THE OFFICIAL NFL 2007 THREAD

Comments

• Hi Ed???just wanted to check in and see if you still think the Pats are pretenders?

Who have they played ?

Who has anyone played? Who is any good this season?

We had a spirited discussion the other day at work as to who was tops in the league. Pretty short conversation.

Then, there was a LIVELY debate trying to narrow down the bottom ten teams. Now, THAT is a debate.

I mean, what the fuck. Carolina, behind Vinny T., is sitting at 4-2. Jesus...

Oh, and Richard Seymour just returned to practice for the Pats. Worth noting on their defense...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Who have they played ?

Dallas, San Diego, Cleveland are all at or over .500.
    Cincy should be better than they are.
    I agree they haven't been tested much, but it's not their
    fault the league is so weak right now.

What happens when they have to run the ball ?

7th in the league in rushing yards, and that's with their
    #1 RB missing more than half the season, and their #2 hurt
    this past week, also.

What happens when somebody actually runs the ball on them ?

They are holding opponents to an average of under 100 yds per
    game, good enough for 9th in the league.

I agree 16-0 is a little bit of a pipe dream, but as a Pats
    fan, I also couldn't care too much about 16-0 ... I want to
    see them make the Super Bowl, and that's all I care about.
    I guess if it gets to 12-0 or whatever, I'll start caring, but
    the final game of the season is against the NYG, who may very
    well be in a must-win situation to make the playoffs, while we
    will be resting our starters, so 16-0 is really not likely at all.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

Hi Ed???just wanted to check in and see if you still think the Pats are pretenders?

Who have they played ?

Who has anyone played? Who is any good this season?

We had a spirited discussion the other day at work as to who was tops in the league. Pretty short conversation.

Then, there was a LIVELY debate trying to narrow down the bottom ten teams. Now, THAT is a debate.

I mean, what the fuck. Carolina, behind Vinny T., is sitting at 4-2. Jesus...

Oh, and Richard Seymour just returned to practice for the Pats. Worth noting on their defense...

I like footballoutsiders' metrics when discussing how good a team is in different areas outside of their win/loss record, based on ranking each play in a game as successful pending on the situation (e.g., a 15 yard pass on 1st and 10 is worth more than a 15 yard pass on 3rd and 20, a yard gained in either end zone mean more than in midfield, a rusher with three straight plays of 6 yards each is worth more than one who is stopped for zero/negative yardage twice and then gets 19 yards the next run - things like that).

Current weeks' stats are here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/10/23/ramblings/dvoa-ratings/5647/

Background on the methodology here:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/methods.php

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Who have they played ?

Dallas, San Diego, Cleveland are all at or over .500.
    Cincy should be better than they are.
    I agree they haven't been tested much, but it's not their
    fault the league is so weak right now.

What happens when they have to run the ball ?

7th in the league in rushing yards, and that's with their
    #1 RB missing more than half the season, and their #2 hurt
    this past week, also.

What happens when somebody actually runs the ball on them ?

They are holding opponents to an average of under 100 yds per
    game, good enough for 9th in the league.

I agree 16-0 is a little bit of a pipe dream, but as a Pats
    fan, I also couldn't care too much about 16-0 ... I want to
    see them make the Super Bowl, and that's all I care about.
    I guess if it gets to 12-0 or whatever, I'll start caring, but
    the final game of the season is against the NYG, who may very
    well be in a must-win situation to make the playoffs, while we
    will be resting our starters, so 16-0 is really not likely at all.

Nice. Way to break it down.

As far as who have they played, the better question is who haven't they played? Only Indy, Pittsburgh, and Jacksonville are left for good teams we haven't played and beaten yet. By all means, reserve judgment, but after Indy in two weeks, we'll know who the best team is, and I don't want to hear any excuses about how bad the competition is.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Can i change this goddamn avatar ? Les is garbage.

Did you not see the end of the Auburn game?

LSU = The most talented team in College Football.

• Can i change this goddamn avatar ? Les is garbage.

Did you not see the end of the Auburn game?

LSU = The most talented team in College Football.

You're the one who wanted to make it a month, 'member?

Do what you want though. I'm a nice guy.

You may beat Indy....But you're not going to the Super Bowl and that's all that matters......Its a long season.

23)Eagles/Bengals
    24)Saints
    25)Vikings
    26)Cardinals
    27)Jets
    28)Raiders
    29)49ers
    30)Dolphins
    31)Falcons
    32)Rams

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I had to recussitate (sp?) this thread. The Pats make me feeel queezy.. that's how good they are. The Super Bowl is next week.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I had to recussitate (sp?) this thread. The Pats make me feeel queezy.. that's how good they are. The Super Bowl is next week.

naptown is ready.

naptown is ready.

I never thought a)I'd be rooting for the Colts and B) I'd be rooting for the Colts as underdogs.

P.S. THE JETS SUCK!

