The Last OFFICIAL Sopranos Thread(Spoilers)

Comments

• Sopranos the Novel coming soon, which is followed by the feature length film... really this show has been on a long time, with the hiatus and the pilot episode was shot two years before the show went into production, we're talking like 10 years now. Also when A&E picked up the syndication rights it flew up from something around the top 20 to the top 5 cable outlets. It's def a TV classic.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Brilliant ending!

Ambiguity is a beautiful thing.
    Very rare that it's used in film - especially so heavily like that.
    People are gonna hate, but fuck it.
    I loved it.

• LOL @ everyone trying to get all deep...

tony lived, phil got squashed...good enough for me!

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I don't know. It was a good enough ending. Pretty smart. They ended it with every possibility. Either the guy in the bathroom comes out and kills Tony, he goes to jail because the guy turned on him and will testify, or he's fine. All three endings in one without an ending. Not bad, not good, but over.

the best thing about this (if it were the ending) is that the guy in the bathroom would of came out and Meadow would of got popped. she wasnt there when he went in.....SEEEEEEE?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I understand what they are trying to do, I just think they have no sac by doing it.

• I don't know. It was a good enough ending. Pretty smart. They ended it with every possibility. Either the guy in the bathroom comes out and kills Tony, he goes to jail because the guy turned on him and will testify, or he's fine. All three endings in one without an ending. Not bad, not good, but over.

the best thing about this (if it were the ending) is that the guy in the bathroom would of came out and Meadow would of got popped. she wasnt there when he went in.....SEEEEEEE?

Maybe I'm being too deep.. but I think that was another part of it. With her parking shitty.. is that she either saved him or gets herself killed. The guy goes in with the plan of where Tony is so if he comes out he has no shot because he's there now and he doesn't get killed. Or he somehow shoots her cause she's there now. I don't think i can read into it too much because it ended with me supposed to read into it. At least that's what I think.

I will say they spent too much time on AJ for the last show.

to keep it music related. How played out is Journey???? You're the Sopranos not Laguna beach. Come on music man.

• I understand what they are trying to do, I just think they have no sac by doing it.

What would have been "sac-worthy"?

If Tony is not going to die, he goes back to normal mob boss life where there's always a rat and there's always impending doom.

Funniest episode ever and best whacking ever. I thought it was a tight way to end it and let's face it: they gotta leave some openings to revisit the characters if Jimmy G can't act in films and Chase is actually bereft of new ideas.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Episode was so $$$... if only it wasn't the ending.

David Chase was just fucking around -- he's like I have carte blanche to do whatever I want, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. He seems like he hates almost all of the characters and really wanted to make fun of it all as a final statement.

A.J. on Bob Dylan: "I heard this guy was amazing."

Phil's head literally getting squashed:

• Remember when Tony was recovering at his house after the wreck w/ Chrissie and they kept saying "Carlo's comin" "Where's Carlo".

Last shot of Paulie: sun-bathing in front of Satriale's w/ the cat (Chris) in the picture.

Chase definitely had fun w/ that last scene. Fuckin w/ us. Godfather nod.

What was w/ the Meadow parking stuff? False tension builder?

I look forward to catching this again in a few on West so I can watch it w/ an appraising eye instead of looking around each upcoming corner.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    No doubt, my heart was beating in that last scene. I thought the whole family was going to get shot up but Meadow was going to avoid it with her parking prowess.

• one last thing i saw on another board which seems to make sense. The last scene is tony's point of view.. last thing he sees is meadow walk in, and the sudden black is him getting popped.

• More.

Phil's ways proved to be irrelevant and imprudent. He alienated his own crew. The "old school" mentality and taking/making things personal was his undoing. Whenever it was Tony and Johnny Sac (RIP), it always came down to business and pragmatism. Tony's way ended up being the "right way".

Mandrew, who was on the version of "You Keep Me Hangin On" was that that was played a couple of times?

And, The Non, you're not alone in your criticism if TWP.com forums are any barometer. I just don't get it. If the dude didn't die or get put in jail, that last scene completely encapsulates what the rest of his life as a free man will be like.

• one last thing i saw on another board which seems to make sense. The last scene is tony's point of view.. last thing he sees is meadow walk in, and the sudden black is him getting popped.

