I went and saw A-Trak & Steve Aoki Last Night...

Comments

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    well craze was spinning drum and bass like 3-4 years ago... so I think maybe he just gets into phases. He's definitely a technician, has he ever really put anything soulful out as far as mixtapes and stuff?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i'd rather hear craze rip up some top 40 crap than hipster rave music.

• i mean, in all honesty i can see if you played some here & there for extra dough. not trying to knock the hustle. i know i would be tempted if it was for a grip to spin a party in LA or something...but when you make a lifestyle change out of it, that's where it's and that's what most of these dudes have done.

its the modern day cross over.

"thinkin about a pop record, somethin made for the STRIKE>station/STRIKE> hipsters[/b]. for a whole new relation-ship of a new type of scene"

These dudes are using their skills to make a very good living. Good for them. I'm not into the nu-rave/blog house/fidget house thing either, but there is very little (if any) money to be made as a scratch dj these days.

what do you mean by "lifestyle change?"

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    "lifestyle change"

Dudes are doing it big, props to them.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

i don't know if you're either/or, but from a "hip-hop" turntablists perspective that whole bloghouse, microwave dj in a box [hipster] crowd/lifestyle is not the same. and if you say it's the same, that's because you maybe know too many people that have crossed over. not tryin to start hatt.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

i don't know if you're either/or, but from a "hip-hop" turntablists perspective that whole bloghouse, microwave dj in a box [hipster] crowd/lifestyle is not the same. and if you say it's the same, that's because you maybe know too many people that have crossed over. not tryin to start hatt.

This sounds like high school "my favorite band sold out" mentality here...

• well of course playing DJ battles for a bunch of dudes with backpacks is going to be a little different than flying around the world and DJing for a bunch of raver 19 year olds. But the latter comes with the territory and the former isn't really an option anymore. It's not for everyone, but I don't see anything wrong with making some nice loot.

And I know some dudes that "crossed over." They wear different tshirts now, but are still the same dudes.

i don't know if you're either/or, but from a "hip-hop" turntablists perspective that whole bloghouse, microwave dj in a box [hipster] crowd/lifestyle is not the same.

hate to braek it to you, but that was 10 years ago. the skratch scene ain't the same either. you can't expect those dudes from 10 years ago to sustain on the winnings of a pair of gold technics turntables just to eat. if those dudes can get paid playing music they enjoy DJing, good for them. regardless of their taste in music now, we know where they came from and their ability to rock. i can't blame them for taping into different genres as i don't see many DJs of their calibre touring with strictly playing hip-hop, or supporting acts that are going to allow them to support themselves and/or families.

get paid cos the skratch scene ain't going to pay them.

• aahha......this thread got good.

OH NO! DEEJAY DUDES MAKING A GOOD LIVING! fuck outta here with that.

steve aoki on the other hand is wack.
    money don't buy skillz, son!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Can we stick to the bad music issue?

I have nothing wrong with getting paid.

I would love... LOVE to hear some better music when I go out. It's really bad these days.

A good DJ, or at least one worth his own weight (and a lot of these dudes are skinny as hell) should be able to do both, right?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can we stick to the bad music issue?

I have nothing wrong with getting paid.

I would love... LOVE to hear some better music when I go out. It's really bad these days.

A good DJ, or at least one worth his own weight (and a lot of these dudes are skinny as hell) should be able to do both, right?

where did it go wrong?

• where did it go wrong?

FROM GIANT ROBOT TO GIANT SELLOUT.

??Por qu?? debo llorar?

• well then, yeah a lot of the music being dropped is SUPER shitty. It has a shelf live of like a few months. I'm really curious where that whole "quadrant" will be next year. The cream will rise to the top as always though.

i'm not hating the hustlenomics of it,

not trying to knock the hustle. i know i would be tempted if it was for a grip to spin a party in LA or something

i have really great friends on either side of the argument. some are the crossover type as far as the "lifestyle" goes, not just the music. then some of them are still the same ol' person [like craze is] that evolved with the sound. that's more respect right there if you ask me. you don't always have to play the part. just like how in the turntablism world you didn't always have to be a backpacker [see swamp].

i guess its sort of hard to explain the argument via the interwebs but ohh well.

where did it go wrong?

FROM GIANT ROBOT TO GIANT SELLOUT.

