2007 MOTHERF*CKING MLB THREAD BEYACHES!!

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    COCO CRISP. is this not the coolest name in all of sports breakfast[/b]?

Since '04 seems like them are the white middle class team of choice.

Tell me about it. Pink-hatted jackasses that buy up an entire season's worth of tickets in 12 hours. WHERE WERE THEY IN 1992? I want my bleacher seats back.

You'd think the Yanks could at least beat up the Tribe
    for us a little before we have to face them, but no -
    looks like they are just going to lay down and die.

Yeah, I was hoping it would go 5, no matter who won. Clemens looked straight Romo-esque, no?

Can we handle Sabbathia and Carmona? I think we can. I give it to the Sox in 6. Beckett beats Sabbathia for one and we beat up Cleveland's bullpen after forcing Carmona out after 6. But I'm certainly more impressed with Cleveland's top two starters than with Wang and...was Pettite their number two? Clemens?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Break up these effing ROCKIES! I find it hard not to love this team.

18 for the last 19 games (!?!), and the last time they lost was against Brandon Webb, the man they bested tonight.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ugh.

I love baseball, but the one thing that kills me
    is the long, slow burn of some games. I mean, yeah,
    I'm mad doggie that the Sox lost that game last night,
    but it's not the simple LOSING that killed me so much
    as the 6 hour intense brain-fry that it took to get there!
    I seriously haven't been that emotionally drained by a
    sporting event since ... ever?

AND I NEVER WANT TO SEE THIS TERD ON THE MOUND AGAIN:

Looks like we got ourselves a series, kids!

Any genuine Indians fans on this board, or just
    a bunch of jelly Yankees headz rubbing their beads
    together and praying for a Red Sox loss?

• Are you crazy or what??? the RED SOX are the new millenium evil empire.

J.D. DREW 14 million dollar salary = 5 of the indians starting players salary combined. You should be kickin the shit out of these worthless Indians with that kinda money for a player.

They have slowly turned into exactly what all you boston fans hated.. money money money, mooooooooooooney.

I don't need to pray for them to lose, cause they already are what your supposed red sox nation hated the most. A BIG MONEY HIGH PAYROLL BALL TEAM!!

ohhhhhh to be what you once hated is so

• ^^^You sound like a Devil Rays fan.

The Sox have pretty much always spent second only to the Yanks.
    All the "they spend all the money" shit has been more of a
    local joke than anything over the years. The rest of your
    analysis of the ALCS was bullshit. Nobody was taking the Indians
    lightly, certainly not I nor any knowledgeable Red Sox fan.

But the real question is, why are you posting in the MLB thread?
    The team that you ride for is on vacation. Maybe you should take one too.

• 20-1, 1 game from world series!!!

• D-Backs can't recover from that.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Since '04 seems like them are the white middle class team of choice.

Tell me about it. Pink-hatted jackasses that buy up an entire season's worth of tickets in 12 hours. WHERE WERE THEY IN 1992? I want my bleacher seats back.

i'd rather watch a good team on TV than a bad team in person... and i grew up going to the bleachers from the 80's on...

• The Sox have pretty much always spent second only to the Yanks.
    All the "they spend all the money" shit has been more of a
    local joke than anything over the years. The rest of your
    analysis of the ALCS was bullshit. Nobody was taking the Indians
    lightly, certainly not I nor any knowledgeable Red Sox fan.

But the real question is, why are you posting in the MLB thread?
    The team that you ride for is on vacation. Maybe you should take one too.

Ok clamchowder.. Just cause MY team is done, I don't like baseball??? rigggght

"If there really was a Curse, as Red Sox fans like to say, perhaps it came with a codicil: You become what you hate.

With the Yankees now vanquished and leaderless, and their principal owner's faculties in question, the Red Sox can no longer be portrayed with much sympathy. The sentimental underpinnings on which the Red Sox Nation was created owed everything to that team in the Bronx. The Red Sox can be underdogs only in relation to the Yankees.

But now that notion has perished. The Red Sox are the best team in baseball. They should beat the Cleveland Indians and win the World Series without too much difficulty. Still, it's difficult to root for a team that can pay $14 million per to J.D. Drew, who, by the way, won't even start in Game 1 of the ALCS.

According to Opening Day salary figures, the Red Sox began the season as a $143 million enterprise (this excludes the $6 million salary they'd pay a mid-season pickup Eric Gagne). The Indians, by contrast, had a $61 million payroll. That gap ??? approximately $82 million ??? is considerably more than the gap between the Red Sox and the Yankees.

The Yankees have committed any number of profligate and mercenary acts (the $28 million prorated salary for Roger Clemens comes first to mind, though Jason Giambi and Carl Pavano are up there, too). Still, a good chunk of the Yankee payroll has gone to proven players who never played for another major league team: Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, Hideki Matsui and, in years past, Bernie Williams.

The Red Sox, by contrast, have not exactly been models of continuity. Julio Lugo, for example, is their fourth starting shortstop since 2004, when they won the World Series with Orlando Cabrera. Of the 25 players on Boston's World Series roster, only eight remain with the team: Manny Ramirez, David Ortiz, Curt Schilling, Mike Timlin, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield, Doug Mirabelli and Kevin Youkilis (who didn't get a World Series at-bat). Of those eight, it bears mention, only two made their big league debuts with Boston.

