Does the hood ride for Whole Foods?

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    over-pricing, over-reaching, over-preaching and plastic bags.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    You could walk in the Hood but wouldnt be hangin out ON the streets at 4AM.

I have a co-worker who is a crackhead. That's right, he's an accountant but also a crackhead. Most of his good smoking days were spent in Philadelphia. His move to Austin was for him to clean up his act and get life right this time around. Well, he was doing alright there for a minute. But nowadays, after a night of drinking on 6th Street, he'll head over to 12th and Chicon to get rocked up. And by his own admission, he doesn't just dabble but goes on serious binges. I know this stuff because he sometimes tries to talk some of us into smoking with him..."it's better than a million orgasms at once" and such. Dude's kinda a dick to begin with, so I'm kinda halfway torn between caring about him getting so grimy again and not really giving a flying.

Anyway, point is that...I dunno, hanging out on the streets at 4am ain't that big a deal.

I don't how else to put it,

seriously you are a piece of shit and really should stop speaking on others and all the racist ideals you somehow consider to be ok to speak on. I never thought I'd see a white dude of your pseudo-intelligence try to tell a latino how he isn't ethnic enough to walk in your idea of a ghetto/ hood/ or whatever the fusk it is you think you have knowledge on and then finish it off with some homophobic references.

I'm so f.ucking glad I don't live in your judge by colors/ chemtrail/ lizard people mind garden.

You really need a nature walk, dude.

Phonics and I are just friggin with each other.

I haven't even really said anything controversial in this thread.

As usual, you try way too hard to get all sensitive and asshurt.

And as usual, I laugh at you.

In other words, you are one of my hateurs and thus I OWN YOU.

would talking about owning another person make you more white or less white?

do you get more hood credibility in your mind garden for bragging about your close proximity to crackheads from your imaginary contemporaries?

Point blank you need to realize you aren't hood, you aren't from the ghetto, and you aren't "down" you are a goofy whiteboy accountant who lives in a college town with a college education, conspiracy theory beliefs (I'm guessing because reality is to hard for you to deal with) and tries hard to front like he understands a life he will never lead no matter how many times he brings it up on an internet message board.

the only thing you might be able offer sound advice on is quicken and recommendations on semi-talented R&B singers who live in a community near you but not quite where you are.

and with that I leave you to your fantasies

Hey, Guzzo, you prove more and more with each word you post...

• Groceries, Black people, The Barrio, WTF is this thread about???

I didn't think this thread would go past a few poasts but I knew dudes would get in a tizzy

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Who but Guzzball is in a tizzy?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they're opening the first whole foods here in one of the richest neighborhoods on the island and i think opening a second one in one of the new 500k+ condo areas. it's cool if they fuck with the local farmers but i can't get down with the establishment completely.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Seriously though, what's up with overall nutrition and food education in the hood? Are people still eating McDonald's value meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Aint no different than the Fat Middle America.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

But yeah, I got that one-apple-a-day shit; try to fit in some fresh greens and proteins on lock, bro. Only eating when you feel hungry, buying what you would actually consume and drinking water... . Talmbout obscure hole in the wall greasy spoon shit and fast food is dope once in a while but keep that shit at a minimum, dude.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    I came into this topic looking for some info/discussions on organic foods and healthy eating and have been welcomed with posts about crack heads and the hood vs. the streets...anyway

I wish there was a whole foods where I live. The closest thing to me is a Food Basics (yes, that's what it's called) which sells green beans that look like crayons. I'm going to move in the next year or two and my main focus will be to find a location close to an organic grocery shoppe. People call me a health nut but I'd rather be a little careful than wind up with some crazy disease ten years from now...

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Only eating when you feel hungry

If you are active, this is one of the worst things do to (especially if you're a stoner).

I came into this topic looking for some info/discussions on organic foods and healthy eating and have been welcomed with posts about crack heads and the hood vs. the streets...anyway

"Does the Local Black/Latino Exp support Whole Foods?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was surprised to read earlier that someone said TJs is more $ than WF. That's not from what I've seen in either LA or SF. TJs is considerably more affordable. True, their produce section can't hang but that's what the farmer's market is for.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    This thread reminds me of that Kam song about having headaches & hypertension from eating pork. Neva Again is kinda slept on.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread reminds me of that Kam song about having headaches & hypertension from eating pork. Neva Again is kinda slept on.

Kam's whole career is kinda slept on.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    they're opening the first whole foods here in one of the richest neighborhoods on the island and i think opening a second one in one of the new 500k+ condo areas. it's cool if they fuck with the local farmers but i can't get down with the establishment completely.

fuck that. bring back stars. where's the second location?

