I went and saw A-Trak & Steve Aoki Last Night...

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    and maybe even better people.

It hath been tooken there.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I like to dance. But I'm also white. Did I accidently kill the trend when I started to like it? 'Cause I'll stop if that's the problem.

Just close the door and get back into that sexy get-up.

• Well... this is my thing - you want to play commercial hip-hop, good... there is some great top 40 rapps out there. You want to play house? there's catalogs of shit you can step to. You want to play B-more, mash-up, 80s... there's a way to do it with taste and originality.

I am not one of these dudes that wants to hear Mickey & The Soul Generation when I go out. I want to drink my lil drink and do my two step and look at some chicks 5-10 years younger than me. Then I want to go home to my wife and my nice life and all that shit and I can listen to motherfuckin... Ornette Coleman or Tommie Young in the record shop.

I'm just saying... there's this preponderance of dudes who have NO STYLE and their taste is totally dictated and ITS EVERYWHERE and it f*cking ruins the nightlife.

Just because you have some bonehead striped shirt posse members in your crowd or you're playing amateur hour 'cause it's Saturday night in the village doesn't mean you have to SUCK. If half these people dedicated real time to learning about their craft, about MUSIC, they would be much better DJs.... and maybe even better people.

One

/thread

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Well... this is my thing - you want to play commercial hip-hop, good... there is some great top 40 rapps out there. You want to play house? there's catalogs of shit you can step to. You want to play B-more, mash-up, 80s... there's a way to do it with taste and originality.

I am not one of these dudes that wants to hear Mickey & The Soul Generation when I go out. I want to drink my lil drink and do my two step and look at some chicks 5-10 years younger than me. Then I want to go home to my wife and my nice life and all that shit and I can listen to motherfuckin... Ornette Coleman or Tommie Young in the record shop.

Agreed.

What's really good about ogling 18-year-olds, though?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

All they do is this?

OR

They just stand around like this?

The answer is crucial!

Actually, i play the two tracks back to back, mashup in the middle. (and it is 'dis' not 'this')

Isn't the huge problem with quality dance music these days the fact that that people don't dance?

(and it is 'dis' not 'this')

Thanks for the ebonics lesson, but nah.

Isn't the huge problem with quality dance music these days the fact that that people don't dance?

Nah.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Well... this is my thing - you want to play commercial hip-hop, good... there is some great top 40 rapps out there. You want to play house? there's catalogs of shit you can step to. You want to play B-more, mash-up, 80s... there's a way to do it with taste and originality.

Agreed.

An admirable attempt to woo me with compliments, but I said 5-10 years... I'm nearly 31.

• Well... this is my thing - you want to play commercial hip-hop, good... there is some great top 40 rapps out there. You want to play house? there's catalogs of shit you can step to. You want to play B-more, mash-up, 80s... there's a way to do it with taste and originality.

Agreed.

everything is good about ogling 18 year olds. it happens. you should get familiar.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

I'm just saying... there's this preponderance of dudes who have NO STYLE and their taste is totally dictated and ITS EVERYWHERE and it f*cking ruins the nightlife.

Just because you have some bonehead striped shirt posse members in your crowd or you're playing amateur hour 'cause it's Saturday night in the village doesn't mean you have to SUCK. If half these people dedicated real time to learning about their craft, about MUSIC, they would be much better DJs.... and maybe even better people.

One

/thread

precisely

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I like to dance. But I'm also white. Did I accidently kill the trend when I started to like it? 'Cause I'll stop if that's the problem.

Just close the door and get back into that sexy get-up.

That's it. I'm getting a shade for my window.

Agreed.

everything is good about ogling 18 year olds. it happens. you should get familiar.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him.

Isn't part of the reason why A-Trak is spinning what he's spinning precisely because he's NOT getting "fed" by the music community you're repping?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Somehow De La Soul's Stakes Is High and all of the complaint rappers that followed it (Talib Kweli, etc.) need to shoulder some of the blame here.

