WORST SONG OF THE YEAR (cast your vote)

Comments

• to declare that Ay Bay Bay is "trash" and "garbage" is fundamentally a racist accusation

-e

^^^^^ I'm sorry dude but this will provide me laughs for days. ^^^^^

If you really can't see how ridiculous a statement this is, I just don't know what to tell you....

Well, you're quoting it out of context of the larger argument. It's not just that "Ay Bay Bay" is "trash" and "garbage." It's also that songs with a very similar aesthetic to it like "Crank Dat" and "Party Like a Rockstar" are similarly "trash" and "garbage." If you can't see the links there, then you're ignoring them willfully.

-e

no, bro listen: you see the "links" between these songs as being that they're all made by Black people in the South.

to normal people the "links" = that they ALL SUCK as songs.

I don't like Travis Tritt. nor do I like Clint Black. am I racist against white people? no, I just don't like country music.

do you see the difference?

if Ay Bay Bay and Crank That were just two examples of Southern rap, all of which I hated because it is made by Black people, then yes, this is racist.

but these just happen to be some of the shittiest songs to emerge from an otherwise rich music scene in years.

but you and Harv-chaic are not gonna get away this easy; you are attempting to use race to obscure the fundamental point here, which is that you guys are riding for some of the weakest fucking songs out this year!!!

• I sometimes find it hard to hear the big difference between a song like "Ay Bay Bay" and a lot of funk 45s. Some folks like primitive synth beats and call-and-response rapps, some people like off-key singing and chicken scratch guitar.

I think DizzyBull posts more about what he doesn't like than what he does like!

I was goint to make the "chorus-based rap hit" vs. "reptitive funk 45" comparison myself, glad somebody else did it.

And the fetishizing black culture thing is also an impossible argument on a board full of white guys who adore balck music from the 60s and 70s.

I also think the use of terms like "trash" and "garbage" and "retarded" used to describe songs is condescending to the listeners. Forget some "specific segment of the black community" for a second, because I like some of these songs, so what are you trying to say about me (or anybody else), you know? What I mean to say is, you aren't saying something condescending to some specific segment of the black community, you are saying it about any random person in the world who enjoys these songs (point being it's not a specifically racist thing to say necessairly, just overly judgmental of anybody who may be into this stuff). There is no specific group of people these songs have to or do appeal to, I'm a perfect example. I don't frequent the "southern rap clubs" or anything, I'm white, I am not involved in many of the things these songs' subject matter refers to, I just enjoy the music. I find specific qualities in this music that appeal to me and I listen to the music for those qualities and have no problems with it. At the same time, I enjoy a lot of music that some of you who are hatting on Ay Bay Bay actually do like. Some people just can't seam to understand the concept of just liking music with no pre-conceived idea of what the music is, and that is kinda sad on a board full of people who focus a large part of their life on discovering and listening to different types of music in different genres from different generations.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

I don't like Travis Tritt. nor do I like Clint Black. am I racist against white people? no, I just don't like country music.

Thanks to the remaining legacy of centuries of racism, white folks talking about white culture is distinctly different than white folks talking about black culture. I've read your posts before and you're obviously much too smart to ignore that fact.

By the way, the similarities between the songs being hated on is much richer than "songs made by southern black people."

-e

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    this presumes that the only people who enjoy "ay bay bay" and "crank that" (and such) are "a certain segment of the black community." WHICH IS FAR FROM TRUE.

You're right to say that the "black community" I'm speaking about isn't the only community that likes this song. But, that doesn't change the point of my argument at all.

Again, I think anyone is allowed to dislike whatever songs they want to dislike for whatever reasons they want to dislike them. But, the fact that people are vocally calling songs like "Ay Bay Bay," "Crank Dat," and "Party Like a Rockstar" (notably, these are all songs of a similar aesthetic that originate from and resonate with a similar culture) "trash" and "garbage" and "retarded" comes across as somewhat dubious. I really don't care that any of you people don't like these songs, but they come from somewhere and speak to a very specific group of people that most of you aren't connected to. Therefore, for a group of white folks to ruthlessly pass judgment on these specifically black cultural aesthetics, calling it "trash" and "retarded" all because, figuratively speaking, you don't speak the same aesthetic language? I mean, how can that NOT be "racist"?