38-0 at the moment, but it's against the 'Skins, so apparently it's no indication that they're really any good. And yes, next week is probably a preview of the AFC championship. I say the Pats win 45-31. Brady throws 5 touchdowns, and we pick up another on defense or special teams.

Still, nobody in Boston is talking Colts-Pats right now.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    p-a-i-n-ful

• Options

naptown is ready.

I never thought a)I'd be rooting for the Colts and B) I'd be rooting for the Colts as underdogs.

P.S. THE JETS SUCK!

C'mon maaaan, where'd that even come from?

Meet David Harris, the future of our defense. 17 tackles in his first start, 10 solo. I'll miss Vilma but he'll be a beast again on a 4-3 team. Two rookies on our defense played like monsters yesterday, Revis being the other one.

We'll be alright. Someday. I'm sitting here trying to defend a 1-7 team.

naptown is ready.

P.S. THE JETS SUCK!

C'mon maaaan, where'd that even come from?

Meet David Harris, the future of our defense. 17 tackles in his first start, 10 solo. I'll miss Vilma but he'll be a beast again on a 4-3 team. Two rookies on our defense played like monsters yesterday, Revis being the other one.

We'll be alright. Someday. I'm sitting here trying to defend a 1-7 team.

My 4 PM Game Time choices yesterday: Pats vs. Skins (blowout!).... Bills / Jets (BORING ASS GAME!). Pennington is MY BACKUP FANTASY QB and Romo had a bye so he started and gave me 4 whole points. So I'm mad doggie.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    For the entire history of football it has ALWAYS been the rule that a great defense, or even just a great defensive gameplan, can neutralize a great offense. I'm starting to think that the Pats are gonna schitt all over that rule this season. How the hell do you stop them? Get ultra-physical with the receivers? Force them to run the ball? I don't think it's gonna work with these dudes. This Colts game will really tell us a lot... I'm thinking that if Indy controls the clock with long, sustained drives featuring a lot of Joseph Addai and keep the ball out of Brady's hands, maybe they can pull out a victory. I'm trying to tell myself this is possible, but deep down I don't really believe it. I think this New England team is just on another level that we have never seen before. EVER. I'm afraid of these muthaf***as.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Also: the rumours are beginning to circulate that teams are mad because the Pats are running up the score on fools and somebody is gonna take a cheap shot at Brady. Have you heard any of this, kitchenknight?

• MEMO

TO: NFL DEFENSES AND D COORDINATORS

RE: MIKE VRABEL

If Mike Vrabel is lined up at tight end on the goalline, chances are he's gonna block and release and score on you. You might wanna think about covering him.

For the entire history of football it has ALWAYS been the rule that a great defense, or even just a great defensive gameplan, can neutralize a great offense. I'm starting to think that the Pats are gonna schitt all over that rule this season.

I think the rule still holds. Unfortunately for everyone else, though, the only man capable of devising a defensive scheme that could stop the Pats offense is Bill Belichik.

• The Pats and Belicheat are set-up to be the greatest villain in sports history.

The Pats and Belicheat are set-up to be the greatest villain in sports history.

And why, pray tell, is that? Just 'cause their doesn't make them the bad guy. You must hate America.

The Pats are set-up to be the greatest dynasty in NFL history

well said, Gene

• Also: the rumours are beginning to circulate that teams are mad because the Pats are running up the score on fools and somebody is gonna take a cheap shot at Brady.

I'm sure there are certain teams that have thought about this, but I doubt it would happen this coming week, the Colts aren't that type of team, plus the potential retaliation on Peyton would be way too costly.

I hope this game lives up to the hype.

I hope this game lives up to the hype.

Me too. Seriously, I know it's kind of obnoxious to say this,
    but it really is getting a little boring watching the Pats stomp
    hell out of everybody every week. I mean, it's fun for a while,
    but by the second half I'm usually snoring away on the sofa ...

• The Pats and Belicheat are set-up to be the greatest villain in sports history.

And why, pray tell, is that? Just 'cause their doesn't make them the bad guy. You must hate America.

You really need it explained to you?

• Also: the rumours are beginning to circulate that teams are mad because the Pats are running up the score on fools and somebody is gonna take a cheap shot at Brady.

I'm sure there are certain teams that have thought about this, but I doubt it would happen this coming week, the Colts aren't that type of team, plus the potential retaliation on Peyton would be way too costly.

Oh yeah, if the Pats want an undefeated season and play all their starters against the Giants during the last regular season game, best believe Michael Strahan will put a hurtin' on Tommyboy's ass.

No, we understand - you're a Saints fan.

Bitter and irrelevant is a tough pill to swallow

• wow, those bears are looking pretty weak. They got some serious work to do.

• You really need it explained to you?

It's got nothing to do with my team.

I have no problem with what the Pats are doing but then I rooted for the Heels when I watched wrestling back in the day. Running up the score...stuff like that.....everyone in America outside of Boston and established Pats fans will be rooting against them. I think it's fun.

You sound like faux.