??Por qu?? debo llorar?

uh-ohhhhhh
    it ain't my fault
    did i do that?!
    it ain't my fault
    did i do that?
    it ain't my fault
    did i do that?!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This thread is major corny. Alot of dudes hatting because their favorite dj isn't rocking their "The Scenario" routine anymore.

People who readily admit they're aren't familiar with the scene shouldn't be able to comment on it. You sound like your parents when they first heard hip hop.

PS. a lot of DFA & Ed Banger shit is garbage.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

i guess its sort of hard to explain the argument via the interwebs but ohh well.

nah, just look at Cage. hahaha

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I heard A-Trak play last week and it was really bad, and this is coming from someone that has been heavy into dance music for years. Just poor selection, and not playing to the crowd.

Playing hard rave/electro tracks at 11-12pm?

uh-ohhhhhh
    it ain't my fault
    did i do that?!
    it ain't my fault
    did i do that?
    it ain't my fault
    did i do that?!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh- it ain't my fault.

east bank gangsta steeze

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

I think shamelessly jumping on trends and just doing what people want is kinda sad. I mean... if this was like a Young Jeezy forum i could understand this shit going around... but aren't you guys supposed to respect good music and the DJs who WORK HARD to make good music approachable... not simply just be as approachable as possible.

I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him. thats all I guess. I'll never be able to relate to you dudes... you guys dont wanna knock anyones hustle... I think sometimes when someone is perpetrating they need to get called out.

• thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

I think shamelessly jumping on trends and just doing what people want is kinda sad. I mean... if this was like a Young Jeezy forum i could understand this shit going around... but aren't you guys supposed to respect good music and the DJs who WORK HARD to make good music approachable... not simply just be as approachable as possible.

I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him. thats all I guess. I'll never be able to relate to you dudes... you guys dont wanna knock anyones hustle... I think sometimes when someone is perpetrating they need to get called out.

I think you're jumping to conclusions (WHERE's YOUR MAT!). Me, I think a lot of that shit is some terrible-ass music and yeah a little shameless on the bandwagon jumping. With that being, I think there is some dope stuff coming out of that little universe (Some of the baltimore remixes and Wale for example)

But it seems like you dudes expected "turntablism" to keep folks paid?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

One quick comment and I'll drop it. That was only reason I mentioned Craze at all. I figured a guy like could make loot doing a lot of other DJ-oriented things and get paid besides resorting to playing stripey-shirt jiggy clubs in Miami. In the interview he made it seem like he had to take these gigs, and he had to play all the hits. If those are the gigs you want, great. It didn't sound like that for him, though.

OK, given THAT audience, what would you choose to play for them? what's logical in a situation like this?

a lot of those folks, not all of them, just want something fast with a beat that they can flop around to. it's not like they're trying to do any dutty win'ing / grindin' they crotch on somebody / or some housing shit. at best it's a jump up and down and punch their fist in the air.

to me, it's not about rhythm, but all about tempo with a dash of irony.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

You sound British.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

where did it go wrong?

One take:

When 80's throwback nights started popping up with dj's playing for adults songs that were only meant for kids to like.

The kitsch factor at that point overtook the quality factor and it's been all downhill since then.

Another take:

When dudes who dj club music now who never used to go to clubs back-in-the-day started to become the main dj's.

How are you gonna know what traditionally works when you are trying and failing to recreate the wheel each night?

Another take:

When hardcore audiences were extracted from all club scenes by an influx of softbatch patrons.

This is probably related to Take 1 in that when you switch to stupid music you end up with only stupid dancers.

Another take:

Somehow De La Soul's Stakes Is High and all of the complaint rappers that followed it (Talib Kweli, etc.) need to shoulder some of the blame here.

Y'all killed the only kind of rap many dj's would play in clubs which completely cut the branch from the tree of the real.

Another take:

DJ's are looking everywhere but under their own noses for what's supposedly hot.

Apparently, American hood rap and Jamaican dancehall and Trini soca aren't good enough for us. We need something more hipsteur-easque or nothing at all.

Shall I go on?

But it seems like you dudes expected "turntablism" to keep folks paid?

i didn't expect anyone to get paid doin it. i smoke weed everyday, i don't give a F*CK!

• jiggy