I don't buy it.

Again, after 7 seasons, why would anyone expect some sort of definitive conclusion? If Tony were going to die, you'dve seen it.

I don't buy it.

Again, after 7 seasons, why would anyone expect some sort of definitive conclusion? If Tony were going to die, you'dve seen it.

yeah i changed my mind. I think what I thought before. Choose your own ending. They're all there.

one last thing i saw on another board which seems to make sense. The last scene is tony's point of view.. last thing he sees is meadow walk in, and the sudden black is him getting popped.

??
    Wasn't that our POV of Tony?
    If it was Tony's POV, wouldn't the last thing we see be Meadow walking in the door before the black out?
    Sayin.

• Who's even trying to kill Tony at this point?

Chase made you question yourself as a viewer. He made you get all tense there when there is no reason to be.

The more I think about it, the more brilliant and perfect it seems.

Thanks also for one last Tony and Junior scene.

??
    Wasn't that our POV of Tony?
    If it was Tony's POV, wouldn't the last thing we see be Meadow walking in the door before the black out?
    Sayin.

yes.. that's exactly why a minute after posting it and remembering they did show Tony again after she walked in I typed that I changed my mind.

FINAL CALLLLLLLLLL... Nothing happened. He just made us all paraonoid.

John Sayles "Limbo" just came to mind.
    Same exact ending.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I was freaking out during that last scene and then I thought my TV broke!

I was thinking Tony was about to get shot or arrested by Members Only dude. And was or was not Paulie acting extra shifty in this episode? I thought he turned and that would have fucked everyone up. MAYBE HE DID. (Sopranos the movie Summer 09)

So yeah I guess I like the ending because Phil's head got smushed and a cat moved in (Chrissy reincarnated).

"I'm miffled"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Mandrew, who was on the version of "You Keep Me Hangin On" was that that was played a couple of times?

I ain't Mandrew, but I figured they couldn't get the rights to the Vanilla Fudge recording, so they had some anonymous modern-day session guys do an exact copy.

I was freaking out during that last scene and then I thought my TV broke!

That evidently makes three of us.

Meadow's plotline has been very light this season. Between her relative lateness, her wretched parallel parking and her worried expression, I figured that something bad just happened to her or was about to.

Apart from Phil meeting his maker (and one or two other mild shockers), this was very much a "slice of life" ep where nothing happened. I realized this around the second half-hour when I noticed the show's pace moving along slowly. Had a gut feeling the show was gonna go out like this.

• Obviously everyone who watched that ep was tensed out during the final scene at the diner.

But why, really?

Following the storyline, who is out there that wants Tony dead?

Interesting note: as soon as Tony tells Carm about Carlo and possible impending legal troubles, the lyric hits "it goes on and on and on and on".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wouldn't call the whole ep "fucking brilliant" but it was good and satisfying and did not, remotely, disappoint.

I think most of the people here had it right: the ending simply reflects not just the ambiguity of "what will happen?" but gives us, in a very subtle way, what it's like to be Tony. Every time the door opens, you don't know what's going to happen and that's the kind of shit you have hanging over your head. It didn't do it in a way that was tortured, but the kind of tension we felt as viewers - each time the bell over the door rang - I think Chase and Co. were making the simple point that for Tony, whatever peace or drama exists in his life - with family, with the crew, whatever - he can never be sure what's around the corner.

I thought that whole scene was rich. For more preferable than what could have happened: witness protection (as if), jailed (whatever) or, as most assumed, Tony gets Scarfaced. Instead, the show doesn't have a big drum roll - it just ends...a little bit mundanely, a little bit ominously.

If I can bitch about something, I did feel like, outside of Tony, and maybe Carmela too, most of this season did few favors to any of the other major characters. AJ certainly scored a lot of screen time but his character was no better developed at the end than it had been all season. Meadow was barely there, figuratively and literally, and Christopher's death seemed like an afterthought (without Adrianna, Chrissie just isn't remotely that interesting).

I would have liked to see Paulie get killed - just for karma's sake - but hey, who knows?

And it's that "who knows?" quality that the series went out with. Feelin' it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Two things I forgot to say:

Phil getting his head crushed was . I mean...damn.

