The Wire Season 5 SPOILER Thread

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Oh, shit, it just hit me where this is could be leading: Commissioner Valchek. If Carcetti is going to fire Burrell, his two leading candidates for a replacement Daniels and Rawls have pending scandals for bribery and closeted homosexuality respectively. Unless they go outside the city, it seems to me Valchek is next in line and the show has definitely shown he will be as commish.

Rock on, Stan, rock on.

All in all, in general it turned out much better for the characters than I was expecting.

• Levy was gangster. The way he just broke it down to Marlo about what was what.

SLIM Frickin' CHARLES.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

they are all eating at my buddy's restaurant right now with the mayor. i stopped in just to peep who was there, but felt a little awkward because its just them. bunk, lester, carver, gus...and Omar walked in as i walked out. the mayor was deep in conversation with Gus for the 15 minutes i was there. pretty dope to watch it on tv and then see the dudes in person a half hour later. my fiance came with her camera and i was real tempted to get a shot with omar but i didn't want to make my friend look bad. oh well.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shit!!!!!!
    what restaurant???

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Soulstrut thraed crossover -

from http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/

"#85 The Wire
    March 9, 2008 by clander

Though white people have a natural aversion to television, there are some exceptions. For white people to like a TV show it helps if it is: critically acclaimed, low-rated, shown on premium cable, and available as a DVD box set.

The latter is important so that white people can order it from Netflix and tell their friends ???they are really into and I watched ten episodes in a row in the weekend. I???m almost caught up.???

If you attempt to talk about an episode they have not seen yet, they will scream and cover their ears. In white culture, giving away information about a film or TV series is considered as rude as spitting on your mothers grave. It is an unforgivable offense.

Recent series that have fallen into this category include The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and most recently The Wire.

For the past three years, whenever you say ???The Wire??? white people are required to respond by saying ???it???s the best show on television.??? Try it the next time you see a white person! Though now they might say ???it WAS the best show on television.???

So why do they love it so much? It all comes down to authenticity. A long time ago, someone started a rumor that when The Wire is on TV, actual police wires go quiet because all the dealers are watching the show. Though this is not true, it seems plausible enough to white people and has imbued the show with the needed authenticity to be deemed acceptable.

The popularity of this show among white people has create a unique opportunity for personal gain.

If you need to impress a white person, tell them you are from Baltimore. They will immediately ask you about The Wire and how accurate it is. You should confirm that it is ???like a documentary of the streets,??? the white person will then slowly shake their head and say ???man??? or ???wow.??? You will be seen in an entirely new light.

If you are not from Baltimore but the white person you are talking to is, they might start asking you a lot of questions. In this situation, you should just say you left when you were young but you still have a lot of cousins there but you don???t like to go back to visit. This will remove all doubts and they can go back to telling you about how John from Accounting needs to ???stop snitching??? about their two hour lunch breaks.

Note: Tonight (Sunday March 9, 2008) is the series finale. It would be considered proper etiquette to ask a white person about the show on Monday."

MCF

STWPL is so on point again!

• the scene with Michael and Dukie talking in the car and Michael can't remember buying the ice cream.

yeah, that was sad as hell, like one of the few times I felt crying. In my mind it served two purposes. It shows how naive and pure Dookie still is, here you have him fondly reminiscing and clinging to a random anecdote that he obviously held dear while Michael couldn't remember that shit to save his life. I thought this illustrates that their time as friends is over (maybe BEEN over) and also more evidence that Michael is now a "killer" and any innocence that the kid had is loooooooooong gone.

Co-sign on how shitty Namond ,of all the kids, getting a ticket to a better life. Not Randy, Dookie, or that one kid who would steal the cars. Damn shame, but that's not just Simon/The Wire that's the real world.

I thought we where going to see more of Rawls being gay play out in the series. Sort of similar to the dirt everyone had on Daniels.

• AND WHAT ABOUT BROTHER MOUZON?

He had said that great line "the game is the game, indeed".

