Young Jeezy: Thug Motivation 101 = Modern Classic?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Lord Willin is a fucking awesome record.
    But is it a classic of "The Fix" caliber?

IMO, yes. I don't know if it's as good pound for pound but that's like arguing which is better, Illmatic or Cuban Links. Different animals and shit. Leopards and Elephants.
    I was just being sarcastic Beyond those two, I can't really think of anything else that would be considered to reach "classic" status. I wanna say "Tha Carter" but I'm not too sure. I firmly believe "Street Novelist" has future classic status.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Now please tell me what was interesting or original about that common record?

I like it. plain and simple. i think the beats are dope, the flow is there,it got me in a good mood, it is not too long, so every song could grow on me (no ayo). And it's a totally different ballpark than YJ. Now, i agree with your statement about mafia people probably not liking mafia movies. As far as i know, all heavy dudes in my area rather listen to some smooth R'n'B than listening to some 5thward ish...
    and i agree that the times cannot be better for Rap! Hell, last weekend in the club we played everything from money boss to kanye to some swedish ish to some dutch ish to some westcoast to some 'intimate' and all the way back. people loved it. Actually I prefer djing rapmusic now to what it was back in 99/2000 when you were more formated and had to please certain crowds (e.g. Rawkus or Death Row) I mean, you probably still can do that today, but i don't give a shit. Maybe an asset of gettin older. If I play, I play what I like, simple as that. which brings me back to the start of this post. nuff said.

Nah, i dont think its that bad. I just caught caught up in being provocative. The corner was hot. The song with john mayer though was gay!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The corner was hot.

which song did josh put over the instro on his funky skunk mix? I liked that combo! someone please skool a lil dude....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The corner was hot.

which song did josh put over the instro on his funky skunk mix? I liked that combo! someone please skool a lil dude....
    knuck if you buck by crime mob if i remember correctly.

The corner was hot.

Thanks! Never heard of'em....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    The corner was hot.

Thanks! Never heard of'em....
    disconnected from the streets....

hell yeah, I just zip my latte macciato looking all fresh in my LRG clothing

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

shit, im at work AT a coffee shop right now.

• Lord Willin is a fucking awesome record.

IMO, yes. I don't know if it's as good pound for pound but that's like arguing which is better, Illmatic or Cuban Links. Different animals and shit. Leopards and Elephants.
    I was just being sarcastic
    Beyond those two, I can't really think of anything else that would be considered to reach "classic" status. I wanna say "Tha Carter" but I'm not too sure. I firmly believe "Street Novelist" has future classic status.

I would not say Tha Carter but I would definitely say Street Novelist.

• a side note: never trust a person named winston, and chubby computer nerd fags who can't get laid talking about what makes a rap album a classic. not directed at anybody in particular.

or....

WAS IT?!?!?

L-O-L. SAYING!!!!!!![/b]

if you think I'm soft in real life then you never met me

[color:red] [/color]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Beyond those two, I can't really think of anything else that would be considered to reach "classic" status. I wanna say "Tha Carter" but I'm not too sure. I firmly believe "Street Novelist" has future classic status.

There's gotta be something else though..

shit, im at work AT a coffee shop right now.

lol...so street hope you also got some sizzurpin there!

• I would not say Tha Carter but I would definitely say Street Novelist.

Only in the private mind gardens of a select few. I'm one of those few, but still....

• Lord Willin is a fucking awesome record.

Purple Haze has gotten a lot of end-to-end burn for me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Did i hear Odub agree that Jeezy dropped a classic record?

Study up, young buck. I've given the album good marks the whole live long year, in multiple publications.

People should also realize that "classic" is relative, not only because criterias change, but more importantly, the people empowered to designate "a classic" change. Not to oversimplify this, but if a critical mass of 18-25 year olds thinks a rap album is a classic and affirm that status through time, then that's all she wrote.

