I went and saw A-Trak & Steve Aoki Last Night...

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Not really my bag but an old friend was in town from NYC to film the night.I don't know what I expected music wise...But the stuff they were playing was beyond awful.It was basicly straight up 90's rave style techno with a little Miami bass flavor,no vocals, no soul, just really generic, really crappy music.But the hipster crowd ate it up.Call me But I don't get it AT ALL.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I reviewed Steve Aoki's album recently, actually a mix CD type situation and some of the lyrics were:

I want ta buttfuck you in the alias
    I don't care if my name's not Aurelius
    Don't drip pon shame in the shalius
    Gobble goggle fump poo in trailus

Some of the music was alright, but is this the music for the "experimental generation"? Pfftt.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I reviewed Steve Aoki's album recently, actually a mix CD type situation and some of the lyrics were:

Some of the music was alright, but is this the music for the "experimental generation"? Pfftt.

Yikes!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Hahahaha this is excellent!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Not really my bag but an old friend was in town from NYC to film the night.
    I don't know what I expected music wise...
    But the stuff they were playing was beyond awful.
    It was basicly straight up 90's rave style techno with a little Miami bass flavor,
    no vocals, no soul, just really generic, really crappy music.
    But the hipster crowd ate it up.
    Call me

But I don't get it AT ALL.

i saw them a week ago... same thing... the music you describe was bassline and funky house (what they call it in the UK, despite it not being what we would think of as FUNKY house music here, more like electro)...

there ARE some decent tracks in the genre, but they were def. playing the lamest stuff... it seems like A-trak wants to get into playing this type of stuff, but he doesn't really know his way around it... but, yeah, i left after like half an hour-45 minutes...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    hmmmm guess I should be glad I didn't go see A-Trak in Toronto last week then...

That's nice, because I was sorta kicking myself for not going. Now I don't have to feel so bad.

• vhsvhs 18 Posts
    A train only plays for the post-art schooler coke sniffer Saved by the Bell color swatch crowd these days - good coin for sure.

A train only plays for the post-art schooler coke sniffer Saved by the Bell color swatch crowd these days - good coin for sure.

Zactly, couldn't have said it any better myself.
    It was a godamn American Apparel ad up in there.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    hmmmm guess I should be glad I didn't go see A-Trak in Toronto last week then...

That's nice, because I was sorta kicking myself for not going. Now I don't have to feel so bad.

I saw him with Mehdi and Catchdubs (both guys I really like) in MTL

A-Trak is from my old hood (NDG) and I remember him winning the DMCs and all that back in the day

I must on the color blind turquoise cokedoutcrew extravaganza and the crappy b-more remix of anything under the sun

Not a great performance at all and its a shame that this is the direction..."alternative" club music is heading

Hipsterific!

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ...i bet the only thing worth going there for is to pick up some freshmen girls.

alriiight - alriiiiiiight

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    What exactly is "alternative club music" ? please to explain?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

My way of refering to music played in a club but that is not guido territory. A-Trak shows are promoted throughout the indie circuit...thus not bad/commercial club music but more 'alternative' supposedly 'good' club music
    pitchforkingly hipsterationalised clurb music apologizm

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

check this out: http://www.promoonly.com/format_page.php?id_fp=9

Also, there's a lot of what I would call "alternative club" that is good, like stuff on the dfa label for example...

But the stuff the fools gold dudes spin is what a lot of dudes call blog house. Real bass heavy, glitchy stuff. Good examples are remixes by switch and sinden, boyz noize, or that track patrick 122 by oizo.. I don't like this stuff either

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I usually like a lot of the shit I hear A-Track spin, and while I agree that there's a LOT of bullshit Bmore out there, there's some really good stuff too, I like the Curtis Vodka stuff just to name one.

Usually he spins some Oizo, Medhi, Ed Banger type stuff and I can definitely get with that.

Also, there's a lot of what I would call "alternative club" that is good, like stuff on the dfa label for example...

I would have been stoked to hear more DFA style stuff, but seriously it's was all just
    shitty beats, no vocals, no re-edits, no mash-ups, nothing fun.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

straight up 90's rave style techno with a little Miami bass flavor,
    no vocals, no soul, just really generic, really crappy music.
    But the hipster crowd ate it up.
    Call me

But I don't get it AT ALL.

I had the same reaction to A-trak's "Dirty South Dance" cd.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Blog House is a hilairiously accurate term

As daze said, i can get down with the mehdi (love his recent album) and some of ed banger and I respect people on the fools gold label

but there is good and bad type of this music and unfortunately the crowd's eat everything up

I recall he did more mashups but it was like C.R.E.A.M/B-more, rince repeat so I was not feeling it

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    switch is great, everybody biting switch is not (which is pretty much everyone).

Ahh i understand. That ed banger stuff gets some play here as does baltimore. Its usually at the hipster electro rock nites though.
    I keep hearing about bassline music .The term gets thrown around a lot here ie this is bassline house ect. It all seems to be bass driven minimal house/tech stuff. Why do people feel the need to make up new genres of music all the time?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I keep hearing about bassline music .The term gets thrown around a lot here ie this is bassline house ect. It all seems to be bass driven minimal house/tech stuff. Why do people feel the need to make up new genres of music all the time?