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21In either episode 1 or 2, when Lester is sitting in his car staking out Marlo and them, he's listening to a version of "take another little piece of my heart", what version was that?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21If anyone hasn't answered this question yet (I'm just starting this thread after finishing the series), I believe that it's the original Erma Franklin version. On Shout.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21In either episode 1 or 2, when Lester is sitting in his car staking out Marlo and them, he's listening to a version of "take another little piece of my heart", what version was that?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21If anyone hasn't answered this question yet (I'm just starting this thread after finishing the series), I believe that it's the original Erma Franklin version. On Shout.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That is correct:b, 21a href="http://www.hbo.com/thewire/music/season5/episode52.shtml" target="_blank"1http://www.hbo.com/thewire/music/season5/episode52.shtml/a1

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Finished watching The Wire a few weeks ago and just read through the thread.b, 21b, 21I was surprised to see no one mention this:b, 21b, 21a href="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ksUNm6TZ1rQ" target="_blank"1http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ksUNm6TZ1rQ/a1b, 21b, 21Where you see Kenard as the kid who is sayin "Yo my turn to be Omar" at the murder scene after the shootout at a Barksdale stash house.b, 21b, 21Ties in so well to his disdain for Omar when he later sees him as "Gimpier than a mu'fucka" not his gun blazing hero.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Finished watching The Wire a few weeks ago and just read through the thread.
    b, 21
    b, 21I was surprised to see no one mention this:
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21Where you see Kenard as the kid who is sayin "Yo my turn to be Omar" at the murder scene after the shootout at a Barksdale stash house.
    b, 21
    b, 21Ties in so well to his disdain for Omar when he later sees him as "Gimpier than a mu'fucka" not his gun blazing hero.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21You sure that's him? I need to watch that episode again.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Finished watching The Wire a few weeks ago and just read through the thread.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21Where you see Kenard as the kid who is sayin "Yo my turn to be Omar" at the murder scene after the shootout at a Barksdale stash house.
    b, 21
    b, 21Ties in so well to his disdain for Omar when he later sees him as "Gimpier than a mu'fucka" not his gun blazing hero.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21You sure that's him? I need to watch that episode again.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Yeah, it's him. I didn't catch that until my second viewing of that season (after season 5 had ended).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    /a1
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21You sure that's him? I need to watch that episode again.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Yeah, it's him. I didn't catch that until my second viewing of that season (after season 5 had ended).
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Right--Simon or Pelecanos confirmed it in one of the commentaries.

• Kenard Da God!b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I finished The Wire two days ago, and I just read through this thread. The Simon/Burns series has become one of my favorite TV shows, but in retrospect, since I don't watch much television, that shouldn't mean much to anyone else. I'm just glad that by-the-boards TV cop-flotsam was thoroughly sonned for 5 years.b, 21b, 21Thoughts:b, 21b, 21Without knowing that The Wire's Fifth Season was squeezed for episodes, I got the sense that "more with less" was also a theme for its real-life production. The first season had to bother with introductions, but it was essentially 1) cops and 2) the drug trade. The first season even had the time to threw in some sensationalism; Kima's sex scene comes to mind, although lord knows I didn't mind it. But as the layers built up through the seasons, the fifth year not only had to work within its own story arc (the newsroom), but it also needed to wrap up the plot and myriad subplots. In ten-point-five episodes? The outcome wasn't perfect, but it was as perfect as any hour-long American TV drama has any right to be. I think as we reflect upon at this series, we will remember it fondly for its ability to transcend its genre trappings to project a sense of realism. This show substantially touched upon every necessary entity of a city-bound drug problem. In 60 episodes.b, 21b, 21I wasn't turned off by the S5 newsroom milieu. The Jayson Blairish angle was about as close as the series got to Law & Order territory, with the latter's lazy, "ripped from the headlines" regurgitations. Yet despite the limited time with which to flesh out the micro-arc, it played out better in practice than on paper, as the superior writing held serve. And look: the newsroom element was a necessary focus, regardless of the Simon-as-disgruntled-employee pretext. The fact that I was fully unaware of his genuine bias against The Sun invariably aided my arrival at this conclusion, but I suppose that's my inherent reward for not stalking David Simon and Ed Burns.b, 21b, 21Best actor on the series? Steve Earle. He absolutely nailed, well, his own life. He's not supposed to NOT unnerve a viewer. So for him to have received a bit of Strutter criticism - for what is essentially the efficacy of his portrayal - is nonsensical.b, 21b, 21I don't understand why the Michelle Paress was getting so much flak on here for her portrayal of Alma. She played the role written for her - a bit part as a young, go-getter reporter - as thus she wasn't distracting to me. She wasn't a major character in the series, and there wasn't enought time to flesh her out. Be's that way, sometimes. The acting on this series has rarely bothered me, other than the work of some of the jamokes in the 2nd season.b, 21b, 21The biggest problem presented by the "serial killer" invention was that I never believed that McNulty and Freamon as characters would have been party to such an act without at least fully thinking it through; that's Herc territory. It was a contrivance that, like "Hamsterdam," was more engaging and well-handled than it probably should have been.b, 21b, 21After the first season, The Wire seemed to use the grant of a police wiretap as a climax that turned rote by the fifth season. Like "oh shit! The wire's back up!" as if that wasn't a mere accessory in service of a greater goal. Maybe the the series bore the name "Baltimore," there wouldn't have been the urge to justify its actual, predestined moniker.b, 21b, 21Despite the annoying F-Rola one-man-sandwich-board-band and general sense of Strutter disdain for the 5th season, I think the parting year holds its own. 4-4.25 out of 5, and 4.75 overall. A series the Xers can be proud of.b, 21b, 21b, 21Lastly:b, 21b, 21/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21if we still had the survey function we could poll people's preferences on the 5 Wire theme versions.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Mine (Waits and the Nevilles are neck-and-neck):b, 211. The Blind Boys of Mississippi (1st season)b, 212. Tom Waits (2)b, 213. The Neville Brothers (3)b, 214. Steve Earle (5)b, 215. DoMaJe (4)

