WORST SONG OF THE YEAR (cast your vote)

Comments

• One of many mistakes you're making is assuming that Ay Bay Bay is a pop song ala Sexyback. It's not.

So the lesson here is that regional rap hits that crossover > major label pop that hit nationwide straight out the gate.

Well that certainly explains why D4L > R. Kelly.

Southern rap clubs (that you never go to)

Again, your insight into my social calendar is almost extrasensory.

One question: does "DJing rap at a southern club" garner me any credibility points or am I still technically disconnected due to my taste/age/race deficiencies?

Dude, Marco, you are a white guy living in a predomitely white college town...how could you know what a "real, hard as fuck" context is? Harvey, on the other hand...wait harvey is also a white cuy living in a predominately white college town...

• then why is there a video for it, genius?

are you saying that southern rap clubs can't have TVs in them?... you are so disconnected and racist

the video was made for the TVs at southern rap clubs... it got leaked to some white bastard who put it on MTV, thus ruining hurricane chris's true intentions of making "ay bay bay" only for the real headz

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    alright answer me this harv-chaic: the millions of suckers that downloaded this song, the legions of lost middle schoolers that copped the ringtone, the thousands of confused MTV and BET viewers that pushed this "song" into heavy rotation, I'm talking about the people that actually like this "song": are they disconnected, too?

I mean, clearly the vast majority of dude's sales are coming from people who have not had the authentic Hurricane Chris clurrb experience. so since they're liking the jam for what must be the wrong reasons, got any hate for them also?

or is this less a case of "authentic listnership" and more just a case of adults on here calling you out for liking a teenie bopper single and you getting asshurt?

Look, the song initially gained credibility in adult clubs and that's what drove kids to latch onto it.

I don't know why that is so hard for you to comprehend.

It was in the clubs and on mixtapes looong before it ever touched MTV.

But since you are entirely disconnected from such clubs and mixtapes, all you can see is the MTV factor.

And tack onto that your all-too-obvious, sweeping disdain for those who engage in said things without a care in the world whether or not you approve/disapprove.

I'm telling you...addd it up and you are basically defining what it is to be an ugly white American.

And yes, as another white American...I'm asking you to quit that.

Solemarcosa and Dizzy too...

• then why is there a video for it, genius?

are you saying that southern rap clubs can't have TVs in them?... you are so disconnected and racist

the video was made for the TVs at southern rap clubs... it got leaked to some white bastard who put it on MTV, thus ruining hurricane chris's true intentions of making "ay bay bay" only for the real headz

I am sure Hurricane Chris is returning every penny earned from the "non real headz" purchase of the tune also....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One of many mistakes you're making is assuming that Ay Bay Bay is a pop song ala Sexyback. It's not.

So the lesson here is that regional rap hits that crossover > major label pop that hit nationwide straight out the gate.

One question: does "DJing rap at a southern club" garner me any credibility points or am I still technically disconnected due to my taste/age/race deficiencies?

Dude, Marco, you are a white guy living in a predomitely white college town...how could you know what a "real, hard as fuck" context is? Harvey, on the other hand...wait harvey is also a white cuy living in a predominately white college town...

Nowhere in Texas is predominantly white.

Any more before I pack up my desk and go home???

• One of many mistakes you're making is assuming that Ay Bay Bay is a pop song ala Sexyback. It's not.

the racist ass us census bureau says austin is 65% white and 10% black, and that texas as a whole is 71% white, and 11% black... but that was from 2000, maybe it's changed over the last 7 years

• alright answer me this harv-chaic: the millions of suckers that downloaded this song, the legions of lost middle schoolers that copped the ringtone, the thousands of confused MTV and BET viewers that pushed this "song" into heavy rotation, I'm talking about the people that actually like this "song": are they disconnected, too?

I mean, clearly the vast majority of dude's sales are coming from people who have not had the authentic Hurricane Chris clurrb experience. so since they're liking the jam for what must be the wrong reasons, got any hate for them also?

or is this less a case of "authentic listnership" and more just a case of adults on here calling you out for liking a teenie bopper single and you getting asshurt?

Look, the song initially gained credibility in adult clubs and that's what drove kids to latch onto it.

I don't know why that is so hard for you to comprehend.

It was in the clubs and on mixtapes looong before it ever touched MTV.

But since you are entirely disconnected from such clubs and mixtapes, all you can see is the MTV factor.

And tack onto that your all-too-obvious, sweeping disdain for those who engage in said things without a care in the world whether or not you approve/disapprove.

