NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Hunter had one really good run in the playoffs with Phoenix. Was athletic and blocked shots. I don't remember if he had any offense though. Is long and a bit thin, but probably a good role player.
    Inconsistent offense from Hunter, will be a solid contributor off the bench on the defensive end. People that doubt that Denver will be a competitive (read: at the very least, a 6 seed) in the playoffs are just ignorant at this point.

I still think having a pure point guard ala Blake is needed, cause Chuck Atkins is the same cats as Boykins.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Hunter had one really good run in the playoffs with Phoenix. Was athletic and blocked shots. I don't remember if he had any offense though. Is long and a bit thin, but probably a good role player.
    Inconsistent offense from Hunter, will be a solid contributor off the bench on the defensive end. People that doubt that Denver will be a competitive (read: at the very least, a 6 seed) in the playoffs are just ignorant at this point.

I still think having a pure point guard ala Blake is needed, cause Chuck Atkins is the same cats as Boykins.
    I'm of the opinion that we didn't see enough of the entire starting five of Denver last season to conclude that Iverson hasn't accepted a role as more of a point/distributor than a scorer. I don't think we'll ever see Nash or Kidd like distribution from AI, it's not his style- but I think he'll be assuming the PG role (less scoring) and playing it better than he ever has before in philly. I don't think anyone doubts that it's in his capability to do so, but I think it's just not what has ever been expected of him on the sixers. One thing's for sure- Denver will be a very interesting team to watch this year.

I'm of the opinion that we didn't see enough of the entire starting five of Denver last season to conclude that Iverson hasn't accepted a role as more of a point/distributor than a scorer. I don't think we'll ever see Nash or Kidd like distribution from AI, it's not his style- but I think he'll be assuming the PG role (less scoring) and playing it better than he ever has before in philly. I don't think anyone doubts that it's in his capability to do so, but I think it's just not what has ever been expected of him on the sixers. One thing's for sure- Denver will be a very interesting team to watch this year.

Im bout bout Denver this year.

AI distribution was a question last year and thats why Blake was given a chance.
    I guess this will be the year The Answer will get his assists up - I hope.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    AK-47 for Marion?

AK at the 4 position next to Stat and Hill/Diaw?

Marion next to Boozer playing his real position at the 3 =

He's been complainin but he just cant put up the same numbers as he did in the Suns system. But Utah would greatly benefit from his athleticism. Now they need a shooter.

The Suns are still trying to shed payroll.

AK-47 for Marion?

AK at the 4 position next to Stat and Hill/Diaw?

Marion next to Boozer playing his real position at the 3 =

He's been complainin but he just cant put up the same numbers as he did in the Suns system. But Utah would greatly benefit from his athleticism. Now they need a shooter.

The Suns are still trying to shed payroll.

Makes sense - and let Marion who feel underapreciated go play somewhere else.
    Utah is a good look IMO.

• Hunter had one really good run in the playoffs with Phoenix. Was athletic and blocked shots. I don't remember if he had any offense though. Is long and a bit thin, but probably a good role player.

Im bout bout Denver this year.

AI distribution was a question last year and thats why Blake was given a chance.
    I guess this will be the year The Answer will get his assists up - I hope.

Re: Hunter as a defensive help from the bench, that's exactly what we needed. As for AI, he is playing next to a consistent 25-30 point a night young superstar, I don't think he's going to be trying to take the spotlight at this point. I think he came to denver knowing that. I also don't think last season was the season to judge (as so many haters out there have tried to do). I, too, really hope he was able to adjust over the summer to become a better distributor. The beautiful part about AI/Melo is that they are both great scorers and great passers when they want to be. When one is locked down on a double or triple team, the other will be available. And if they are somehow both locked down, we have plenty of inside threats (Nene, Camby, maybe Martin) and Atkins on the perimeter. Not a bad offensive game by the sound of it.

Denver's biggest hurdle is actually not transforming AI to a point guard, it is to develop a better team defense mindset. If they can pick up where they left off at the end of last season and begin to play consistent team d like that, we'll be tough as hell to stop.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    AK's contract is a huge albatross unless he snaps out of his two year malaise. For that kinda money, you could re-sign Marion.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Greg Oden is getting knee surgery. Will his knee hold up for him to have a fruitful NBA career?

In other news, the WNBA Finals are going on right now. WHO'S WATCHING?!

The Curse of Sam Bowie/Bill Walton.....

Apparently his legs of are different lengths, and that may have caused more strain to his knee. As Ric Bucher says, it might be concern because there is substantial uncertainty that he can withstand the 82 game season. I must agree....BAD NEWS for Portland (although they seemed to have known the asymmetry of his legs prior).

• "Bitch I don't give a fuuuuuuck about these white people!" = Chris Tucker

In and of itself, that sounds pretty tame.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "off-site"

"I figured out why we have problems. It's because we're so much alike. I'm in love with you. It's like the movie, 'Love and Basketball,' "

• No, I know - it's just odd that they dressed it with that other stuff.

• i used to be a huuge isiah fan when i was a kid, like playing ball in #11 wristbands and isiah detroit jersey type fan. when i was 13 i ended up at this players association party with my dad and i was literally the only kid there. i got autographs from every player there except for 2. isiah and mark eaton of all people. isiah told me it "was not the time or place".

