WORST SONG OF THE YEAR (cast your vote)

Comments

• I love how its racist because of the "context" when the only context to me is I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO. And I don't know if its his accent or if its because he's a kid (saw his picture on the internets) or what, but when he yells "AY BAY BAY!!" its sounds like an excited MR kid to me. But I'm not suprised that you retards are getting offended by my calling something retarded. I'd be offended too.

AY BAY BAY!

BTW, arguing about this shit is AYBAYBAY too.

I no longer give a damn if you like Ay Bay Bay or not. Now I'm wondering why you think it is so ludicrous for someone to expect you to be "connected" enough with black culture to not so irresponsibly disrespect it.

And before anyone claims that I'm holding up Ay Bay Bay or Southern rap at large as some all-encompassing representation of black American culture...I'm not. But through a discussion of that song and the scene it comes from, I sensed a whole lot of racism coming not just from Dizzy, but others on here as well.

Where do I start getting connected? Maybe I should change my name to something more "African-American" sounding... like RASHEID! And then what comes next? Oh yeah, move to Texas and spend all my time in rap clubs trying to be "down". And then I'll write about all my experiences in an article that nobody reads to prove how down I am. And then if thats not enough, I'll make a list of my favorite rappers, and I'll make most of them obscure enough that even rabid rap fans have never heard of them. In fact, I'll make some up, just to show how CONNECTED TO THE BLACK EXPERIENCE I am. And if anybody challenges my sincerity, I'll call them a racist. If anybody makes fun of a song I like, I'll call them a racist. if anybody calls me white-- ME!-- I'll call them a racist. And then I'll tell them they just don't understand because I'm a down ass whiteboy thats beaten the odds. I've done it! hooray! And then late at night when everybody is asleep I'll look it the mirror and punch my evil whiteboy face over and over again while I weep, because I grew up without a father figure. I'll pass out on the bathroom tile and the next morning check the internet first thing, just in case I have to keep it real before my morning piss and jack off session.

Is that about right? Harvey, I can't give you a dad, but I can give you a hug. Open up to me.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Y'all just love the hatt don't you...

I am probably the only person here who is interested in checking out the Hurricane Chris album. He has a surprisingly hot verse on the remix of Ay Bay Bay.

Also, I heard a lot of these songs y'all are talking about on mixtapes before I even knew people had heard them (probably before they were on mtv/bet, I don't watch much), so I think a lot of you are wrong in assuming these songs were created especially for music video television. Make your own opinion on the songs, that's fine, it's not gonna ruin my day or anything, but just realize how ridiculous some of you seem making these crazy judgments on people who like (or don't like) Ay Bay Bay or whatever. It's just a song, nothing to get so bent out of shape over. It will be gone from the airwaves soon enough and you will have some new shit to complain about.

You know something - I agree with you to a certain point about not getting bent out of shape about a song....but when a song like this does well - music industry types look for the next piece of trash just like it. this does not help in music progression.[/b]...that's why shit's been so stagnant and we've been hearing awful shit like this for the past few years. I so don't want to make a comment about your being amped to check out the Hurricane Chris album....but seriously....you're amped to check out the Hurricane Chris album? At least say you're not going to buy it...........

oh, come on. there is more music available to you now than there has ever been in the past and its easier for you to get. surely one as iconoclastic and cutting edge as the one Woimsah is not relying on radio or MTV to provide him with music. i mean, from a guy who was championing mono and esthero as examples of the best female recording artists of the last 20 years, your disdain for "awful shit like this" is truly mind-boggling. Music will progress (whatever that means) regardless of what does or does not get played in any given media outlet.

Maybe instead of the broad term "music" I should have said rap/hip hop?? Not a good comparison with the Mono/Esthero argument - all I said about them was that they're good female artists. Maybe you don't like them - but neither the music of Mono or Esthero or artists like em have really conjured up the arguments that "artists" like Hurricane Chris have due to their music all sounding overwhelmingly the same. So maybe now you better understand what I meant? There's definitely a ton of music out there right now - some good some bad. But in hip hop - the main outlet via the major labels is sticking to what they think works - putting out tracks Lean Like A Cholo, Party Like A Rockstar, and Ay Bay Bay. And that's not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.

• i'm sorry for even attempting to get into this thread. my only advice for HC is that you need to pick a cause worth fighting for. your like the joseph mccarthy of soulstrut, or better yet the Chris Hanson of soulstrut. this is a forum that is basically dedicated to people who appreciate black music, right? stop trying to play "i gotcha" every time someone expresses a view that you might possibly have a shot at construing as being racist. its sad.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.

