I went and saw A-Trak & Steve Aoki Last Night...

1235»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'd rather hear someone play the clubby shit right than just try to guess at what was hot like 10 years ago in mexican border clubs.

Asshurt.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    he hates the mexicans

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i do agree w/ unconsci on some pts here, just in the sense that theres nothing ive heard atrak or diplo do, particularly of late, that makes me think 'wow these guys are amazing' or whatever. there's a huge wave of hype accompanying ny djs with good marketing teams and relationships with turntable lab and the fader and thats the reality of it. maybe if a trak and diplo were spinning weeklys in my neighborhood and i went out every week and had a ball id be all about it but frankly the fact that we're even talking about these dudes has a whole lot to do w/ their hustle + ability to take advantage of a market that connects thru the internet.

i think its pretty clear why white college students in their early 20s in chicago know about some hipster ny dj and dont even know who 'boolumaster' is, despite the latter being huge on radio and doing clubs regularly in this city for years. and being an amazing dj (repeat for dj slugo or naphets - oh wait flosstradamus did a show with him, maybe his name rings out now lol)

i do agree w/ unconsci on some pts here

Shit, I do too. But damn, why does he have to sound like a flaming bitch to make them?

As far as shit being amazing, I mean dudes are remixing standard mainstream cuts for the most part and making them less of a "guilty pleasure" and more of an underground club track. I don't think they're out to make amazing shit.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I'd rather hear someone play the clubby shit right than just try to guess at what was hot like 10 years ago in mexican border clubs.

Asshurt.

How so?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    actually im gonna apologize and cross the 'white' off of 'white college students' here cuz really in chicago its a pretty diverse scene of dudes who go to parties like that.

Asshurt.

How so?

Shit, I do too. But damn, why does he have to sound like a flaming bitch to make them?

actually im gonna apologize and cross the 'white' off of 'white college students' here cuz really in chicago its a pretty diverse scene of dudes who go to parties like that.

Same thing here, I think the assumption on SS is that this crowd is %100 white, %100 of the time. In Houston, I'm pretty sure its just as white as it is hispanic, with plenty blacks and asians thrown in.

Asshurt.

How so?

I dont see how I sound like a flaming bitch. Listen... I love DJing, I love hip hop. So I kinda like to see the status quo go in decent directions. I like hearing a new trend and feeling good about it. I think we're digressing and when I made my point you came at me and got all shitty. I just get mad when people think its OK to just extract money from the music community on some, "who the fuck cares".

I don't even care to come to some agreement with you but I dont get whats so fun about provoking bullshit on the internet about shit you dont even agree with.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Asshurt.

How so?

F**k you guys.. your idiots. And are you a DJ?

• thats some bullshit man. Im complaining because they used to be interesting and now they are playing garbage. Its just sad to someone you used to respect for integrity no longer having any. The scene they are jumping into is PURE gimmick so whatever. I Frickin' hate you guys "Dont hate" thats the most loaded bullshit ever.

I think shamelessly jumping on trends and just doing what people want is kinda sad. I mean... if this was like a Young Jeezy forum i could understand this shit going around... but aren't you guys supposed to respect good music and the DJs who WORK HARD to make good music approachable... not simply just be as approachable as possible.

I dont hate on A-trak as a human being... i dont know him, but as a tastemaker. He could be doing a lot more for the music community that feeds him. thats all I guess. I'll never be able to relate to you dudes... you guys dont wanna knock anyones hustle... I think sometimes when someone is perpetrating they need to get called out.

i think people were somehow mislead into thinking "tablists" are made of this "keeping it real" cloth and that they would keep 1994 alive and well into the next milleneum with back moon juggles and 4click tear flares. the fact of the matter is that these are real people with real musical tastes that may not sync with your own.

more importantly, saying someone has lost integrity for spinning a certain type of music or that someone elses music style is stupid, is as juvenile as social strata in highschools... it makes no sense that someone else's choices are invalid simply because they don't match your own. additionally, EVERYTHING is a trend, they just happen to have varying lengths of lifespan. meaning, everyone is on some sort of trend. and saying someone is jumping on a trend is sorta the kettle calling the pot black. can anyone help it if they like that type of music?

point being, this whole notion of "my music is better than yours" or "we spin GOOD music" as opposed to bad is pretty much most limiting mindframe for anyone who claims to love music.

and anyone who calls yourself a DJ... if your ego is preventing the general dancefloor from having fun... YOU ARE THE ONE PERPETRATING... and should never play for other people outside of your own bedroom.

You guys are totally misreading me... I am all about getting the dancefloor moving. I just think that you can do it artfully... for me... a big dickmove is sitting up there stroking your own ego playing shit that cant make people dance... another big dickmove is playing aweful music just to make people dance. You act like its impossible to move a crowd full of trendy kids to good music... thats simply incorrect. Im just saying.... I'd rather hear someone play the clubby shit right than just try to guess at what was hot like 10 years ago in mexican border clubs. Quit assuming about my taste and read what I actually wrote.

