I went and saw A-Trak & Steve Aoki Last Night...

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I have no doubt that he has a true passion for the music he plays now. He just turned down doing Kanye's next tour, so it's definitely not all about the money for him. Not to mention that he started his own label etc...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I have no doubt that he has a true passion for the music he plays now. He just turned down doing Kanye's next tour, so it's definitely not all about the money for him. Not to mention that he started his own label etc...

I doubt that had anything to do with musical integrity, touring SUCKS...BAD. fuck that shit, give me a normal life anyday. I did that shit for like 2 months and I hated it, I can't imagine doing it for like 6 months to a year solid. ugh.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Apparently, American hood rap and Jamaican dancehall and Trini soca aren't good enough for us. We need something more hipsteur-easque or nothing at all.

You can actually play hood shit, dancehall and some soca in your mix if you're crafty. Rick Blaze - Cut them off is a good example.

These are almost tasteless crowds. You can bend them to your will, but there's alot of lazy dudes that just flip through blogs and pull out whatever just released and slap em together like that's magically going to be effective.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I doubt that had anything to do with musical integrity, touring SUCKS...BAD. fuck that shit, give me a normal life anyday. I did that shit for like 2 months and I hated it, I can't imagine doing it for like 6 months to a year solid. ugh.

Maybe so but we're talking about one of the biggest artists in the world right now, that's serious cake.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    tasteless crowds.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    maybe he was tired of all the guys hitting on him while touring with kanye

....uhh oh, j/k.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

When 80's throwback nights started popping up with dj's playing for adults songs that were only meant for kids to like.

The kitsch factor at that point overtook the quality factor and it's been all downhill since then.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    maybe he was tired of all the guys hitting on him while touring with kanye

....uhh oh, j/k.

well this is a good point. when i would go to these shows to see skratch DJs, or even underground hip-hop music, it was nothing but dudes. if there was a girl there, it was some dude's girl in most cases. on the UPSIDE, these hipster crowds consist of a lot more chicks. chicks like to dance, and the cute ones are easier to look at. why not?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I heard A-Trak play last week and it was really bad, and this is coming from someone that has been heavy into dance music for years. Just poor selection, and not playing to the crowd.

Playing hard rave/electro tracks at 11-12pm?

This was my impression as well...

well put by someone who's opinion should be the to this thread's subject at hand

you can criticize the dj (in this case A-Trak) for his technique adopting a new style
    you can analyse his attempts at expanding his territory

dont mash them all together...

I am sure a-trak 'the tastemaker' embraces parts of this trendtech music scene
    He may despise others
    he takes it into account and makes decisions regarding his income and musical abilities accordingly

or

What I wanna hear someone say is that A-trak was a good hip hop dj, outside of turntablism. Everytime I saw him actually spin, he sucked.

Dope on cuts and routines though.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

Somehow De La Soul's Stakes Is High and all of the complaint rappers that followed it (Talib Kweli, etc.) need to shoulder some of the blame here.

Y'all killed the only kind of rap many dj's would play in clubs which completely cut the branch from the tree of the real.

I don't get this... How do you mean?

Also: Craze's thing is Miami Bass right now.

Also: Why wouldn't you take a job DJing at a mega club? You're DJing for thousands of dollars... Who gives a fuck?

• , but there's alot of lazy dudes that just flip through blogs and pull out whatever just released and slap em together like that's magically going to be effective.

OH LORD! man i've been wanting to do a post about this. One of the wack-ass things of Microwave, now any motherfucker can be like "yeah! lemme deejay a genre I know nothing about..". In this case "google search: justice, baltimore, diplo".

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

, but there's alot of lazy dudes that just flip through blogs and pull out whatever just released and slap em together like that's magically going to be effective.

OH LORD! man i've been wanting to do a post about this. One of the wack-ass things of Microwave, now any motherfucker can be like "yeah! lemme deejay a genre I know nothing about..". In this case "google search: justice, baltimore, diplo".

yeah that's true, but people also used to go buy a bunch of records they knew nothing about and play them....

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I heard A-Trak play last week and it was really bad, and this is coming from someone that has been heavy into dance music for years. Just poor selection, and not playing to the crowd.

Playing hard rave/electro tracks at 11-12pm?

This was my impression as well...

well put by someone who's opinion should be the to this thread's subject at hand

you can criticize the dj (in this case A-Trak) for his technique adopting a new style
    you can analyse his attempts at expanding his territory

dont mash them all together...

I am sure a-trak 'the tastemaker' embraces parts of this trendtech music scene
    He may despise others
    he takes it into account and makes decisions regarding his income and musical abilities accordingly

or

The thing I found most surprising was that he didn't play any of his own remixes/productions, which are better than 90% of the music I heard him play that night.

, but there's alot of lazy dudes that just flip through blogs and pull out whatever just released and slap em together like that's magically going to be effective.

On top of that, a lot of dudes shouldn't be dj's in the first place. Some people simply don't have the ear for it. Microwave should face SERIOUS BLAME!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

The thing I found most suprising was that he didn't play any of his own remixes/productions, which are better than 90% of the music I heard him play that night.

which is what i expected to see seeing it was his new label's launch so to speak

I have really liked the prod he did for that GLC guy from Chicago and even dipset

Speaking to his hiphop DJ days when he interspliced routines with beat-making on the spot type stuff and good track selection he was good (mtl circa 2000)

yeah that's true, but people also used to go buy a bunch of records they knew nothing about and play them....

True, definitely. Microwave has enabled any jackass to get behind decks and call him/herself a dj like no other medium/tech has.