Your repeated references to "progress" and "moving forward" are probably the only funny things in an otherwise saddening thread.

Bravo barista boy.

• not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.

Your repeated references to "progress" and "moving forward" are probably the only funny things in an otherwise saddening thread.

Bravo barista boy.

Easy there Jethro, I learned last year that its not OK to make fun of hard as fuck rap fans for being baristas. And if you think being a barist is soft then you have no idea how gangster it can be trying to serve up a piping hot mocha latte WHILE conforming to OSHA standards.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    And that's not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.
    detailed 5 step plan of moving music forward plz

Bravo barista boy.

yep - right on cue with something unfunny to boot. dude, just shut it down or turn it off or whatever. shit's corny.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Bravo barista boy.

Faux Rillz, you really aren't familiar with this sort of concept surrounding rap music, so I would stay out of this conversation if I were you.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Bravo barista boy.

Easy there Jethro, I learned last year that its not OK to make fun of hard as fuck rap fans for being baristas. And if you think being a barist is soft then you have no idea how gangster it can be trying to serve up a piping hot mocha latte WHILE conforming to OSHA standards.
    A fan!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Where do I start getting connected? Maybe I should change my name to something more "African-American" sounding... like RASHEID! And then what comes next? Oh yeah, move to Texas and spend all my time in rap clubs trying to be "down". And then I'll write about all my experiences in an article that nobody reads to prove how down I am. And then if thats not enough, I'll make a list of my favorite rappers, and I'll make most of them obscure enough that even rabid rap fans have never heard of them. In fact, I'll make some up, just to show how CONNECTED TO THE BLACK EXPERIENCE I am. And if anybody challenges my sincerity, I'll call them a racist. If anybody makes fun of a song I like, I'll call them a racist. if anybody calls me white-- ME!-- I'll call them a racist. And then I'll tell them they just don't understand because I'm a down ass whiteboy thats beaten the odds. I've done it! hooray! And then late at night when everybody is asleep I'll look it the mirror and punch my evil whiteboy face over and over again while I weep, because I grew up without a father figure. I'll pass out on the bathroom tile and the next morning check the internet first thing, just in case I have to keep it real before my morning piss and jack off session.

Is that about right? Harvey, I can't give you a dad, but I can give you a hug. Open up to me.

Only thing that's accurate in its derision is the "Rashied" thing. Yep, I made a mistake by using it as a by-line (only) back when I was still young and stupid. And now y'all bring it up every 5 minutes so obviously I'm paying some sort of penance for it.

But all that other shit...sadly sounds like your only way to envision a white person who knows enough black people for it to actually matter.

I don't know why you think a white person has to hate himself and all other whites just to be able to point out racism.

I have no idea why you think I grew up without a father?

And I really don't go to rap clubs all that often...like once a month...but I guess that's just another case of you trying to pigeonhole this music into being something that exists in a cage that you can quickly dismiss as something you'd never be interested in. God forbid that black culture actually exist outside of clubs for any given person to experience.

• ten Black strutters

now THAT'S funny.

• not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.

Bravo barista boy.

A fan!

I'll admit, I lOL'd.

• God forbid that black culture actually exist outside of clubs for any given person to experience.

Well now, thats ironic.

• Bravo barista boy.

You have got it all kinds of twitted.

He is a mountain climber. Who plays an electric guitar.

• Maybe instead of the broad term "music" I should have said rap/hip hop?? Not a good comparison with the Mono/Esthero argument - all I said about them was that they're good female artists. Maybe you don't like them - but neither the music of Mono or Esthero or artists like em have really conjured up the arguments that "artists" like Hurricane Chris have due to their music all sounding overwhelmingly the same. So maybe now you better understand what I meant? There's definitely a ton of music out there right now - some good some bad. But in hip hop - the main outlet via the major labels is sticking to what they think works - putting out tracks Lean Like A Cholo, Party Like A Rockstar, and Ay Bay Bay. And that's not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.

So by referring to Hurricane Chris as an artist in parentheses, I assume you are doubting his status as an artist?

And Ay Bay Bay sounds nothing like Party Like a Rockstar. If you don't actually listen to rap, I could understand how you might think they sound identical. How revealing of you.

• God forbid that black culture actually exist outside of clubs for any given person to experience.

Well now, thats ironic.

I'm saying. Didn't this embarassing thread start with Harvey saying this music did [/b] need to be experienced in a club in order to be understood?

the boy has won the argument...with himself.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    God forbid that black culture actually exist outside of clubs for any given person to experience.

Well now, thats ironic.

