Does the hood ride for Whole Foods?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

AND WHAT ABOUT THE STREETS? How do the Streets feel about Whole Foods?

The streets aren't the hood, right? They are two completely different worlds, right..correct?

Saying the streets comes much closer to what the hood is than saying the ghetto, that's for sure.

But yeah, surely there are some hoods out there that aren't necessarily the streets...like some parts of Atlanta for instance.

yes yes...good good...tell me more.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    T.K.I.O., yo.

huh?

K.I.T.,

shig

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    on a similar note, do folks here bring bags along for their groceries?

I've kinda backslid on this one. When I lived at my old spot, it was within walking distance of the grocery store, and I didn't have a car anyway, so I would walk up there with a bag, fill it up, and walk home. It was really easy, plus the bag thing was a built-in defense against buying too much stuff.

Now, I don't live within walking distance of the grocery store, and I do have a car, so I make fewer trips to the store, but I buy more per trip. If I know I'm just getting a few things, I'll still bring the tote. Otherwise, I just have 'em use paper bags, then use the paper bags as trash bags (except for in the kitchen).

PS: I bypass Whole Foods for Andronico's when I'm on the upscale grocery store tip.

PS: I bypass Whole Foods for Andronico's when I'm on the upsale grocery store tip.

• AND WHAT ABOUT THE STREETS? How do the Streets feel about Whole Foods?

The streets aren't the hood, right? They are two completely different worlds, right..correct?

Saying the streets comes much closer to what the hood is than saying the ghetto, that's for sure.

But yeah, surely there are some hoods out there that aren't necessarily the streets...like some parts of Atlanta for instance.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

Can I be down with Barrio though? What if I take picture with all my black friends and walk around with them? (No not the actual black people, that would be weird....but with the picture).

• Also I read this on my IPHONE BUT it was at the Oakland Whole Foods.

^^^
    See shit like that really confuses me.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Don't any of your grocery stores have a pile of cardboard boxes that people can use instead of bags? Here a couple of chains offer that, otherwise they charge for every plastic bag you take. Really, they should just ban them entirely.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

Can I be down with Barrio though? What if I take picture with all my black friends and walk around with them? (No not the actual black people, that would be weird....but with the picture).

It would get stolen from you along with your lipstick and mascara holster.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

oh rashied. youse funny. I don't have any of that! c'mon now.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

PS: I bypass Whole Foods for Andronico's when I'm on the upsale grocery store tip.

Ain't nothing like fighting pish-posh Berkeleyites for the attention of the butcher at the meat counter.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

^^^ALREADY BIN STOLED^^^

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

Street Taxonomy in full effect.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

^^^ALREADY BIN STOLED^^^

Why would I not be welcome to hood? The Barrio is down for me. I mean, I have an Obama sticker on my car for christ sakes. I even sat front row at the Paul Mooney comdy show a few weeks ago.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

^^^ALREADY BIN STOLED^^^

Why would I not be welcome to hood? The Barrio is down for me. I mean, I have an Obama sticker on my car for christ sakes. I even sat front row at the Paul Mooney comdy show a few weeks ago.

Austin-wise...you seem like a trendy South Congress dude, through and through. Maybe you came up in Del Valle, but probably not...your mama figured out a way to get you zoned into Austin High...and now you deejay at the Beauty Bar.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ya'll freaking out about groceries. srsly.

um, we fight about cut pieces of plastic. at least here its about a fundamental human need.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You could walk in the Hood but wouldnt be hangin out ON the streets at 4AM.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

um, we fight about cut pieces of plastic. at least here its about a fundamental human need.

I guess as long as it is biodegradable and organic, then we's cool.

"YO! I got some dusty mint Quinoa at Whole Foods, dawg."

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD

It's...

PLACES
    YOU
    ARE
    NOT
    WELCOME

^^^ALREADY BIN STOLED^^^

Austin-wise...you seem like a trendy South Congress dude, through and through. Maybe you came up in Del Valle, but probably not...your mama figured out a way to get you zoned into Austin High...and now you deejay at the Beauty Bar.

Not brown enough.

Damn, I knew this thread was going to be a pandora's box of a situation that I woudn't want to look in.

Today is a very bad dia.

