NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I was a big Ben Wallace fan when he was with D-town, and when I heard he was going to Chicago, I was excited. It's been sort of a let down so far. I think the problem is, he's a straight up defender, and I think the Bulls need a center who contributes more on offense in the low post.

Such as, perhaps, Tyson Chandler... who is not only outscoring but is also outrebounding Ben?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I was a big Ben Wallace fan when he was with D-town, and when I heard he was going to Chicago, I was excited. It's been sort of a let down so far. I think the problem is, he's a straight up defender, and I think the Bulls need a center who contributes more on offense in the low post.

Such as, perhaps, Tyson Chandler... who is not only outscoring but is also outrebounding Ben?

The scoring has a lot to do with playing with one of the best young point guards in the league though. Chandler is also a much younger player, I think he's barely 24. It was an interesting move, Chicago dudes still look at it like a "lateral move" though.

• I hope.

Word is that Randolph, Miles, Magloire and our first round pick (i'm thinking it will be somewhere between 4 and 7) are all bait to trade up in the draft.

Just think of this back court.....Aldridge, Lewis (crossing my fingers) and Oden (if we can trade up the draft).

..... Roy and Jack in the the front.

Noah, McRoberts and Horford would all be good picks too....if we couldnt move up in the draft.

That shit will be scary in a few years.

The scoring has a lot to do with playing with one of the best young point guards in the league though. Chandler is also a much younger player, I think he's barely 24. It was an interesting move, Chicago dudes still look at it like a "lateral move" though.

I don't doubt it; I don't know if I've seen them play this year.

Still, though, Chandler is second in the league in rebounding... and he's doing what he's doing for a little more than half what they're paying Ben.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I don't doubt it; I don't know if I've seen them play this year.

Still, though, Chandler is second in the league in rebounding... and he's doing what he's doing for a little more than half what they're paying Ben.

Skiles, really, isn't that great of a coach. Guys like Curry and Chandler probably needed more positive reinforcement than he was capable. I was reading that Byron Scott has had success with Chandler by requiring him to "just shoot the ball."

I am waiting for the Bulls not to resign Michael Sweetney, and for him to get picked up, get in shape, and be an absolute monster somewhere else, continuing in the trend of Bulls playing better elsewhere.

I think Chi was looking for a vet with some finals experience with Ben. I think Chandler with Paul and the Hornets is a nice fit though, I think he has more room to shine in NO/OKC than he did in Chicago.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    bitter and adamant

--------too great of a location for me to let it slide

I hope.

Word is that Randolph, Miles, Magloire and our first round pick (i'm thinking it will be somewhere between 4 and 7) are all bait to trade up in the draft.

Just think of this back court.....Aldridge, Lewis (crossing my fingers) and Oden (if we can trade up the draft).

..... Roy and Jack in the the front.

Noah, McRoberts and Horford would all be good picks too....if we couldnt move up in the draft.

That shit will be scary in a few years.

Yeah, aside form whatever happens in the draft, I can see Roy turning into a great player in a few years. Everytime I watch a Portland game, that kid is going off.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    But will Roy be R.O.Y.? Who is considered the favorite?

• No doubt.

I think it a complete joke that ESPN is making it out to even be a a race for ROY between Roy and Bargnani.

Roy is the unanimous choice for the award....NO QUESTION.

Hell, Aldridge (easily the rookie of the month in March) has had a better season then Bargnani. Again though, Portland gets no national exposure....so nobody knows whats up with them.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Skiles, really, isn't that great of a coach. Guys like Curry and Chandler probably needed more positive reinforcement than he was capable. I was reading that Byron Scott has had success with Chandler by requiring him to "just shoot the ball."