Y'all killed the only kind of rap many dj's would play in clubs which completely cut the branch from the tree of the real.

I don't get this... How do you mean?

Playing TROY or Straighten Out for that matter in a club was cool...but if the next logical extension of that type of music goes through Stakes Is High to Talib Kweli...then cool and club should no longer be in the same sentence.

And if that type of music was the only rap a given dj played...and it has since fallen out of club compliance...then no more rap in that given club.

But that's just the prognosis. The prescription is a time machine that allows said strictly boom-bap rap spinner to have had appreciated other forms of rap that now stand up better than the usual boom-bap classics do in the club (Ain't No Future in Yo Frontin', Back to the Hotel, Pimp of the Year, etc.) and would have led said boom-bap dj to other more current stuff that is also 100% club compliant.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this thread

Somehow De La Soul's Stakes Is High and all of the complaint rappers that followed it (Talib Kweli, etc.) need to shoulder some of the blame here.

Y'all killed the only kind of rap many dj's would play in clubs which completely cut the branch from the tree of the real.

I don't get this... How do you mean?

Playing TROY or Straighten Out for that matter in a club was cool...but if the next logical extension of that type of music goes through Stakes Is High to Talib Kweli...then cool and club should no longer be in the same sentence.

And if that type of music was the only rap a given dj played...and it has since fallen out of club compliance...then no more rap in that given club.

But that's just the prognosis. The prescription is a time machine that allows said strictly boom-bap rap spinner to have had appreciated other forms of rap that now stand up better than the usual boom-bap classics do in the club (Ain't No Future in Yo Frontin', Back to the Hotel, Pimp of the Year, etc.) and would have led said boom-bap dj to other more current stuff that is also 100% club compliant.

club compliance defined!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    WHY YOU HATTIN' ON DA KID MILLIONAIRE AND A-TRIZZLE???? RILLE RECOGNIZE RILLE!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i really like the notion that doing scratch nerdery for a bunch of dorks with backpacks is somehow more respectable than spinning blog house for a bunch of 21 yr old college kids

almost as funny as the people who think the only way to spin for women is to spin blog house

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    almost as funny as the people who think the only way to spin for women is to spin blog house

or r&b - this one is for the ladies - ahhhhhgggggg, piss off!

i really like the notion that doing scratch nerdery for a bunch of dorks with backpacks is somehow more respectable than spinning blog house for a bunch of 21 yr old college kids

It is though, shitbird.

There's more of a technical aspect to it. It takes more skill to pull off.

So to a dj purist, and there are many on this board, the difference is obvious.

But you laugh down at everything, so your continued smuggery doesn't surprise.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I think the cream of the crop, Daft Punk, Justice, Diplo, etc is steady rising or already bigtime get that CADILLAC money.

Hell I am really feelin all the Tittsworth and Ayres stuff, whaddup dudes. I remember Titts used to post all the time in the announcements section here on the
    'Strut. Dude is hella funny with the food pictures, too.

That Kid Cudi Crookers remix is straight fire, word to Catchdubs & Fools Gold.

Fun stuff, gets the ladies dancing,

don't hatt don't hatt.

there are other ways? lulzzz

I think the cream of the crop, Daft Punk, Justice, Diplo, etc is steady rising or already bigtime get that CADILLAC money.

One of these things is not like the others: IM partner biases revealed!

One of these things is not like the others: IM partner biases revealed!

lulz

It is though, shitbird.

There's more of a technical aspect to it. It takes more skill to pull off.

So to a dj purist, and there are many on this board, the difference is obvious.

But you laugh down at everything, so your continued smuggery doesn't surprise.

I come from both backgrounds, turntablism and party rocking. The difference is only obvious to non-dj's who don't understand how much skill, psychology & intuition is involved in crowd reading, song selection, record breaking, mixing in key, for mood, proper layering, handling the mic, etc, in party rocking.

