WORST SONG OF THE YEAR (cast your vote)

Comments

• so you're old enough to have gone through your pop years but you're posting a thread which is basically about pop music and then get asshurt when someone who actually knows what he's talking about informs your clueless ass about something? did i get that right?

A Fan!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    'til infinity.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Then again I'm lucky enough to have little kids like Toyz-R-Noz to clear things up for me. Yay! Guess what, little boy, I'm old enough to have already gone through my pop years a long time ago. When I was a little boy like you I suppose I expected my daddy to give a shit about Run DMC, and for some reason no amount of explaining could convince him that it didn't suck shit. And for some reason, telling him all the kids were into it didn't really make much of a difference.

One doubts that your father was placing himself in social situations where he was likely to encounter people that actually like rap and declaring "Peter Piper" THE WORST RECORD OF THE YEAR.

• Then again I'm lucky enough to have little kids like Toyz-R-Noz to clear things up for me. Yay! Guess what, little boy, I'm old enough to have already gone through my pop years a long time ago. When I was a little boy like you I suppose I expected my daddy to give a shit about Run DMC, and for some reason no amount of explaining could convince him that it didn't suck shit. And for some reason, telling him all the kids were into it didn't really make much of a difference.

One doubts that your father was placing himself in social situations where he was likely to encounter people that actually like rap and declaring "Peter Piper" THE WORST RECORD OF THE YEAR.

One doesn't doubt that at all.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    after watching the award show last night out of sheer curiousity to see what was going on nowadays i think what i suspected about pop culture several years ago is proving itself true.

this movie is going to be considered prophetic in 10 years or so...

and also after reading the arguments in this thread???

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

You know when someone shouts out Don Quixote that its

Seriously, tho, Sean Kingston is unfadeable. The guy did time when he was eleven years old, and now he's got the best song of the summer. For real, if you don't like Sean Kingston, then you don't like Rap music or Black people & you should go kill yourself now. And leave me all your money. And your records. So I can go flip them at Good Records for store credit.

peace

h

• dude it's a crap pop song that was actually made for MTV.

it's not like the mainstream media has co-opted some pure piece of art. this song was made for the radio and that's where it's meant to be experienced.

Your assumptions are false. I am sure this has been explained to the Dizzys and Chads of Soulstrut on many occassions, but I'll run it down again. Every single one of the records you guys are hating on were local, independent records that mtv, major labels and white people had to play catch up with. There are hundreds of records like these that do not cross over every year. Now maybe this doesn't validate their existance, but it sort of throws the "manufactured pop music" thesis out the window. They are distinct reflections of and for their community. And in a lot of ways, these are the last records of that nature being produced in this country. In any genre.

and Marco, all due respect but "DJing rap at a southern club" and "DJing at a southern rap club" are two very different things.

All true. I can at least respect most of the local independent stuff that ends up blowing up. It's the vocoder synthpop that really drives me crackers. At the same time:

A) A lot of these local artists are trying to push their music so that it blows up ala Soulja Boy, Hurricane Chris, etc. (not that that's a bad thing), and given that, I think we all have the right to an opinion on it.

B) I've heard/been sent a lot of this local stuff that gets pushed, and honestly, for the most part the music getting played outside of a local context (not necessarily the radio hits, but the stuff that at least gets some circulation through friends, internet sources, etc.) is often the best there is in my opinion, which is sad. Which is really just to say that if you don't like Hurricane Chris, you're probably really not going to like most of the other music played at a Southern rap club.

C) The whole aesthetic of Southern rap music is really completely different from what most people here are familiar with. That's not even saying I understand it fully, because I don't. I think, even though Harvey grossly understated his point and unnecessarily brought a whole lot of other junk into the conversation, that the important point here is that even if you don't like the music, and you have every right to, there is a culture and orientation around it that outsiders just don't understand. IMO this is all irrelevent to whether you like the music or not, but you do have to recognize it, just like you would with any other genre of music.

Thank you spelunk for echoing my thoughts exactly.

I live in the south, I am familiar with SOME southern rap, I have DJ'd SOME southern rap, and I actually like SOME southern rap. I would never claim to be a big part of any "southern rap context," but I am familiar with ENOUGH of the music to speak on it without being labeled "disconnected" simply because I don't spend my weekends at the local Southern Rap Club. And let's be real: I'm sure there's lots of Southern Rap Fans on this board who love the music but have never set foot in a Southern Rap Club either, so Harvey C: please - stop with the judgments, especially racial ones, and especially about people you've never met in real life.

