NBA OFF SEASON

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Lamar Odom is too soft for the East.

He's kinda soft, but he usually finds his spot on any team.

I dont want him. He'd be cool in Orlando.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Really though: crappy teams like the Sonics and Portland are now possibly playoff bound.

Just curious. Who were some notable rookies as of late that took a losing team into the playoffs?

Carmelo

true.

I dont see Portland or Seattle in the playoffs this up coming season.

Me neither--whose spot are they going to take?

Tracy McGrady's Boo-hooin' might drive Houston heart out their position.
    And dont they have a new coach?

I don't think it's impossible for Seattle or Portland, to sneak into the 8th spot (shit, the Clippers almost made it last year), but at the same time, I don't see it as a given. I think all those bottom bubble teams will be fighting it out in the west again (NO, LAL, LAC, GSW) but will be joined by SEA and POR so it will be a big toss up for the last couple spots. I see Denver going 4th seed this year (legitimately), and hopefully grabbing that second NW division title in 40 years or however long it was before we won 2 seasons ago. Sights are set on Utah, fuck these fools!

• Garnett's going to Beantown?? Fuck it sucks to be a Knicks fan..

• Mr_DelmontMr_Delmont 279 Posts
    Really though: crappy teams like the Sonics and Portland are now possibly playoff bound.

Just curious. Who were some notable rookies as of late that took a losing team into the playoffs?

Carmelo

true.

I dont see Portland or Seattle in the playoffs this up coming season.

People seem to forget Portland was only 4 games out of the Playoffs last season. If Roy hadnt missed that month and a half stretch early on in the season that resulted in almost 20 losses I think we would have been in there...no doubt. If Oden, Roy and Aldridge remain healthy all 82 games I think the odds are we will sneak in at the 8th spot.

Also we went 6-2 without Zach. Including going 3-0 on a east coast trip.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    going 3-0 on a east coast trip.
    that's what i'm sayin though.
    what has the east done this off-season to make up for this sort of thing? Aging jump shooter to a team that's still wet behind the ears? He'll be playin' sidekick to a dude that I think should be seen as the biggest "talent wasted by poor management" in the last 10 years. The East makes me sad. Although I think Chicago is fun to watch... Even with Ben Wallace losing his ability to jump, and Scott Skiles being a fun nazi.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    that's what i'm sayin though.

what has the east done this off-season to make up for this sort of thing? Aging jump shooter to a team that's still wet behind the ears? He'll be playin' sidekick to a dude that I think should be seen as the biggest "talent wasted by poor management" in the last 10 years. The East makes me sad. Although I think Chicago is fun to watch... Even with Ben Wallace losing his ability to jump, and Scott Skiles being a fun nazi.

Yeah fuck Skiles and all but I think the Bulls were smart to keep their team in one piece. They need to continue to build on the chemistry they have and continue to develop the roles. Deng can develop into a star scorer, easily, and Ben Wallace is a gift to any team with even half a mind of playing defense. I think if they keep on working with what they got, they'll continue to improve. Plus they have Noah to work with now. And young Tyrus is still on the come-up. Is Nocioni still on the market? Or did he re-sign?

Last year, the Pistons matched up against the Bulls in the second round which was wack, they should have been head to head in the ECF. Pistons took the Bulls then fell apart on some dumb shit against Cleveland with Rasheed flipping out at the last minute. Last year was kind of a fluke. But the game is the game and whoever won, won. I'm just saying, I don't expect that type of shit to happen twice in a row. I expect to see the Pistons or Bulls on top again this year.

Plus, is Gil coming back strong? The Gil/Caron/Antawn trifecta was looking mad nice last year before all the injuries. Those guys could be a factor in the east if they are all healthy, although I don't know how good the Washington bench situation is.

Plus, is Gil coming back strong? The Gil/Caron/Antawn trifecta was looking mad nice last year before all the injuries. Those guys could be a factor in the east if they are all healthy, although I don't know how good the Washington bench situation is.

Keep a eye on DeShawn Stevenson this year....I believe he will continue to improve as he was towards the end of last season.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

YES.
    remind me to come forth with the antics of me watching the trifecta in action as gil went off for 34 in a Wizards victory w/ floor seats in Chicago getting some foll's drink poured on my head sporting a freedarko tiger tee. as for now, gotta roll.

• I like how things look for the Wizards this year. As far as the bench, they'll have Young, Pecherov, McGuire(who looks like the steal of the draft), Daniels, Blatche, Songaila and either Thomas or Haywood. Thats assuming a starting lineup of Gil, DeShawn, Caron, Antawn, and either Thomas or Haywood. I feel like if everyone stays healthy they could win their division at the very least. I still want to know whats going on with Navarro, I think that deadline to trade him is like Friday.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is Boston even going to have a starting five after this?

b/w

Ricky Davis = Face of the Franchise

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I usually stay far away from this thread, but
    I gotta say, at least the Celtics are interesting
    again - and, it's almost sad to say, but in today's NBA
    East, having Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen might be
    enough to take the Conference title!

I usually stay far away from this thread, but
    I gotta say, at least the Celtics are interesting
    again - and, it's almost sad to say, but in today's NBA
    East, having Garnett, Pierce and Ray Allen might be
    enough to take the Conference title!

I'll take them three-on-five agianst half the teams in the conference.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't think the Sonics have a chance to make the playoffs this year. They look to be a crappy team for a while.

Portland on the other hand could contend. I think the 8th spot is completely wide open this coming season. Remember the Warriors only made the playoffs the last day of the season. Not only that but the Warriors might not be as good as last season because they traded away Richardson and got a skinny rookie big man back in return. It's going to be a dogfight for that last spot in the west.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The Celtics picked up Ray Allen?!
    It's gonna get ugly.

• He was languishing here. The best move for both teams.

The best move for both teams.

You guys certainly got a couple of players with
    tremendous potential. Al Jefferson may very well
    be an All-Star someday soon.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    KG's Boston uni is gonna be a hot one.

Is Boston even going to need a starting five after this?

You can win in the MLS with 3 good players and a shitty team???

You know what, to me at least, this combination of stars seem more promising than AI/Melo.

This upcoming NBA season is gonna be bananas. So many side plots.

KG with Boston.
    Will the Mavs come up this time?
    Kevin Durant/Oden, and the rookies.
    Lakers (kobe?)
    Grant Hill with Phoenix.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This upcoming NBA season is gonna be bananas. So many side plots.

KG with Boston.
    Kevin Durant/Oden, and the rookies.
    Lakers (kobe?)
    Grant Hill with Phoenix
    Z-Bo repping NYC

• This upcoming NBA season is gonna be bananas. So many side plots.

Grant Hill with Phoenix.

i'm still confused about this move. what does he bring to their team? why would they not spend that money on a big man? he doesn't have to be baller, but at least a defensive presence...like kurt thomas. maybe there wasn't a quality big man to pick up, i guess, but still.

and i think rashard lewis will surprise some folks in orlando.

Please be serious.

Just sayin...Hoops is as much of a team sport as any other, yet it's the one most likely to be assumed that a star or two can carry a poor to average team to a championship, and that rarely happens.