Turntablism is almost devoid of nuance. WYSIWYG. I respect it all the same, but post 2000, the level of originality/musicianship amongst tablists dropped completely. In fact, the whole scene split between the followers of Ricci Rucker, the so-called scratch musicians, and dudes that were more inclined to just pull tricks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this may shock harvey but how much work something takes does not make it inherently more valuable

this may shock harvey but how much work something takes does not make it inherently more valuable

Tell that to the American dollar.

But that's the thing about TT-ism, once you get your foundations straight, you're pretty much apply the same techniques to different records. Granted it takes a lot of honing to get world class skills, but once you got a juggle pattern or scratch down, you can apply to every sound or song with the same time structure.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

or r&b - this one is for the ladies - ahhhhhgggggg, piss off!

or naked

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    hmm...so you're saying that classical pianists may in fact work harder than turntablists? harvey you might be into the wrong music

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

I think shamelessly jumping on trends and just doing what people want is kinda sad. I mean... if this was like a Young Jeezy forum i could understand this shit going around... but aren't you guys supposed to respect good music and the DJs who WORK HARD to make good music approachable... not simply just be as approachable as possible.

I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him. thats all I guess. I'll never be able to relate to you dudes... you guys dont wanna knock anyones hustle... I think sometimes when someone is perpetrating they need to get called out.

i think people were somehow mislead into thinking "tablists" are made of this "keeping it real" cloth and that they would keep 1994 alive and well into the next milleneum with back moon juggles and 4click tear flares. the fact of the matter is that these are real people with real musical tastes that may not sync with your own.

more importantly, saying someone has lost integrity for spinning a certain type of music or that someone elses music style is stupid, is as juvenile as social strata in highschools... it makes no sense that someone else's choices are invalid simply because they don't match your own. additionally, EVERYTHING is a trend, they just happen to have varying lengths of lifespan. meaning, everyone is on some sort of trend. and saying someone is jumping on a trend is sorta the kettle calling the pot black. can anyone help it if they like that type of music?

point being, this whole notion of "my music is better than yours" or "we spin GOOD music" as opposed to bad is pretty much most limiting mindframe for anyone who claims to love music.

and anyone who calls yourself a DJ... if your ego is preventing the general dancefloor from having fun... YOU ARE THE ONE PERPETRATING... and should never play for other people outside of your own bedroom.

You guys are totally misreading me... I am all about getting the dancefloor moving. I just think that you can do it artfully... for me... a big dickmove is sitting up there stroking your own ego playing shit that cant make people dance... another big dickmove is playing aweful music just to make people dance. You act like its impossible to move a crowd full of trendy kids to good music... thats simply incorrect. Im just saying.... I'd rather hear someone play the clubby shit right than just try to guess at what was hot like 10 years ago in mexican border clubs. Quit assuming about my taste and read what I actually wrote.

Im not at all asking DJs to prevent the dancefloor for having fun... Im rather asking DJs to try to raise the Frickin' bar a tad. And you guys just celebrate any sort of response from a crowd. look... ANYBODY can poorly mix top 40 pop and get a gig where thousands of people party down weekly. I just figured this wasn't that crowd. I was always impressed by like Rich Medina or Jeremy Sole... Im even into really lighthearted shit to get the crowd moving. I just think all these people have just been taking the next logical step after the next logical step until they've totally lost the point. Which I assumed was... taking the best of these hyper dancable genres and keeping it as tasteful as possible while still keeping the dancing at a maximum. I see like 500 people a week dancing to afrobeat so I just dont get how not playing shitty eurotrance as the ONLY means to make people dance is perpitrating.

Fuck you guys.. your idiots. And are you a DJ? And you play pop mashes and eurotrance? Do you play for thousands of people for thousands of dollars often? I just see it as... getting to that level where you are playing for that many people takes a lot of work... I'd rather expend that effort into trying to do something that feels a bit more true and a bit less equation based. Its like these guys have never heard of using context to pull over good music.

and A-trak should be playing his remixs and shit... i couldn't agree more. I love some of his productions.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts

One

/thread

agreed.