In any case, the main point I was making was that it's ok for someone to not like a song - whether regional rap or mainstream pop - without immediately being accused of being racist. I've heard plenty of white people dismiss bhangra and reggaeton out of hand, but that doesn't mean I'm reporting them to the Anti Defamation League or the National Council of La Raza. If they don't like it, that's their prerogative.

The fact that G*ry's - uh, Egbert's- musical taste was being taken to the mat via the race card by no less than three people in this thread struck me as ludicrous, so I thought it deserved mention. And the way the discussion progressed - thanks mostly to HarveyC's rather sweeping and unfounded generalizations - only reinforced my opinion.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've heard plenty of white people dismiss bhangra and reggaeton out of hand, but that doesn't mean I'm reporting them to the Anti Defamation League or the National Council of La Raza.

Bhangra = Jewish? I was not aware of this.

• seriously if no one ever saw what dude looked like would anyone feign interest in this song?

• I've heard plenty of white people dismiss bhangra and reggaeton out of hand, but that doesn't mean I'm reporting them to the Anti Defamation League or the National Council of La Raza.

I tried to find an anti-Punjabi-defamation organization to namedrop online, but after a few fruitless searches and the realization I'd spent way too much time on this stupid topic already, I just assumed the ADL would probably ride for the Sikhs in a pinch.

Oh snap!
    http://www.adl.org/PresRele/HatCr_51/4261_51.htm

• I've heard plenty of white people dismiss bhangra and reggaeton out of hand, but that doesn't mean I'm reporting them to the Anti Defamation League or the National Council of La Raza.

the ADL is a human rights org; it doesn't just ride for the Jews.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've heard plenty of white people dismiss bhangra and reggaeton out of hand, but that doesn't mean I'm reporting them to the Anti Defamation League or the National Council of La Raza.

Palestinians too?

:5pager:

Kidding!

Palestinians too?

:5pager:

Kidding!

Yes!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The fact that G*ry's - uh, Egbert's- musical taste was being taken to the mat via the race card by no less than three people in this thread struck me as ludicrous, so I thought it deserved mention.

The true SoulStrut travesty is that only three people took him to task.

• The fact that G*ry's - uh, Egbert's- musical taste was being taken to the mat via the race card by no less than three people in this thread struck me as ludicrous, so I thought it deserved mention.

True. I'd hate for this board to lose its stature as the primary internet HUB for the mayonnaise to call the bread white.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

The fact that G*ry's - uh, Egbert's- musical taste was being taken to the mat via the race card by no less than three people in this thread struck me as ludicrous, so I thought it deserved mention.

True. I'd hate for this board to lose its stature as the primary internet HUB for the mayonnaise to call the bread white.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Disconnected from local bread experience

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Disconnected from local bread experience

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Those census stats are ridiculously

Austin is brown, then white, then black, then others.

Next time ask a person...not a US government agency.

And not liking a song doesn't make you the object of Emil's ire.

Placing categories of good people, who know music first and foremost as a communal thing rather than as the target of self-imprtant, Euro-derived criticism, as beneath you and even going as far as tagging them as "retarded"...that's what does the trick.

In a Texas rap club, Ay Bay Bay gets played within the context of Fat Pat, HAWK, Lil Keke, Lil Troy, Lil Boosie, Webbie, Lil Jon, Trae, Z-Ro, Young Jeezy, Lil Wayne, Big Moe, UGK, etc.

It's even candy among that bunch, but it still fits just fine.

Oh yeah, have y'all heard the Chingo Bling remix?

Probably not.

Anyway, this shit is hardly confined to clubs. Lil dudes come up studying their DJ Screw history. The big songs down here, like Wannabe a Baller, are epic beyond your wildest imaginations. Mainstream folks in Austin pretty much avoid the Dove Springs, Montopolis, Eastside, Northeast, and Rundberg sections of town where it all goes down. So like some of y'all, they're oblivious to the traditions.

Who do you expect to tell you when you are being racially insensitive?

That's another for expecting non-white people to pay you the honor of informing you when you're acting out of line.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

I am puzzled as to why you think the Census Bureau would fudge the numbers to make the capital city of Texas appear more white. There is absolutely nothing to gain.

See, that's pretty much what the Census' job is: Asking people questions about themselves and where they live.
    And yes, if you want to ask a person, I guess I'll ask myself. I have been to Austin many times. I have been all over Austin and the surrounding area. Austin is predominately white.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It does make sense that there would be a whole lot of illegals there that wouldn't participate in the census though.

