WORST SONG OF THE YEAR (cast your vote)

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oh yea, I'm adding Ayo Technology to my list.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How many years do dudes have to go through realizing that they only like about .0002% of all rap that comes out before they stop considering themselves as "rap fans"?

Give me a break. Most legitimate rock fans don't like .0002% of all rock that comes out either.

Most of the songs listed in this thread so far are annoying at best and utter garbage at worst, and it's pathetic highly amusing that the race card is being played in this discussion, especially considering how weak the songs in question really are. I thought straw men were supposed to be knocked down, not defended.

In any case, for the benefit of the crap music defenders in this thread, I think the "You're Old" argument holds a lot more weight in this discussion than the "You Don't Like Black Music" defense. I'd be highly suspect of the taste of anyone over 24 who sincerely "gets into" most of the music discussed thus far.

And yes I know I sound white (with a hairstylist).

Oh.

Did somebody speculate on why the preceding posters don't like contemporary Black music?

Because that would be the point that the "You're old" argument would be responsive to--until that time it's irrelevant.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That song is truly awful.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

That song is truly awful.

Does anyone like this one?

• Umbrella sounds like the Cranberries to me.

ZOMBAY
    ZOMBAY
    ZOOOOOMBAAAAAAY!!![/b]

ha! youre right! hi msbassie!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Therefore, you never witness such a song in its proper context and are thus ill-equipped to judge it.

Umbrella sounds like the Cranberries to me.

ZOMBAY
    ZOMBAY
    ZOOOOOMBAAAAAAY!!![/b]

ha! youre right! hi msbassie!

Hello!!!

• In other words, whether you're old, lame, or actually afraid of real "hard-as-fuck" people...most of y'all obviously don't frequent the places where a song like Ay Bay Bay is most at home.

dude sorry you didn't get the invite to Hardasfuck. rest assured you were missed. now stop your asshurtedness.

as for "places where a song like Ay Bay Bay is most at home," dude every city has several of such locations. they're called middle schools. don't pretend like you're the only one that's been to middle school. I'm sure many of us have.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Therefore, you never witness such a song in its proper context and are thus ill-equipped to judge it.

Funny as hell, but very true.

• Fine time for rockists to go back to routinely hating on rock instead of routinely hating on rap that really has nothing to do with any single aspect of their rockist lifestyles.

In other words, whether you're old, lame, or actually afraid of real "hard-as-fuck" people...most of y'all obviously don't frequent the places where a song like Ay Bay Bay is most at home.

I stand corrected. You have totally pegged the fact that high school dance parties have nothing to with any single aspect of my rockist lifestyle.

• Therefore, you never witness such a song in its proper context and are thus ill-equipped to judge it.

By this theorem, many on this board are ill-equipped to judge Linkin Park or Fall-Out Boy. Luckily these would-be critics are racist and/or old so the point is moot.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    So replace "retarded" with "middle/high school" and it still =

Honestly, y'all don't know what the hell y'all are talking about and really need to come to grips with both how and why you hate on certain things.

• Therefore, you never witness such a song in its proper context and are thus ill-equipped to judge it.

By this theorem, many on this board are ill-equipped to judge Linkin Park or Fall-Out Boy. Luckily these would-be critics are racist and/or old so the point is moot.

I just think it's funny that Harv-chaic doesn't consider MTV the proper, authentic listening environment for this cornball "music." never mind that 99.99999% of the poor suckers who bought and/or ride for Ay Bay Bay never heard said "jam" outside of that very context.

but for the fraction of the listening public that has had the pleasure of listening to Ay Bay Bay while in the presence of Harv's small coterie of friends, all of whom also happen to think this song is not total crap, well, for them the experience was different I guess. it was special .

Is there a house-y version to Sexy Back? Is there a(nother) song that sounds like the/a house-y version of Sexy Back?

I hate all of them.

I just think it's funny that Harv-chaic doesn't consider MTV the proper, authentic listening environment for this cornball "music." never mind that 99.99999% of the poor suckers who bought and/or ride for Ay Bay Bay never heard said "jam" outside of that very context.

but for the fraction of the listening public that has had the pleasure of listening to Ay Bay Bay while in the presence of Harv's small coterie of friends, all of whom also happen to think this song is not total crap, well, for them the experience was different I guess. it was special .

You are truly taking to new heights with every word.

• Honestly, y'all don't know what the hell y'all are talking about

I think it's amazing how despite never having met me, you already have a 360-degree overview of my music knowledge and taste (and gaps therein), enabling you to factually conclude that I don't know what I'm talking about. Uncanny.

and really need to come to grips with both how and why you hate on certain things.

Oh believe me, I'm calling my analyst right now!

• Is there a house-y version to Sexy Back? Is there a(nother) song that sounds like the/a house-y version of Sexy Back?

I hate all of them.

