Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I was going to list "Steal This Album" but that was 95 I think.

dude it was like 98.

Yeah - that was my mistake. I went to the Ego Trip Book of Rap Lists to see which albums ended up on their 98 list since I couldn't find mine (but The Coup wasn't on their. Or maybe it was and I missed it).

The irony is that I pushed that Coup album so hard their label asked me to do publicity work for them. I just can't remember what came out when. At this point 95 might as well be 98 and vice versa. I blame google - who needs long-term memory?

It would have been out of the question wack to spit whole lines from someone elses song in the past. But today its completely common practice. Jay-z does it all the damn time, and in turn others do it to jay-z. People look at it now like its a sign of respect, not a jack move.

no its still very wack, the fanbase is just too young to know the lines have been jacked or they dont care enough to pay attention. thats why hip hop is mostly shit now.

And yet hip-hop continues to inspire rabid fandom from people who actually like how it is now.

Please to reconcile?

Are today's rap fans some how stupider than we were at their age? I doubt that.

• disconnected from the west coast
    List of West Coast classics from 96 and on not including Dre's 2001.

probably stretching the term classic but fuck it.

Dre "Chronic 2001"
    Suga Free "Street Gospel"
    Quik "Rhythmalism"
    Eastsidaz "Gang Bang Music"
    Snoop "Paid the Cost to Be the Boss" (personal classic)
    Brotha Lynch "Loaded" (not sure if this was after 96)
    Makaveli
    Game "Documentary"
    E40 "Hall of Game"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    disconnected from the west coast

Dre "Chronic 2001"
    Quik "Rhythmalism"
    Makaveli
    Game "Documentary"
    E40 "Hall of Game"

your missing some backpack classics as well

Ugly Duckling "Journey to Anywhere"
    Jurassic 5 "EP"
    Aceyalone "Book Of Human Language"

I agree with 1/2 your list and understand why you put most of the other half but why the Eastsidaz?

• disconnected from the west coast

Dre "Chronic 2001"
    Quik "Rhythmalism"
    Makaveli
    Game "Documentary"
    E40 "Hall of Game"

Jurassic 5 "EP"

I agree with 1/2 your list and understand why you put most of the other half but why the Eastsidaz?

Battlecat is the hip hop version of AR Music to me. He's colt.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Dre "Chronic 2001"
    Quik "Rhythmalism"
    Makaveli
    Game "Documentary"
    E40 "Hall of Game"

Jurassic 5 "EP"

that equals out to more of a personal favorite than a "classic album though (no disrespect)

You Gotta Add That 2Pac double album to the mix too. Shit still gets played on the radio like its coming out next week.

• Dre "Chronic 2001"
    Quik "Rhythmalism"
    Makaveli
    Game "Documentary"
    E40 "Hall of Game"

Jurassic 5 "EP"

that equals out to more of a personal favorite than a "classic album though (no disrespect)

You Gotta Add That 2Pac double album to the mix too. Shit still gets played on the radio like its coming out next week.

I can't front on the impact "All Eyes on Me" had but I never liked it as a whole. People played that out from day one. His classic is "Me Against the World" to me..

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

would be waaaay too personal... "Dillinger and Young Gotti" etc......

AND ABSOLUTELY NO OVERATED 2PAC CRAP

• List of West Coast classics from 96 and on not including Dre's 2001.

would be waaaay too personal... "Dillinger and Young Gotti" etc...

hahahahah. I almost put that shit on there too. Daz brought the next level with the "B-I-T-C-H" song. The new DPG album actually has some vintage era "g funk" on it too that is heatery.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    The new DPG album actually has some vintage era "g funk" on it too that is heatery.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

hahahahah. I almost put that shit on there too. Daz brought the next level with the "B-I-T-C-H" song. The new DPG album actually has some vintage era "g funk" on it too that is heatery.

really? I slept on all that. I need to go back and get some more west coast piff.

• List of West Coast classics from 96 and on not including Dre's 2001.

really? I slept on all that. I need to go back and get some more west coast piff.

You have to be a Daz fan to fuck with it. When he does the melodic shit with the opera shit on top, its always heaters.

• The new DPG album actually has some vintage era "g funk" on it too that is heatery.

On some "name dropper" shit, I went to Warren G's a couple weeks ago and he had some of that G Funk FIIIIIREEEE. Shit was crazy. I was waiting for the Twins to come thru or something. Dude is tough on his record game too. I really want that sound to come back for the west coast. I'm loving the hyphy shit and everything but that good g funk will have you driving around happy as fuck. (see "Big Pimpin").

• Seriously, it's kind of weird how cats don't check for the the funk too much anymore. Locally guys like G-Man are killing it right now, and overseas is about the only place that stuff is moving or so it appears.

• Seriously, it's kind of weird how cats don't check for the the funk too much anymore. Locally guys like G-Man are killing it right now, and overseas is about the only place that stuff is moving or so it appears.

