NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If the Glove doesn't retire, and would work for peanuts (literally), I'd take him on my team. We could surely use a real vet PG.

That's a good look-IMO.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    If the Glove doesn't retire, and would work for peanuts (literally), I'd take him on my team. We could surely use a real vet PG.
    you're a denver fan, right? sure, you could use a reasonably competent PG to come off the bench if someone is hurt or in a blowout, (Von Wafer?) but your backcourt is looking SCARY good.
    seriously. JR Smith (I'm predicting/pulling for an insane season from him), AI,[/b] Anthony Carter is old, but can put up a few in 10 minutes, same can be said for Chucky. Judging by the performace put on last year when Melo got back from suspension and the team finally "gelled" Denver doesn't need much in the guard spot.

Where Webber goes is gonna be interesting.
    dude's knees are like rusty door hinges. I'm not so interested in where he goes, but how much a team pays him.

----------------
    Webber was not the problem in Detroit last year. Dude did fine as a role player in a good system.
    Put him on Cleveland opposite Gooden for 35 minutes a night.

Pietrus will probably go back to GSW.
    I dunno, Mullin's looking at a cap situation for what he wants. He had his moments, and I like him as a player, but he's not quite right for Nellie-ball

How diff is Pietrus' game from Barnes? T'weeners that slash and shoot the occasional 3.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    you're a denver fan, right? sure, you could use a reasonably competent PG to come off the bench if someone is hurt or in a blowout, (Von Wafer?) but your backcourt is looking SCARY good.

seriously. JR Smith (I'm predicting/pulling for an insane season from him), AI,[/b] Anthony Carter is old, but can put up a few in 10 minutes, same can be said for Chucky. Judging by the performace put on last year when Melo got back from suspension and the team finally "gelled" Denver doesn't need much in the guard spot.

Sorry but HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

dude's knees are like rusty door hinges. I'm not so interested in where he goes, but how much a team pays him.

----------------
    Webber was not the problem in Detroit last year. Dude did fine as a role player in a good system.

I dunno, Mullin's looking at a cap situation for what he wants. He had his moments, and I like him as a player, but he's not quite right for Nellie-ball

How diff is Pietrus' game from Barnes? T'weeners that slash and shoot the occasional 3.

I vaguely remember his plays, put backs and hustle plays like that right? Does he play D?

----------------

I vaguely remember his plays, put backs and hustle plays like that right? Does he play D?
    Nobody needs D. It's Nellie ball.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

----------------

He can play lockdown D when he wants, which is pretty often.

----------------

No D really. But yeah u got him right. He's not a fearless as Jackson or Barnes but he's a swingman like the rest of Nellie's team. So i dont see hoe his game doesnt "fit". Unless dude isnt consistant w/ his O.

I'm not saying he'll be problematic, I just see problems with teams actually expecting 35 a night out of him, he'll spend the last half of the season on the bench in a suit.

I asked myself the same question when it was obvious they were going to sign one before the other, and I'm not real sure as to the answer. I do think that Pietrus was holding out for more money, which seems ridiculous in his case. I was surprised it happened the way it did (signing Barnes first) after I kept reading that Barnes was firing agents left and right over the summer.

I'm not saying he'll be problematic, I just see problems with teams actually expecting 35 a night out of him, he'll spend the last half of the season on the bench in a suit.

I asked myself the same question when it was obvious they were going to sign one before the other, and I'm not real sure as to the answer. I do think that Pietrus was holding out for more money, which seems ridiculous in his case. I was surprised it happened the way it did (signing Barnes first) after I kept reading that Barnes was firing agents left and right over the summer.

Barnes was doin it last playoffs, Pietrus was watching.

six minutes of why it's retarded of you to laugh at the denver nuggets.

don't worry, kobe hits some nice jumpers in that reel, so it will give you something to swoon over, too.

----------------

No D really. But yeah u got him right. He's not a fearless as Jackson or Barnes but he's a swingman like the rest of Nellie's team. So i dont see hoe his game doesnt "fit". Unless dude isnt consistant w/ his O.

Okay. You're right, G-State doesn't necessarily emphasize defense, so...

six minutes of why it's retarded of you to laugh at the denver nuggets.

don't worry, kobe hits some nice jumpers in that reel, so it will give you something to swoon over, too.

I was just listening to Steven A. go ballistic on all matters sports-related. He just called Kobe Bryant, "an offensive juggernaut" LOL Hilarious. "Mark my words, the U.S. is coming back from Beijing with Gold!!". I'd say he's off to a good start.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

----------------

Neither is a tweener. Both are legit small forwards. Pietrus is far more athletic but as dumb as a door nail. He continusouly makes the same mistakes. Like putting his foot out of bounds when he stands on the edges of the court to make a move. He was a standout defender when he first arrived from France, but he wants to be a scorer now so the defense isn't as good. He's got a good catch and shoot 3 from the corners. Can slash and dunk, but like I said it's the boneheaded things that drive you crazy. He's a good role player.

Barnes is a much better player and signed a one year deal with the Warriors. He can handle the ball, plays tough D, knows his role, has worked on his 3 pointer. He's perfect for Nellie ball. He also has an interesting personnel story.

Barnes has an interesting personnel story.
    His hatred of Mo Cheeks and all things sixers related is unparalleled. That night he dropped seven threes on PHI was great.