I'm telling you...addd it up and you are basically defining what it is to be an ugly white American.

And yes, as another white American...I'm asking you to quit that.

Solemarcosa and Dizzy too...

and I'm telling you that your creepy fetishization of Black culture defines another kind of ugly white American.

I would ask you to quit that, but it provides far too much entertainment for us on here. so please carry on.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    you reaffirm how entirely disconnected you are from anything but your own piss-trickle of an egocentric perspective

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

the racist ass us census bureau says austin is 65% white and 10% black, and that texas as a whole is 71% white, and 11% black... but that was from 2000, maybe it's changed over the last 7 years
    By the most recent Census estimates (2005 ACS Survey), the Austin MSA is now 73.5% white, 6.9% black, (breakout of hispanic from white- total hispanic = 29%, 22.8% of total are Mexican)
    so, non-hispanic white is about 45%, which is by far the largest group in the metro area.

Race alone or in combination with one or more other races

Total population
    +/-5,118

White
    +/-12,912

Black or African American
    +/-4,270

American Indian and Alaska Native
    +/-1,950

Asian
    +/-1,066

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
    +/-1,560

Some other race
    +/-13,716

HISPANIC OR LATINO AND RACE

Total population
    +/-5,118

Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
    +/-3,112

Mexican
    +/-13,149

Puerto Rican
    +/-1,493

Cuban
    +/-6,236

Other Hispanic or Latino
    +/-10,711

Not Hispanic or Latino
    +/-3,858

White alone
    +/-3,599

Black or African American alone
    +/-4,509

American Indian and Alaska Native alone
    +/-1,678

Asian alone
    +/-1,511

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone
    +/-673

Some other race alone
    +/-3,762

Two or more races
    +/-3,011

Two races including Some other race
    +/-439

Two races excluding Some other race, and Three or more races
    +/-2,931

carry on.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    dude it's a crap pop song that was actually made for MTV.

it's not like the mainstream media has co-opted some pure piece of art. this song was made for the radio and that's where it's meant to be experienced.

Your assumptions are false. I am sure this has been explained to the Dizzys and Chads of Soulstrut on many occassions, but I'll run it down again. Every single one of the records you guys are hating on were local, independent records that mtv, major labels and white people had to play catch up with. There are hundreds of records like these that do not cross over every year. Now maybe this doesn't validate their existance, but it sort of throws the "manufactured pop music" thesis out the window. They are distinct reflections of and for their community. And in a lot of ways, these are the last records of that nature being produced in this country. In any genre.

and Marco, all due respect but "DJing rap at a southern club" and "DJing at a southern rap club" are two very different things.

Oh my god, this is SUCH bullshit...take a drive around your city dude, there is more to your city than east of 35...have you ever been to Irving, Carrolton, Frisco, Arlington, Fort Worth, White Settlement, Plano, Denton, Gainsville, Kingwood, Humble, Spring, The Woodlands, Port Arthur, Lubbock, Abiline, Amarillo, Mesquite, Midland, Odessa...shall I go on? There are only a handful of cities in the entire US that arent predominatley white...Memphis, Atlanta and a few others...havent you heard Harvey? there are a lot of white people in the US....

• I figured when I posted this that only harvey and fauxs would ride for that.

For the record I like the Sean Kingston song. I don't know why. I think its catchy. I like umba-rella-ella-ella-ay-ay too. catchy. I won't call it high art, but as far as pop music goes I certainly don't hate it.

To whoever mentioned my chemical romance, I don't think I made it past 5 seconds when that one was on TV. I laughed and changed the channel real quick. Who digs that shit? Who sees those clowns and thinks that is 'cool'? I would almost feel sorry for them, if they didn't act like they were taking shit so seriously. yuck.

and fuck it, the drums in umbarella bang harder than any drums since 99 problems.

And one more thing... stop arguing with archaic. I think it makes it feel like it has some valid point to get through. And here's an insider tip - it doesn't. So stop reacting to it and maybe it will go away. maybe it will start its own messageboard with its other 5 friends that give a shit and leave normal people alone.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

it's not like the mainstream media has co-opted some pure piece of art. this song was made for the radio and that's where it's meant to be experienced.

