The Last OFFICIAL Sopranos Thread(Spoilers)

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

But hey, in the history of this show even the minor characters on this program were so quirky, you wanted to know who/what/why...
    - the female tennis coach who apparently had lesbian designs of Adrianna
    - Vito's son who went goth
    - Livia's caretaker with the removable leg
    - "Jamal Ginsburg, the Hassidic Homeboy"
    - that female crime lord that sat in on one meeting (just the fact that she was a woman in a male-dominated profession...)
    - Hesch's young African-American girlfriend who died without a warning
    - that wimpy guy who fronted Visiting Day, a goofy emo band who was bankrolled by Adrianna and Chris
    -...and of course, everybody's favorite: the crazed Russian guy in the woods that Chris and Paulie had a hard time tracking down (a/k/a The Celebrated "Pine Barrens" Episode)

Not since Seinfeld have I seen a show where this many one-episode characters nearly upstaged the stars.
    But, who cares?? Those characters obviously weren't major characters, and hardly "upstages the stars". I'm glad they didn't do some sappy reflection thing, where they run down all those random characters showing what happened to them, while some melancholy rock tune from the 70's plays in the background. They kept the plot tight and meaningful without cluttering it with extra bullshit, and that was a great choice.

cosign

but what about Hesch? They neglected a pretty major character that had been around since Season 1. and Artie. but whatever, yeah I guess I didn't NEED updates on them really.

• Options
    one last thing i saw on another board which seems to make sense. The last scene is tony's point of view.. last thing he sees is meadow walk in, and the sudden black is him getting popped.

That's how I saw it too.

no way. if tony was gonna die, we would have seen it.

Yeah - look, I'm don't want to bash people on something as subjective as trying to interpret signs and symbols in a tv show but I have this crazy pet peeve about how viewers try to auger these conclusions when there's no actual evidence within the text itself to arrive at such a reading.

And on that note, everyone leaves the water cooler and gets back to work.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Speaking of movies, and HBO TV shows...I just read that the "Sex and the City" movie is a go.

UGH. (But I'll still probably go.) Sigh.

That's like 3 years too late...WTF? But ill probably still go as well.

PS what was with the return of whats-her-name Meadow's friend who Chris' boy Brendan used to fuck with?

Lingering contract obligation? Seemed totally unnecessary.

Hunter is David Chase's daughter.

well that explains it thank you.

pretty lame of him though.

was that like a gift for her 21st birthday or something? "my little darling can have whatever she wants! after a pretty unremarkable Season 1 plot, I am gonna immortalize you by putting you in the final episode!"

nepotism is a bitch. yes mad doggie.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I know fiftyleven girls (including mine) and their posses of gay dudes who will be lined up to see that shit.

I know fiftyleven girls (including mine) and their posses of gay dudes who will be lined up to see that shit.

I own all the DVD's........

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LOL. I watch that shit though when wifey's got it on. I can't front.

But a movie? Damn.

Whick one of y'all gonna cop the super deluxe Soprano's DVD box when that shit drops for $$$$?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    LOL. I watch that shit though when wifey's got it on. I can't front.

But a movie? Damn.

I hear Mr. Big is gonna get wacked.

(no pun intended)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    PS what was with the return of whats-her-name Meadow's friend who Chris' boy Brendan used to fuck with?

was that like a gift for her 21st birthday or something? "my little darling can have whatever she wants! after a pretty unremarkable Season 1 plot, I am gonna immortalize you by putting you in the final episode!"

I'll say this much though: Hunter's turn from being this party girl disaster into a med school student certainly played into the anxiety of Carmela over Meadow's career arc. I thought the scene didn't fit very well (but neither have a lot of scenes this season) but it did underline the general uneasiness that permeated the episode - both in terms of the viewers' experience as well as those felt by Tony and Carmela over what will happen to their children.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    May I also add: "The Wire" Season 5 cannot come soon enough.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

But hey, in the history of this show even the minor characters on this program were so quirky, you wanted to know who/what/why...
    - the female tennis coach who apparently had lesbian designs of Adrianna
    - Vito's son who went goth
    - Livia's caretaker with the removable leg
    - "Jamal Ginsburg, the Hassidic Homeboy"
    - that female crime lord that sat in on one meeting (just the fact that she was a woman in a male-dominated profession...)
    - Hesch's young African-American girlfriend who died without a warning
    - that wimpy guy who fronted Visiting Day, a goofy emo band who was bankrolled by Adrianna and Chris
    -...and of course, everybody's favorite: the crazed Russian guy in the woods that Chris and Paulie had a hard time tracking down (a/k/a The Celebrated "Pine Barrens" Episode)

Not since Seinfeld have I seen a show where this many one-episode characters nearly upstaged the stars.

But, who cares??

Me, myself, and I, that's who. Remember now, I said "nearly[/b] upstaged the stars." I'm not insisting that Massive Genius should have a spinoff or that Dr. Melfi's son should be introed as Meadow's new love interest, but I'll remember the both of them quicker than any of Greg Brady's cheerleader girlfriends or the members of Fred Flintstone's bowling team. Just the fact that these minor characters are remembered at all (at least among folks I know in the real world, can't speak for Soul Strut) lets us know how well the scriptwriters crafted these minor background players.

