Does the hood ride for Whole Foods?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
REAL TALK.I'm interested to know if the streets/hood ride for it. Actually, fuck interested, I need[/b] to know. So Soulstrut spill the beans (soy, edamame, etc..)

Comments

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Uh, It might cost a bit more then your local safeway but you get what you pay for. Not only do I find myself shopping there regularly, I even bought a pair of CROCS!!!! Lol. I'm serious. Strictly house shoes though. However, yeah man WHOLE FOODS is the truth.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    And their store brand, 365, is pretty damned inexpensive. Organix on the cheap.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    it's there for hard to obtain ingredients, and other "fresh" nick-nacks.

but seriously, you don't need everything to say "organic" in your kitchen. plus it's a nightmare pushing past all these mid 40's people who have rediscovered their health.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    LMAO at the branding of good old fashioned food.

Seriously, is it that hard to buy healthy food over there?

and major co-signage on the annoyance of the word 'organic' on everybloodything.

well, buying "healthy" food out here really depends on your location. i've been places in the states where the only thing they have in the grocery store is hot dogs, bagged cereals and old ass produce. both coasts have a nice amount of diversity to where you're not just confined to 1 grocer. but the rest of the states, ej. the midwest, and the south (excluding TX, and FL) i could see myself frequenting a whole foods more often than usual. but also nowadays a lot of the grocery stores like giant and safeway are offering a wider range of "organic" products much like sainsburry's does.

but on the real. i don't eat meat and haven't for almost 10 years, and i really just shake my head at these people in whole foods who rack up a $250 bill on like half a carts worth of stupid schitt like organic pepper seeds, and $5 apples. but then they got all this pig meat, and since it's "organic" or whatever you call the meat, it's good for you! does it really matter? you can still eat "healthy" and save the loot too. but i guess it doesn't matter to most those people because they'll just spend that money on another magnet for the back of their yukon.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    LMAO at the branding of good old fashioned food.

Seriously, is it that hard to buy healthy food over there?

and major co-signage on the annoyance of the word 'organic' on everybloodything.

organic processed foods are still for the most part unhealthy

keep in mind that whole foods stocks (and charges hi) for a lot of conventional produce, which is from the same source as your local supermarket.

that being said, i like whole foods.
    from my experience "the hood" is probably leaning harder toward trader joes. but day in aday out, they are going to the murrays down the block or the nearest corner store or bulletproof chinese food.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The hood rides for Trader Joes!

from my experience "the hood" is probably leaning harder toward trader joes. but day in aday out, they are going to the murrays down the block or the nearest corner store or bulletproof chinese food.

trader joe's = a nightmare, especially[/b] the one in foggy bottom. not to mention it's more expensive than whole foods.

bulletproof gen tso's bean curd all day. can't stop...won't stop [uh-uh, uh-uh]

trader joe's = a nightmare, especially[/b] the one in foggy bottom. not to mention it's more expensive than whole foods.

damn, not around here. tj's is on point. a lot of parents of the kids i work with go there. there is still that misconception that you can get any product at whole foods or trader joes and it will help you lose weight.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Nope.

Not sure how consistent their pricing is city to city, but the one in Toronto is unbelievably overpriced. It is in a high-end mall, so I'm not sure if the location is dictating the prices or the other way around.

Are Whole Foods basically everywhere or just in big cities in the States? I can understand if you live in a small town with no health food stores or organic grocers and they are your only choice. In Toronto there are so many small businesses with prices which are so much more reasonable and affordable - I think this is probably the case in most major cities. Whole Foods can piss-off in my book.

Anyway, if the hype is true, we're going to be paying $$$$ for all our food pretty soon.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    there are only two whole foods in dade county (one in aventura and another in coral gables, there is one being built in downtown)

place is cool though, other than the fact because of the color of my skin, customers always assume i work there. Cant a brown skinned man just actually be shopping there and not have to be working there, dont you see the shopping basket in my hand? Its typically older white folk with ny accents (snowbirds) who come to miami for the winter who always have to assume im working when im shopping.

but other than racial stereotype assumptions, i like the food bar, breads are good, and though prices are slightly higher, they arent terrible

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    trader joes is dope but terrible for produce

also, i will ride for the fine looking late 30, female professionals that shop there. easy place to go if you wanna catch one by talking her up with a date consisting of kayaking on the potomac.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The hood rides for Trader Joes!

