Does the hood ride for Whole Foods?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    FAIRWAYS IS WHATS HOOD UPTOWN.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    yes but its not Tesco

http://www.freshandeasy.com/

Dude I ride for Fresh and Easy. Highland Parks healthiest option. It's a whole lot better than that Double Savers or Food 4 Less we have here.

I remember busting up in laughter when I was listening to NPR a few months ago and they had a story about Prince Andrew in Compton to open up one of the markets.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

2)90% of the cats who work the registers at ANY[/b] locations are from the Hood.
    9) Farmers Markets > all that shit.

The farmer's market outside the Breakfast Klub http://www.thebreakfastklub.com/ is basically mostly cats from the rural hoods here making a few extra bucks alongside the staple hippie types...

When will the stereotyping of the hood end?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    british based company Tesco opened a handful of whole foods-esque type grocery stores in "THA_HOOD" out here but they are all failing miserably.

I thought only Fast Food was available in "THA_HOOD"....this is a real revelation.

I think there's a smidge of sarcasm there, but the hood does ride for some health food. At least the headwrap/back to the ancestor types do.

Here in Houston, there's a couple of spots that rep for the G-body types.

While Harvey says that the hood doesn't ride for Whole Foods, he neglected to mention that the mecca for all things Project Blowed, The Good Life, is a health food cafe.

Catnip related?

I'd imagine it doesn't fit in with Harvey's idea of what the hood is supposed to be

file under: you ain't really buying records unless a black person is cooking you crawdads while you're digging

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    dude, have you seen the price of arugula at whole foods recently?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    The adjacent wine store is cool for some under 20 dollar steez, but that stricklty for delf[/b] or a party. STRIKE>Not/STRIKE> for the Fizzy[/b] Womantic evening steez.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

2)90% of the cats who work the registers at ANY[/b] locations are from the Hood.
    9) Farmers Markets > all that shit.

Community gardens are fantastic, too.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    community gardens rule!

out here, there is an organization dedicated to identifying edible plants on city property like parks and such and their aim is to educate people on these plants because it is completely legal to harvest the fruits if its on city land. i mean, you paid for it afterall!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    british based company Tesco opened a handful of whole foods-esque type grocery stores in "THA_HOOD" out here but they are all failing miserably.

I thought only Fast Food was available in "THA_HOOD"....this is a real revelation.

I think there's a smidge of sarcasm there, but the hood does ride for some health food. At least the headwrap/back to the ancestor types do.

Here in Houston, there's a couple of spots that rep for the G-body types.

While Harvey says that the hood doesn't ride for Whole Foods, he neglected to mention that the mecca for all things Project Blowed, The Good Life, is a health food cafe.

Catnip related?

I said the hood doesn't ride for Whole Foods. I didn't say the hood doesn't ride for healthy food.

I already mentioned Fiesta's produce section.

And one thing I really miss about Houston that we don't have up here in Austin is the presence of Jamaican (multi-purpose) grocery stores.

And just to continue to play along, there was a really good Jamaican restaurant back in the day...right next door to the Good Life Cafe.

And for good measure, the Good Life served a mean vegetarian burrito.

When will the stereotyping of the hood end?

When Elgin stops making hot links?

And one thing I really miss about Houston that we don't have up here in Austin is the presence of Jamaican (multi-purpose) grocery stores.

There aren't that many specifically Jamaican stores centrally located anymore, not since Fiesta and many African markets started carrying about %40 of the staples of the diet and the Jamaican community has moved more out to the suburbs rather than staying in the Fondren/W. Bellfort - Bissonett area. So you see stores popping up in places like Sugarland, Katy, etc. Baytown is basically little Trinidad right now.

I remember back in the late 80's/early 90's there being about 4 within walking distance of my old crib, now there's just one.

the jamaican restaurant is still there. ackee bamboo. friday is tilapia day. this is the day you will likely see me there. im almost positive that the good life cafe isnt there anymore. also, i wouldnt qualify leimert park as ghetto.

i wouldnt necessarily go so far to say that the hood "rides" for healthy food. the ghetto is still littered with a million and one tommies/tomys/tommy's/tommimay/tam's. and like i said, that tesco based fresh and easy is FAILING MISERABLY. especially in the dumpier parts of town.

