2007 MOTHERF*CKING MLB THREAD BEYACHES!!

1121314151618»

Comments

• Whats with the ??, can't they afford some better beer??

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Don't deny it. It's your destiny.

I'll never join you.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Whats with the ??, can't they afford some better beer??

^^^ FAN OF TEAM NOT[/b] IN WORLD SERIES ^^^

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Whats with the ??, can't they afford some better beer??

^^^ FAN OF TEAM NOT[/b] IN WORLD SERIES ^^^

They spent all their beer money on Dice-K and J.D. Drew

• Frickin' Rockies website crashed before they sold 300 tickets today and it's still not back up. Geniuses weren't ready for a million people to log on at once, I guess. The good thing is, I still have a chance to get tickets, as long as the site goes back up before I leave work. Of course, I'll be content watching it on TV and making 3x my money on the tickets if I get 'em...

Boston looked good these last few games, I think this series is going to be tough to call. I don't think the Rockies are out of juice yet.........

Boston looked good these last few games, I think this series is going to be tough to call. I don't think the Rockies are out of juice yet.........

It's a toss-up in my book. The Rockies were on a next level tear going into the series, but they'll have had two weeks off come Wednesday, so who knows how they'll come out. They could be rested and sharp, or rusty and sluggish. The popular saying is that momentum is only as good as your next starting pitcher, but they've had great pitching all year, so...

The Sox have looked pretty good the last few games, but they're far from invincible. They've still got serious questions in the bullpen and some holes in their lineup, and that's without considering what Dice-K and Wake might or might not give you. But they also have a bit more talent and experience (admittedly paid for as often as developed), which will show itself as the series goes on.

I think it'll go six or seven games no matter who wins, and I wouldn't lay any money on either team.

GO SOX, BABY! We live for this shit.

• It's a toss-up in my book. The Rockies were on a next level tear going into the series, but they'll have had two weeks off come Wednesday, so who knows how they'll come out. They could be rested and sharp, or rusty and sluggish. The popular saying is that momentum is only as good as your next starting pitcher, but they've had great pitching all year, so...

Plus, we had 5 days off after sweeping the Phillies, only to sweep the Dbacks with no hesitation. As far as I'm concerned, the time off isn't affecting them in a negative way.

I agree though, I wouldn't put money on either team at this point... Truly a gamble.

• Geniuses weren't ready for a million people to log on at once, I guess.

Did I say 1 million? Sorry, I meant 8.5 million. That's how many hits the website got at 10 AM MTN time this morning. They still aren't back up and don't know when they will be. The ticket company's servers crashed and shut down all of their North American ticket sales. Sucks for them!

Whatcha Yanks fans think of Joe Girardi?

He sure looks like a Yankee manager, at least.

He could definitely spark an undermanned squad to fight
    for the division, but watch out he doesn't blow out Joba's
    arm in one season.

... and Torre going to LA is good news for Sox fans
    who don't want A-Rod - since Torre's being there makes
    the likelihood of Rodriguez signing with LA quite high

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

conventional wisdom in NYC seems to say the opposite for some reason... he was never really that tight w/ Torre...

people seem to think the Angels are in the front, b/c Vladdy neats support in the lineup...

personally, i think A-Rod is a grade A asshole and any team that will pay him more than he makes now are suckers... he is garbage in the clutch and clubhouse poison... my hat will go off to Boras if he can find a team dumb enuff to pay A-rod 30 mill a year... that contract was signed when salaries were at their all time high... personally if i ran a team, the most i could possibly justify spending on A-Rod is 20 mill... regardless, i hope Hank Steinbrenner sticks to his guns and does not resign him... the Yankees were the only fit for A-rod and he FINALLY got comfortable there this year... the fact that he wants to leave that shows how dumb he is... i hope he ends up taking a big paycut, which i kinda think will happen... there just aren't many teams who could afford him who really want him...

• Whatcha Yanks fans think of Joe Girardi?

He sure looks like a Yankee manager, at least.

He could definitely spark an undermanned squad to fight
    for the division, but watch out he doesn't blow out Joba's
    arm in one season.

the Yanks will not be "undermanned" in April. Speaking of which, I think you guys have some shopping to do. Winning is an expensive habit.

and I agree with the sentiments above, Torre and A-Rod were never tight.

the Yanks will not be "undermanned" in April.

You think your starting rotation will be solid this year?

Aren't you guys in "transition" mode?

