place (New Orleans) that truly had/has plenty of all-black hoods.

So I have no qualms keeping the term as close to its original meaning as possible.

Neither do I, really. But if I didn't say it in a joking way, someone else would say it and mean it. I think of it as a pre-emptive tactical comedic strike against unnecessary earnestness.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    near the williamsburg & brooklyn bridge[/b].

not the hood. deep brooklyn is the hood.

well the OG artists who brought the hipster virus there lived off of the Local Latino Exp...cuchifritos/etc.

huh? that newly constructed house doesnt even look 100 days old. what are you talking about?

dude, operative word: Colonial!

Next to the prefab yuppie deathtrap.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    First time I shopped at a Whole Foods I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the shoppers looked sickly.....at first I thought it was ironic....then I realized that a lot of people find out that they are sick and THEN decide to start eating healthy.

Yeah, not to thread hijack, but Kaua'i is a world center for new age "healing". You can't swing a dead cat out here without hitting a crystal therapist or noni juice pusher. And 90% of the people in that scene are really, really messed up. Same deal I guess.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    UBER-HOOD

UBER-HOOD

Where April 15th is just another dia.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Cut the intellectual crap. When someone says "the Hood" on Soul Strut in NYC[/b] they mean any neighborhood near the williamsburg & brooklyn bridge[/b]. Dont try to broaden that shit.

batmon gets a pass on this one though.

who are you again

the gaffler, the one people like min say "that's some never forgive action" about.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Batmon, is right 90% of the register folks at whole foods are from 'the hood'. I worked at whole foods for a couple years and I was in the other 10%. They do offer good benefits and compensation compared to the other grocery store I worked at.

We used to have this african bush doctor type dude who would sit outside the store chanting and buring sage in his car listening to these load drum circle tapes for 20+ minutes before coming in the store. Then he would come in smelling like he took a shower in essential oils. One day he was paying in the line next to mine and he told the checker that she should rise up and overcome the white devils and looked right at me. I was like, "actually she is my supervisor", and he left in a huff.

Now I do live in the hood and there are no whole foods stores anywhere close to us. I have to go to three Frickin' stores just to get some decent produce. I don't know about the hood but I ride for whole foods.

• So...

Barrio = where latino (and black) people live?

So...

And gated community = where white (and no Black or Latino) people live?

Batmon, is right 90% of the register folks at whole foods are from 'the hood'.

ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE AT EITHER OF THE 2 AUSTIN LOCATIONS.

So...

Barrio = where futbol is played.

So...

Strictly the private mind hood of angry white men.

dude, operative word: Colonial!

Next to the prefab yuppie deathtrap.

ha! oh ok. its called revisionist gentrification!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Sorry, I was speaking on Philly, but as this is a Texas thread now I will step out.

Sorry, I was speaking on Philly, but as this is a Texas thread now I will step out.

Not even like that...

And Austin is something of an anomaly compared to the rest of Texas...

That said, play on playa.

and i was talmbout NYC.

Regardless, its nice to have the Whole Foods option on top of the various styles of food spots.

The Bronx's HuntsPoint is the future.

So...

Strictly the private mind hood of angry white men.

But does the gated community ride for Whole Foods? Or more specifically, do they make their hired help ride to Whole Foods for them?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I'm gonna save up a bunch of money so I can move to the hood. Hopefully wholefoods will be there by then.

• nessness 249 Posts
    But does the gated community ride for Whole Foods? Or more specifically, do they make their hired help ride to Whole Foods for them?

they sign up for that health food delivery service.

And Austin, thanks to things like Whole Foods making it its policy to hire folks from the hood everywhere but in its 2 Austin locations, is appears[/b] to be something of an anomaly compared to the rest of Texas...

And I say that because although Austin pretty much has the same population as the rest of Texas, it does a fine job of hiding those that the chamber of commerce deems as less desirable from those who visit.

I'm gonna save up a bunch of money so I can move to the hood. Hopefully wholefoods will be there by then.

I met this shortie who just got a decent condo in The Bronx in a shakey part not too far from me. She said she plans on hittin up all the community meeting/etc. to try and get a Whol Foods in HER hood.

First of all there is no subway around that area and it is still kinda funky round there beside the new cheaply fabricated buildings.
    I really cant fuck w/ this sistas mentality. Trying to bring Manhattan shit to the hood.
    If Whole Foods even thinks about building in The Bronx its gonna be in Riverdale or in an up and coming hood like Yankee Stadium area. Not Fort Apache you fuckin dummy. Its some real out of towner Sex in the City fabulous unrealistic thoughts.
    U cant really afford to buy in Manhattan so u think it should come to u. Go to Brooklyn for that shit.