Amy Winehose- graetest white chick EVER???

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Her voice grates on me, but then again it reminds me of Erykah Badu and I have never been a Badu fan outside of a single or two here or there. Also seriously Winehouse sounds bored when she is singing... no feeling.

Its funny I played some of her stuff in the store about a year ago off of Frank and everyone was clonning the CD. A bit of hype and a revised sound changes alot fo opinions... haha.

Overall she isn't bad just not great. The sound Ronson and Remi created on the album is cool and completely caters to her bored singing style (I think boosting her abilities to the listening audience). I think if there were any competition out there for her though, she would not have recieved this much hype.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Overall she isn't bad just not great.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Probably should give it more of a listen but it was enjoyable enough without blowing me away.

While the daily pictures of her in the paparazzi sections of the UK tabloids are the kind of publicity that money can't buy I suspect the over exposure will produce a backlash in the near future. Six to twelve months is about the best an artist can hope for before she's properly ripped apart by the British press.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    Six to twelve months is about the best an artist can hope for before she's properly ripped apart by the British press.

Apart from Kylie. But she's an "Institution" no?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

HELL NO

it's been a few years since i read please kill me but i remember being surprised at how patti smith came off as the ultimate poseur opportunist from different people's interviews just burning through people like nothing

3 things that i remember from that

1) patti smith standing in front of the mirror fluffing her hair and asking "does my hair make me look like keith richards?"
    2) putting "free wayne kramer!" on the back of her album and when kramer went up to her backstage at her concert to thank her he got snubbed
    3) wanting to put up a giant american flag on the stage at some concert in italy and when the guitarist suggested it might not be a good idea and could be seen as antagonistic she gets pissy and says something like "What you aren't a patriot? You don't love America?"

gross

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Six to twelve months is about the best an artist can hope for before she's properly ripped apart by the British press.

Apart from Kylie. But she's an "Institution" no?

Well, she had a decade or so of being dismissed as transient pop fluff before being declared cool, so it's arguable that she acquired her "institution/icon" status the hard way. Getting a world-wide hit with a record that sounded like it could have come off a gay version of "The Man Machine" didn't hurt, either.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU? YOU'RE NOT THE SAME!"[/b]

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    1) Winehouse, greatest white chick ever
    2) Winehouse, totally fuckable or not
    3) Fat Winehouse v Skinny Winehouse
    4) Other skinny fuckable chicks
    5) Skinny chicks (fuckable or not?) who have serious pipes
    6) Why are contemporary chicks so fucking skinny
    7) Winehouse: Horseface Drescher... discuss
    8) Paycheck: a total dogpiler... discuss
    9) Guzzo: nutjob?
    10) Bam: elitist snob verbose with golden excrement?

Best list ever!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Elise!

she's not white

jealous a bit?

I actually agree with Bassie on the Cat Power. Again, another artist with alcoholism.

oh and of course muah.

you changed your avatar from this i see

so does this mean you are white again?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Two girls (sorry 'chicks') from the south of england, that I'd prefer to listen to today, than Amy Womblemouth.

Not that this makes them better, best, greatest, or >.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    She more than held her own with her duet with the Stones on ain't too proud to beg at the Isle of Wight festival, although that sounded more like luck than design, less singing and more random squeaky noises.

Sadly didn't get out of bed for her actual slot, as shes someone I can certainly listen to, however there are people I would far rather listen to first.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

HELL NO

it's been a few years since i read please kill me but i remember being surprised at how patti smith came off as the ultimate poseur opportunist from different people's interviews just burning through people like nothing

3 things that i remember from that

1) patti smith standing in front of the mirror fluffing her hair and asking "does my hair make me look like keith richards?"
    2) putting "free wayne kramer!" on the back of her album and when kramer went up to her backstage at her concert to thank her he got snubbed
    3) wanting to put up a giant american flag on the stage at some concert in italy and when the guitarist suggested it might not be a good idea and could be seen as antagonistic she gets pissy and says something like "What you aren't a patriot? You don't love America?"

gross

all that and her music sucks. No. No. No. Hell No.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Two girls (sorry 'chicks') from the south of england, that I'd prefer to listen to today, than Amy Womblemouth.

Not that this makes them better, best, greatest, or >.

That adele tune is killer. Now that's a great voice, clear as a bell.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Actually, the greatest white chick ever would be Gwen Stefani.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

I think they wear the same size.

• igboigbo 44 Posts
    "WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU? YOU'RE NOT THE SAME!"[/b]

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I think they wear the same size.
    could never date a woman w such regularly poor taste in footwear

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    act your age not your pant size.
    that guy is ridiculous. dude, youre 70 years fuckin old. its not sexy anymore. yuck. between this and the pac bath picture, i wish i was blind today.

act your age not your pant size.
    that guy is ridiculous. dude, youre 70 years fuckin old. its not sexy anymore. yuck. between this and the pac bath picture, i wish i was blind today.

Mick is 63 years old. I only hope to be half as energetic and vital as he is when i'm that age. No hate over here!

you see it as cool i see it as pathetic. if my (grand)father went around like that i would move to the mountains.