This doesn't mean anybody that dislikes these songs secretly hates black people or anything. It just means that their understanding of this culture's aesthetics is severely limited and, furthermore, this (lack of) understanding marginalizes the aesthetics of this community. How is not racist to say "My/our aesthetic criteria is superioir to this group's"?

And again, to address the quoted point above, the fact that so many white people have embraced these songs does not necessarily mean that these songs aren't uniquely "black."

I really don't think anybody that dislikes these songs are bad people or are the next reincarnation of Hitler. I just don't think they're thinking very critically about race and culture when they voice their opinions. And, as white people listening to black music, I don't think it's ridiculous for us to think a bit more critically about our engagement with this music.

-e

dizzy brought up a good point - what does it mean if a bunch of us hate on avril's song "girlfriend" or some other unavoidable rocker or country or "white" song? it may mean that we're disconnected from the fanbase, but its in no way is a systematic prejudice against them[/b].
    put it short... DISCONNECTED DOES NOT = RACIST[/b]

on top of that, i'd say that most of the people chiming in here are more familiar with, aka connected to, rap music, or as you say "black music," than they are with the equivalent pop songs coming from the "white side of the dial" - artists like maroon 5, five for fighting, avril, system of a down, or whatever.

• I also think the use of terms like "trash" and "garbage" and "retarded" used to describe songs is condescending to the listeners.

What if it was Yanni? Your position is the same? Fergie? Will you stand by that for "my humps"? because a lot of people liked "my humps". What about Toby Keith? What about Common and Kanye and that one dude talib that people are always insulting? K-Fed? Seriously? OK dude, thats pretty giving of you.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Hurricane Chris sounds like a second rate Chingy.
    That Soulja Boy song isn't even worth the time discussing.

I haven't heard that Hurricane Chris yet but, after reading this CLASSIC Soulstrut thread, I aim to put that right with the quickness.

Soulja Boy is my favourite kind of dumb record. Every time I hear that "YUUUUUAAAAHH!", I just crack a massive grin. Those drums are fuckin' killin' it as well - they sound like they came straight off a Skinny Boyz record.

Across the Atlantic, this has pretty much ran away with my own personal "worst song of the year" award. In a turn of events which I doubt will come as a surprise to most of you, this kid is being hailed in the UK as "the new Lily Allen" (I didn't think we needed a new one) and The Authentic Voice of The Kids. Like the greying, grizzled, curmudgeonly old bastard that I am, I think it's a load of Mockney stage-school bollocks.

• I also think the use of terms like "trash" and "garbage" and "retarded" used to describe songs is condescending to the listeners.

What if it was Yanni? Your position is the same? Fergie? Will you stand by that for "my humps"? because a lot of people liked "my humps". What about Toby Keith? What about Common and Kanye and that one dude talib that people are always insulting? K-Fed? Seriously? OK dude, thats pretty giving of you.

If I say a Yanni song is wack or retarded or something, I stand by the fact that I am accusing anybody who listens to that Yanni song of being a degenerate or an inferior person. I try not to make these accusations though, I try to maintain an objective standpoint on stuff I'm not into. My opinion doesn't always stay objective, no, but at least I'll admit it when I make a comment about something and it shows a certain level of disrespect to people I don't actually know.

It's been said a couple times in the thread already, but there's a big difference between calling something retarded and garbage and syaing "I ain't into that", feel me?

• I don't like Travis Tritt. nor do I like Clint Black. am I racist against white people? no, I just don't like country music.

Thanks to the remaining legacy of centuries of racism, white folks talking about white culture is distinctly different than white folks talking about black culture. I've read your posts before and you're obviously much too smart to ignore that fact.

By the way, the similarities between the songs being hated on is much richer than "songs made by southern black people."

-e

alright I knew my example was poorly-chosen and the use of white music as an example would allow you to obscure the point further. obviously I understand the difference between white folks talking about white culture and white folks talking about black culture.

but my point could just as easily have been made by saying: I don't like Beyonce. Nor do I like Rhianna. both Black artists -- I must be racist. Nope. I just think a lot of contemporary female R&B stars (esp. these two) are corny as fuck.