It's been almost five years since Red Sox president Larry Lucchino labeled the Yankees "The Evil Empire." It was a great line, and sportswriters everywhere remain indebted to him. But let's frame its context. His utterance followed the Yankees' signing of Jose Contreras, a move that once again demonstrated the Empire's capacity for expensive folly. Still, one imagines Lucchino vowing it would never happen again.

In 2007, the Red Sox outbid everyone, including the Yankees, for the rights to Daisuke Matsuzaka. Those rights came at a price of $51 million. And though that figure is not reflected in the Red Sox payroll, it represents almost 84 percent of the Indians' Opening Day roster budget, which was 23rd in the majors. Then again, Cleveland is almost a big market team compared to the Rockies and the Diamondbacks (25th and 26th in payroll at $54 million and $52 million, respectively).

But back to the ALCS, which begins tonight at Fenway Park. Perhaps you shall hear from those venerable voices of Red Sox Nation, Doris Kearns and Stephen King. Or maybe it will be a newcomer, like Kevin Garnett. They will extol the virtues of Boston's baseball team. But what are those, exactly?

Save for a withering owner, the Red Sox are not at all unlike their former nemesis. They are an empire of their own now. And if you rooted for the Red Sox because they weren't the Yankees, aren't you now obligated to root for the Indians?

Do the math. Add the salaries of C.C. Sabathia, Fausto Carmona, Grady Sizemore, Franklin Guttierrez, Jhonny Peralta, Chris Gomez, Rafael Betancourt, Rafael Perez and Ryan Garko.

Now what do you have?

About a half million less than J.D. Drew."

Mark Kriegel
    FOXSports.com

p.s. the Indians are pathetic, they just get lucky.. boston actually has a good team and should sweep them easily as 1 2 3 4.

p.s. the Indians are pathetic, they just get lucky.. boston actually has a good team and should sweep them easily as 1 2 3 4.

Uh, yeah, so pathetic they beat your Yanks in 4 games.

You are such a fraud.

• boston actually has a good team and should sweep them easily as 1 2 3 4.

Uhh, didn't the Indians already win one before you posted this??

• Yawn. Typical ignorant Yankee fan.

• I can't believe the Rockies just swept all the way to the World Series. Bleacher seats start at $65 (usually $4). Damn.

• So if Dice-K's salary is not figured into the overall payroll of the BoSox, does that mean they're on par with or (shock) AHEAD of the Yankees?

So if Dice-K's salary is not figured into the overall payroll of the BoSox, does that mean they're on par with or (shock) AHEAD of the Yankees?

With the Yankees at $195 million and the Sox at $143 million for 2007, I would say no. Your Yanks are the league leader by almost exactly the entire payroll of the Rockies at $54 million.

Close, though.

Not really.

Yankees at $195 million

Oh, wait???that doesn't include Clemens's $18 million, for which he went 6-6.

Who are these "Yankees" people keep mentioning?

• Yankees at $195 million

And yours doesn't include the 51mil Dice-K bid, which would bring you up to 194m. Just a mil short of the "Evil Empire", and what's a mil here or there?

I thought the Clemens sign was absolutely fucked. A lot of NYers did... terrible idea.

• Who are these "Yankees" people keep mentioning?

The team you guys are trying to be.

Who are these "Yankees" people keep mentioning?

The team you guys are trying to be.

If you mean "trying to be" by also losing to the Indians,
    then you may be onto something. If you mean that old "now
    you spend like the Yankees" BS, just like I told Obscure
    Addict: the Sox have always been a big-spending team ...
    just second to the Yanks ... and we still are.

Yankees at $195 million

And yours doesn't include the 51mil Dice-K bid, which would bring you up to 194m. Just a mil short of the "Evil Empire", and what's a mil here or there?

True, but the $51 million isn't technically payroll. If you want to include it, though, you need to prorate it over the length of the deal, which is six years at a little less than $9 million per. Plus, you didn't include Clemens's $18 million, which leaves the final tally:

2007 Red Sox???$152 million
    2007 Yankees???$212 million

But what's $60 mil here or there?

• Considering the playoffs are being dominated by teams with tiny payrolls, I don't see why everyone is so fixated on how much money each team spends. Some dude earlier in this thread said that the Yankees' spending is ruining baseball for small market teams. Um, how? Arizona, Colorado, and Cleveland all seem to be doing fine. The only big market team left in the playoffs are the Sox from the thriving metropolis of Boston [snicker].

The only big market team left in the playoffs are the Sox from the thriving metropolis of Boston [snicker].

You're lucky the Yankees didn't make it to the ALCS, or you'd be getting ready to lose a bet right about now.

• It's just something to aim at - "oh, your team is mercenary, hired guns, big budget, blah blah"

There's certainly a david-goliath fascination with small-market teams. It's just that the Red Sox, who as SOI mentioned have been second only to the Yankees in spending for years, fed off a perception that they were far more of a small market team than they were. This perception was fueled by their inability to win a single championship until 2004. Now I wager there's more "Red Sox Nation" in various cities around the country than there are migrated Yankees fans.

Now I wager there's more "Red Sox Nation" in various cities around the country than there are migrated Yankees fans.

Trust me, life-long Boston residents and Sox fans are
    not thrilled by the "Red Sox Nation" BS ... most of
    these "pink hat" fans are viewed as frauds by the real
    headz ...

• Why is this thread called "the MLB thread"?

It should be re-titled "Yankees BoSox Pissing Match"

Hey, neither will get the chance to lose to the Rockies, so who cares?