• The thing I found most suprising was that he didn't play any of his own remixes/productions, which are better than 90% of the music I heard him play that night.

which is what i expected to see seeing it was his new label's launch so to speak

I have really liked the prod he did for that GLC guy from Chicago and even dipset

Speaking to his hiphop DJ days when he interspliced routines with beat-making on the spot type stuff and good track selection he was good (mtl circa 2000)

I've been cleaning out my collection and stumbled upon some Obscure Disorder 12''s. I kept 'em.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

I guess I've only seen him on off days. ???

I've never seen him successfully mix/blend two hip hop records together.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I've been cleaning out my collection and stumbled upon some Obscure Disorder 12''s. I kept 'em.

What's up my dude?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    True, definitely. iPod / mp3s have enabled any jackass to get behind decks and call him/herself a dj like no other medium/tech has.

All they do is this?

OR

They just stand around like this?

The answer is crucial!

• thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

I think shamelessly jumping on trends and just doing what people want is kinda sad. I mean... if this was like a Young Jeezy forum i could understand this shit going around... but aren't you guys supposed to respect good music and the DJs who WORK HARD to make good music approachable... not simply just be as approachable as possible.

I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him. thats all I guess. I'll never be able to relate to you dudes... you guys dont wanna knock anyones hustle... I think sometimes when someone is perpetrating they need to get called out.

i think people were somehow mislead into thinking "tablists" are made of this "keeping it real" cloth and that they would keep 1994 alive and well into the next milleneum with back moon juggles and 4click tear flares. the fact of the matter is that these are real people with real musical tastes that may not sync with your own.

more importantly, saying someone has lost integrity for spinning a certain type of music or that someone elses music style is stupid, is as juvenile as social strata in highschools... it makes no sense that someone else's choices are invalid simply because they don't match your own. additionally, EVERYTHING is a trend, they just happen to have varying lengths of lifespan. meaning, everyone is on some sort of trend. and saying someone is jumping on a trend is sorta the kettle calling the pot black. can anyone help it if they like that type of music?

point being, this whole notion of "my music is better than yours" or "we spin GOOD music" as opposed to bad is pretty much most limiting mindframe for anyone who claims to love music.

and anyone who calls yourself a DJ... if your ego is preventing the general dancefloor from having fun... YOU ARE THE ONE PERPETRATING... and should never play for other people outside of your own bedroom.

thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

I think shamelessly jumping on trends and just doing what people want is kinda sad. I mean... if this was like a Young Jeezy forum i could understand this shit going around... but aren't you guys supposed to respect good music and the DJs who WORK HARD to make good music approachable... not simply just be as approachable as possible.

I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him. thats all I guess. I'll never be able to relate to you dudes... you guys dont wanna knock anyones hustle... I think sometimes when someone is perpetrating they need to get called out.

i think people were somehow mislead into thinking "tablists" are made of this "keeping it real" cloth and that they would keep 1994 alive and well into the next milleneum with back moon juggles and 4click tear flares. the fact of the matter is that these are real people with real musical tastes that may not sync with your own.

more importantly, saying someone has lost integrity for spinning a certain type of music or that someone elses music style is stupid, is as juvenile as social strata in highschools... it makes no sense that someone else's choices are invalid simply because they don't match your own. additionally, EVERYTHING is a trend, they just happen to have varying lengths of lifespan. meaning, everyone is on some sort of trend. and saying someone is jumping on a trend is sorta the kettle calling the pot black. can anyone help it if they like that type of music?

point being, this whole notion of "my music is better than yours" or "we spin GOOD music" as opposed to bad is pretty much most limiting mindframe for anyone who claims to love music.

and anyone who calls yourself a DJ... if your ego is preventing the general dancefloor from having fun... YOU ARE THE ONE PERPETRATING... and should never play for other people outside of your own bedroom.

• ^^^^^^^
    PLAYS AVRIL LAVIGNE MASHUPS

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

All they do is this?

OR

They just stand around like this?

The answer is crucial!

Actually, i play the two tracks back to back, mashup in the middle. (and it is 'dis' not 'this')

Isn't the huge problem with quality dance music these days the fact that that people don't dance?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well... this is my thing - you want to play commercial hip-hop, good... there is some great top 40 rapps out there. You want to play house? there's catalogs of shit you can step to. You want to play B-more, mash-up, 80s... there's a way to do it with taste and originality.

I am not one of these dudes that wants to hear Mickey & The Soul Generation when I go out. I want to drink my lil drink and do my two step and look at some chicks 5-10 years younger than me. Then I want to go home to my wife and my nice life and all that shit and I can listen to motherfuckin... Ornette Coleman or Tommie Young in the record shop.

I'm just saying... there's this preponderance of dudes who have NO STYLE and their taste is totally dictated and ITS EVERYWHERE and it f*cking ruins the nightlife.

Just because you have some bonehead striped shirt posse members in your crowd or you're playing amateur hour 'cause it's Saturday night in the village doesn't mean you have to SUCK. If half these people dedicated real time to learning about their craft, about MUSIC, they would be much better DJs.... and maybe even better people.

One

• ^^^^^^^
    PLAYS AVRIL LAVIGNE MASHUPS

maybe not really, but i will play the dream- i luv your girl at 12:00 am and have all the girls in the town singing "fuuuuuuck that n****"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Isn't the huge problem with quality dance music these days the fact that that people don't dance?

I like to dance. But I'm also white. Did I accidently kill the trend when I started to like it? 'Cause I'll stop if that's the problem.