$8 for a slice of dried ass pizza at their deli section?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i think the second one is supposed to be in ward. they haven't started building yet but that's what i heard. ward has become less and less desireable to go to in the past few years and i'm sure this won't help anything

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

i think the second one is supposed to be in ward. they haven't started building yet but that's what i heard. ward has become less and less desireable to go to in the past few years and i'm sure this won't help anything

so basically we can expect to see the down to earth in your hood close down in the next year.

dabraddahznolikeride

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

so basically we can expect to see the down to earth in your hood close down in the next year.

dabraddahznolikeride
    haha, pretty much. although if it gets rid of the UH hippies from california i'm all about it.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    whole foods, when hit at the right time, offers a square meal in samples.

i used to play ball at 10th and lombard, get all hungry, go to the whole foods on south street, drink for like ten minutes at the water fountain and go around to each sample station thrice (plus the olive bar)

tjoes is not dope for produce, but its great for staples and several gourmet items.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ya'll freaking out about groceries. srsly.

um, we fight about cut pieces of plastic. at least here its about a fundamental human need.

oh shit. that was pretty funny Shig.

• I'm interested to know if the streets/hood ride for it.

No. Those are...

... some real out of towner Sex in the City fabulous unrealistic thoughts.

In NY, as Batmon stated, Whole Foods is a good example of modern-day American segregation in action. The customers= 90% white. The workers 90%= not white. Most of the customers live in the immediate neighborhood ( Manhattan), most of the workers do not.

You see some whole foods bags in "the hood", though. They're mostly being carried by young gentrifiers _coincidentally_ getting off at your subway stop.

That logo on a beige bag in your area= harbinger of imminent black people removal.

I'm interested to know if the streets/hood ride for it.

No. Those are...

... some real out of towner Sex in the City fabulous unrealistic thoughts.

In NY, as Batmon stated, Whole Foods is a good example of modern-day American segregation in action. The customers= 90% white. The workers 90%= not white. Most of the customers live in the immediate neighborhood ( Manhattan), most of the workers do not.

You see some whole foods bags in "the hood", though. They're mostly being carried by young gentrifiers _coincidentally_ getting off at your subway stop.

That logo on a beige bag in your area= harbinger of imminent black people removal.

Well, please dont take that quote out of context. I was refering to the Sista I met who wanted to bring a Whole Foods to an area in The Bronx that wasnt even close to being gentrified.

Im from the "hood" and i shop there on a every once in a while, and I even see some Black folks in my building lug their bags home,but overall, u'd reallly have to check the immediate hoods near the NYC Whole Foods to see the real.

There's a gang of projects near Lincoln Center which is in walkin distance to the Time Warner Whole Foods on Columbus Circle. All the college kids around there from the hood I know stop in a cop WF lunches. The Performing Atrs high school goes there as well. So yes the Hood might go, but its in no way the Magic Johnson Food Center.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Kam's whole career is kinda slept on.

• I ride neither for whole foods nor organic food in general. Seriously, why am I going to pay a premium for the priviledge of eating a product that has been spared two centuries of scientific progress? Pesticides, Fertilisers ect. are all good shit in my book. If yall want to eat like a feudal peasent then thats on you.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Good for you.

• i just came from grabbing some lunch at Whole Foods and they where selling the new kanye CD next to like the New Seal joint and other music I have no idea about.

• It's a shame these big mainland corporations be taking over our island. Down to earth= img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" 21 b, 21Kokua market is better!

• my bad i'm quoting my local natives brian and shitzr.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21It's a shame these big mainland corporations be taking over our island. Down to earth=
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/talib-doodoo.gif" alt="" 21
    b, 21Kokua market is better!
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21the local grocery stores have pretty much held their ground. shit, they outlasted safeways. but i see whole foods as a threat, being that they are more of a "specialty" grocery store, or whatever.b, 21b, 21so i see dte, kokua, and other stores like them go the way of:b, 21gibsonb, 21gemb, 21arakawab, 21emjaysb, 21pay n saveb, 21wigwam (yes, i'm that o.g.)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    umeke in kahala felt a hit when whole foods moved into kahala mall but they just opened a location in downtown so i don't know how bad it is overall for them. whole foods announced a few months ago that they were planning on a two story ward location but had to downsize it to a single story because of the economy img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/breakface.gif" alt="" 21

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21I ride neither for whole foods nor organic food in general. Seriously, why am I going to pay a premium for the priviledge of eating a product that has been spared two centuries of scientific progress? Pesticides, Fertilisers ect. are all good shit in my book. If yall want to eat like a feudal peasent then thats on you.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I just became convinced that Dolo is a Reynaldo alias.