After people get tired of 808 beats, funk will come back. Rap is getting hella predictable.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Shaq Fu and "12 inches Of Snow" are classics

• Aaaaaay... what it do, what the bizness is. I see this 7 pager is dying out (and believe it or not, I am not here to stir it back up again... if I'm lyin' then I'm flyin' then), but can one of you Jeezyphites tell me who did the "Guess Who's Back" beat? Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!

• Shaq Fu

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Aaaaaay... what it do, what the bizness is. I see this 7 pager is dying out (and believe it or not, I am not here to stir it back up again... if I'm lyin' then I'm flyin' then), but can one of you Jeezyphites tell me who did the "Guess Who's Back" beat? Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!

if you're talking about Go Crazy (with the Curtis Sample), Don Cannon from the Aphillyates produced that.

• Aaaaaay... what it do, what the bizness is. I see this 7 pager is dying out (and believe it or not, I am not here to stir it back up again... if I'm lyin' then I'm flyin' then), but can one of you Jeezyphites tell me who did the "Guess Who's Back" beat? Yeeeeaaaaaaaaaah!

if you're talking about Go Crazy (with the Curtis Sample), Don Cannon from the Aphillyates produced that.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHH! That's the one, I shoulda been done known the real title (I just looked at the fakeass title on my illegally downloaded copy... whoever ripped it didn't even spell the fakeass title right, "Geuss whos Back"... some of y'all know what I'm talkin' bout, you got that schitt off of soulseek too). Thanks, mayne... I ain't mad at that schitt. A-ight, I'm out... you can catch me in the club, pimpin', doin' my thang.

• Kon,

I never said that an album is either "well crafted" OR it a classic. I think someone else suggestesd that there are well-crafted albums that don't get classic status. At no point would I ever say that albums like "The Blueprint" and "Supreme Clientele" are anything LESS than classic.

Oliver....
    go back and read your posts, these are YOUR words

What about "The Blueprint"? or "Supreme Clientele"? I don't know if either of those two albums really "broke new ground" but rather, were just very well-crafted albums that (arguably) demonstrated what the pinnacle of the genre could produce under the right circumstances.

Kon,

I never said that an album is either "well crafted" OR it a classic. I think someone else suggestesd that there are well-crafted albums that don't get classic status. At no point would I ever say that albums like "The Blueprint" and "Supreme Clientele" are anything LESS than classic.

Oliver....

What about "The Blueprint"? or "Supreme Clientele"? I don't know if either of those two albums really "broke new ground" but rather, were just very well-crafted albums that (arguably) demonstrated what the pinnacle of the genre could produce under the right circumstances.

Kon,

You misunderstand - i don't demand that my albums have to break new ground in order to qualify as classics, whereas, you seem to think this is essential to marking an album as a classic. So yes, Supreme and Blueprint were well-crafted CLASSICS even if they didn't represent paradigm shifts in hip-hop.

I mean, what does a phrase like "demonstrate the pinnacle of the genre" mean if not "this shit is classic material"?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    wow, I just spent 30 minutes reading this schitt.

I love Thug Motivation, it is one of the few LPs of 2005 that I can listen to all the way through and love it (well I skip one or two tracks) but still, that is crazy to me. It's a perfect marriage of beats and rhymes, gritty and dark. I'm not pretending to be a crack dealer, schitt, I'm busting kids for wearing Stop Snitching tee shirts in the hallways, but in my private mind garden, or in my personal life rather I listen to this record a lot and I appreciate it on many levels, I just wish millions of teenagers didn't take it so literally. Crack addiction is not cool.

• Kon,

Oliver....

Kon,

You misunderstand - i don't demand that my albums have to break new ground in order to qualify as classics, whereas, you seem to think this is essential to marking an album as a classic. So yes, Supreme and Blueprint were well-crafted CLASSICS even if they didn't represent paradigm shifts in hip-hop.

I mean, what does a phrase like "demonstrate the pinnacle of the genre" mean if not "this shit is classic material"?

Seriously...stop dancing around with words as if you were writing an article for some magazine.

"were just very well crafted albums that demonstrated what the pinnacle of the genre could produce" does not equal bonafied classic to me...kind of on the see saw about them, like maybe, maybe not type shit. Just come out and say it! Look at your other post, you tried to shift what you said to "I think someone else suggested that these are well crafted albums...etc" go on with that shit.

say what you mean and mean what you say....1 word described these lps from the JUMP ! CLASSIC
    after reading your posts it appears almost as if you back peddle...

Aside from that I think you do know what a classic is, and what should merit a classic. So when i put this lp against other lps considered to be classic...shit is pale to me.

As for bsides last post...