Your assumptions are false. I am sure this has been explained to the Dizzys and Chads of Soulstrut on many occassions, but I'll run it down again. Every single one of the records you guys are hating on were local, independent records that mtv, major labels and white people had to play catch up with. There are hundreds of records like these that do not cross over every year. Now maybe this doesn't validate their existance[/b], but it sort of throws the "manufactured pop music" thesis out the window. They are distinct reflections of and for their community. And in a lot of ways, these are the last records of that nature being produced in this country. In any genre.

and Marco, all due respect but "DJing rap at a southern club" and "DJing at a southern rap club" are two very different things.

yeah this is on point but i think noz made an important distinction that i bolded that harvey could do a better job emphasizing ... no one is saying BLINDLY LIKE ALL REGIONAL POP RAP, u can follow this stuff and be discerning but the way its discussed in most of this thread is just this utter disapproval of the whole style of modern southern rap, its way tacky. But don't confuse this argument w/ the idea that we will ride for anything mainstream, southern and popular.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i.e. i think party like a rock star is kind of wack.

i do kind of think that there is something wrong w/ the 'proper context' argument ... when a song is all over the radio and white 'burbian kids are putting up youtube vids dancing to 'crank that' the 'proper context' is a lot broader than archaic gives credit to, and i think his calls to authenticity are a little suspect

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can we all agree that sean kingston put out the worst song of the year?
    i mean no one is arguing that right?

• I just heard that Soulja Boy "Crank That" thing today and that shit is horrid. "Ay Bay Bay" is decent compared to that.

Once again southern rap proves to be all BULLSHIT
    Agree SOULJA BOY is SHIT!!!
    AY BAY BAY is WACK!!! AS Hell!!!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Your assumptions are false. I am sure this has been explained to the Dizzys and Chads of Soulstrut on many occassions, but I'll run it down again. Every single one of the records you guys are hating on were local, independent records that mtv, major labels and white people had to play catch up with. There are hundreds of records like these that do not cross over every year. Now maybe this doesn't validate their existance, but it sort of throws the "manufactured pop music" thesis out the window. They are distinct reflections of and for their community. And in a lot of ways, these are the last records of that nature being produced in this country. In any genre.

All true. I can at least respect most of the local independent stuff that ends up blowing up. It's the vocoder synthpop that really drives me crackers. At the same time:

A) A lot of these local artists are trying to push their music so that it blows up ala Soulja Boy, Hurricane Chris, etc. (not that that's a bad thing), and given that, I think we all have the right to an opinion on it.

B) I've heard/been sent a lot of this local stuff that gets pushed, and honestly, for the most part the music getting played outside of a local context (not necessarily the radio hits, but the stuff that at least gets some circulation through friends, internet sources, etc.) is often the best there is in my opinion, which is sad. Which is really just to say that if you don't like Hurricane Chris, you're probably really not going to like most of the other music played at a Southern rap club.

C) The whole aesthetic of Southern rap music is really completely different from what most people here are familiar with. That's not even saying I understand it fully, because I don't. I think, even though Harvey grossly understated his point and unnecessarily brought a whole lot of other junk into the conversation, that the important point here is that even if you don't like the music, and you have every right to, there is a culture and orientation around it that outsiders just don't understand. IMO this is all irrelevent to whether you like the music or not, but you do have to recognize it, just like you would with any other genre of music.

• the racist ass us census bureau says austin is 65% white and 10% black, and that texas as a whole is 71% white, and 11% black... but that was from 2000, maybe it's changed over the last 7 years
    By the most recent Census estimates (2005 ACS Survey), the Austin MSA is now 73.5% white, 6.9% black, (breakout of hispanic from white- total hispanic = 29%, 22.8% of total are Mexican)

so, non-hispanic white is about 45%, which is by far the largest group in the metro area.

Race alone or in combination with one or more other races

Total population
    +/-5,118

White
    +/-12,912

Black or African American
    +/-4,270

American Indian and Alaska Native
    +/-1,950

Asian
    +/-1,066

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
    +/-1,560

Some other race
    +/-13,716

HISPANIC OR LATINO AND RACE

Total population
    +/-5,118

Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
    +/-3,112

Mexican
    +/-13,149

Puerto Rican
    +/-1,493

Cuban
    +/-6,236

Other Hispanic or Latino
    +/-10,711

Not Hispanic or Latino
    +/-3,858

White alone
    +/-3,599

Black or African American alone
    +/-4,509

American Indian and Alaska Native alone
    +/-1,678

Asian alone
    +/-1,511

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone
    +/-673

Some other race alone
    +/-3,762

Two or more races
    +/-3,011

Two races including Some other race
    +/-439

Two races excluding Some other race, and Three or more races
    +/-2,931

carry on.

i didn't see a category in there for "hard-as-fuck" people... could the census bureau just be scared to frequent the kind of places where "ay bay bay" is most at home?