Second, I, for one, don't want to see a movie. Seriously, what could they do with it that the series couldn't do on its own?

Let the "Sopranos" be.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    I wouldn't call the whole ep "fucking brilliant" but it was good and satisfying and did not, remotely, disappoint.

I think most of the people here had it right: the ending simply reflects not just the ambiguity of "what will happen?" but gives us, in a very subtle way, what it's like to be Tony. Every time the door opens, you don't know what's going to happen and that's the kind of shit you have hanging over your head. It didn't do it in a way that was tortured, but the kind of tension we felt as viewers - each time the bell over the door rang - I think Chase and Co. were making the simple point that for Tony, whatever peace or drama exists in his life - with family, with the crew, whatever - he can never be sure what's around the corner.

I thought that whole scene was rich. For more preferable than what could have happened: witness protection (as if), jailed (whatever) or, as most assumed, Tony gets Scarfaced. Instead, the show doesn't have a big drum roll - it just ends...a little bit mundanely, a little bit ominously.

If I can bitch about something, I did feel like, outside of Tony, and maybe Carmela too, most of this season did few favors to any of the other major characters. AJ certainly scored a lot of screen time but his character was no better developed at the end than it had been all season. Meadow was barely there, figuratively and literally, and Christopher's death seemed like an afterthought (without Adrianna, Chrissie just isn't remotely that interesting).

I would have liked to see Paulie get killed - just for karma's sake - but hey, who knows?

And it's that "who knows?" quality that the series went out with. Feelin' it.

Very well said...

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts

Phil getting his head crushed was . I mean...damn.

That scene with the school kids watching the old timer's head being ran over reminded me of The Wire. Bring season 5 on! HBO is on the money...

There were way too many plotlines and characters throughout this whole series to be wrapped up neatly. Last night was probably the most we've seen of Janis since the season opened and her husband Bobby kicked Tony's ass all over the waterfront. Artie the restaurant owner wasn't there at all (did his character have a falling out with Tony?).

But hey, in the history of this show even the minor characters on this program were so quirky, you wanted to know who/what/why...
    - the female tennis coach who apparently had lesbian designs of Adrianna
    - Vito's son who went goth
    - Livia's caretaker with the removable leg
    - "Jamal Ginsburg, the Hassidic Homeboy"
    - that female crime lord that sat in on one meeting (just the fact that she was a woman in a male-dominated profession...)
    - Hesch's young African-American girlfriend who died without a warning
    - that wimpy guy who fronted Visiting Day, a goofy emo band who was bankrolled by Adrianna and Chris
    -...and of course, everybody's favorite: the crazed Russian guy in the woods that Chris and Paulie had a hard time tracking down (a/k/a The Celebrated "Pine Barrens" Episode)

Not since Seinfeld have I seen a show where this many one-episode characters nearly upstaged the stars.

• Options
    one last thing i saw on another board which seems to make sense. The last scene is tony's point of view.. last thing he sees is meadow walk in, and the sudden black is him getting popped.

That's how I saw it too. The sudden cut to black, mid-lyric in the song. I also thought my tv was fucked up for a sec, but then gave it some thought whle the credits were rolling and that's how I see it ending.

• Yeah some of those characters we're nobodies and deserved not to be used as filler anymore, but hesch.. he and tony we're going at it this season over the money issue's. You'd have thought he would be bumped off or some how play a pivital role or at least be mentioned! After watching this episode two more times lastnite David Chase did the right thing. They touched back on a lot of old stuff from earlier seasons. When paulie and tony we're sitting out front at the end talking about hot gigi died takin a shit and paulie was afraid to take over that crew. I had almost forgot about how funny that scene was. I liked having it end with the basic idea of life went on as usual for the family. So you watched the entire final scene thinking the next guy to walk in was gonna start blasting. It was really good and kept you waiting and waiting. In the end everything is what it is!! Soprano life goes on and the world is still a fuk'd up place. I believe this will be much more talked about rather then tony dyin or any other story they could have wrote.

I guess they had to scratch the original ending scene which took place in a ice cream parlor?? at least that's what i remember a while ago from some protests by local politicians in new jersey who did not want the show filmed in the town/city.