I am not hating on all new shit ! Im basically saying, if this is what is to be considered classic, then it speaks volumes for what else is out there. To get excited about the current state of things...i dont get it!?
    This era will never be referred to as golden...as far as im concerned this era really isnt doing much for rap music..pushing the envelope etc..shits all fucking recycled...am i wrong ?
    Im bored, ive heard just about every angle on selling drugs. For yall that dont live in the hood... Shit is not the move..vicariously living through these "rappers" is a joke. All these fucking corny kids with extra medium t shirts jocking this shit...knowing damn well theyd never stand a chance....they eat this shit up.

Again dont get me wrong...i love many lps that talk about this shit..(my summer vacation/death certificate) Im just looking for growth and a new angle on it...if im going to call something a classic.

At this point i expect alot more, considering how long its been done

BIG BUSINESS: MURDA MURDA MURDA AND KILL KILL KILL

How about what Jake1 said "rap is hella predictable" IT MOST CERTAINLY IS!!!!!

As far as this generation not being up on the classics that new artists quote is not my fault. Nobody showed me...i cared enough to want to know.
    I like Cam( aside from his corny attempt to go at jay) I like Clipse. I like Freeway..etc

Bottom line it seems most on here agree with what im trying to say...its all too predictable now.
    RE PROGRAM
    At no point did i dismiss this lp as pure garbage... im not mad at it...classic tho ? Helllllllll No

Djanna..what a fun read that must have been!!!
    Im glad to see you say this about the kids...a very close friend of mine is an 8th grade teacher, the kids REALLY think this is the truth...That is a whole nutha topic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    [ All these fucking corny kids with extra medium t shirts jocking this shit...knowing damn well theyd never stand a chance....they eat this shit up.

And you didnt eat up suspect stuff when you were a kid? C'mon let the kids live.
    Yes, the industry is partly to blame. And I fuckin' hate to see kids wear SCARFACE leather jackets, but aint that just nature?
    I can give two shits about Young Jeezy, I'll ride this shit out.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Yeah, I was just thinking about the kids.

You know, we (us on Soulstrut) are doctors, lawyers, teachers, musicians, engineers, artists, business owners. We are adults with careers and options and choices in life. My kids at school don't have that. They have learning diabilities, dead cousins, dads in jail, welfare checks, moms hooking/doing drugs/hitting them etc etc, they are coming from such a different place.

There's no risk of me quitting my job to slang crack. But to the 16-year old in my class who can't read it's a different story. I don't want my kids stashing yams at they auntie's house, I want them to graduate high school

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Damn, if i ever do an album, im definitely naming it that. So ill.

• BIG BUSINESS: MURDA MURDA MURDA AND KILL KILL KILL

This would have to be your cover

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Masta Ace Slaughterhouse reference.

Goddamnit, I've written this response twice now: the first time, what I wrote didn't get posted for some reason. The second time, my daughter hit my keyboard. At the least the upside is: the replies get shorter each time.

1) Kon - I have no idea why you keep insisting that I'm contradicting or back-tracking. Here's what I wrote the first time around:

what's the last rap album to really break some new ground, either within the genre or hip-hop in general? I'd offer up the OutKast "Speakerboxxx/Love Below" CDs. What about "The Blueprint"? or "Supreme Clientele"? I don't know if either of those two albums really "broke new ground" but rather, were just very well-crafted albums that (arguably) demonstrated what the pinnacle of the genre could produce under the right circumstances.

Not every "classic" has to be a paradigm shift: think about classic rock or soul albums.

That's not "magazine writing". All I'm saying is that "a classic album does not have to change the game to be considered a classic."

So where have I contradicted myself?

2) Any conversation about what is and what is not a classic is an exercise in historical revisionism. We can only make these determinations in hindsight. Maybe, in ten years from now, if rappers are all ad-libbing "yeeeaaaah" in their rhymes, we might say, more definitively, that Jeezy's album was a classic. But there's no way we can know right now if it is or isn't.

That said, I don't think it's fair to argue whether an album DESERVES to be considered by only looking to the past. STANDARDS CHANGE. Think about what people might have considered a classic in 1984...how many of those albums were still remembered in 1994, let alone 2004?

3) What I enjoy about conversations about "classic status" is that the term "classic" inherently also suggests "consensus." So while I actually feel the same way about today's hip-hop as Kon does (to an extent), I still think it's worthwhile to understand why certain songs, albums or artists resonate with people today even if personally, I don't "get" their appeal right off the bat.

That doesn't mean "Laffy Taffy" should be nominated as a modern classic simply because two million people rock it as a ringtone. But there's something valuable - to me - in trying to understand and appreciate music that other people like even when it doesn't fit into our personal criteria of what "good/great/classic music" should sound like. I have an iPod full of rap songs that can fulfill my desire for back-in-the-day nostalgia. I'm still equally committed to trying to understand where hip-hop has moved today even if that means acknowledging that it might have left me behind.