in the Patriots' play - people assuming other teams can just
    employ this "blueprint" and beat them in the future are seriously
    ignoring the strength of Belichick and Co. You think they won't
    be working to alter the offense enough to counter the "blueprint"
    of jamming the receivers and an aggressive pass rush? Shit, once
    the Patriots started remembering they had a ground game, the heat
    was seriously reduced on Brady, although the secondary was keeping
    his options limited.

I don't think it's necessarily a blueprint to beat the Patriots, but it is definitely the blueprint to give your offense a chance to match their point total, and thus increase your chances of winning the game. And hasn't the strength of this Patriot team been the deep ball this year? It's because of that threat that the underneath stuff for Welker has opened up. Take away the deep ball and no doubt, they'll adjust. More runs, shotgun draws, slants, screens, etc to draw your defense up early in the game and hold your blitz back. But again, I'd let them take all that short stuff all day, rather than having them explode for 30+ yard plays down the field.

Like I said, maybe not everyone has the personnel on defense to do this. But the next 2 games against the Ravens and Steelers, those 2 have the physical front 7 and a good secondary to be able to execute this type of gameplan against the Pats.

• I'm more concerned with the Eagles ability to score. I take some
    relief in the fact that they just executed some damn impressive
    plays all night long - Feeley had one of the best 3-interception
    games you'll ever see, making some passes that took serious guts.
    But still, the Pats secondary was exposed as a soft spot not for the 1st
    time this season. This is the area that can cause problems if not
    addressed, and the Steelers are already drawing up plays to exploit
    it, I'm sure, because they have the weapons to do damage.

This is, I think, the biggest lesson teams will take from this game; this Pats D ain't what it was. They looked seriously pedestrian last night. And, hell...if Asante Samuel is going to intercept everything? Just go to work on Ellis Hobbs. The way the Eagles sustained drives gassed the D and kept the O off the field. And, that last INT barely counts- just trying to make something happen with :15 seconds left. It was that second one that was .

As for how the Eagles D played them...Not to say I'm some expert, but as we were watching the game, I turned to my boss and said, 'if they're gonna win, Welker is going to be the guy.' And, sure enough...He is the reaons teams aren't blitzing so much, as he takes quick screens 35 yards, and gashes teams for 8-10 yards at a clip. I understand the, 'well, beat me that way, instead of going deep,' but that allows the Pats to keep your O off the field.

• While I won't discount the expert gameplan the Eagles
    brought tonight, and even allow that it exposed a weakness
    in the Patriots' play - people assuming other teams can just
    employ this "blueprint" and beat them in the future are seriously
    ignoring the strength of Belichick and Co. You think they won't
    be working to alter the offense enough to counter the "blueprint"
    of jamming the receivers and an aggressive pass rush? Shit, once
    the Patriots started remembering they had a ground game, the heat
    was seriously reduced on Brady, although the secondary was keeping
    his options limited.

I'm more concerned with the Eagles ability to score. I take some
    relief in the fact that they just executed some damn impressive
    plays all night long - Feeley had one of the best 3-interception
    games you'll ever see, making some passes that took serious guts.
    But still, the Pats secondary was exposed as a soft spot not for the 1st
    time this season. This is the area that can cause problems if not
    addressed, and the Steelers are already drawing up plays to exploit
    it, I'm sure, because they have the weapons to do damage.

Well, nobody should lose sight of the fact that the Patriots are still a great, great team... it's just that they are not this invincible force the likes of which we have never seen before. There have been other teams just as potent as these Pats- they look pretty much like the '98 Vikings if you ask me (yeah, I will give these Pats the edge over that team, but not by much). One reason why the '07 Pats have looked so omnipotent is because they've been running up the scores- some of these games they should have scored 35 but instead went for 49 or 52. They can be beat and I think they will be... but they are good enough that they could also go 19-0, no question. I just think that even though Belicheat will come up with new schemes to counter what other teams will try to do with them for the rest of season, to some degree you are what you are- the Patriots are not going to turn into a ground attack-style team in an attempt to befuddle their opponents. They're gonna throw the ball deep to Moss, they're gonna hit Welker with the intermediate stuff, etc. etc.- most teams are not gonna be good enough to do anything about that. A few teams just match up well against them, and they're gonna have problems with those teams whether they change their gameplan or not. The Ravens? I feel sorry for them next week. The Steelers? Be very afraid, Pats fan... be very afraid.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

As for how the Eagles D played them...Not to say I'm some expert, but as we were watching the game, I turned to my boss and said, 'if they're gonna win, Welker is going to be the guy.' And, sure enough...He is the reaons teams aren't blitzing so much, as he takes quick screens 35 yards, and gashes teams for 8-10 yards at a clip.

Welker gives great YAC.

But damn if Feeley didn't look like an honest-to-God quarterback out there. With few exceptions, he went out there and straight executed. Is Feeley the future in Philly?

And what the hell was up with those dropped passes and pressure on Brady? Our offense looked more like the 2004 team than this year's model, we looked so vulnerable.