Im not at all asking DJs to prevent the dancefloor for having fun... Im rather asking DJs to try to raise the Frickin' bar a tad. And you guys just celebrate any sort of response from a crowd. look... ANYBODY can poorly mix top 40 pop and get a gig where thousands of people party down weekly. I just figured this wasn't that crowd. I was always impressed by like Rich Medina or Jeremy Sole... Im even into really lighthearted shit to get the crowd moving. I just think all these people have just been taking the next logical step after the next logical step until they've totally lost the point. Which I assumed was... taking the best of these hyper dancable genres and keeping it as tasteful as possible while still keeping the dancing at a maximum. I see like 500 people a week dancing to afrobeat so I just dont get how not playing shitty eurotrance as the ONLY means to make people dance is perpitrating.

Fuck you guys.. your idiots. And are you a DJ? And you play pop mashes and eurotrance? Do you play for thousands of people for thousands of dollars often? I just see it as... getting to that level where you are playing for that many people takes a lot of work... I'd rather expend that effort into trying to do something that feels a bit more true and a bit less equation based. Its like these guys have never heard of using context to pull over good music.

and A-trak should be playing his remixs and shit... i couldn't agree more. I love some of his productions.

you are right. there are some idiots here. i actually disagree with alot of this board. that said, then maybe neither of us should post here.

however i did read what you wrote, and if you were misunderstood, it was in the poor articulation of your argument. you are pretty vague as to what is "good" or "raising the bar" and stated that whatever they(the djs you are talking about) are spinning is gimmicky music and they are jumping on trends.

none of that is an actual argument based on anything resembling a fact. it's merely your opinion of those genres/styles/(sub)cultures.

and if you see 500 people dancing to afrobeat, then you should know those people are there because they like the music. they know the music. its a niche crowd. it isnt a general crowd. so of course the dj has more artistic license to do what they want and "lift that bar" so to speak.

in other words: get in where you fit in.

and why yes i am a dj. no i dont spin trance or blog house or whatever. and i will play "different" stuff as long as i think the crowd will hang with me. but djing here you gotta be a chameleon with your music and be ready if the crowd switches on you.

you should probably chill out. smoke a bowl. because you sound kinda confrontational. dont get it twisted. trust i aint a pushover. infact there are a fair amount of solid ass djs here who will throw down on the get down. and trying to drop numbers about how you see 500 people isnt impressing people here.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The thing I found most suprising was that he didn't play any of his own remixes/productions, which are better than 90% of the music I heard him play that night.

which is what i expected to see seeing it was his new label's launch so to speak

I have really liked the prod he did for that GLC guy from Chicago and even dipset

Speaking to his hiphop DJ days when he interspliced routines with beat-making on the spot type stuff and good track selection he was good (mtl circa 2000)

I've been cleaning out my collection and stumbled upon some Obscure Disorder 12''s. I kept 'em.

Troy is a cool dude. RESPECT.

Andy Milionakis (sp?) rode hard for Obscure Disorder.

I was just saying... I know about cool parties that make it happen. And good DJs who make it happen. I was getting a bit confrontational because I feel like i get attacked a lot for just saying my piece.

Bowl smoked... chill attained.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I was just saying... I know about cool parties that make it happen. And good DJs who make it happen. I was getting a bit confrontational because I feel like i get attacked a lot for just saying my piece.

----

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    if you promote your own niche party, or work for a promoter who is doing the same, then its your privilege to play whatever you want. the same would go, and then some, for headliners like a-trak, aoki, AM, etc., considering that any person who is paying the club's cover to see these dudes dj, should have an idea of what they are going to hear. you wouldn't spend $100 on a jay-z ticket, i'd hope, unless you were familiar with his music.

on the other hand...if you have a residency somewhere and the crowd's just random people, then playing a night filled with remixes you got off of blogs is about as smart as playing a night of all raers. imo, this whole thread is much ado about nothing, because no dj i've ever heard is keeping their job doing the above.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

...just sayin

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i can't believe i read all of this thread.
    while i agree that a lot of the music coming from this quandrant is straight terrible, dudes are just playing to the crowd. a lot of the tastemaker shit goes out the window when your crowd has the same access to tracks as the dj does. the shitty crowd is reading the same shitty blogs that the dj is, so wtf do you expect a mufuckah to play for the night?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    and i like that "complain rap" phrase harvey coined in this thread

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Well... this is my thing - you want to play commercial hip-hop, good... there is some great top 40 rapps out there. You want to play house? there's catalogs of shit you can step to. You want to play B-more, mash-up, 80s... there's a way to do it with taste and originality.

If half these people dedicated real time to learning about their craft, about MUSIC, they would be much better DJs.... and maybe even better people.

^^^^^^
    Exactly!

My little thread caught fire!
    This the first 10 pager I've started, Oh happy day!