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    i liked season 4 song most.b, 21Istill have towatchs 5 ( willdo so next week)b, 21I just finished rewatching season 1-3b, 21and I discovered lots of things i missed during the first runb, 211. snoop is a girl (lol)b, 212. Rawls in the gay bar? ( wtf)

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    what I didnt really understand, was the whole stringer bell snitching thing,b, 21what was he trying to do?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21what I didnt really understand, was the whole stringer bell snitching thing,
    b, 21what was he trying to do?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21He was trying to get Avon sent back to prison as a way to resolve their power-sharing dilemma in a way that didn't involve having him assassinated. b, 21b, 21See also when Tony Soprano did the same with the character of Feech.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Season 5? Been there done that,
    it wasnt as good as the rest,
    but I had a couple of good laughs (the whole
    season felt more like comedy to me)
    i was feeling the cheesy Mcnulty ending too,
    Now what doggies? Anything watchable on Tv??

• Season 5? Been there done that,
    it wasnt as good as the rest,
    but I had a couple of good laughs (the whole
    season felt more like comedy to me)
    i was feeling the cheesy Mcnulty ending too,
    Now what doggies? Anything watchable on Tv??

Awesome avatar.

• Watching season 5 on my new big flat TV.
    I'm not even as mad at it as I was (and I wasn't as mad at it then as some of you guys).
    I'm not mad at Herm for downloading anymore though... haha.

I concur, that avatar is so trill on so many levels!

• I'm not mad at Herm for downloading anymore though... haha.

Ha ha! I forgot about that! You were like the Crusader For Hip Hop Wire Justice!

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    Thx, I had to take a pic of my Tv.

Now what can I do about my Post The_Wire Blues?
    I already thought about rewatching the whole thing.

• Thx, I had to take a pic of my Tv.

Now what can I do about my Post The_Wire Blues?

Have you read The Corner yet?

• Have you read Homicide[/b] yet?

Got "The Corner" lined up once I'm done with this one. I was ill-prepared for how much content made it into The Wire, verbatim. It's been like a very fun (?) prequel...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Have read both and they definitely inform The Wire in all kinds of ways. Have yet to properly watch Homocide.

Had seen The Corner before reading the book and recently started watching it again but unable to get through it. Good show, but as a stand-alone imo...it really falls short of what the book expresses. Not trying to turn anyone off it - it is definitely worth checking out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I got the DVD box set jammy for Xmas. It's been a veritable Wire-fest ever since. I even started getting my mom into it while I was back east, but she ultimately decided that it's "too depressing."

More Wire nostalgia, pictures from the abandoned soundstage in Baltimore:

http://community.livejournal.com/abandonedplaces/1510134.html

• More Wire nostalgia, pictures from the abandoned soundstage in Baltimore:

http://community.livejournal.com/abandonedplaces/1510134.html

pretty cool. Kind of makes you wonder why they don't set up an ebay account and make some loot selling props from the show. At least do it for charity.

• haha