All in all, though, a very entertaining game, and you can't feel too bad when you play a sub-par game against a team playing its guts out and still win. I'll take it.

• And, that last INT barely counts- just trying to make something happen with :15 seconds left. It was that second one that was .

thats where the old axiom "make them make mistakes" came into play.
    feeley got hyped, or the coaches called a shit play, but it was wrong for so many reasons....overthrown,poor clock management, moved away from what was working, and wasnt necessary. PUT THE BALL IN WESTBROOKS HANDS GODDAMMIT!!!

still, this was the first NFL game i watched all season and it did command my attention till the (bitter) end.

my boy swore that the birds would win and subsequently lose the rest of their games this season. LOL. would have been classic philly shit!

i say stick with Feeley

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    That end zone "push off" call on Moss was bullshit.

plaese be serious

• That end zone "push off" call on Moss was bullshit.

plaese be serious

Ed. Please. You be serious.

• http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Serious talk now...Sean Taylor is apparently fighting for his life after being shot last night in a home invasion.

Very sad if this is true...Prayers go out to he and his family.

• http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Serious talk now...Sean Taylor is apparently fighting for his life after being shot last night in a home invasion.

Very sad if this is true...Prayers go out to he and his family.

Shit man. Let's hope this is just a PFT rumor.

• Now being reported on CNN.com, and the Redskins just released a statement saying more details to come.

This looks real...Unfortunately.

• I AM A CHUMP!

but at least I'm not Jason Campbell

Will the Dolphins get their first win against the Steeleers? (the Jets beat them after all)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I AM A CHUMP!

but at least I'm not Jason Campbell

Will the Dolphins get their first win against the Steeleers? (the Jets beat them after all)

I'd take Campbell for the future way before Eli.

• I'd take Campbell for the future way before Eli.

I also predicted that Romo would suck this year.

I'm in pain Roc.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    jeebus 0-0 at the half in Pittsburgh.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Not a whole lot of football going on. I'm kind of worried that there will be one score in the game--some freak play for the Dolphins. With the field being what it is, neither team is able to earn much of anything.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Not a whole lot of football going on. I'm kind of worried that there will be one score in the game--some freak play for the Dolphins. With the field being what it is, neither team is able to earn much of anything.

"I'm the Osiris of this whole shit."

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    ugly ugly ugly

Kinda fun to watch, though.

• R.I.P. Sean Taylor

fuckin' A, man.

• This is so sad.

That's 2 young players in the last year shotdown in their prime.

Shit has got to stop.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    man my brother woke me up mad early this mornin to tell me about taylor
    this is wack

• R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Terrible news this morning. Kid had a lot of talent, truely a shame.

• R.I.P. Sean Taylor

This is definitely too bad. I'm intrigued by the details tho. Seems like it maybe wasn't a random deal? I wonder what really happened?

• R.I.P. Sean Taylor

This is definitely too bad. I'm intrigued by the details tho. Seems like it maybe wasn't a random deal? I wonder what really happened?

Good question. Did y'all read that his house was broken into last weekend, and nothing was taken but a knife was left on/near Taylor's bed?

• R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Good question. Did y'all read that his house was broken into last weekend, and nothing was taken but a knife was left on/near Taylor's bed?

Exactly - And he was sleeping with a machete near his bed this time? And he wasn't with the team? Sounds to me like he knew something was up or was involved with something shady. No doubt this is a sad and unfortunate story but it doesn't all add up to me.

• The "not with the team" thing is largely due to his being injured and not allowed to travel. I do not think, from what I've read, that he had express permission to return to Florida for the weekend though, like he did get from Gibbs the prior weekend.

• The "not with the team" thing is largely due to his being injured and not allowed to travel. I do not think, from what I've read, that he had express permission to return to Florida for the weekend though, like he did get from Gibbs the prior weekend.

yeah, you're right. good clarification... seems like that sort of thing would almost always be cleared by the coach though, especially in the midst of the season.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Was his home in an upper-class neighborhood? What's the situation like out that way? Anyone?

The two pro athlete home invasions here in Chicago -- Antoine Walker in a pretty posh neighborhood in the River North area and Eddy Curry is a nice suburb, Burr Ridge -- were both in well-to-do areas.

It's a scary trend...

• Was his home in an upper-class neighborhood? What's the situation like out that way? Anyone?

The two pro athlete home invasions here in Chicago -- Antoine Walker in a pretty posh neighborhood in the River North area and Eddy Curry is a nice suburb, Burr Ridge -- were both in well-to-do areas.

It's a scary trend...

The WA Post article said it was in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the Miami area.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Steven A. Smith dropping all kinds of knowledge on his radio show. Seems like the killer of Sean Taylor had a personal agenda. Rest in peace.

• Steven A. Smith dropping all kinds of knowledge on his radio show. Seems like the killer of Sean Taylor had a personal agenda. Rest in peace.

can you elaborate any more than that?+