I repeat: several really, really shitty songs were brought up in this thread. you and Harv wanna say the common link is that they are all Southern rap songs emerging form a distinct Black culture, and thus the colelctive hatred of these songs is rooted in racism.

while I can't speak for anyone but myself (and to a lesser degree Egbert 'cause I know him), I will say that this assumption/accusation is WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I hate whack music, therefore I hate Ay Bay Bay and Crank That. they are poor excuses for music, and to hear you ride for them brings your musical taste into question.

this is a thread on the worst songs of the year. A strong consensus has emerged that Ay Bay Bay and Crank That are in the running. if you wanna say we're all just racist because we are calling out this crappy middle school music for the shit that it is, be my guest. but please understand you sound ridiculous doing so.

but you and Harv-chaic are not gonna get away this easy; you are attempting to use race to obscure the fundamental point here, which is that you guys are riding for some of the weakest fucking songs out this year!!!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

but my point could just as easily have been made by saying: I don't like Beyonce. Nor do I like Rhianna. both Black artists -- I must be racist. Nope. I just think a lot of contemporary female R&B stars (esp. these two) are corny as fuck.

No. The female R&B example would be more complicated because there's no longer an obvious unifying culture that this R&B comes from and resonates with. However, there is[/b] an obvious one here. And, in this thread, it doesn't appear to be a coincidence that these songs that come from this culture are considered "trash" and "retarded."

-e

• but my point could just as easily have been made by saying: I don't like Beyonce. Nor do I like Rhianna. both Black artists -- I must be racist. Nope. I just think a lot of contemporary female R&B stars (esp. these two) are corny as fuck.

No. The female R&B example would be more complicated because there's no longer an obvious unifying culture that this R&B comes from and resonates with. However, there is[/b] an obvious one here. And, in this thread, it doesn't appear to be a coincidence that these songs that come from this culture are considered "trash" and "retarded."

-e

lol. dude.

well, I will agree that it's no "coincidence" that Ay Bay Bay and Crank Dat were discussed in a thread entitled "WORST SONG OF THE YEAR."

definitely not a coincidence.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Did we already have this same debate when "Laffy Taffy" came up?

Just curious.

I have a suspicion that 'round here - the "worst song of the year" is likely going to go to a Southern rap song for at least the next few year (unless there's a Fergie joint in contention).

• I don't know who this Ron Mexico is (color me disconnected) but this might be of interest:

http://ronmexicocity.blogspot.com/2007/08/soulja-boy-tellem-crank-dat-soulja-boy.html

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

-e
    ehhh

i think u could argue its more of a gender thing if a bunch of dudes on here spend time trashing R&B. its silly to say R&B doesn't come from a 'culture' just as much as southern rap

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

-e

I was guilty of this, not too long ago. When I wasn't down with ANY of that south shit. And I understand now, how it could be racist or borderline racist to call it as "garbage". It's just insensitive to do so to another group of peoples.

BUT, I don't think anybody's a racist. It just so happens that both of those songs are from the South, and people obviously grew up with different aesthetic preferences. Some might prefer more cerebral shit as opposed to bounce. It's like to some, D.I.T.C. is gonna get a lot more respect than Soulja Boy in the annals of rap history.

But now I know better than to blindly diss another culture (esp on an internet msg board). You guys gotta understand though, it takes substantially more effort to understand the context. People just don't have time for that shit most of the time, and they'll judge the music for what it is.

• Soulja Boy TellEm's "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" is the runaway winner of the Sambo Sensation 2007 pageant.

It's like the American Idol of cooning.

oh man. if this is written by a Black dude from the South then I'd like to hear Harv' and them essplain his disconnectedness.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    (unless there's a Fergie joint in contention).

Other than that sappy slow one she did which is so forgettable it doesn't grate, does she have any other this year? Is Lumps this year?

How about Got It From My Mama? I'd like to hear why this doesn't deserve to be voted the absolute worst. And I don't give a shit what the drums sound like.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Soulja Boy TellEm's "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" is the runaway winner of the Sambo Sensation 2007 pageant.

oh man. if this is written by a Black dude from the South then I'd like to hear Harv' and them essplain his disconnectedness.
    folks can say that about any black figure in the public eye

• Soulja Boy TellEm's "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" is the runaway winner of the Sambo Sensation 2007 pageant.

folks can say that about any black figure in the public eye

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Soulja Boy TellEm's "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" is the runaway winner of the Sambo Sensation 2007 pageant.

I feel like minstrelsy is to discussions about Black culture what Hitler is to political debates.

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but I just know that my last post is the truth. PEACE.

• I don't know what you guys are talking about, but I just know that my last post is the truth. PEACE.

hahaha responding to your own post as if no one noticed it.