• They are distinct reflections of and for their community.

while this may be true, it does not change the facts that:

1. most people's exposure to Ay Bay Bay -- and its huge success -- were through national radio and MTV.

2. the song is fucking whack.

that's my problem with posts like yours and harv-chaic's: y'all are so eager to recognize "authenticity" that you guys can't recognize a corny song when you hear one.

PS it's more than a little suspect when Harv-chaic and them wanna hold a song up as some cultural artifact, even if it sucks. it smacks of fetishization.

and riding for a song solely because it represents some sort of local Black experience is as shallow as writing off a song for the same reason. I avoid doing both. harv-chaic stays doing the former.

whack is whack. Ay Bay Bay is whack.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    and fuck it, the drums in umbarella bang harder than any drums since 99 problems.

Sad and true all at the same time.

• Before I ever hate on any pop song on the radio again I'll be sure I check the internets to make sure its not some regional experience that I'm hopelessly clueless about, thus reversing my affirmation that it sucks.

maybe My Chemical Romance doesn't suck either, but I'm not sure if anybody here can explain to me why it doesn't suck yet. I hope there isn't a region of whimy pussy mall goths that like this song, and its just their regional style and I just don't understand it.

Then again I'm lucky enough to have little kids like Toyz-R-Noz to clear things up for me. Yay! Guess what, little boy, I'm old enough to have already gone through my pop years a long time ago. When I was a little boy like you I suppose I expected my daddy to give a shit about Run DMC, and for some reason no amount of explaining could convince him that it didn't suck shit. And for some reason, telling him all the kids were into it didn't really make much of a difference.

I'm 30 years old, which is WAY to old to give a shit about some little kid yelling AY BAY BAY being art. I'm old, its annoying. Who cares? Get over yourself. Some of you people sound like fucking pedophiles with your chicken noodles fetish fantasies.

Rant over. 5+ pager acheived. Almost quittin' time, mission successful, Harvey, eat a dick.

• Once again southern rap proves to be all BULLSHIT

whoa

• it smacks of fetishization.

cue the "HOW CAN YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THAT MAYBE WE JUST LIKE IT BECAUSE WE LIKE IT AND TASTES CHANGE OVER TIME ZOMG I JUST LOOOVE BLACK MUSIC SO MUCH AND UR A TOTAL H8R!!LOLZ"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I just heard that Soulja Boy "Crank That" thing today and that shit is horrid. "Ay Bay Bay" is decent compared to that.

Once again southern rap proves to be all BULLSHIT
    Agree SOULJA BOY is SHIT!!!
    AY BAY BAY is WACK!!! AS Hell!!!!
    once again you prove that you have no idea of what you are talking about

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    can we all agree that sean kingston put out the worst song of the year?

I gotta go with Akon, "Don't Matter" - I mean, the Sean Kingston
    is at least kinda funny ... I just could not escape the Akon, and
    after a while hearing his voice felt like a dentist drill going
    straight into my nerve center.

• can we all agree that sean kingston put out the worst song of the year?

I gotta go with Akon, "Don't Matter" - I mean, the Sean Kingston
    is at least kinda funny ... I just could not escape the Akon, and
    after a while hearing his voice felt like a dentist drill going
    straight into my nerve center.

It's a song from Southern dental offices(that you never go to) that just so happened to cross over to pop radio.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    You know in the lyrics to "Ay Bay Bay", Hurricane Chris says "White folks, gangsters and the thuuugs. A Bay Bay!". Are we left to assume that the gansters and thugs are Black people? Cuz there ain't no Asians in Texas!

• Then again I'm lucky enough to have little kids like Toyz-R-Noz to clear things up for me. Yay! Guess what, little boy, I'm old enough to have already gone through my pop years a long time ago.

Dude, you posted pictures of yourself wearing a jacket covered in stuffed animals and released a remix of Milkshake incorporating Lawrence Welk samples.

• Then again I'm lucky enough to have little kids like Toyz-R-Noz to clear things up for me. Yay! Guess what, little boy, I'm old enough to have already gone through my pop years a long time ago.

Dude, you posted pictures of yourself wearing a jacket covered in stuffed animals and released a remix of Milkshake incorporating Lawrence Welk samples.

A fan!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    so you're old enough to have gone through your pop years but you're posting a thread which is basically about pop music and then get asshurt when someone who actually knows what he's talking about informs your clueless ass about something? did i get that right?