• you see it as cool i see it as pathetic. if my (grand)father went around like that i would move to the mountains.

no, you'd be a billionaire's son, loving every minute of it. Just think how sick your record collection could be...

you see it as cool i see it as pathetic. if my (grand)father went around like that i would move to the mountains.

no, you'd be a billionaire's son, loving every minute of it. Just think how sick your record collection could be...

and all the hot stepmothers.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

how does a girl that's so hurt look so good in this picture?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It has to do with standing next to a seventy-year-old dude in stretch pants.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

She looks kinda like Eva Mendes in this picture. Now THAT is a good look.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

She looks kinda like Eva Mendes in this picture. Now THAT is a good look.

saying. only she looks NOTHING like that. someone plaese to post the profile of her head with the missing teeth. that was some next level foulness.

It has to do with standing next to a seventy-year-old dude in stretch pants.

and I think those kicks are Skechers....

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    It shouldn't be an either/or and respectfully, I find Bam's approach a touch didactic even though I heartily agree that backstory and character can help deepen appreciation far beyond what the music itself is capable of.

Didactic? No. Dude, you're the professional writer / professor. My approach to music is selfish. I've no interest in educating anyone. And what underlying intention can their be in a belief that satisfies only me? That is, I don't offer this as "a way of thinking about music" to anyone. Explicit or otherwise.

Further, I don't think what I've been saying is best summarized as backstory and character. Those things are important in further understanding the catalyst and necessity of music before it was expressed as such, but I am more interested in hearing past the sound to the intent. This is subjective, and can only be assessed individually.

The amount of caveats in this thread ("her first album wasn't really soul", "if you read this interview with her...", "she sound like a dockworker", "this is only her second album", "you need to hear her live", "hey, she's 20 and british, not 50 and black", et al.) remind me of those people that taste something disgusting and then instinctively say, "Here, try this." By offering suggestions of misunderstanding, or saying I'd like her if she were 50 and black and on a small label only make me think you just tasted something gross and are trying to get me to bite into it.

Long ago, I stepped in a big pile of shit. I know for certain, without re-experiencing it, that stepping is shit is no fun, and I don't want that stink stuck to the bottom of my foot again. This means that I am smart, not that I would somehow have a more enjoyable experience if I stepped in homeless shit, or bear shit, or anteater shit. To suggest that I would somehow expose myself to a panorama of potentially great experiences if I repeatedly stepped in shit is not my kind of adventure.

I've determined Amy Winehouse is shit. It sounds like others have determined the opposite. And it sounds like you have found her semi-shitty. This is the kernel, in my opinion.

What you are calling didactic is, to me, an understanding that I don't really have to settle for semi-shitty music. As long as Matt Bauer, Shoogie Dong, the Pop Group, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Woodie Guthrie, John Cale, Dead Meadow, Zu, The Fall, Chrome, Swirlies, John Simon, Lavern Baker, Swans, Noah Creshevsky, William Basinski, Last of the Blacksmiths, Lee Dorsey, Allen Toussaint, Mingering Mike, Karen Dalton, Dolly Parton, UT, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Pelt, Whitehouse, Crucifucks, Parliament, Gene Chandler, Debris, The Stooges, Discharge, Live Skull, Instant Girl, The Cunts, Charlie Smalls, Kenny Sargent, Gang of Four, Tom Brosseau, Tartit, Marissa Nadler, Bonfire Madigan, Clifford Coulter, James Brown, Rapeman, Shannon Wright, Archie Whitewater, The Downer Trio, Waxfire, Cranes, E-40, Joanna Newsom, MC Ant, Grails, The Coup, Asprin, Suicide, Songs:Ohia, King Tee, Express Rising, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Purkurr Pillnikk, Joy Division, My Dad is Dead, Julius Lester, Palace, Amus Moore, Echo & the Bunnymen, Children of the Sun, Jesus Lizard, Fugazi, J Dilla, Tod Dockstader, Candi Staton, Amiri Baraka, Flipper, Mechanical Servants, Happy Go Licky, Kris Kristofferson, Unwound, Steven Jesse Bernstein, Joe Meek, The Whatnauts, Ruby Andrews, Curtis Mayfield, Take Three, Eugene Blacknell, Wire and the motherfucking THIS HEAT records are available to me, I've got a thousand other things to enjoy before I have to settle on sitting through a shitty Amy Winehouse record.

Like Whitney Houston, I decided long ago that I wasn't interested in shit that didn't move me.

Shitty is subjective. People state their preferences and I don't take it personally.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Just to be clear, Bam Bam, I don't think *you* would like Winehose more if she were Black and 50 and drug addled on a boutique label... but that *some* would.

In all honesty I don't care about her either way. I love you all. Except Phill, I'm planning a hit on him as we speak!

[page me]

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    ...And my landlord[/b] jamz her album.

I was under the impression that you paid more in taxes last year than I would earn in an entire lifetime. I thought you was that bean-dip-offa-Stark-4-DAYZ
    It's enough to make a mug think people have actual lives outside of here.

But hey, you are 14,000 posts strong. Such things have no price, yes? Littledude signing out...