I am puzzled as to why you think the Census Bureau would fudge the numbers to make the capital city of Texas appear more white. There is absolutely nothing to gain.

See, that's pretty much what the Census' job is: Asking people questions about themselves and where they live.
    And yes, if you want to ask a person, I guess I'll ask myself. I have been to Austin many times. I have been all over Austin and the surrounding area. Austin is predominately white.

How many undocumented people from Central America do you think live in this city at any given time?

Actual numbers would be staggering.

Also, city planners have done quite a job of gentrifying minority neighborhoods in Central Austin, with blacks typically moving north to Pflugerville/Round Rock and Latinos to the sprawling south, with each direction every bit a part of Austin...just zoned out of census figures.

However you slice it, there's no way in hell that Austin is currently 70% white.

I just heard that Soulja Boy "Crank That" thing today and that shit is horrid. "Ay Bay Bay" is decent compared to that.

Once again southern rap proves to be all BULLSHIT
    Agree SOULJA BOY is SHIT!!!
    AY BAY BAY is WACK!!! AS Hell!!!!

Hahahahha...... Norah Jones makes better rapp music than Soulja Boy huh?

Just give it up, dude....

• Who do you expect to tell you when you are being racially insensitive?

Sigh... I guess you, Shied. I'm sure my non-white peers thank you in advance for taking that burden off their back.

That's another for expecting non-white people to pay you the honor of informing you when you're acting out of line.

It's not so much that I expect non-white people to keep me posted as to how racially sensitive I am. It's more about how comical it is to see so many white people on this board accusing other white people of being racist no matter how slight - or in this case, completely baseless - the provocation.

In any case HarveyC - I'd love it if you would report to the "post a pic of you happy as fuck" thread with a nice photo of yourself having fun. Despite our differences of opinion, I'm sure you're a nice guy and I'd hate to think you're this salty off the internets.

• The fact that G*ry's - uh, Egbert's- musical taste was being taken to the mat via the race card by no less than three people in this thread struck me as ludicrous, so I thought it deserved mention.

Who do you expect to tell you when you are being racially insensitive?

Do you ever stop?

This had nothing to do with racial insensitivity and everything to do with taste that cuts across racial lines. Do all black people line up to praise Hurricane Chris? If black folks dislike Hurricane Chris and have no agency within the local hardcore-people experience, they must, by your definition, also be racially insensitive. You would never claim that, though, would you?

Then again I'm lucky enough to have little kids like Toyz-R-Noz to clear things up for me. Yay! Guess what, little boy, I'm old enough to have already gone through my pop years a long time ago. When I was a little boy like you I suppose I expected my daddy to give a shit about Run DMC, and for some reason no amount of explaining could convince him that it didn't suck shit. And for some reason, telling him all the kids were into it didn't really make much of a difference.

My dad would get pissed off when I listened to Wu and Biggie all the time when they came out and bitterly complained that rap just wasn't the same as it was in the days of Run DMC and Young MC...

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

How many undocumented people from Central America do you think live in this city at any given time?

Actual numbers would be staggering.

Also, city planners have done quite a job of gentrifying minority neighborhoods in Central Austin, with blacks typically moving north to Pflugerville/Round Rock and Latinos to the sprawling south, with each direction every bit a part of Austin...just zoned out of census figures.

However you slice it, there's no way in hell that Austin is currently 70% white.
    The numbers I gave are for the Austin-Round Rock MSA, not just the city of Austin, so they do include the surrounding area, and the participating Hispanic population of those areas. They are not zoned out of the figures. Here are the counties included in the numbers: Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis, Williamson.
    As far as illegal immigrants living in the area that would not participate in the Census, point taken. However, by the numbers, one in five Hispanics in the Austin MSA would have to be an undocumented illegal immigrant for the proportion of their population to outnumber the non-hispanic white population. I can't say with certainty that that is impossible, but it is improbable. The best estimates of the San Diego-San Marcos, CA MSA illegal immigrants puts the number around 8.5% of the total population, and given SD's proximity to Mexico, I would hesitate to say that there is a larger proportion in Austin, TX.

• It doesn't matter if you're black or white, it's shitty ass made for tv and radio pop-tastic rap and rock that I could care less about. I only had to hear/see all these songs once or twice to know that the majority of America(all colors) has horrible taste in music. In fact, every country that has a mainstream mentality will have the same stupid songs, but in different languages/genres....how the hell do you explain that country music is the number one music format in the USA....horrible, horrible taste times 10. But it's a good thing it's set up like this or all the really good music would never be made. I love to read these boards, a good ole fashion shouting match makes for some excellent reading.