Three buck Chuck.

Shit's the Night Train of the Volvo set.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    First time I shopped at a Whole Foods I couldn't help but notice that a lot of the shoppers looked sickly.....at first I thought it was ironic....then I realized that a lot of people find out that they are sick and THEN decide to start eating healthy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Austin is where Whole Foods got its start, it's where its flagship store is located...and HELL NO, it is not frequented by hood people AT ALL.

HEB and Fiesta though...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    british based company Tesco opened a handful of whole foods-esque type grocery stores in "THA_HOOD" out here but they are all failing miserably. i ride for simply wholesome in inglewood. not really a grocery store but they do have a pretty decent deli and veggie options. and some of the best jerk chicken patties ive ever had. plus you never have to push past 40year old pickled white chicks at simply wholesome. which is the bonus.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    My girl works there so we get a discount. Brings the price down to regular market prices.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    british based company Tesco opened a handful of whole foods-esque type grocery stores in "THA_HOOD" out here but they are all failing miserably.

I thought only Fast Food was available in "THA_HOOD"....this is a real revelation.

well, in all honesty they really ride the cusp of "THA_HOOD" with that tesco shit. i remember when they were gon open talking about bringing healthy choices to the ghetto but i think theres like maybe one in compton and the rest are in more or less gentrified neighborhoods like eagle rock and shit. its like they wouldve opened in the ghetto if they opened 15 years ago.

wait, LA got tesco's????

please to tell me they sell "white lightening" clear cider there and that knock off, tesco brand red bull that leaves a strong metallic aftertaste.

yes but its not Tesco

http://www.freshandeasy.com/

hahaa
    for real though
    produce trucks are the hood staple around philly. african run off the docks fruit. cheap. dollar bags of a lot of vegetables. but i just found out they pay their immigrant laborers $400 a week for 7 - 12 hour days. wack

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fiesta's produce section is slamming. All the plantains and mangoes you could ever want for closer to what they cost in the tropics. Try to get that same most essential fruit at Whole Foods and it'll cost you your sanity.

I do go to flagship Whole Foods for their fresh sushi though...

• the hood rides for the neighborhood co-ops cuz from my experience whole foods never seem to be located in the hood

• reskresk 391 Posts
    the hood rides for the neighborhood co-ops cuz from my experience whole foods never seem to be located in the hood

whole foods are located as far from the hoods as possible... so, i guess, no, the hood does NOT ride for whole foods

the only time i was really excited to go to a whole foods, was after getting out of holding at the south street detatchment in philly.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    1) Any of u live in the "hood"?
    2)90% of the cats who work the registers at all 3 NYC locations are from the Hood.
    3)I'm from the hood, but I cop way more shit at Fairways.
    4)I see small amounts of Hood peoples bring shit Uptown, but im sure the Hood Brooklyn kids take shit home from work.
    5)I cop shit like lemon thyme and strange IPA's from Whole Foods, but a never shop at bulk there.
    6) The lines are ususally ridiculous. Whereas Fairways on a Tuesday morning is a breeze.
    7) Trader Joes' is a fuckin Joke. The NYC one is too damn crowded and the variety is crapola. The adjacent wine store is cool for some under 20 dollar steez, but that stricklty for self or a party. Not for the Bobby Womantic evening steez.
    8) Whole Foods aint gonna build one right in the middle of the "hood" cause they know cats cant afford that shit and we dont salivate for "organic".
    9) Farmers Markets > all that shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the hood rides for the neighborhood co-ops cuz from my experience whole foods never seem to be located in the hood

whole foods are located as far from the hoods as possible... so, i guess, no, the hood does NOT ride for whole foods

The NYC Houston street joint is a stones throw away from the Loisada projects.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    british based company Tesco opened a handful of whole foods-esque type grocery stores in "THA_HOOD" out here but they are all failing miserably.

I thought only Fast Food was available in "THA_HOOD"....this is a real revelation.

I think there's a smidge of sarcasm there, but the hood does ride for some health food. At least the headwrap/back to the ancestor types do.

Here in Houston, there's a couple of spots that rep for the G-body types.

While Harvey says that the hood doesn't ride for Whole Foods, he neglected to mention that the mecca for all things Project Blowed, The Good Life, is a health food cafe.

Catnip related?