• Options
    Did anybody stick around to watch John From Cincinnati? I recorded it to watch tonight, was it good? Should I make popcorn?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i loved the psychiatrist scene where tony cant help but talk about himself. great episode. i like the pov theory. it makes sense, with the bobby discussion about not seeing it happen.

fuckin great. if it sucked we'd have nothing to discuss.

• What do I think? It doesn't really matter, the way Chase left it you can write your own ending. Whatever you want to happen, happened. Happy now? I thought it was great, by the way, I need to watch it a few more times.

Yes, the ambiguity can't be argued. It has made for some fun discussions. At least most of you guys aren't in the camp taht the ending "tainted the whole thing".

Chase I heard is doing an interview for NJ.com tomorrow so maybe we'll get some insight there.

And yes, rootless, I thought it was the funniest ep ever. I laughed out loud at least 10+ times. I guess you didn't think so?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

I'll say this much though: Hunter's turn from being this party girl disaster into a med school student certainly played into the anxiety of Carmela over Meadow's career arc. I thought the scene didn't fit very well (but neither have a lot of scenes this season) but it did underline the general uneasiness that permeated the episode - both in terms of the viewers' experience as well as those felt by Tony and Carmela over what will happen to their children.

exactly. you can see a total mood change in carmela after she hears how well meadow is doing.

Mandrew, who was on the version of "You Keep Me Hangin On" was that that was played a couple of times?

vanilla fudge from the s/t album

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    just a thought....but if all those people at the diner were from prior episodes ( i think this has been confirmed), isn't it possible that they were figments of tony's imaginiation?

how likely is it that 3 different groups of people would all be at the same place trying to take him out? you could argue that the ny families wanted him dead so they organized a massive attack (possibly on his entire family), that is feasible, but they wouldnt need to hunt down all of tony's enemies in order to make a hit. in fact, that idea would make it much easier for them to get caught.

• Mandrew, who was on the version of "You Keep Me Hangin On" was that that was played a couple of times?

vanilla fudge from the s/t album

Really. It sure didn't sound like that one to me. It sounded more modern I thought. I'm not arguing w/ a dude who programs the music though.

• I can't find any links to info about Nicky Leotardo being listed as a shown character in any prior episodes. If that's really what's what...that's a serious cop-out.

I"ll buy off on "Tony died" as soon as a plausible storyline is presented.

there are a number of possibilities, and i don't think finding one is really the purpose, but for argument's sake... how about butch and the NY crew took out tony in front of his family just like tony took out phil in front of his. one could dispute this and question why butchie would fuck up the peace after they finally reached it, but you never know what was discussed offscreen.

just a thought....but if all those people at the diner were from prior episodes ( i think this has been confirmed)

uh...please to confirm?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    David Bianculli, on "Fresh Air," breaking down his theory.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10936209

Dude gets waaaay deep, analyzing the song choices.

Ha ha, I give that review three and a half 's out of five.

And yes, rootless, I thought it was the funniest ep ever. I laughed out loud at least 10+ times. I guess you didn't think so?

it had some great lines, and yeah I laughed.

but nowhere near the funniest for me.

just a thought....but if all those people at the diner were from prior episodes ( i think this has been confirmed), isn't it possible that they were figments of tony's imaginiation?

how likely is it that 3 different groups of people would all be at the same place trying to take him out? you could argue that the ny families wanted him dead so they organized a massive attack (possibly on his entire family), that is feasible, but they wouldnt need to hunt down all of tony's enemies in order to make a hit. in fact, that idea would make it much easier for them to get caught.

Keith,
    I think folks are likely to drive themselves mad with trying to reach too much logic into the scene. The points you raise are perfectly reasonable - three sets of potential killers, really? - but I don't think it indciates either a dream sequence or the coordination of assassins. Mostly, to me, it reflects Chase having fun with the audience and that whole scene is laden with all kinds of meanings, none of which have to be completely symbolic nor rational. If, as David Bincolli, argues, the song choices this season mean anything, the scene closes out all these suggestions and hints Chase is throwing our way but in the end, they may signify everything or nothing.

All I know is that until Chase meets that quiet blackness, he'll be asked, "so is he or isn't he?"

Prediction: A Sopranos movie will take place BEFORE the timeline of the last season. That way, it doesn't have to answer the central question and brings back previously fallen characters. Big Pussy Lives!

exactly. you can see a total mood change in carmela after she hears how well meadow is doing.

no doubt. the scene was not unnecessary, just Hunter's cameo. (almost) the same effect could have been had with Meadow causally mentioning Hunter's turnaround at dinner or something.

y'all are funny if you don't think Chase was flexing his muscle a little by putting his daughter in the last episode of the show. actually, given her long hiatus, I think he even intended for the audience to roll their eyes on some "oh brother he had to get his daughter in one last time." a subtle joke on his part IMO.

• HamHam 872 Posts

but nowhere near the funniest for me.

paulie picking up the broom to whack the cat, and starts sweeping when tony comes in, that was hilarious

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

Prediction: A Sopranos movie will take place BEFORE the timeline of the last season. That way, it doesn't have to answer the central question and brings back previously fallen characters. Big Pussy Lives!

Or maybe the movie will start with Tony getting popped in the diner and go backwards from there, like Pulp Fiction or Memento or somethin'.

Chase's daughter cameo > Coppola's.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

so are you gonna ask the Donald for some time off? (i might have butchered that line a bit)