So would you say that you are racist, too old, don't know what you're talking about, lacking a proper listening environment, or merely disconnected? Because something's obviously wrong here, and it's not the fault of Justin Timberlake or Timbaland.

Is there a house-y version to Sexy Back? Is there a(nother) song that sounds like the/a house-y version of Sexy Back?

I hate all of them.

So would you say that you are racist, too old, don't know what you're talking about, lacking a proper listening environment, or merely disconnected?

Ummmm - all of the above!!

I hate all of them.

So would you say that you are racist, too old, don't know what you're talking about, lacking a proper listening environment, or merely disconnected?

PS. The song still blows. (No need for PASUE)

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    There is so much junk that came out this year. Sean Kingston, Akon, T-Pain, Gwen Stefani, and "Party like a Rockstar" have to top the list. The entire Kanye record aside from Stronger is up there too. I'm sure there is a grip of stuff that is equally terrible that I thankfully haven't heard.

Ay Bay Bay and Crank that belong in a different category though. They are so bad that they're good. The Soulja Boy is one of my favorites of the summer. Any song that has a choreographed dance to go along with it, that incites dozens of hilarious Youtube videos, and is followed up by "DOO DOO HEAD" gets my vote. I have a running bet with a friend that whoever is first to bust out the Soulja Boy dance at a party gets $10.

And by the way, this thread and the opinions expressed have ZILCH to do with whether someone has a valid opinion on rap music. We are talking about pop dance music here, not rap. Trying to call people out on their opinions because they don't listen to music in the "right context" is definately NAGL.

I hate all of them.

So would you say that you are racist, too old, don't know what you're talking about, lacking a proper listening environment, or merely disconnected? Because something's obviously wrong here, and it's not the fault of Justin Timberlake or Timbaland.

One of many mistakes you're making is assuming that Ay Bay Bay is a pop song ala Sexyback. It's not. It's a song from Southern rap clubs (that you never go to) that just so happened to cross over to pop radio.

• Is there a house-y version to Sexy Back? Is there a(nother) song that sounds like the/a house-y version of Sexy Back?

I hate all of them.

Canada = Home of those who have come to grips with both how and why they hate on certain things

oh, no my friend, it's you that's disconnected. you would like to think "Ay Bay Bay" is an important, authentic work of historical importance.

dude it's a crap pop song that was actually made for MTV.

it's not like the mainstream media has co-opted some pure piece of art. this song was made for the radio and that's where it's meant to be experienced.

stop pretending that those who have not had the pleasure of hearing this song in a club in Hurricane Chris's hometown have somehow lost the right to critique it.

• One of many mistakes you're making is assuming that Ay Bay Bay is a pop song ala Sexyback. It's not. It's a song from Southern rap clubs (that you never go to) that just so happened to cross over to pop radio.

lol.

then why is there a video for it, genius?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    You guys are hilarious.

Really though, "I've got my drink and my two step". I had the sorry misfortune of waking up tot hat on my radio alarm clock. I think it ruined my soul.

oh, no my friend, it's you that's disconnected. you would like to think "Ay Bay Bay" is an important, authentic work of historical importance.

dude it's a crap pop song that was actually made for MTV.

it's not like the mainstream media has co-opted some pure piece of art. this song was made for the radio and that's where it's meant to be experienced.

stop pretending that those who have not had the pleasure of hearing this song in a club in Hurricane Chris's hometown have somehow lost the right to critique it.

Why can't you see that the more you insist that Ay Bay Bay was made for MTV, the more you reaffirm how entirely disconnected you are from anything but your own piss-trickle of an egocentric perspective?

• One of many mistakes you're making is assuming that Ay Bay Bay is a pop song ala Sexyback. It's not.

So the lesson here is that regional rap hits that crossover > major label pop that hits nationwide straight out the gate.

Well that certainly explains why D4L > R. Kelly.

Southern rap clubs (that you never go to)

Again, your insight into my social calendar is almost extrasensory.

One question: does "DJing rap at a southern club" garner me any credibility points or am I still technically disconnected due to my taste/age/race deficiencies?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I think it ruined my soul.

• alright answer me this harv-chaic: the millions of suckers that downloaded this song, the legions of lost middle schoolers that copped the ringtone, the thousands of confused MTV and BET viewers that pushed this "song" into heavy rotation, I'm talking about the people that actually like this "song": are they disconnected, too?

I mean, clearly the vast majority of dude's sales are coming from people who have not had the authentic Hurricane Chris clurrb experience. so since they're liking the jam for what must be the wrong reasons, got any hate for them also?

or is this less a case of "authentic listnership" and more just a case of adults on here calling you out for liking a teenie bopper single and you getting asshurt?

Again, your insight into my social calendar is almost extrasensory.

One question: does "DJing rap at a southern club" garner me any credibility points or am I still technically disconnected due to my taste/age/race/ deficiencies?

You are disconnected from a lifestyle that you clearly don't wish to engage in.

So why even attempt to pretend?