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    isiah told me "bitch, it's not the time or place for this white boy"

No, I know - it's just odd that they dressed it with that other stuff.

Nah, I was just highlighting a few further jewelz.

I'd like to see "off-site" become a catchphrase.

AK's contract is a huge albatross unless he snaps out of his two year malaise. For that kinda money, you could re-sign Marion.

yeah, i think even marion is starting to realize he isn't underappreciated in the suns system. Everyone knows he's one of the best, especially playing the 3 & 4, moving away from the ball, he's an All Star every season, etc. etc. The Suns would save a small amount for a single season, but then be right back in the same cap situation with a player (AK) that they may or may not be able to get rid of. Sarver has already proven with his lack of acquisitions over the off season that he is averse to two things: risk and luxury tax (and to an extent, spending the $$ required to get the suns past the WCF, but that's another matter). I don't think this move will happen.

I'd like to see "off-site" become a location.

In opening statements yesterday, Thomas' lawyer Kathleen Bogas denied that the Knick honcho had ever acted inappropriately toward Sanders, either verbally or sexually. She called him "nothing other than a total gentleman."

Is employing a female lawyer a tactic that the defendant uses to gain more credibility for his case? It sure seems that way.

• In opening statements yesterday, Thomas' lawyer Kathleen Bogas denied that the Knick honcho had ever acted inappropriately toward Sanders, either verbally or sexually. She called him "nothing other than a total gentleman."

Is employing a female lawyer a tactic that the defendant uses to gain more credibility for his case? It sure seems that way.

Bitch please! Isaiah don't give a fuck about those white people!

In opening statements yesterday, Thomas' lawyer Kathleen Bogas denied that the Knick honcho had ever acted inappropriately toward Sanders, either verbally or sexually. She called him "nothing other than a total gentleman."

I think if a girl and a guy mutually agree to use "Bitch please" before actual usage, then it's all good.

As evidenced by his "bizarre laughter":

Thomas bizarrely laughed while she talked

Am I the only one disappointed that "bitch please!" will catch on in this thread moreso than "off-site"?
    I've already used "off-site" in two conversations today. (Both times it was met with confusion-- the workplace vernacular is not on Thomas' level.)

DAMNIT. no usage of "off-site" or "bitch please!". "Very fabricated" and "pretty wildly fabricated" are not as catchy.

I had just skimmed the piece this morning, but new depthes of weirdness emerge upon rereading it. For instance, things initially went awry when Isiah called an isolation play at a Christmas party and made the oft-quoted Love and Basketball pitch whilst engaging her in a game of HORSE!?

Thomas first pulled her aside at a Christmas party in 2004, and the two had joined in a basketball game called "horse," Sanders said.

I had just skimmed the piece this morning, but new depthes of weirdness emerge upon rereading it. For instance, things initially went awry when Isiah called an isolation play at a Christmas party and made the oft-quoted Love and Basketball pitch whilst engaging her in a game of HORSE!?

Thomas first pulled her aside at a Christmas party in 2004, and the two had joined in a basketball game called "horse," Sanders said.
    Who hasn't tried the "give-a-big-hug-confess-love-and-shoot-a-no-look-under-the-leg-3pt-shot" move on a chick though? I don't even see why that's relevant to the case... Best case scenario: you've got a new ladyfriend; Worst case: She's got another letter.

It's a win-win!

You sir, sound like you are not familiar with seducing a female by incorporating basketball into their vernacular. FOR INSTANCE, I GET MAD HOES, WHEN I WHISPER THE WORD "STUTTERSTEP" IN THEIR EAR.

Isiah does kinda look like he would say "bitch please" though.

• Have you guys ever heard Isaiah's famous quote from the Rome show? He does the audio drop quite often....

Basically, Zeke called in Rome's show for an interview one time. They're getting the interview underway, and Jim Rome opens with a cordial intro...."How are you Isaiah".

Isaiah responds in his sort-of femme-ish voice, "I'm doing great. I just got back from Red Lobster[/b]."

lol. No shit?

the spurs can't make any money(???) they are asking for public subsidies to rejuvinate their FIVE YEAR OLD[/b] stadium. I really hope the San Antonio taxpayers aren't dumb enough to go for this.
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-41/If-the-Spurs-Can-t-Make-Money---.html

• Dude. Cats in San Antone would give up their firstborns if Timmy D. would but merely ask.

This was hilarious, btw.

www.theonion.com

Tim Duncan Staring At Wall Right Now[/b]

SAN ANTONIO???Two-time NBA MVP Tim Duncan has been sitting in his living room next to his packed gym bag and clad in his Spurs warm-up jersey for the past three months, concerned teammates reported Monday. "I called him several times and he didn't pick up," said guard Tony Parker. "And when I got worried enough to go look through his window, I saw him just sitting there. I'm pretty sure he's conscious and not in any pain, but it doesn't look like he's moved since late June." The Spurs front office confirmed that Duncan requested a call at midnight on Oct. 1 to ensure he did not miss the first day of training camp