I feel like minstrelsy is to discussions about Black culture what Hitler is to political debates.

Cosine. I found that Ron Mexico blog interesting, especially for the comments, but I have no doubt that some of the posters there are legitimatelyl due to age, race, geography, etc. It doesn't surprise me that someone who prefers a jazz station with a limited playlist would find "Crank Dat" distasteful enough to call it "cooning."

I don't know what you guys are talking about, but I just know that my last post is the truth. PEACE.

hahaha responding to your own post as if no one noticed it.

Hey, shut up! you just mad cuz hyphy is a regional movement, while 2Pac is global. Makaveli biyotch!

• crank dat, party like a rockstar, ay bay bay, etc, are silly songs. 'nuff said.

if you want to make an effort to bring race into this argument, go ahead, but its not like one side is saying "you just don't understand the deep meaning of ay bay bay" while the other side is calling it nonsense. it is nonsense party music. take it or leave it.

btw, isn't the whole east coast shitting on the south about this very subject? is nas a racist?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    jesus fucking christ.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some of y'all are pathetic with your apples and oranges analogies.

For instance...is Nas white?

Anyway, someone says something racist, gets called on it, and then asks..."why would I even be connected to black culture?"...and y'all still want to stick up for him???

On the bright side, maybe it's just a mild case...but IMO Dizzy is definitely racist. Over time, I've clearly seen a pattern of how he hates on sweeping segments of black American art/people. He also absolutely detests the mere idea of another white person actually making ties with black folks enough to be able to recognize the many differences between black and white American cultures.

That Dizzy's racism is written all over his face is old news to me. Whether he can corrct some of his subconscious thoughts from consistently becoming overt acts of disrespect is what I'm really trying to get to with this series of posts.

• I love how its racist because of the "context" when the only context to me is I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO. And I don't know if its his accent or if its because he's a kid (saw his picture on the internets) or what, but when he yells "AY BAY BAY!!" its sounds like an excited MR kid to me. But I'm not suprised that you retards are getting offended by my calling something retarded. I'd be offended too.

AY BAY BAY!

BTW, arguing about this shit is AYBAYBAY too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I love how its racist because of the "context" when the only context to me is I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO. And I don't know if its his accent or if its because he's a kid (saw his picture on the internets) or what, but when he yells "AY BAY BAY!!" its sounds like an excited MR kid to me. But I'm not suprised that you retards are getting offended by my calling something retarded. I'd be offended too.

AY BAY BAY!

I no longer give a damn if you like Ay Bay Bay or not. Now I'm wondering why you think it is so ludicrous for someone to expect you to be "connected" enough with black culture to not so irresponsibly disrespect it.

And before anyone claims that I'm holding up Ay Bay Bay or Southern rap at large as some all-encompassing representation of black American culture...I'm not. But through a discussion of that song and the scene it comes from, I sensed a whole lot of racism coming not just from Dizzy, but others on here as well.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I love how its racist because of the "context" when the only context to me is I HEARD IT ON THE RADIO. And I don't know if its his accent or if its because he's a kid (saw his picture on the internets) or what, but when he yells "AY BAY BAY!!" its sounds like an excited MR kid to me. But I'm not suprised that you retards are getting offended by my calling something retarded. I'd be offended too.

AY BAY BAY!

I no longer give a damn if you like Ay Bay Bay or not. Now I'm wondering why you think it is so ludicrous for someone to expect you to be "connected" enough with black culture to not so irresponsibly disrespect it.

And before anyone claims that I'm holding up Ay Bay Bay or Southern rap at large as some all-encompassing representation of black American culture...I'm not. But through a discussion of that song and the scene it comes from, I sensed a whole lot of racism coming not just from Dizzy, but others on here as well.

Here's an idea: If ten Black strutters will co-sign Ay Bay Bay, then dizzy will have to grow a little Hitler mustache & wear it for a week. If no one co-signs it, then Harvey has to listen to nothing but Welkshake for a month.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I don't know who this Ron Mexico is (color me disconnected) but this might be of interest:

http://ronmexicocity.blogspot.com/2007/08/soulja-boy-tellem-crank-dat-soulja-boy.html

SEE, ALL YOU SOULJABOY HATTERZ ARE BEING PREJUDICED AGAINST THIS DEMOGRAPHIC, TOOOOOO!