Does the hood ride for Whole Foods?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm gonna save up a bunch of money so I can move to the hood. Hopefully wholefoods will be there by then.

I met this shortie who just got a decent condo in The Bronx in a shakey part not too far from me. She said she plans on hittin up all the community meeting/etc. to try and get a Whol Foods in HER hood.

HAHA! "Never mind how we're going to maintain school funding???there's a dangerous lack of Whole Foods outlets to contend with!"

• All these posts and no one's mentioned the WHOLE PAYCHECK nickname yet?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Trader Joe's is the truth.

Their check-out lines, not so much.

• Hot food is knockin', but the prices not so much. 2 pieces of chicken and shepherd pie for $20?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im sure ive mentioned it here before but if you are hoodlivin in LA proper, the place you are tihnking of is called JONS. not only because its on some discount vons type shit, but the JONS cater to whatever neighborhood theyre in in los angeles. meaning that if theyre in east hollywood, there is a variety of middle eastern and russian products like tarragon soda and bulgarian feta. in lower ktown, their central american game is super spicy. i would have to say JONS for being a supermarket is one of the best ethnic markets in LA.

also, out of the mexican supermarkets, i like vallarta the best. i think they have the best delicioso meats

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Nope.

Not sure how consistent their pricing is city to city, but the one in Toronto is unbelievably overpriced. It is in a high-end mall, so I'm not sure if the location is dictating the prices or the other way around.

Whole Foods in Toronto is equivalent to Dean & Deluca, it's outrageously expensive. In the States, it's more in the upper middle class bracket, certainly cheaper than the Toronto location. For a Toronto comparison, I would use something like Longo's.

NYC grocery situation ranks relatively low compared to other major cities I've shopped in. I'm basing it on both quality/freshness & value.

Personally, I shop mostly in Chinese & Korean markets, with the odd supplement of Fiesta Farms and farmer's markets.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

the wine selection is the only reason I'd stop there - 2 buck chuck is swill though

frankly Trader Joes employees scare me, they have some sort of cult indoctrination mentality thing going on; yes I'm fine, yes it's a nice day, yes I found everything I was looking for, yes I've tried that before, you have a nice day too

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    also, out of the mexican supermarkets, i like vallarta the best. i think they have the best delicioso meats

wheres vallarta at? Highland park got so many mexican supermarkets that I've started giving people directios to my house sing them as landmarks to make rights and lefts at.

Jons is some low budget supermarket happiness in a pinch.

Back on something that kind of connects to the original topic. Dudes in here were saying how impossible it is to eat healthy in the hood (or ghetto or whereever Harvey likes to call it). now dudes are talking about how may health food options there are in those areas? Why was this not spoken about in those other threads?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Longo's.

The Stepford Wife of grocery stores - no apple out of place!
    I think they have floor staff just to polish grapes.

And then there's Pusateri's...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

it's a place for white people to congregate w/ other white people.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    on a similar note, do folks here bring bags along for their groceries?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

the wine selection is the only reason I'd stop there - 2 buck chuck is swill though

frankly Trader Joes employees scare me, they have some sort of cult indoctrination mentality thing going on; yes I'm fine, yes it's a nice day, yes I found everything I was looking for, yes I've tried that before, you have a nice day too

haha. True.

But you can't front on the accessibility of their prices and quality. For simple shit like pasta and wine.

i used to rock one of them grandma rollie basket thingies in sf. got all my groceries from the chinese vendors cuz that shit is how they say THE_TRUTH.

I have one of these at home, but since I walk past the Stop and Shop on the way home from work, I usually just stop in then. It doesn't get as much use as it should.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

yes its a must on my part. I can't handle all those little plastic bags anymore. Just the thought irritates me on how much we use. Im glad Whole Foods is looking into stop using plastic bags.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This has been a serious question for me.

I ususally stop by the markets after work, so luggin around a canvas tote just for some Cranberry juice and Oj aint happinin'.

And one Canvas tote isnt gonna hold all my shit whe, i do go bulk shopping at Fairways. I easily have 4/5 bags of various stuff.

I still utilize the plastic for bottles and certan garbage.

I would like a Soulstrut canvas tote to hold some vinyl and switch over to food.

it's a place for white people to congregate w/ other white people.

...as cops direct traffic into the parking lot.

an in-law is a dedicated shopper and calls it Pussi's - we didn't know what the hell she was taking about at first - it was awkward.

I would like a Soulstrut canvas tote to hold some vinyl and switch over to food.

That would be pretty

It would probably kill my haggling at the flea market game though. "I can do $10." "Are you fucking serious? Your fancy little tote bag says you can do $20. Take it or leave it."

• Man this quest has now created more questions than answers.

I'm going to have to read this one over a few more times to really grasp what is being dropped. I mean looking at the big picture, if soulstrut can't give me a real-deal answer on local HOOD experiences then what's to say what's real and what isn't real anymore?

I mean all this click-clack about the hood and now these things called the "ghetto" and[/b] the barrio has really left me in the state of shock.

AND WHAT ABOUT THE STREETS? How do the Streets feel about Whole Foods?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

there will be no soul strut purse if i had my say.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• We used to have this african bush doctor type dude who would sit outside the store chanting and buring sage in his car listening to these load drum circle tapes for 20+ minutes before coming in the store. Then he would come in smelling like he took a shower in essential oils. One day he was paying in the line next to mine and he told the checker that she should rise up and overcome the white devils and looked right at me. I was like, "actually she is my supervisor", and he left in a huff.

^^^^

OH SHIT! DID FRANK RUN UP ON HIM FOR SOME RECORDS!?!!??!?!

Yes, always. And I keep extra ones at work and Man keeps extras in the car for unexpected shopping trips. Even in the store - why do you need to put every damn thing in a plastic bag? Greens and certain fruit, I understand, but why do bananas have to go in a plastic bag? Or apples?

Even for clothes shopping, if it's small enough - I ask for it to be wrapped in tissue and just put that in my bag.

The difference is totally noticeable - we used to have one cupboard just full of them and now we have one of those Ikea plastic bag dispensers with the holes along the sides only half-full.

• scurlscurl 75 Posts

Mom&Pops view Whole Foods as the Wal-Mart of health food.

• AND WHAT ABOUT THE STREETS? How do the Streets feel about Whole Foods?

The streets aren't the hood, right? They are two completely different worlds, right..correct?

can i ask why you needed to know so badly?

• what do you mean "why" ? WTF DUDE!!! Fuck outta here with that....

T.K.I.O., yo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

The streets aren't the hood, right? They are two completely different worlds, right..correct?

Saying the streets comes much closer to what the hood is than saying the ghetto, that's for sure.

But yeah, surely there are some hoods out there that aren't necessarily the streets...like some parts of Atlanta for instance.

• AND WHAT ABOUT THE STREETS? How do the Streets feel about Whole Foods?

Saying the streets comes much closer to what the hood is than saying the ghetto, that's for sure.

But yeah, surely there are some hoods out there that aren't necessarily the streets...like some parts of Atlanta for instance.

yes yes...good good...tell me more.

So it's like this:

STREETS
    HOOD
    GHETTO

or is it like this?

STREETS
    GHETTO
    HOOD