It wasn't meant as a dig at the Yanks, just what I thought
    was conventional wisdom.

Yeah, we got some shopping to do, but not much.

• the Yanks will not be "undermanned" in April.

was conventional wisdom.

We started 12 different pitchers in 2006 and 11 different pitchers in 2007 (including 7 rookies). I don't think 2008 could be characterized as a transition year. If anything, it has to be more stable than the preceding year. We got a good pack of rookie arms that got a lot of mound time in 07 and it seems like our young crew of Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes, and Kennedy is locked for next year.

Cla Bucholz and Jon Lester for Johan Santana, then leave Coco out by the curb for the lady that picks up my empty beer bottles, and call it an offseason.

the Yanks will not be "undermanned" in April.

was conventional wisdom.

We started 12 different pitchers in 2006 and 11 different pitchers in 2007 (including 7 rookies). I don't think 2008 could be characterized as a transition year. If anything, it has to be more stable than the preceding year. We got a good pack of rookie arms that got a lot of mound time in 07 and it seems like our young crew of Wang, Chamberlain, Hughes, and Kennedy is locked for next year.

OK, well now that we got that out of the way (I really wasn't taking shots at the Yanks,
    just basing my opinion of their future on what I hear on radio & ESPN, etc), any Yankee
    fans want to answer my original question and let me know how you feel about Girardi
    as your new manager? He's an interesting character, alot of upside but some very rough
    edges, no doubt.

• There was a little dig in there against the Yanks, admit it. Given your feelings about the team, do you not think that it's possible?

Anyway, as far as Girardi goes, I'm waiting to see what happens. I think the Yanks needed a new approach as much as I loved and respected Torre. What was working for the 96-00 Yankees was not necessarily what was working for the 01-07 incarnation (even though they came very close to winning two WS during those years). I thought Girardi did a good job on damage control with the Marlins after they pretty much lost their entire team in 06. The job in NY is much different: there's media attention, huge salaries and even bigger egos, and the pressure of following one of the greatest managers of all time. I think his approach could be really good but I'm interested to see how he handles all the young guys on the team.

In other words--it could be good or it could be bad. But I'd rather have him than Mattingly who would've been a poor man's Torre and not necessarily the change we needed.

There was a little dig in there against the Yanks, admit it. Given your feelings about the team, do you not think that it's possible?

Actually, you fixated on the word "undermanned" and didn't notice that I said
    you would probably be competing for the division again - so it wasn't a dig at
    all. I'm just wondering about Girardi's rep for overusing young pitchers and
    blowing out their arms, since that is what you guys are working with.

Thanks for answering my question, though.

... and I may "hate" the Yanks, but I also respect them.

At least the Sox and Yanks go way back in this bitch. I respect
    the old school, and I respect a long-standing and dedicated fanbase.

It's more of a rivalry with me than a hatred, although Yanks fans have
    alwways contended it's not a "rivalry" because the Sox weren't really
    competition for the Yanks ... at least that seems to be changing these
    past few years.

• You said "fighting" for the division, not competing for the division. Fighting connotes struggling, not competing.

I give up.

• Does that mean I win?

But seriously, my team just imploded and the Red Sox won the World Series, I'm a little sensitive right now.

• Cla Bucholz and Jon Lester for Johan Santana

Santana will not be leaving the Twins. Torii Hunter goes first.

• Twins trade Santana to Mets.

• Twins trade Santana to Mets.

Dude is going to be a monster in the NL.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Twins trade Santana to Mets.

Dude is going to be a monster in the NL.

As a Marlins fan, I welcome a Johan Santana/Scott Olsen opening day.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

Not like the Fish are gonna compete until '09/'10 anyway when Johnson/Sanchez/Nolasco are back, and the bevy of arms + Maybin mature. Oh well.

At least it makes the Phillies' job of contending with the Utley/Howard/Rollins/Hamels core that much harder - hee hee.

• New York Mets, advance go to the World Series.

I hate to see the ace of MLB go, but with a new park opening up in a couple more years, it's time to look to the future.

New York Mets, advance go to the World Series.

I hate to see the ace of MLB go, but with a new park opening up in a couple more years, it's time to look to the future.

I thought they included a "ballpark to be named later" along with Santana in the deal.

In all seriousness, though, it will be nice to see a Sox/Mets World Series rematch. Paying off old debts, as it were. 2008 World Series=Red Sox in six games. Call your bookie.