Where Do You Keep Your Butter?

HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
edited December 2006 in Strut Central
Hi,I have a security guard who works for me & I let him use the kitchen in my office. He doesn't make a mess and I have no complaints about the guy. I noticed that he keeps a stick of butter in the cupboards & not the fridge. Is this common? I keep my butter in the fridge. Always have. Are there any other cupboard butter dudes out there?peaceh

Comments

• I always thought it was supposed to go in the fridge, but wifey keeps it in one of those "butter dish" things on the counter. It is nice to have nice spreadable butter at the ready whenever you need it, for whatever you need it for. It hasn't made me sick yet.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My gf refuses to refrigerate ketchup. It pisses me the fuck off.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    if you keep it outside of the fridge it spreads much easier, but I guess it doesnt preserve as long. Although, I've never seen mouldly butter, anyone?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I hate that too. I also refrigerate peanut butter. The only thing I'll keep in the cupboard is canned & dry goods.

peace

h

• My gf refuses to refrigerate ketchup. It pisses me the fuck off.

i grew up with cold ketchup, cold or not at all. maybe it's an usny thing. haha.

I think butter is straight for a long time at room temperature. I found this though:

"To prevent a type of spoilage called rancidity, protect butter from heat, light and air. Rancid butter has an unpleasant taste and smell. To prevent rancidity, never store butter at room temperature. For ease in spreading, remove butter from the refrigerator 10 to 15 minutes before using it."

Although I have never seen butter go bad. I think most people use it before it goes bad. I tend to use it more when it is left out because, as everybody else mentioned, it's easier to use, so it gets used.

• get a dish. put the cover on. and leave it on the coutner; you'll be much happier.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I keep it in tupperware on the counter, it does go bad eventually but it's almost always used up before it gets to that point.

Cold Butter =

Ketchup/Mustard in the fridge.
    Peanut Butter in the cupboard.
    Soy Sauce cupboard.
    Hot Sauce cupboard.

• get a dish. put the cover on. and leave it on the coutner; you'll be much happier.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    DUMP HER.

• Ketchup/Mustard in the fridge.
    Soy Sauce cupboard.
    Hot Sauce cupboard.

Bingo.

How about SYRUP though? And I ain't talkin' bout sizzurp...

Fridge or Cabinet?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I keep my butter in the fridge. Hot toast + cold butter = excellent spreading.

I won't use "Real headz know the deal" graemlin.

• Ketchup/Mustard in the fridge.
    Soy Sauce cupboard.
    Hot Sauce cupboard.

Bingo.

How about SYRUP though? And I ain't talkin' bout sizzurp...

Fridge or Cabinet?

I say Fridge. I like my syrup to have a thicker consistency so it's not as runny when I put it on my waffles/pancakes/french toast.

Also, I'm a self-guilting fan of processed, flavoured maple syrup. I enjoy pure maple syrup, and have even had it straight from a maple farm. But I still enjoy me some butter flavoured Aunt Jemimah more. And sometimes I feel guilty about it.

On the butter tip... I'm a low salt margerine man. And I keep it in the fridge. It's easier to spread at cooler temperatures, and healthier. The only thing I need real butter for is corn on the cob.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Indeed. Add marmite to that equation and you have pleasure unparalleled.

Alternatively........

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Indeed. Add marmite to that equation and you have pleasure unparalleled.

Alternatively........

Hot toast or Human Body + cold butter = excellent spreading

• mustard and ketchup has more flavor un-refridgerated, butter in the butter dish, makes it smoove, I hate hard butter. I knew someone who freaked at un-refridgerated butter, thought it would make him sick. All I had to remind him was..."uhhh, folks ate butter for a long long time before the ice box was invented". He just said "Oh, yeah"

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    "uhhh, folks ate butter for a long long time before the ice box was invented". He just said "Oh, yeah"

but the average life expectation was 32 years.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "uhhh, folks ate butter for a long long time before the ice box was invented". He just said "Oh, yeah"

Yeah, they drank milk, too - but you don't see me
    keeping my quart of 2% in the pantry with the cookies...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    one butter in the fridge one not in the fridge

• My gf refuses to refrigerate ketchup. It pisses me the fuck off.
    DUMP HER.

those are the sort of things that just eat away at you over the years. cut your losses dude.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    as a lactose intolerant celiac, i'm extremely offended by all this "bread and butter" talk.

you know there are other ways to lubricate and add fat to your starch.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    I won't use "Real headz know the deal" graemlin.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I got pissed at never being able to spread butter on bread without destroying the bread when I kept it in the fridge. So now I refuse to use butter at all & only use margarine/spread. So much more convenient.

• I got pissed at never being able to spread butter on bread without destroying the bread when I kept it in the fridge. So now I refuse to use butter at all & only use margarine/spread. So much more convenient.

This should make all of us happy:

Spreadable butter, son. You can keep it cold AND it spreads without tearing the bread.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I got pissed at never being able to spread butter on bread without destroying the bread when I kept it in the fridge. So now I refuse to use butter at all & only use margarine/spread. So much more convenient.

This should make all of us happy:

Yeah I tried that too, but it still came out of the fridge hard as rocks, granted, once out it does soften quicker, but who wants to mess around when you are making your lunch in the morning & already running late for work. Spread fixes everything.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I can't eat that crap. I wouldn't let me butler eat it either!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    my relatives in vancouver keep butter outside of the fridge and i always thought that was weird. i was thinking theres no way you could do that in hawaii cos shit would melt but i guess it's weird to do that everywhere else too?

• dijon mustard at room temperature....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    On the butter tip... I'm a low salt margerine man. And I keep it in the fridge. It's easier to spread at cooler temperatures, and healthier. The only thing I need real butter for is corn on the cob.

If health reasons have something to do with it, I hope you're being choosy about your spread... a lot of the regular margarines/spreads are TERRIBLE for you...

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Butter = Cupboard
    Ketchup = Cupboard
    Hotsause = Cupboard

In the case of mustard however,

If you squeeze it, it can[/b] go in the cupboard

If you spread it, its a fridge only[/b] affair

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    My girl saw this clip on the Food Network, and she copped a butter bell. Now we got soft butter that keeps for a few weeks:

http://www.butterbell.com/flash/butterbell2_player.swf

Peep http://www.butterbell.com/ for more info.