What's funny to me are the similiarties b/t young cats who don't understand why certain, "older" albums are considered classics. Like, I bet you could find a bunch of 16 year olds who don't get what's so good about "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx". Likewise, you'll find 30+ year olds who can't understand why Jeezy gets so much love even if if their younger cousins think he's the best thing ever. Hip-hop is so mercurial, it's hard for anyone to stay with it and feel love for it over time.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Only in the private mind gardens of a select few. I'm one of those few, but still....
    One of the very few instances where I will use this:

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Can't believe I forgot about that. If the album ended at Get Em Girls, it would be near-perfect in my mind. Of course, I always skip Do the Robot on "Street Novelist" so I guess it's not a big thing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    People should also realize that "classic" is relative, not only because criterias change, but more importantly, the people empowered to designate "a classic" change.
    There are albums that are widely considered to be classics within a genre though. Rap might be too young for that yet, but I'm sure when these albums we are discussing are a bit older, there will be a bunch of albums that reach a general concensus among knowledgeable fans of the genre.

• What's funny to me are the similiarties b/t young cats who don't understand why certain, "older" albums are considered classics. Like, I bet you could find a bunch of 16 year olds who don't get what's so good about "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx". Likewise, you'll find 30+ year olds who can't understand why Jeezy gets so much love even if if their younger cousins think he's the best thing ever. Hip-hop is so mercurial, it's hard for anyone to stay with it and feel love for it over time.

very true...this is why

YOU MUST LEEEEAAARN !

know your history....

imo a classic should almost change the game...to the point where others now bite YOUR shit
    sorry to tell yall...aint nobody biting young jeezy...he is following at best

FUCK RAP

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    aint nobody biting young jeezy...

Hip-hop is so mercurial, it's hard for anyone to stay with it and feel love for it over time.

Yep, everybody has their own HipHop due to the factors awareness and age! But I like to be challenged and listen to new stuff...I think if you really appreciate music, staying with it is not a real problem. It's all a matter of never stoppin', being able to not gettin' stuck and living in the past...just do like nice'n smooth and take the old to the new!!!!

• whats the confusion about ?
    pretty simple...if you are truly unique and different time has shown us you get bit, take a look back
    wu,biggie,pac,jay, cam, rakim, nas...etc

this whole shit got set off from bsides giving dude "classic status"

if you like him cool...but classic ? set some trends 1st, break some new ground.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

whats the confusion about ?
    pretty simple...if you are truly unique and different time has shown us you get bit, take a look back

if you like him cool...but classic ? set some trends 1st, break some new ground.

you don't listen to recent rap music much do you?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

how badly would I be blasting myself if I said "ditto"

• Of course, I always skip Do the Robot on "Street Novelist" so I guess it's not a big thing.

What the what?

And I thought you were hyphy.

• whats the confusion about ?

this would make anticon's music for the advancement of the advanced listener a classic album.

yes? im just asking

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Out of curiosity I went to amazon.com to see what this sounded like, and suprisingly it sounded exactly like what I thought it would sound like. Ilike to read reviews on amazon because they are always funny. This line made me laugh and I had to listen to see if he was serious:

"How about the mispelling of the title track "Trap Star" where he repeatedly spells it "T-R-A-P-S-T-R"?

hahahaha, its true.

wait a minute... camron? You can get down with dipset, but jeezy is totally wack to you?

Sure your not just a region hatter?

Out of curiosity I went to amazon.com to see what this sounded like, and suprisingly it sounded exactly like what I thought it would sound like. Ilike to read reviews on amazon because they are always funny. This line made me laugh and I had to listen to see if he was serious:

"How about the mispelling of the title track "Trap Star" where he repeatedly spells it "T-R-A-P-S-T-R"?

hahahaha, its true.

T-R-A-P-S-T-ARRRRR!!!

Oh well, at least you listened to it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Normally, I'd agree with you here but the truth is: what's the last rap album to really break some new ground, either within the genre or hip-hop in general? I'd offer up the OutKast "Speakerboxxx/Love Below" CDs. What about "The Blueprint"? or "Supreme Clientele"? I don't know if either of those two albums really "broke new ground" but rather, were just very well-crafted albums that (arguably) demonstrated what the pinnacle of the genre could produce under the right circumstances.

Not every "classic" has to be a paradigm shift: think about classic rock or soul albums.

As for Jeezy being a follower vs. getting bit by others - the two are NOT mutually exclusive. One could argue that Jay-Z simply copped the same kind of topical ground Biggie, Mobb Deep and the Wu were fucking with.

Shit, for that matter, was NWA even that "original"? Weren't they just riffing on older OG gangsta rappers like Schooly D?

Better said:

raw hamburger, post your list of classic rap albums or you're a vanilla frostee cone.