There aren't that many specifically Jamaican stores centrally located anymore, not since Fiesta and many African markets started carrying about %40 of the staples of the diet and the Jamaican community has moved more out to the suburbs rather than staying in the Fondren/W. Bellfort - Bissonett area. So you see stores popping up in places like Sugarland, Katy, etc. Baytown is basically little Trinidad right now.

I remember back in the late 80's/early 90's there being about 4 within walking distance of my old crib, now there's just one.

Yeah, the section at Fiesta ain't bad.

But there's no juice bar.

Yeah, the section at Fiesta ain't bad.

But there's no juice bar.

Dude, don't get me started. I went to one of these new Jamaican cafes and all the juices were prefab out of some mix type shit. The soursop was about the most bland shit I had in my life.

also, i wouldnt qualify leimert park as ghetto.

Nah, it ain't ghetto. But it's definitely hood.

Which speaks to what Batmon and Cashless have been saying: All HOODS AIN'T GHETTO.

this sounds deliciously racist. please to explain the difference between "ghetto" and "hood"

.50 cent smoothies[/b] in the hood they gon crazy!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this sounds deliciously racist. please to explain the difference between "ghetto" and "hood"

Cut the intellectual crap. When someone says "the Hood" they dont mean any neighborhood. Dont try to broaden that shit.

Texas definition:

Hood = where black (and Latino) people live.

Ghetto = where crack is sold on every corner.

Texas definition:

this is what i was getting at. its just interesting because i work in a "hood" but couldnt quite define it. i mean, its not like projects and crackheads on the corner. let me rephrase that, its not like theres projects. and the homes on one side of the street are nice middle class family type spots. so i never knew how to qualify the neighborhood except that its kinda shitty and the health food is v8 and sunny delight at the corner store.

Cut the intellectual crap. When someone says "the Hood" on Soul Strut in NYC[/b] they mean any neighborhood near the williamsburg & brooklyn bridge[/b]. Dont try to broaden that shit.

batmon gets a pass on this one though.

From my local black experience..

Ghetto = streets and streets of these:

Hood = low to mid priced neighborhoods that contained former residents of above:

This townhome is in the same complex that I grew up in. $72K gets you three bedrooms and neighbors that will rob your shit while you're away at work.

Texas definition:

this is what i was getting at. its just interesting because i work in a "hood" but couldnt quite define it. i mean, its not like projects and crackheads on the corner. let me rephrase that, its not like theres projects. and the homes on one side of the street are nice middle class family type spots. so i never knew how to qualify the neighborhood except that its kinda shitty and the health food is v8 and sunny delight at the corner store.

Sunny Delight has pork in it.

Cut the intellectual crap. When someone says "the Hood" they dont mean any neighborhood. Dont try to broaden that shit.

huh? werent you one of the braniacs making a distinction between the two? i was just asking a simple question.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Texas definition:

So the Latino folks are relegated to parenthetical status?

Texas definition:

Sunny Delight has pork in it.

really? man i havent had that shit in ages. but they always got it on tap at the taquerias.

anyways, i take it back about leimert park. theres mansions and shit right there man!

My neighborhood has middle class hood homes, a non-hood townhome community, a very hood selection of section-8 duplexes, and an uber-hood assortment of apartment complexes, 100% occupied by brand-spanking new Latino immigrants.

My neighborhood also has a weed spot/garage barber shop...but no crack. You can just cross Cameron Road into the Jerns (St. John's) for that though...

Anyway, I love my neighborhood.

theres mansions and shit right there man!

You guys and your stupid city zoning laws. Houston is the largest city without zoning, so you can put the damnedest thing right next to the damnedest thing.

to get an idea...

And this is in the middle of one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city.

About 3 blocks away, you have this:

they call that "gentrification" out here

Texas definition:

So the Latino folks are relegated to parenthetical status?

Whatever...the term hood comes first and foremost from the local black experience.

It pertains to others nowadays, but I for one come from a place (New Orleans) that truly had/has plenty of all-black hoods.

So I have no qualms keeping the term as close to its original meaning as possible.