You are not alone in that sentiment. I think Skiles has fucked up everywhere he's been, and robbed some players of seasons which could have been much better.
    Also, who here reads freedarko? (has this been discussed?) They recently acquired Billups (the writer) on their staff, and he wrote an entertaining piece for people like me that want to slap Skiles on the back of the head and say "NO!" like you would to a dog that just shit on the floor.
    http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2007/03/if-i-inflict-pain-then-baby-only-i-can.html

You are not alone in that sentiment. I think Skiles has fucked up everywhere he's been, and robbed some players of seasons which could have been much better.
    Also, who here reads freedarko? (has this been discussed?) They recently acquired Billups (the writer) on their staff, and he wrote an entertaining piece for people like me that want to slap Skiles on the back of the head and say "NO!" like you would to a dog that just shit on the floor.
    http://freedarko.blogspot.com/2007/03/if-i-inflict-pain-then-baby-only-i-can.html

"B.G., do you see a midget anywhere around here? One that might be talking backwards? And is there an old woman holding a log that I'm not seeing? No, right? So I'm not dreaming. This is not Twin Peaks. Then could you tell me why the Grinch Who Stole My Contract Extension is putting hands on me?"[/b]

Billups to Freedarko: most important free agent signing of the season.

yeah the rookies this year weren't that deep, you got Roy, Bargnani, Foye, Gay, Morrison, Aldridge, Tyrus Thomas, that's about all I can think of, and out of those it seems like Roy would be the obvious top choice. Bargnani has a much better team surrounding him, so if you just look at individual stats, it's hard to determine who's better. Bargnani gets less minutes. Roy gets more boards as a guard than Bargnani as a forward but Roy averages 10 more minutes a game than Bargnani. I would think Roy would be well recognized if his team started to make a run late in the season like Toronto did. Doesn't seem like anybody was checking for Toronto before the AS break. And if they were, they were probably checking for Bosh/Ford.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No doubt.

I think it a complete joke that ESPN is making it out to even be a a race for ROY between Roy and Bargnani.

Roy is the unanimous choice for the award....NO QUESTION.

Hell, Aldridge (easily the rookie of the month in March) has had a better season then Bargnani. Again though, Portland gets no national exposure....so nobody knows whats up with them.

Is he? He missed like 20 games at the beginning of theseason. Bargnani & them are 1st or 2nd in the Atlantic w/ a chance to be in the Playoffs. Portland didnt do Jack(Jared) this season.

Roy is crazy nice though.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Billups to Freedarko: most important free agent signing of the season.

I realized when they announced it in the introduction of an article one day and within 30 seconds after 9:00am I get 4 instant messages along the lines of "DID YOU SEE BILLUPS IS ON FREEDARKO?????" that I am quite possibly, the biggest geek I know. All my friends who watch the NBA and read freedarko religiously are geeks too. It's amazing any of us ever get laid. (I think that a lot about the strut too )
    Glad to hear I am not totally alone in my internet fanboyisms though.

• Saying Portland has done nothing this season is a bit rough. At the beginning of the season it was a question mark if the team would even stay in Portland. Now, people are filling up the Garden and the team is staying put.

This is a young team is still getting its footing, much like Toronto last year. In fact it wouldn???t be a stretch to say Portland is the Toronto of the west (and vice versa).

If Roy missing 17 games is a factor.....what about Bargnani missing the rest of the regular season? Not to mention Bargnani has only turned it on the last half of the season. Roy has been clutch all year (including pre-season).

Roy for ROY.....there is no other choice.

• A little national shine this past week in USA today:

"Brandon Roy, the Portland Trail Blazers' first-year guard/forward, is making the rookie of the year race a one-man show. Roy played only five games in November and six in December due to injury, but he was the Western Conference rookie of the month in both January and February and he has started March like he is going to win the honor again."

• Yuichi, this should soothe your aching rump: Kobe's gonna go for at least 50 tonight. Maybe 60.

He's got 46 and most of the 4th.
    Downside is they still might lose to the Grizz.

Watup OG,

60, the win, and a page in history. I'll take that.

Yuichi

First to do it since Jordan. Nice job, Kobe. Looks like he's gonna lock in that scoring title this year. He deserves it.

I'm more interested in how the Lakers will perform as a team in the playoffs. They aren't gonna win a 7 game series against the Spurs, Suns, or Rockets with Kobe and Odom being the only ones playing. Where's Walton? Is he stepping up lately or what? Are Farmar and Bynum still getting minutes?

meanwhile, the kobe bryant shoes are on sale in my neighborhood for $30

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yuichi, this should soothe your aching rump: Kobe's gonna go for at least 50 tonight. Maybe 60.

He's got 46 and most of the 4th.
    Downside is they still might lose to the Grizz.

Watup OG,

60, the win, and a page in history. I'll take that.

Yuichi

First to do it since Jordan. Nice job, Kobe. Looks like he's gonna lock in that scoring title this year. He deserves it.