Quinoa

i was reprimanded at whole foods fairfax for pronouncing htis wrong.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    KEEEEEN-WAHHHHHHH

I have a co-worker who is a crackhead. That's right, he's an accountant but also a crackhead. Most of his good smoking days were spent in Philadelphia. His move to Austin was for him to clean up his act and get life right this time around. Well, he was doing alright there for a minute. But nowadays, after a night of drinking on 6th Street, he'll head over to 12th and Chicon to get rocked up. And by his own admission, he doesn't just dabble but goes on serious binges. I know this stuff because he sometimes tries to talk some of us into smoking with him..."it's better than a million orgasms at once" and such. Dude's kinda a dick to begin with, so I'm kinda halfway torn between caring about him getting so grimy again and not really giving a flying.

Anyway, point is that...I dunno, hanging out on the streets at 4am ain't that big a deal.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Seriously though, what's up with overall nutrition and food education in the hood? Are people still eating McDonald's value meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I have a co-worker who is a crackhead. That's right, he's an accountant but also a crackhead. Most of his good smoking days were spent in Philadelphia. His move to Austin was for him to clean up his act and get life right this time around. Well, he was doing alright there for a minute. But nowadays, after a night of drinking on 6th Street, he'll head over to 12th and Chicon to get rocked up. And by his own admission, he doesn't just dabble but goes on serious binges. I know this stuff because he sometimes tries to talk some of us into smoking with him..."it's better than a million orgasms at once" and such. Dude's kinda a dick to begin with, so I'm kinda halfway torn between caring about him getting so grimy again and not really giving a flying.

Anyway, point is that...I dunno, hanging out on the streets at 4am ain't that big a deal.

I don't how else to put it,

seriously you are a piece of shit and really should stop speaking on others and all the racist ideals you somehow consider to be ok to speak on. I never thought I'd see a white dude of your pseudo-intelligence try to tell a latino how he isn't ethnic enough to walk in your idea of a ghetto/ hood/ or whatever the fusk it is you think you have knowledge on and then finish it off with some homophobic references.

I'm so f.ucking glad I don't live in your judge by colors/ chemtrail/ lizard people mind garden.

Seriously though, what's up with overall nutrition and food education in the hood? Are people still eating McDonald's value meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

it is a huge problem. and i think its been shown here that a large part of the problem is availability.

seriously you are a piece of shit and really should stop speaking on others and all the racist ideals you somehow consider to be ok to speak on. I never thought I'd see a white dude of your pseudo-intelligence try to tell a latino how he isn't ethnic enough to walk in your idea of a ghetto/ hood/ or whatever the fusk it is you think you have knowledge on and then finish it off with some homophobic references.

I'm so f.ucking glad I don't live in your judge by colors/ chemtrail/ lizard people mind garden.

You really need a nature walk, dude.

Phonics and I are just friggin with each other.

I haven't even really said anything controversial in this thread.

As usual, you try way too hard to get all sensitive and asshurt.

And as usual, I laugh at you.

In other words, you are one of my hateurs and thus I OWN YOU.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

We used to have this african bush doctor type dude who would sit outside the store chanting and buring sage in his car listening to these load drum circle tapes for 20+ minutes before coming in the store. Then he would come in smelling like he took a shower in essential oils. One day he was paying in the line next to mine and he told the checker that she should rise up and overcome the white devils and looked right at me. I was like, "actually she is my supervisor", and he left in a huff.

^^^^

OH SHIT! DID FRANK RUN UP ON HIM FOR SOME RECORDS!?!!??!?!

No, Frank is a white devil too and would have only gotten his scorn and eygptian musk stank. Seriously though, when this dude payed in cash your whole register would smell like that shit for the rest of your shift.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

You really need a nature walk, dude.

Phonics and I are just friggin with each other.

I haven't even really said anything controversial in this thread.

As usual, you try way too hard to get all sensitive and asshurt.

And as usual, I laugh at you.

In other words, you are one of my hateurs and thus I OWN YOU.

would talking about owning another person make you more white or less white?

do you get more hood credibility in your mind garden for bragging about your close proximity to crackheads from your imaginary contemporaries?

Point blank you need to realize you aren't hood, you aren't from the ghetto, and you aren't "down" you are a goofy whiteboy accountant who lives in a college town with a college education, conspiracy theory beliefs (I'm guessing because reality is to hard for you to deal with) and tries hard to front like he understands a life he will never lead no matter how many times he brings it up on an internet message board.

the only thing you might be able offer sound advice on is quicken and recommendations on semi-talented R&B singers who live in a community near you but not quite where you are.

and with that I leave you to your fantasies

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Groceries, Black people, The Barrio, WTF is this thread about???