• wow, so people are still talking up JR smith huh .... a while ago i called him a poor man's ricky davis. now that we've had a little more time to see him play in the league i think that's a pretty charitable description of him. and he's a complete idiot to boot.

• wow, so people are still talking up JR smith huh .... a while ago i called him a poor man's ricky davis. now that we've had a little more time to see him play in the league i think that's a pretty charitable description of him. and he's a complete idiot to boot.

Not sure what makes him a complete idiot in your eyes, but I, being the Nuggets fan, am kinda over JR myself. I would LOVE to see him explode and play better than his potential, but he is extremely streaky and relies on his flash a lot of the time. However, when he's on, he's actually really good. He can slash, he can dunk, he's athletic and powerful, he can drain threes. But when he's not on he gets frustrated and plays terrible ball. He's too streaky to rely on but he's good enough to get minutes. I still maintain that he is a good spark off the bench.

Our back court is actually pretty solid all around right now. We just don't have a true point guard. I knew we would miss Andre. Our front court is solid too. I know I have been barking about Nene becoming one of the nicer big men this season and I will stick to that, but the guy gained all his fuckin' weight back over the summer. I hope he slims back down before November. He was looking rediculous the end of last season. Kenyon will be in uniform again. Camby is still here. Carmelo is going to be explosive this season. We'll see what happens with LK, I hope he continues to develop, he was going off last season. Our team is good. It's hard to say exactly how we'll do in the west, I still say 4th or 5th seed this season.

wow, so people are still talking up JR smith huh .... a while ago i called him a poor man's ricky davis. now that we've had a little more time to see him play in the league i think that's a pretty charitable description of him. and he's a complete idiot to boot.

He's gonna have an insane season, you watch! Don't you ever forget, he's part of the Nuggets starting five, that's SCARY GOOD too!

wow, so people are still talking up JR smith huh .... a while ago i called him a poor man's ricky davis. now that we've had a little more time to see him play in the league i think that's a pretty charitable description of him. and he's a complete idiot to boot.

He's gonna have an insane season, you watch! Don't you ever forget, he's part of the Nuggets starting five, that's SCARY GOOD too!
    if failed attempts at sarcastic humor could only get the lakers past the first round... sigh.

JR Smith (I'm predicting/pulling for an insane season from him)

Perhaps, "breakthrough" would have been the more appropriate word choice, since its interpretation can be more flexible. And lemme ask you this. Why J.R. Smith of all people? You like the Nuggets son?

JR Smith (I'm predicting/pulling for an insane season from him)

Perhaps, "breakthrough" would have been the more appropriate word choice, since its interpretation can be more flexible.
    haha. you're funny.

drop them nuggets!

Attempted sarcasm isn't a good look for you, yuichi.

Your opinion of the Nuggets is highly irrelevent either way.

ps- JR Smith was not part of the Nuggets starting five end of last season, get familiar.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What's with the avatar, dude--are you creepin' on your man?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I would LOVE to see him explode and play better than his potential

I'd be satisfied to see him play at his potential.

What's with the avatar, dude--are you creepin' on your man?

?

looks like kelly dwyer is pretty pissed at the LA media

There are no "sides" here, just different ways of looking at things. All Phil Jackson is doing it pointing out the obvious: even if Andrew Bynum develops into an All-Star center (something that is looking like a solid bet, especially after his knockout second season at age 19), he's not going to be any help to Kobe Bryant based on his expected learning curve. And Bryant, already 29 and in the league for 11 years and counting, won't be much help for Bynum once Bynum enters his prime.

He's not demanding that the Lakers pull off a trade. He's just holding the Laker front office accountable for what Bryant and Jackson claims they told the both of them: that Los Angeles would work to field a team based around players Bryant's age, and presumably in their prime. And that they wouldn't try to be a left coast version of the Boston Celtics over the last three seasons, a team with veteran talent surrounded by talented college-age neophytes. He's also pointing out what is obvious that pay a whole lot of attention to the NBA.

Mr. Plaschke doesn't like this. He's seems Jackson's comments as an undermining factor that could prevent the Lakers from trading for Jermaine O'Neal. He also throws in a few "Zen" jokes, too. And, man, those never get old.

it's a good read/critique, and it does a good job of the criticism of writing without pulling the blogger-superiority bullshit--
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-20/Now-It-s-Phil-s-Fault-.html

And Bryant, already 29 and in the league for 11 years and counting, won't be much help for Bynum once Bynum enters his prime

I always forget that he has been in the L for 11 years. That's a long ass time, and the game (no-rapper) wears out your body pretty quick. It's pretty incredible that he still does what he does (no dickride).

And Bryant, already 29 and in the league for 11 years and counting, won't be much help for Bynum once Bynum enters his prime

This was completely obvious from the onset. And who knows what "Bynum in his prime" is gonna turn out to be. Fuckin' Busses. After Jerry West left, it's obvious they don't know basketball. Also, what do they see in Chris Mihm?!

Phil Jackson on Jim Buss (in today's LA Times):

"Jim Buss promised big changes, and we've yet to see that. We're still looking for that."

By the way, Bill Plashke is a complete idiot.

MAD DOGGIE.

Also, what do they see in Chris Mihm?!

Scott Pollard

Nick Collison > Chris Mihm