I'm more interested in how the Lakers will perform as a team in the playoffs. They aren't gonna win a 7 game series against the Spurs, Suns, or Rockets with Kobe and Odom being the only ones playing. Where's Walton? Is he stepping up lately or what? Are Farmar and Bynum still getting minutes?

meanwhile, the kobe bryant shoes are on sale in my neighborhood for $30

Wednesday, March 21, 2007
    Kobe has most popular jersey in USA, China[/b]

ESPN.com news services

Kobe Bryant now has the most popular jersey in China, too.

The Los Angeles Lakers' star has the top-selling jersey there, while sales of Yao Ming's jersey in his home country continue to fall, according to results released by the NBA on Tuesday.

Bryant moved up three spots to replace Tracy McGrady, Yao's teammate with the Houston Rockets, atop the list. McGrady slipped to third, while Yao dropped three spots to sixth.

Bryant, who switched from No. 8 to No. 24 this season, also had the top-selling jersey in the United States. He increased his popularity in Asia after touring the continent last summer, even though he was unable to play for the United States in the world championships after knee surgery.

Allen Iverson remained second for the second straight year, while Dwyane Wade and LeBron James rounded out the top five.

Rankings were based on sales in China from the start of the season through the All-Star break.

NBA retail sales in China are expected to rise by more than 50 percent this year, the NBA said, according to Bloomberg News. The league plans, in conjunction with adidas, the exclusive NBA jersey supplier, to open 10 NBA stores in the country by 2008, Bloomberg reported.

The number of viewing options of NBA games are on the rise as well, with broadcasts available on 51 television stations in China, up from 32 last year, according to Bloomberg.

At 1.3 billion, China is the world's most populous country.

(Source)

The Los Angeles Lakers' star has the top-selling jersey there, while sales of Yao Ming's jersey in his home country continue to fall, according to results released by the NBA on Tuesday.

With this information, we can only hope that the Chinese will slowly stop voting for Yao Ming and T-Mac for the all-star game.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Walton and Odom played last night. I they remain health and in the line up until the playoffs, dont sleep on the Lakers. At best they could be spoilers.
    Cats keep thinkin that the top four teams are automatically advancing to the second round because of thier superior regular season records. I think one of these mo fuckas is gonna get surprised in the first round.

Walton and Odom are slowly getting back in the system. It will take some more time.
    But as soon as they get to that same intensity as the other players, the Lakers will start to make some noise. We've already seen that having Walton on the floor makes a hell of a difference. By playoff time, they should be clicking. Atleast I'm hoping they will.

Batmon, you are right. I too won't be surprised if someone in the Elite West falls in the first round. Dallas and Phoenix are pretty much a lock to advance. If the Lakers can maintain their position with the 6th spot, i'm liking the SA matchup.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What does "Kobe" mean in Chinese???

With this information, we can only hope that the Chinese will slowly stop voting for Yao Ming and T-Mac for the all-star game.

I was watching a Houston game recently. There's no synergy whatsoever, but I like both players. Besides, what other true center is in the West?

Well there's a city in Japan called Kobe, where his name is from, supposedly. His parents were eating the Kobe beef (the finest steak in Japan), and they liked it so much that they named him that. I don't know if this is true, but that's what I heard from someone.

• what other true center is in the West?

Hey Rock, this looks like a prelude to a ONE-HANDED DUNK to me!

His parents were eating the Kobe beef (the finest steak in Japan), and they liked it so much that they named him that.

Kobe beef = exceedingly popular around here, too

Besides, what other true center is in the West?

Duh, dude. Only the BEST true center in the West!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    what other true center is in the West?

Hey Rock, this looks like a prelude to a ONE-HANDED DUNK to me!

He probably back-rimmed it.

Well there's a city in Japan called Kobe, where his name is from, supposedly. His parents were eating the Kobe beef (the finest steak in Japan), and they liked it so much that they named him that. I don't know if this is true, but that's what I heard from someone.

Kobe beef is spectacular, but naming your child after your dinner is a little suspect.

Jokes aside, Kobe is actually a pretty cool name.

His parents were eating the Kobe beef (the finest steak in Japan), and they liked it so much that they named him that.

Kobe beef = exceedingly popular around here, too

Without question, OG.