I'm saying. Didn't this embarassing thread start with Harvey saying this music did [/b] need to be experienced in a club in order to be understood?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    crank dat, party like a rockstar, ay bay bay, etc, are silly songs. 'nuff said.

FOR REAL. Can we back up a second and just recognize that even if you don't like it, the music we're really arguing about here is some goofy and fun stuff? I mean really, it's pretty absurd to be fighting over music that's done tongue in cheek in the first place. It's silly, it's fun, if you don't like it, move on.

• Maybe instead of the broad term "music" I should have said rap/hip hop?? Not a good comparison with the Mono/Esthero argument - all I said about them was that they're good female artists. Maybe you don't like them - but neither the music of Mono or Esthero or artists like em have really conjured up the arguments that "artists" like Hurricane Chris have due to their music all sounding overwhelmingly the same. So maybe now you better understand what I meant? There's definitely a ton of music out there right now - some good some bad. But in hip hop - the main outlet via the major labels is sticking to what they think works - putting out tracks Lean Like A Cholo, Party Like A Rockstar, and Ay Bay Bay. And that's not really helping shit move forward in this form of music.

So by referring to Hurricane Chris as an artist in parentheses, I assume you are doubting his status as an artist?

And Ay Bay Bay sounds nothing like Party Like a Rockstar. If you don't actually listen to rap, I could understand how you might think they sound identical. How revealing of you.

well, they both suck; that's what they have in common.

if you go back up the thread you'll see it was actually the riders for these "songs" like Harbey that lumped them into a group, thus "proving" a common racist undertone to our critiques.

the thread is about the "WORST SONGS OF THE YEAR." that's why Ay Bay Bay, Rosckstar and Crank That are all in here. ironically, it was the likes of Harby and the shit-song-defenders that lumped them into a monolith in order to reveal some imaginary nefarious plot aimed at discrediting the Southern rap club dance scene.

And Ay Bay Bay sound nothing like Party Like A Rockstar. How revealing of you. Dude....I mean.....dude. HOW REVEALING OF YOU?!??! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE SHOP BOYS AND HURRICANE CHRIS. How revealing of me? Doubting his status as an artist? Dude tell me everything there is to know about you. Are you the flying spaghetti monster?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    imaginary nefarious plot aimed at discrediting the Southern rap club dance scene.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    God forbid that black culture actually exist outside of clubs for any given person to experience.

Well now, thats ironic.

It's like some horribly awry version of that bit Stephen Colbert does where he debates himself.

Well now, thats ironic.

Y'all are such fuckin' dimwits, I really need to quit wasting my time on y'all.

But here goes...

1. The "God forbid" comment was made on the behalf of Dizzy. I'm all for hateurs being exposed to underground goodness as long as there is any hope for those hateurs to ever see the errors in their hating ways.

2. The context of Ay Bay Bay isn't just what's been bumping in the club the past couple of months, but what has been driving hip-hop at least as far back as 2 Live Crew and early Step Daddy. It's like people have to erase a good portion of the history of hip-hop (adios early South Bronx mc's repeating party slogans, adios Planet Rock, never heard of ya Mantronix, etc.) in order to even pretend to act surprised by the latest trends in Southern rap.

3. The suggestion that you might want to consider a down South rap club experience before you dismiss a song such as Ay Bay Bay is really reserved for just those who have already shown a tendency to be beyond clueless on the topic of Southern rap. One shouldn't have to go to a club to figure this shit out. But the club for y'all apparently represents your only possible in to gaining any insight on this shit. So that's the example I provided for you.

some imaginary nefarious plot aimed at discrediting the Southern rap club dance scene.

So I have to imagine that it's being ridiculously mocked on the regular by a certain circle of SF rap enthusiasts???

• So by referring to Hurricane Chris as an artist in parentheses, I assume you are doubting his status as an artist?

And Ay Bay Bay sound nothing like Party Like A Rockstar. How revealing of you. Dude....I mean.....dude. HOW REVEALING OF YOU?!??! WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE SHOP BOYS AND HURRICANE CHRIS. How revealing of me? Doubting his status as an artist? Dude tell me everything there is to know about you. Are you the flying spaghetti monster?

What are you smoking? I just want to make sure I never try it...

What are you smoking? I just want to make sure I never try it...

Good one...

• Actually, rootless, I saw it coming from both sides, to be perfectly honest. One side saying these are all songs in a similar vein (the harvey/defender side), and the other saying they are garbage songs that sound identical. These are two different things in my opinion. Either way, I was responding specifically to this woimsah dipshit, not anybody else.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    good lord this thread

• good lord this thread

I long ago donned my "FREE YACUB!" white tee and called it a day.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    But the winner is Got It From My Mama right?