Well sometimes different sounds do need different names. I certainly wouldn't say that bassline was particularly close to either of the genres you mentioned - more like speed garage really. I think they only changed the name so it wouldn't be seen as a throwback to speed garage. Some are trying to call it funky, which is a pretty lame name I think.

A good article here - http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2008/03/funky-seduction.html

and http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2007/12/wot-do-u-call-it-funky.html

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Yea, mashing up eurotrance or crappy techno with rap music seems to be on its way up right now. I think people want to just have huge ass beats or something and they are realizing that what they hated about rave music was actually what they were looking for aesthetically currently.

I can definately get down with some DJ assault or Curtis Vodka shit.... even that overnight star remix by flosstradamus is pretty cool. I just cant really get down with the rest.

I feel like this is just people trying to recycle diplo or spankrock but to an bad effect.

ed banger shit is cool... im really over hearing daft punk and Frickin' justice though

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts

Well sometimes different sounds do need different names. I certainly wouldn't say that bassline was particularly close to either of the genres you mentioned - more like speed garage really. I think they only changed the name so it wouldn't be seen as a throwback to speed garage. Some are trying to call it funky, which is a pretty lame name I think.

A good article here - http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2008/03/funky-seduction.html

and http://blackdownsoundboy.blogspot.com/2007/12/wot-do-u-call-it-funky.html

jeah, this stuff is the latest plague to hit the uk, as usual it's being spearheaded by the northerners :P

most of the people making this stuff bought "sweet like chocolate" as their first single which kinda says it all. they're all under 20 years old and it's all fruity loops and ting..

as with all sub genres in the uk, things just move in cycles. It's not dissimilar to the speed garage of yesteryear.. the Dubstep stuff has similar age of producers, similar emphasis on dark bass noises.. but as with happy hardcore / dark core, you always have one "funky" style created for every "dark" style..

yeah it seems that bassline means a different thing here. I heard it was a new kind of 2 step thing. But here its being used to describe all manner of electronic music that is minimal in nature and features a prominent bassline. Perhaps im just
    I don't exactly get out to many clubs these days ha ha

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    so my next question is, is craze gonna go loopy off that kanye loot too?

have you heard crazes frabic mix? its very much in the same genres as being described in this thread.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    nah, pretty sure i've got a copy of it lying around on a harddrive somewhere but never listened to it, but i did give him a copy of cold chisel khe sanh on vinyl when he was out here last. He didn't get to play it at the sydney show alas...

sad to say the craze i once idolized smashing the dmc competition [scratchin, what is it?] and battling on ricky lake [oh my] is gonna go the same route as this cornball ass a-trak. when he released his first battle record, i bought it and it was def on the bass tip but had its moments. so i knew he was into all that, but hopped it would never get to a level much like this.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

sad to say the craze i once idolized smashing the dmc competition [scratchin, what is it?] and battling on ricky lake [oh my] is gonna go the same route as this cornball ass a-trak. when he released his first battle record, i bought it and it was def on the bass tip but had its moments. so i knew he was into all that, but hopped it would never get to a level much like this.

There was some interview with Craze in Scratch or Remix where he was talking about mainstream club gigs he was doing and implying that he sorta had to take them for the money. I was like, dude, you're DJ Craze! Why are you playing wack jiggy clubs? Is that what it's come to?

There was some interview with Craze in Scratch or Remix where he was talking about mainstream club gigs he was doing and implying that he sorta had to take them for the money. I was like, dude, you're DJ Craze! Why are you playing wack jiggy clubs? Is that what it's come to?

i mean, in all honesty i can see if you played some here & there for extra dough. not trying to knock the hustle. i know i would be tempted if it was for a grip to spin a party in LA or something...but when you make a lifestyle change out of it, that's where it's and that's what most of these dudes have done.

its the modern day cross over.

"thinkin about a pop record, somethin made for the STRIKE>station/STRIKE> hipsters[/b]. for a whole new relation-ship of a new type of scene"

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

i mean, in all honesty i can see if you played some here & there for extra dough. not trying to knock the hustle. i know i would be tempted if it was for a grip to spin a party in LA or something...but when you make a lifestyle change out of it, that's where it's and that's what most of these dudes have done.

its the modern day cross over.

"thinkin about a pop record, somethin made for the STRIKE>station/STRIKE> hipsters[/b]. for a whole new relation-ship of a new type of scene"

No, I'm not mad at him for playing mainstream gigs, I was just surprised he was taking time to discuss his inability to play anything besides hot club shit in a magazine.

I'm not loving a lot of that hipster dance shit, but if it gets Craze away from doing straight Top 40 clurb nonsense, it's a step in the right direction.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Every time I've seen Craze spin it's been strictly D&B sets mixed with scratch routines.